Big Concern For Civ VI

paulmclem

Warlord
....is that it might be as addictive as Civ 5 :mischief:

Dog should have been walked 3 hours ago. Just one hour of Civ I said. However, Carthage and a nasty unhappiness problem had to be dealt with. They now both have been.

Time for our walk :)

I'd heard of the "One more turn" syndrome. But it's really true. There are times when you just can't leave without seeing a bit more!

I've played my last game of Civ 5. It's time for our five-yearly comet chase.

Civ5? What was that?
Civ4 to Civ6! :)
Sometimes it seems that Civilization is following the Star Trek line of 'Even numbered Civs don't suck'. By this I mean the odd numbered ones seem to have more complaints. Graphics, corruption, 1UPT etc.

Civ2 was awesome. Civ4 was awesome. Now Civ6 looks awesome. :D Can't wait!

Civ5? What was that?
Civ4 to Civ6! :)
Sometimes it seems that Civilization is following the Star Trek line of 'Even numbered Civs don't suck'. By this I mean the odd numbered ones seem to have more complaints. Graphics, corruption, 1UPT etc.

Civ2 was awesome. Civ4 was awesome. Now Civ6 looks awesome. :D Can't wait!

Seems to be a good trend. Bodes well for Civ VI. :D

I wasn't into Civ 5 at all, but I just recently came across the Community Patch Project mod, and it has made the game SO much better for me. It takes me back to the "One More Turn Syndrome" that I felt with Civ4/Fall From Heaven, for better or for worse.

Yup. The info for Civ 6 is simply too delicious. I can no longer enjoy Civ V.

I wonder if many people will simply move on from V to VI and not go back. I only started V because I saw VI advertised and thought "That looks good". So I bought V to see if I would enjoy TBS/Civ i.e. some Strategy games LOOK great but the game-play not so much. Thankfully Civ V both look good and was good.

Think I'll probably only play VI from next month, but you never know.

If I had a dollar for every time my wife gave me a dirty look because I had a bad case of one more turn syndrome I could probably buy and take a month off work to play CiVI...

The biggest problem with Civ for me is this website, its like the reverse AA. All it does is fuel my addiction and makes the wait that much more unbearable.

Any tips on self-inflicted one-month comas would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly I find it hard to believe many of you won't be right about awful balance and AI. I remember previous releases too clearly. Civ 5's near release demonstration of the 1upt combat on the map of the Nile region, with the AI very foolishly feeding its troops into a bottleneck meatgrinder. Many were dismayed, others hopeful for improvement before release. Nothing changed before release of course. This doesn't trouble me though.

I think it may be slightly better this time since they seem to have built off Civ5 a little more closely, and have hopefully been able to carry over much of the benefits of so many years of optimization. But it's still unlikely going to be much better than we see.

That being said, I don't think it's worth worrying about. It will be optimized in time, Firaxis, with only one moderate exception has a great track record of refinement. If you want to like the game, just keep that in mind. There's no need for wild expectations here, the process is all pretty set in stone. Our expectations aught to be pretty tempered by now.

great games take time, and you can't develop in a vacuum forever.

I wonder if many people will simply move on from V to VI and not go back. I only started V because I saw VI advertised and thought "That looks good". So I bought V to see if I would enjoy TBS/Civ i.e. some Strategy games LOOK great but the game-play not so much. Thankfully Civ V both look good and was good.

Think I'll probably only play VI from next month, but you never know.

That's how it worked for me when Civ V was announced. My brain got into Civ V Mode and I couldn't enjoy Civ IV any more. Unfortunately, Civ V still needed a bit of polishing, so I didn't play either until after a few patches.

That's how it worked for me when Civ V was announced. My brain got into Civ V Mode and I couldn't enjoy Civ IV any more. Unfortunately, Civ V still needed a bit of polishing, so I didn't play either until after a few patches.

I do still play Civ IV (albeit only Rhye's mod) and even SMAC on occasion, but nearly everything good about V was introduced after Beach took over. Now he's got the reins there's no going back. If VI turns out to suck, I'll wait for VII.

It's obvious that Firaxis is trying to make an impression with Civ6. Since vanilla 5 was such a disappoint. I was not this excited about Civ5 upon initial release. They definitely looked at 5 and said "what can we do to make this better?" Which makes me happy. Filling much needed holes like a real social policy system and more satisfying resources (Rice And Niter to name a couple). A Sim City style city building system is something I had always wanted but never thought would happen :D . The Amenities and Housing are a great idea. This only makes me more excited about the future expansions because they will mostly be a surprise. Can't wait!

Civ6 is going to be 100x more addictive than civ5, mark my words.

Indeed, sir. In fact, it will be ∞ x more addictive for me as I found Civilization 5 to be about as addicting as a root canal. :D

It's obvious that Firaxis is trying to make an impression with Civ6. Since vanilla 5 was such a disappoint. I was not this excited about Civ5 upon initial release. They definitely looked at 5 and said "what can we do to make this better?" Which makes me happy. Filling much needed holes like a real social policy system and more satisfying resources (Rice And Niter to name a couple). A Sim City style city building system is something I had always wanted but never thought would happen :D . The Amenities and Housing are a great idea. This only makes me more excited about the future expansions because they will mostly be a surprise. Can't wait!

I kindof tribute this to them making Ed Beach Lead Designer. He seems to drive towards more content the better. Makes meaty game.

This in contrast to civ5 where they went all in on reinventing and experiemting with few big changes. Wich made the game really barebone, and nothing to deep dive in.

Top Bottom