big worlds

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mike.doc, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Mike.doc

Mike.doc Warlord

Hi
    How to keep very big worlds, like XXL World, but this one doesn't work on my
    computer. (Bts 1.31, 2 Go Ram).
    Thanks everybody.

2. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Not sure what you mean by "keep", and "doesn't work" is too unspecific to really determine what your problem is. Also, there is no version 1.31 of BTS, do you mean 3.13?

Usually, people who can't play huge maps have either too little RAM (but your 2 GB should be enough), or their CPU is too slow, or they have too many processes running in the background.

I've got 1 GB RAM on an Athlon64 3500+ CPU, and I can play XXL maps from the "XXL world" mod, with 30 civs on them, without problems. When I reach the Industial era, I usually turn off some options (multi-figure units, HiRes graphics) to reduce lag. I've also tried the "Gigantic" world size from the XXL mod, but that one lagged from the very beginning, so I haven't really played it. I guess I'll need a second GB of RAM to do so.

3. Mike.doc

Mike.doc Warlord

..for your answer.
    Of course it is Bts 3.13, you're right. When I customize XXL World all seems ok, but after pushing on "launch" it appears the error message "Microsoft have to stop the program".
    What can I do?
    PS:Since my first call, I've found I can build big games with Smartmap.
    PPS:how to add these big maps with multi figures units like you can do?

4. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Sounds as if you didn't install XXL World correctly. Unfortunately it's been a year since I installed it myself, so I can't say what might have gone wrong in your installation. All I can say is that the mod worked for me, without any problems. You could ask for help in the XXL World thread, if you're still interested in using it.

I don't understand. "Multiple figures per unit" is a display option, you can toggle it on and off in the game's options. It doesn't have anything to do with maps (apart from the fact that both can put stress on the CPU). So I don't understand what you meant by "add these big maps with multi figures".