Bigger font size

JohnSmith1124

Chieftain
Screenshot (3).png

I've got a new computer and the display is full 1080p. Playing at that resolution makes the text uncomfortably small. I've searched the forum, and there was a tweak to a file(Civ4Theme_Common.thm) that can make text larger. It was a godsend! Makes everything comfortably readable, except for the City Bar text(Which has city name and Unit/Building production name) which was unaltered. Its kind of small, would like to know if there is a way to enlarge the text.

I haven't tested this, but try this and report back if it works:
Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xml
Code:
       <MiscArtInfo>
           <Type>CITY_BILLBOARDS</Type>
           <Path>None</Path>
           <!-- positive scale: city billboards use fonts from GameFont.tga -->
           <!-- negative scale: GFC billboards (uses the interface font) -->
           <fScale>1.0</fScale>
           <NIF>None</NIF>
           <KFM>None</KFM>
       </MiscArtInfo>
You don't want to use GameFont as it has a fixed pixel size. According to the comment, if you set fScale to -2.0, then it will be twice as big.

Also what did you do to increase font size? Increased numbers in SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font?

How does popup windows work with increased font size? Do you know how to increase the size of those as well?

Wow, brilliant.

Code:
<MiscArtInfo>
            <Type>CITY_BILLBOARDS</Type>
            <Path>None</Path>
            <!-- positive scale: city billboards use fonts from GameFont.tga -->
            <!-- negative scale: GFC billboards (uses the interface font) -->
            <fScale>-2.0</fScale>
            <NIF>None</NIF>
            <KFM>None</KFM>
        </MiscArtInfo>

Screenshot (1).png

I was messing around with it and it did not matter what the value was (-2.0, -1.0, -.5, -100.0) as long as it was negative. Currently I have it set to -1.0.

However for the bigger names it seems to get clipped at the edges.

Screenshot (2).png

That being said I might just keep it like this. I can still make the names out and I prefer it over squinting. :crazyeye:

To increse the font size I tweaked a file. Beyondthesword/Resource/Themes/Civ4/Civ4Theme_Common.thm

Code:
{
            // Anti-aliased font requires the Text combine
            // to be BlendSource instead of Source, which means
            // there must be an ALPHA channel in all fonts

// To save memory (both system and video) unused fonts are currently commented out.
            // Civ really only uses the following font sizes and styles:
            // 1 - normal
            // 2 - normal, 2 - bold, 2 - italic
            // 3 - normal, 3 - bold
            // 4 - normal, 4 - bold
            // -Moose

with SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font
            {
//                GFont    .Size0_Normal            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Regular",        16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//                GFont    .Size0_Bold                =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold",            16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//                GFont    .Size0_Italic            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Italic",        16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));
//                GFont    .Size0_BoldItalic        =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold Italic",    16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));

GFont    .Size1_Normal            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Regular",        18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//                GFont    .Size1_Bold                =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold",            18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//                GFont    .Size1_Italic            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Italic",        18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));
//                GFont    .Size1_BoldItalic        =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold Italic",    18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));

GFont    .Size2_Normal            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Regular",        18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
                GFont    .Size2_Bold                =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold",            18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
                GFont    .Size2_Italic            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Italic",        18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));
//                GFont    .Size2_BoldItalic        =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold Italic",    18, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));

GFont    .Size3_Normal            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Regular",        19, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
                GFont    .Size3_Bold                =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold",            19, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//                GFont    .Size3_Italic            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Italic",        19, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));
//                GFont    .Size3_BoldItalic        =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold Italic",    19, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));

GFont    .Size4_Normal            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Regular",        30, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
                GFont    .Size4_Bold                =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold",            30, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//                GFont    .Size4_Italic            =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Italic",        30, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));
//                GFont    .Size4_BoldItalic        =    GFont("Sylfaen",        "Bold Italic",    30, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ITALIC, GFC_FONT_ALPHA), 0, GRectMargin(1));
            }

.Normal                                =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_Normal;
            .Bold                                =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_Bold;
            .Italic                                =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_Italic;
            .BoldItalic                            =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_BoldItalic;

.Header                                =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size4_Normal;
            .HeaderBold                            =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size4_Bold;

.Footer                                =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Normal;
            .FooterBold                            =    SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold;

//            .Fixed                                =    GFont("Fonts/cour.ttf",        "Courier New",    "Regular",        17, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA));
//            .FixedBold                            =    GFont("Fonts/courbd.ttf",    "Courier New",    "Bold",            17, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_BOLD,    GFC_FONT_ALPHA));

}

This is my file as it is now, Custom. The numbers were originally 12, 14, 22, etc.. I'm not sure which pertains to which, I just messed around with it until I found something I liked. I know the last one Size4 changes the menu screen.

The popup windows dont change. I dont know how to make those bigger. If you get it too big the text can overlap. As it is now only the sevopedia has that issue, but its not a big deal for me.

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

hi, this is a very nice change,

would you be so kind in added the changed files here?

the pop up sizes i think are controlled directly from the python scripts.
try maininterface.py , perhaps on some function that relates to this popup, lets say onResearch or something,

The Civ4ArtDefines file goes here: Beyondthesword/Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xml <--------------- This enlarges the city bar text.

The Civ4Theme_Common file goes here: Beyondthesword/Resource/Themes/Civ4/Civ4Theme_Common.thm <-------------- This enlarges all other texts.

The Civ4ArtDefines file enlarges the text of the City Bar. However, for the bigger words, the names get clipped at the edges. Like I've shown in one of the Images.

I was thinking if there is a way to have the text supersede the city bar, maybe the names would not get clipped. If you have some input on how to do that, let me know.

Attachments

• Civ4Theme_Common.zip
    5 KB · Views: 56
  • CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 54
I've made some recent changes,

I tweaked the files a bit so things would fit better. I made the city bar text smaller, but
still bigger than it was before. Made it so the words dont get cutt.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

These are the directories for anyone thats interested:

Beyondthesword/Resource/Themes/Civ4/Civ4Theme_Common.thm

Beyondthesword/Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xm

Attachments

• Civ4Theme_Common.zip
    5 KB · Views: 77
  • CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 72