1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest War

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by djpjnr, Jan 24, 2020.

1. djpjnr

djpjnr Chieftain

I have started playing a old saved game of Civ 3 v1.22.
    sent a few spys to investigate.and found over 2000 mech infantry waiting for me ;( .
    was wondering if anyone had faced a this kind of problem?
    Army.jpg

need my speed likes this.
  2. justanick

justanick King

Large maps, few civs and long periods of peace lead to such a build up. I sense that those tactical nukes may come in handy against any stack of doom you may encounter.

I never faced a similar situation. Large maps require a tiresome amount of micromanagement if one want to play good despite the map size. Playing good often enough requires to create wars before the military can build up to such sizes.

I suspect that such amounts of troops are more likely to encounter at lower difficulty settings like emperor and below. Above emperor the total amount of troops may be higher, but wars of attrition help to facility involuntary disarmament over and over again.

3. vesperbot

vesperbot Chieftain

I wonder why does your side have a "0 Catapult" listed. And where is all *your* infantry, considering you only have 7 MI displayed?
    I thought that such a situation would first trigger either cultural or SS win - AIs normally can't handle such bloated military effectively. Unless your game was somehow modded say by raising OCN tenfold to allow greater core income.

4. justanick

justanick King

That may be related to slaves. Captured units or more precisely units of different nationality donnot cost any unit support. Also they can somehow mix up the F3-Screen.

Once Modern Armour is available one can skip on cheaper defenders. Defence 16 makes anything less than Mech Infantry obsolete. And even Mech Infantry is something one should probably no longer build or upgrade to once Modern Armour is available. Modern Armour is of way greater utility and has almost the same defence as Mech Inf.

Jivilov likes this.
  5. CKS

CKS Deity

Captured units don't show up on the list of your units, they show up down below, under captured units. You can see that the Ottomans have at least one captured Radar Artillery in the screenshot above. This isn't included in their 156 native Radar Artillery listed.

6. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I find the captured Stealth Bombers more irritating than the oversized ottoman army.

As this looks like an unmodded game: How can one capture Stealth Bombers? :confused:

As far as I know one can only capture defenseless units and only if one can build themself (like workers, settlers und scouts).

7. justanick

justanick King

The final version of Civ3 Conquests was 1.22. The final Version of Civ3 was 1.29. This screenshot seems to stem from Civ 3 1.22. So that is much outdated, rules may have changed since that. In any case one can only capture units one has the required tech for.

8. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    It must be a Conquests (v.1.22) save, since the Arabs, Carthaginians and Ottomans were/are in the game.

That minimap looks (a lot) bigger than the default Huge 160*160, though, so it might have been a little modded...

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Civ3 vanilla did not have a 1.22. It was 1.21 then 1.29. Stealth Bomber does not have a capture flag, should not be able to be captured, I cannot say that it is not bugged. Never saw the Ai with them, even on 250x250 Sid games. I have seen civs with over 4000 units, not Mechs, mostly infantry.

10. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    According to "Da Rules - Explained", the 'Capture' flag means that a unit is able to capture other (capturable) units, not that it can be captured itself. In the epic-game .biq, all land-units with the AI-strategy(s) 'Offensive' or/and 'Defensive' (must) also have the 'Capture' flag.

Conversely, the capturability of a 'normal' unit (i.e. not Hidden Nationality, or Leader, King, or Princess/Flag-units) depends on its A/D stats: any unit with D=0 (and A=0?) can be captured — in the epic game, Workers, Settlers, Scouts, Explorers, and bombardment-units — provided that the capturing Civ is already permitted to build that unit, e.g. Expansionist Civs can capture foreign Scouts/Explorers (but just for the sake of perversity, even though Hwach'a cannot be captured by other Civs, once Wang knows Gunpowder, Korean units can capture other Civs' Cannon! :crazyeye: )

Which also adds more evidence that the screenshot in the OP is from a modded game: if the Jerk could capture Ottoman Stealth Bombers, then presumably he not only knew how to build them, but their D-value (and A-value?) must also have been set to zero here. (I can't remember: did Stealth Bombers also have D=0 in Vanilla?)

As to the huge size of the AI-army, I'm guessing that the Diplo/Space VCs were also turned off for this game/mod — or it's being played beyond that win/loss notification.

11. vmxa

vmxa Deity

CA will should the winning player, if the game has ended.
    Don't think I ever build stealth in vanilla, but it was nearly 20 years ago. You do need the tech to capture them, not sure about needing resources, probably not.

In games with island civs, they build a ton of units. The higher the level the more than can build. I have landed on an island civ at Sid and they have no workers as they are auto scrapped, due to being at unit cap and no cash. A new unit comes out and something get disbanded. It really slows them down later in the game.

I have posted pix in the past, where I arrive and the island has units on every tile. Early it is spears, later infantry.

You are right about the game may be won/lost or a mod is used.