1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill O'Reilly on gays and kids at the baseball game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Atlas14, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Watch this if you haven't seen anything on it already

O'Reilly brought on the president of the "Family Values" culture campaign group, and then the executive director of gay pride in San Diego to discuss the controversey of having a designated "gay night" and "kids night" on the same day at the Padres ballpark. Kids got giveaway hats if they were under 12 that night.

O'Reilly called it "social engineering", but refused to say insist the Padres had some sort of gay agenda. The Family Values lady said that this was preposterous, and that the Padres were seeking to hurt our nation's kids. That kids shouldn't be exposed to that and neither should the parents have to explain to their kids why a guy is kissing another guy. And then both Bill and the lady claimed there was exhibitionism going on, which was clearly "inappropriate". She claimed that there shouldn't be any celebration of the gay lifestyle, which is what happened at the half-time show, and that they are trying to turn our kids into homosexuals. Many of the parents DID NOT know that it was gay night.

Bill: "You're putting too many gays into an area. Thats the problem. Nobody objects to homosexuals going to a baseball game, thats un-American to do that, but if you're going to cluster them on a promotion night...why would you do it on a "kids night"?

What are your thoughts on this? Bad idea to mix "gay night" with "kids night"?

I personally think its a little bit excessive to be promoting homosexuality on "kids night", but thats just me. I wouldn't take my kid there, not out of "fear" of homosexuals, but simply that kids don't need to be seeing some of the stuff that goes on there.

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Nobody should be allowed to switch hit on kids night.

3. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Why would a parent have to explain to a kid why a guy is kissing another guy? Do parents explain why a girl is kissing a guy? No, kids aren't stupid.

(Keeping your kid home from the baseball game where the queers are isn't going to keep them from being exposed to homosexuality reality.)

Homosexuals don't try to turn anyone into a homosexual. Homosexuals actually understand that people can't be "turned into" homosexuals.

What's going on there that you don't want your children to see?

4. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

Just having a gay night is wrong. Can I have man night? white people night? Blue eyed people night? Or how about fat people night? And much as I am for gay rights they only hurt them selves by throwing it in the face of every one else. Why can't gays just be like every one else and go do normal things with out the giant " Hey I'm gay!" banner. Most people don't care.

As for bill and the crazy lady they are of course over the top.

5. JollyRoger

Just having a kids night is wrong. Can I have man night? white people night? Blue eyed people night? Or how about fat people night? And much as I am for kids rights they only hurt them selves by throwing it in the face of every one else. Why can't kids just be like every one else and go do normal things with out the giant " Hey I'm a kid!" banner. Most people don't care.

6. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

Same here, bad timing. There are plenty of nights in a year to have separate nights for kids and gays, if they want to celebrate both nights. I don't see why it has to be a gay night, either. I have nothing against gays, it is just that I don't see the point on celebrating gayness in a baseball club, and even more in a club called Padres.

BTW, it sounds weird to use parents and Padres in the same sentence.

7. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

What a great post of such wonderful insight and ...... well nothing really. Actually it does little to further discussion. About what I expect from you. Why don't you tell us how kids night and gay night are different. And how in the context they can be equated. Its really easy for you to mock and lay down one liners but its hard for you to actually put some thing meaningful out there.

8. Atlas14

There was exhibitionism going on, and large numbers of gay/lesbian kissing, obviously though. Anything that promotes a certain sexuality is bound to have more-than-normal numbers of people kissing, and I don't think my kids would die from seeing all of it, but it isn't necessarily appropriate viewing either.

9. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Chieftain

They lost the debate right there. You can not turn people into homosexuals.

10. JollyRoger

They really shouldn't be combined in my opinion - but a baseball team is a private entity and it can choose to promote its product in whatever way it wants. Being that it is the San Diego Padres, they should really stick to don't ask, don't tell on the gay side of the equation and keep a safe distance on the kids side of the equation.

11. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

I don't think it matters it's not as if they had a huge gay sex orgy. homosexuals holding hands and kissing won't cause your child to develop a mental disorder unless you freak out and go all puritanical on them.

12. LucyDuke

That's inappropriate in any public place, and calling that "gay night" is dishonest.

13. Atlas14

But the night was advertised as "Gay Night".

14. Fëanor

Fëanor Chieftain

For once i must (at least partially) agree with O'Reilly, having a "gay night" AND a "kids night" at the same time is IMHO inappropriate to say the least.

15. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Chieftain

Careful, Skad. We're not talking about a government sponsered event here. We're talking about a private business trying to increase revenue through promotional events. Nothing wrong with that. I would support a private business' right to have a white people night. I would boycott them and spread the word about their event, but if pressed, I would not outlaw it. Of course, the PC reality is that you can only have a special night for a minority (and I'm glad, however irrational that may be, because I cannot stand the idea of 'white people night' - just a gut reaction).

Of course, the timing was unfortunate. I agree with LucyDuke (not sure about the DNA vs. environment/experience debate, but there's no way merely seeing gay people turns people gay), and go further to say that kids should know about and not be scared of gay people from about the age they can go to baseball games. However, not all parents are so interested in raising rational, well adjusted kids. Parents who choose to address such issues until later in life (or not at all) are common and the baseball team could have seen this being a problem. They acted irresponsibly.

16. LucyDuke

Sure. That doesn't give anyone a license to display overtly sexual behavior in public. If, during a promotionless night, a male-female couple were caught having sex in the stands, would it be accepted as normal, and in line with what one could expect on "straight couple night"? No, the exhibitionism is inappropriate, no matter who it is, and the people responsible for it should be singled out and considered separately from any group they might identify with. What I mean is that it's dishonest to use "gay night" to mean to "public sex night", as though it's somehow explained or excused that way.

17. Japanrocks12

Japanrocks12 tired of being a man

Oscar Wilde on Bill O'Reilly: In Soviet Russia, gays wonder why YOU exist

18. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Chieftain

i dont see anything wrong with it, if the parents dont want the kids to see it dont live in California

19. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

This is why everyone should read The O'Reilly Factor for Kids and have a seat on Uncle Billy's lap.

20. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Too funny :lol:

Never believed I say this but I actually like O'Reilly compared to this "lady of family values".
    He seemed almost like rational person compared to her.

"How far radical homosexual agenda would go to radicalize our children."

What? Is she talking about gays or muslims?