Bio Evil - Resident Evil 1 'demake' for SEGA Genesis/Megadrive

Blake00

CFC Mod Archivist & Social Media Helper
Supporter
Just when you think you've seen everything lol.. these Russian fellows have been working on a Resident Evil 1 game on the good old SEGA Genesis / Mega drive and it looks pretty awesome! Obviously not 3D but a very cool 2.5D isometric retro conversion of all the rooms, monsters, and characters. I tried out the demo on the Itch page and sadly its waaaaaaay older than the stuff they've been posting over the last few years. Hope they get it done before Capcom's lawyers see it lol.

https://pscd.itch.io/bio-evil

Recent test demo that looks insane!

Even the music conversions are awesome

Big fan preview showing lots of cool footage (Commentary not in English so I have no idea what's being said)

Last edited:
This is quite the project. And looks like they have pretty much recreated things exactly. We have all heard of enhanced editions and remakes. But im not sure what category this falls into. A retroactive recreation? Does it work on emulators? Id have thought thats all it works on. Cant imagine they will go as far to make an actual cartridge for it. Good effort though in any case.

Yeah 'demake' seems to be the usual term and it's quite a funny 'niche' category in the retro gaming community.. many people ask "why?" and "what's the point?" etc but yet there's something fascinating and cool about retro demakes of popular games..

Some games actually need a demake based on superior earlier games in their series (eg Command & Conquer 4 and Quest for Glory 5 come to mind lol) however yeah in most cases demakes are surprise releases that no one asked for so they drop into a category of "that's really cool but I'll probably never play it when I can play the original" lol. I was involved in a Civ1 graphics demake for Civ2 project not so long ago and no one (including me) will probably actually use it, yet we did it anyway as sometimes it's just a fun technical challenge to see if it can be done haha.

Anyway this bio evil project is probably an exception for me and I'll play it as I'm a big resident evil fan and I was also a Sega kid. To this day I still collect games for my Sega Megadrive (Genesis) and Master system including homebrew stuff (Eg Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 and 3 fan sequels), so if they finish this and do a physical release (which they've talked about doing ** ) with a sweet cover then I'm gonna be aaaaaall over that lol!

Oh and yeah I think most of these videos are from them testing demo builds in an emulator, I think I saw them mention Gens somewhere a while back.

** PSCD games (the Russian group behind this demake) have a released a number of other physical homebrew sega games over the years so they're certainly capable however those titles were simpler/smaller projects and weren't capcom ripoffs haha.

I went to a museum a few weeks ago where they had a whole host of consoles starting off from the really ancient Intellivision models (and even the console that had the original pong - in full working order). Then it was old generation sega (master system) and nientendo (as well as Commodore 64 and Spectrum). Then second generation of the same (SNES, Genesis etc) - even had an Atari Jaguar 64 there - remember those - the console that never was. Then dreamcast, N64 and playstation. And then the less interesting modern day varieties. All were working and had a game to play. Ive not played land of illusion (on the NES) since i was about 8 years old. They also had a suite of about 20 old arcade coin ops with things like defender etc. Ill see if i can dig out some pics.

Awesome! Would love to check out a place like that but we don't really have any video game museums in Australia as far as I know.

Intellivision was my first ever console despite me not even being born yet when it came out haha! Was given to me 2nd hand in the late 80s and a huge pile of games. Wish I still had it although it was already playing up and jamming/crashing back then so it'd be very dead by now lol.

Anywhere near Sydney?

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/retro-video-game-museum

Dont think they have the coin op bit but they have the consoles.

Been a while so I thought I'd check in and see how the Bio Evil Genesis/Megadrive guys are doing. They've been mostly focuses on their other commercial games (Alien Cat 2, Hunter Girls, Black Jewel Reborn etc) over the last few years but have been more active on the Bio Evil project again more recently. They also released a much newer Demo 2 on their Itch page too!

Itch page:

New intro cutscene:

Testing tank controls and collision detection:

Top Bottom