Birth of a Nation

Barak

Emperor
I started a new game as America. My nation was born in 1605 with Baltimore as my capital (a former English colony). To the north along the coast, the English city of Popham (near Boston), to the south the French City of Nouvelle Orleans to the west the French city of Louisville (near Cleveland).

Interestingly, none of these cities flipped to me. I am baiscally stuck with large European powers surrounding me. Should be an intersting game to say the least!

While we're at the topic "Birth of a Nation", is the text of the popup editable? It's a bit silly to see "For thousands of years the Americans have been nomads". It could be edited into a bit of historical background for every nation even. :eek:

Which version are you using? I had that problem with 0.90, but I suppose you are using 0.93...

I always laugh when I see that intro screen. Their legs must be really tired! :p

But I think they can be changed.

I am using 093. Restarted to see what I would gt in test 2. Waiting for Gadot at this point. One bad thing about not chowing the date is while waiting for the game to start we don't know how much longer we will have to wait.

Of course in my next trial, there was no settlement of North America by European powers.

Strange reversal of fortune.

Oh, I do not have the starting save. I do have one from 1615, but not from the start.

Check the auto-saves folder, there usually is the starting save, unless you started another game after that one...

Elhoim said:
Check the auto-saves folder, there usually is the starting save, unless you started another game after that one...

I did start one :sad: So no save, I checked there already.

Barak said:
One bad thing about not chowing the date is while waiting for the game to start we don't know how much longer we will have to wait.
Is there any way to fix this? Only America starts with Calendar, right? It seems like a lot of work just for this convenience, but maybe it could go on the To-Do list... Otherwise, I don't ever mind waiting for a good game! I practice guitar during the longer waits, lol. :band:

SilverKnight

In my America game yesterday I noticed something funny. My naval units spawned on a coastal land tile. You don't notice this if you immediately found Washington on the starting tile, but as I instead founded Norfolk right near it, I had boats moving through land into the city.
It's no big deal, it's just amusing and can probably be changed some time.

Blasphemous said:
In my America game yesterday I noticed something funny. My naval units spawned on a coastal land tile. You don't notice this if you immediately found Washington on the starting tile, but as I instead founded Norfolk right near it, I had boats moving through land into the city.
It's no big deal, it's just amusing and can probably be changed some time.

I have noticed this as well with the Americans for several versions.

I think all the civs from Arabia on should start with Calender. I had caldender in BC as Egypt, switched to Germany and couldn't see the date anymore. I had to research sailing, then calender just to see the date. I don't think giving everyone after Arabia access to plantations at the beginning would be unfair, and I just don't see the point of not knowing the date for most of the later civs.

I attempted to start a game as the Americans and it crashed as it played through the other A.I.-player turns. It occured several turns after the founding of Budhism. I'm sorry if this is not helpful. Because it crashed, I was unable to save the game so that you could see it. This happened on my first attempt to start the game as the Americans. It worked when I started as the Greeks. I will try starting as Americans again and see what happens.

abman said:
I think all the civs from Arabia on should start with Calender. I had caldender in BC as Egypt, switched to Germany and couldn't see the date anymore. I had to research sailing, then calender just to see the date. I don't think giving everyone after Arabia access to plantations at the beginning would be unfair, and I just don't see the point of not knowing the date for most of the later civs.

speaking of the starting techs, is there a way to make it so that new civs spawn with the techs that have been researched by X number of civs? i.e., if rome, greece, and persia have researched calendar, spain can spawn knowing calendar, but if say, persia hasn't, spain does not get calendar. this would remove the fact that new civs often start 4-6 techs AHEAD of civs already there, which is something of a nuisance

and I just don't see the point of not knowing the date for most of the later civs.

Personally I won´t like to see the years ever! ;)

Elhoim said:
Personally I won´t like to see the years ever! ;)
Agreed. All we need is age and turn number!

As I posted some time ago, I feel too much the pressure of history in the years...

Top Bottom