Bits of Tales: new modmod about more bits of history

citis

Deity
After a long hiatus I decided to come back, with a new modmod: Bits_of_tales

Available at repository:
https://github.com/citisDoC/Dawn-of-Civilization/tree/Bits_of_tales

In short I will track the main branch, but add changes to light some interesting but mostly unknown historical aspects.

3000BC:

1. Egypt: How about a game with both Lower and Upper Egypt? Also watch out the Hyksos.
  2. China: The Qin state struggles to overthrow the Zhou dynasty and unify China
  3. Babylonia: Assyrians won't be subjected so easy anymore, and what about Akkadians?
  4. Greece: Start as the Myceneans, experience the 2nd Greek colonization and rush the League of Corinth against the Persians
  5. India: Pancala and Avanti won't give up without battle this time.
  6. Phoenicia: Who knows what would happen if Carthaginians won the Romans?
  7. Persia: Meet the Medians, Mazdaism and more zoroastrianism.
  8. Rome: Begin as the city state that conquered the world.
  9. Ethiopia: Exploring Red Sea trade routes not optional anymore.
  10. Korea: Play as Goryeo or Joseon in a more hostile Korean peninsula.
  11. Maya: Build the temple of Kulkukan in its rightfull position and maybe settle Europe.

300AD:

New 300AD scenario! Play at the eve of classical era.

1. China: The Jin dynasty struggles to keep China a leading power in the next era.
  2. India: Play as Chandragupta trying to keep up Asoka's legacy.
  3. Persia: Play as Khorsow against Justinian and prepare for the Arab invasion.
  4. Rome: Can you restore control of Rome over a collapsing empire?
  5. Korea: Play as Goryeo, the evolution of Goguryeo.
  6. (Note: All UHVs of civilisation with spawning date before 300AD have been invalidated)
  7. Byzantium: Restore the Roman Empire, try for the silk and fight against the endless barbarians that want to take you down. Also, there will be more competition for the culture goal.
  8. France: Defend the Franks against the Moors, the Vikings, the English and the Germans. Consider bringing the pope or winning the 100 years war. Spread the French revolution and its scientific importance throughout Europe.
  9. Arabia: Play as Rashidun, Ummayad and Abbasid caliphate, meet emirate of Crete, conquer the Visigoths and Sassanids. Saudis will try to establish their control much earlier this time (Emirate of Diriyah, Nedj).
  10. Tibet: Learn about Kyunglung, meet the Buddhist Palas, conquering Kashgar not optional. AI Tibet is initially more aggresive.
  11. Indonesia: Play as Melayu and Maratam. Chola won't neglect you anymore, prepare for battle! Build the Borobudur and find your pearl resources.
  12. Italy: Start as Venice and evade Germans and Byzantines through trade and cunning.
  13. Vikings: Normandy, Scotland and England are awaiting for your raids, but Franks won't be decentralised this time.
  14. Japan: Spawn at Shengoku period Japan with strongholds and rival Samurais. Claim the shogunate for your clan and then open to the world.
  15. Moors: Lead your Ummayad caliphate anticipating external and internal threats. What would happen if Muslims prevailed in Iberia?

Leaderheads:
  1. Philipe Augustus (new): The man who renamed Franks to French and saved from English-German-Flemish coalition
  2. Enrico Dandolo: renamed Lorenzo di Medici
  3. Ibn Saud: The man who started with no city and 40 men and ended up with the biggest and richest Arab state under his own complete rule.
  4. New music fo Augustus, Charlemagne, Dandolo, Alfred (credits to Kevin McLeod for letting his music free)

Cities and minor civs:

1. Chinese cities: Zhou capital, birthplace of Comfucious and more
  2. Assyria: Ninua won't be easy to conquer.
  3. Crete: Minoans, Romans, Arabs, the rich history of Crete from Minoans to Modern Greece
  4. Sudan: Merowites, Emirate of Dungulah, Hartum
  5. Crimaea: Greek colonization, barbarians, Russians and Ottomans
  6. Kryptos Limen: The "hidden port" awaits to be discovered.
  7. Kingdom of Alba's Scuin
  8. Papal states are represented as a HRE city.
Wonders:
  • The oracle functions as an ancient Trading Company, destined to be used by Greeks, Phoenicians and maybe Romans.

Technical features:
  1. More turns, especially in ancient era! Normal speed is a total of 700 turns. More room to forge your classical empires and better AI performance.
  2. Stability: Can keep a large empire if population is low enough.
  3. New polity mechanism (technical): Changing cores, capitals and leaders has never been easier.
    177 polities are pending patiently to be implemented
  4. Naming: generic monarchy, city-states and grand duchy titles, attempt to centralise the code instead of civ-dependent.
  5. City naming: Some changes to better handle era-dependent naming.

to be continued

Last edited:
Wait, how do i play this? What kind of name i have to give to actually work?

How do i install this?

Wait, how do i play this? What kind of name i have to give to actually work?

How do i install this?
1) Download and install Git for Windows.
2) Download and install Tortoise Git.
3) During the installation, you will be prompted for a number of settings. Most of these are only relevant to developers, since you only want to use Git for access you can simply accept the default values.
4) Right-click on your Beyond the Sword\Mods folder and choose "Git Clone".
5) In the prompt, enter the following as "URL": https://github.com/citisDoC/Dawn-of-Civilization.git
6) You also have to change the "Directory" entry so that it ends in ".../RFC Dawn of Civilization"
7) Wait for the download to complete.

The Civ Select screen doesn't seem to reflect the changed spawn date, China still says 3000 BC.

Speaking of China, WHAT IS THAT TAIXUE?
150%+ GPP
1+ Trade Routes
Less than half the cost of a Library

Man, Leoreth could use these for the main mod :^)

It's dumb that's what it is.

Yeah, I love a lot of what I've seen so far, but the change to the Taixue is a bit too much, at least at first glance (I haven't done too many simulations)

Of course it is! 150%+ GPP for a freakin half cost library is not okay at all. I was being sarcastic.
Something is very wrong when a Civ can copy somebody's ability with a building that never obsoletes

Taixue shall be stronger to anticipate tougher start (and I especially have AI in mind). But I'm open to changes.

Taixue shall be stronger to anticipate tougher start (and I especially have AI in mind). But I'm open to changes.
The issue is that the Taixue lasts for the entire game, so it allows a heavy snowball. I'd suggest returning the Taixue to costing 90, and reducing the GPP to 25%. It will be a lot more powerful than the current Taixue in vanilla DOC, but it won't be horribly broken. If after some tests the AI and/or Player are still behind their vanilla DOC counterparts, then I'd suggest setting up an era specific Science or GPP modifier.

India doesn't seem to consistently conquer it's historical territory, I've seen it a few times, but I think it may need to be touched up.

India doesn't seem to consistently conquer it's historical territory, I've seen it a few times, but I think it may need to be touched up.

In my tests they have conquered Pancala, Avanti and Kalinga by Tamil spawn. But I will see it again.

A quick heads up: in Assets\XML\Civilizations\Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml every civ has a variable called <StartingYear>. If you change this you can change what the starting year is reported as in the Civ Select Screen.

A quick heads up: in Assets\XML\Civilizations\Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml every civ has a variable called <StartingYear>. If you change this you can change what the starting year is reported as in the Civ Select Screen.
Thank you.

UPDATE: Reworked Persia, Rome, Ethiopia, Korea, Maya.

I can't seem to be able to pull your new versions, I'm getting a conflict. Tortoisegit says that my local version is the same as your Phoenicia version.

I can't seem to be able to pull your new versions, I'm getting a conflict. Tortoisegit says that my local version is the same as your Phoenicia version.

Hmm, it seems some git indexes got wrong. Maybe if you try to pull by using git CLI. I use sourcetree by the way. (not the best of its kind, which is smartgit, but at least it's free).

From CMC thread in case you didn't see it

It appears that the France error also exists and is from @citis 's bits of tales mod. From what I can gather while implementing Ethiopia they were also working towards changing France's spawn date to 481, which takes place before the 600 AD scenario. It seems like they forgot to update the 600 AD scenario to reflect this.

@citis would you be so kind as to update the 600 AD map with the intended French situation, or at the very least tell me what you would like it to be? I'd gladly make the appropriate edits myself, and even send you a corresponding file compatible with your mod. If by chance you did not intend to make such a change just yet, I'll gladly revert the French spawn date.

Since this is a change made by your mod, I'd rather not revert or modify it without first understanding your intentions in making it.

In the meantime, France works perfectly fine in the 3000 BC scenario, though I am not certain as to how balanced they are. I am very sorry for the trouble.

UPDATE: 300AD scenario has been released!

Special thanks to the Khorsaw leaderhead, it was delivered just on time.

Comments on the 300 AD scenario:

1) Japan starts with only 2 fishing boats. I guess the civ must have already spawned by then.
2) Maybe some starting culture for the cities?
3) And maybe more cities? Especially for the Roman Empire. Dyrrachium? Mediolanum? For Persia, Spahan can already be placed there.
4) Should Orthodoxy already be founded in Jerusalem at the start? This assumes that the founding date is shortly after Jesus' death (Paul's missions?).

Top Bottom