1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bizarre founder beliefs?!

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by agc28, Jan 30, 2014.

1. agc28

agc28 Warlord

Most of the founder beliefs reward you for spreading your religion (Tithe, Church Property, Ceremonial Burial, Initiation Rites, Papal Primacy)

BUT,

Holy Order, gives cheaper missionaries and inquisitors
    Messiah, gives cheaper and stronger great prophets
    Missionary Zeal, gives stronger missionaries

This does not make sense at all. Why would you pick these three founder beliefs? They make it easier to spread your religion. But the question is. Why would you spread your religion? With these founder effects, you don't gain happiness, gold, or culture by spreading religion. In fact, you allow your rival cities to use the follower beliefs and pantheon at the cost of your OWN faith...which is a negative! These three beliefs should be enhancer beliefs.

The only positive I can think of, coming from the above 3 founder beliefs, is the Just War enhancer, which may make it meaningful to adopt any of the 3 founders listed.

2. agc28

agc28 Warlord

Oh. Right. It might make sense for Byzantine to pick them..but still.

3. stackpointer

stackpointer King

4. agc28

agc28 Warlord

Thank you for the link..but I didn't find the rationale behind this...

5. Hreat

Hreat Warlord

that thread is just a bunch of post agreeing all the spreader beliefs should be moved into the enhancer category. Which is what this post is also about.

Spreaders as founder belief makes no sense, and on that count alone I believe the vanilla belief categories are better than CEG's. I don't believe I have seen a thread on this board explaining why the beliefs were rearranged as they were

6. jwerano

jwerano Wonderstacker

Messiah is a fantastic ability. I'd hate to see it moved. It allows you an advantage when it comes to getting your 2nd great prophet by discounting him. This increases your odds of being able to get the best abilities before the AI can. It also allows you stack more holy sites which can be very valuable in certain strategies, especially if you complete the piety tree.

Also cheaper missioniaries was valuable for spreading your religion to your own cities for the benefits such as enhanced building yields especially in older versions where faith costs increased per era. But the value has diminished dramatically now that missionaries are a constant and cheap price.

7. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

In general, I'd say we're better off moving back toward the vanilla belief structure and adjusting belief balances from there.

I don't agree these are good uses of religion as a starting founder belief versus an enhancing effect. The strategic value is too narrow versus having a religious benefit that is worth spreading in the first place.