1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Black America

Discussion in 'World History' started by Henri Christophe, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Heck, why not go all the way and put all of Europe and the Near East into an Occidental civilization.

2. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Well, my argument would be that "the Franks" represent a broadly coherent and distinct elite culture for a significant part of European history. The Levantines saw the Crusades as a series of "Frankish" incursions, carried out by people with more or less the same sort of political, religious and military institutions, but distinguished them from other Christians like the Greeks, Slavs or Armenians. I think this makes it something broadly analogous to "Roman civilisation" or "Chinese civilisation" as these ideas are employed in the Civilization series, where a broader "Occidental" civilisation would probably run a bit woolly.

Of course, I appreciate that when the developers are adding Canada and Colombia as civs, the chances of them taking an approach to defining "a civilisation" less oriented towards modern nation-states is just wishful thinking.

3. Ajidica

I'm just mildly grumpy Firaxis still hasn't included the Goths as a civilization.
    I mean, we've gotten the Huns, who showed up briefly before disappearing back into the gigantic historical question mark that is material cultures in pre-modern outer Europe. But for the Goths, nothing?

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Wouldn't the Goths just be part of the German civilization?

5. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Well, he could be referring to either the Visigoths, who inhabited Hispania, or the Ostrogoths, who inhabited the Italian Peninsula.

6. Ajidica

In a macro-sense, sure. But in the last few games Firaxis has been adding in Canada - when it was a Dominion - and Australia in a game that already has the UK/England; or how the games routinely include both Rome and the Byzantine Empire. The inclusion of the Goths - who spoke an eastern Germanic language and had a different material culture than the western Germanic peoples- doesn't seem that outrageous. The history of the Goths open them up to some unique mechanics regarding making use of the "ruins" of a previous empire.

7. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Why? Are the Germans meant to represent all of the Germanic languages?

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'll grant that having the Goths makes more sense than having Canada

9. Ajidica

I would say it is to represent the general Germanic tribes and their shared social culture.
    </trigger schlaufuchs inner linguist>