Black America

Haiti is a small country that has never been influential or significant on a global scale...it would be like having Luxembourg, Andorra, Latvia, or Estonia as official Civs.
I need to disagree on that! Haiti was the most influential country of Americas. First because it was the first country of Americas to abolish the slavery (and lead the global slavery emancipation) and second because it was the first black republic of the world.

Last edited:
it was the first black republic of the world.
Well, to be fair, a low-grade, turmoil-riven despotism for the vast majority of its history. I mean, with an official national foundation year of 1791, their first elected President in a contested and even remotely close to free-and-fair election was 1951 - 161 years later. Most Haitian leaders came to power by coup d'tat, winning civil wars, or being hand-picked by their tyrannical predecessors, or, in a few cases, just being in the right place - and the right position in the (usually military) hierarchy - at the right time. The term, "republic," outside a nation whose leader is not monarchial or theocratic (and even then, they've had three who've taken monarchial pretenses, and the Duvaliers actually had a family succession with a fair degree of pomp) is dubious.

I need to disagree on that! Haiti was the most influential country of Americas. First because it was the first country of Americas to abolish the slavery (and lead the global slavery emancipation) and second because it was the first black republic of the world.
As I said in the other thread, Haiti wasn't the reason slavery was abolished in the rest of the Western Hemisphere.

Well, to be fair, a low-grade, turmoil-riven despotism for the vast majority of its history. I mean, with an official national foundation year of 1791, their first elected President in a contested and even remotely close to free-and-fair election was 1951 - 161 years later. Most Haitian leaders came to power by coup d'tat, winning civil wars, or being hand-picked by their tyrannical predecessors, or, in a few cases, just being in the right place - and the right position in the (usually military) hierarchy - at the right time. The term, "republic," outside a nation whose leader is not monarchial or theocratic (and even then, they've had three who've taken monarchial pretenses, and the Duvaliers actually had a family succession with a fair degree of pomp) is dubious.
Don't need to be democratic to be a Republic. And what's metter if Haiti had a lot of coup d'Etat? that don't change it was the first black republic of the world.

As I said in the other thread, Haiti wasn't the reason slavery was abolished in the rest of the Western Hemisphere.
Of course Haiti was the main reason for the end of slavery world wide. It is so inpactifull as the French revolution.

"Haiti is a small country that has never been influential or significant on a global scale..."

And yet, still larger in terms of population, still more influential and still more significant on the global scale than the short-lived Boer microstates.

Haiti over Boers a million times.

Don't need to be democratic to be a Republic. And what's metter if Haiti had a lot of coup d'Etat? that don't change it was the first black republic of the world.

Of course Haiti was the main reason for the end of slavery world wide. It is so inpactifull as the French revolution.
No, it wasn't. Haiti wasn't the reason that slavery ended in the Western Hemisphere (it is still practiced in Africa, despite the best efforts of colonial governments to stop it). In fact, the example of Haiti (where the white population was brutally murdered by the former slaves) made Southern US slaveowners even more afraid of abolition than they already were, since they were worried they would be murdered by their former slaves.
"Haiti is a small country that has never been influential or significant on a global scale..."

And yet, still larger in terms of population, still more influential and still more significant on the global scale than the short-lived Boer microstates.

Haiti over Boers a million times.

Haiti - 27,750 square km
Orange Free State - 129,825 square km
South African Republic - 191,789 square km
The Boer Republics, I admit, weren't hugely influential superpowers, but they were more influential than Haiti, which is essentially irrelevant from the standpoint of geopolitics, has very little cultural influence on the rest of the world, etc...

And as for population, keep in mind 15-20% of the Boers were murdered in British concentration camps during the Second Boer War (or, more properly, the Second Freedom War)

According to the 1911 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica, Haiti had about 1.5 million people. The "Orange River Colony" (British name for the Orange Free State after they robbed it of its freedom) had 387,315 people in 1904 (after the Boer War). The "Transvaal Colony" (British name for the South African Republic after they robbed it of its freedom) had 1,269,951 people in 1904 (after the Boer War), so even after losing a large chunk of their populations to British Concentration Camps, the Boer Republics still had a larger population than Haiti.

I said "larger in population", so quoting area figures does precisely nil to prove me wrong.

Neither do your population figures, because you ignored a teeny little fact. 1875 figures for Orange Free State put the population at 100000, all races, so there's zero chance that 30 years later the 400 000 figure is Boer alone. You're counting black people in your totals, which, no, I don't think the Boers have any claim to.

The Boer's cultural influence on the world is almost nonexistent. Haiti, whose very existence threatened multiple European power into strangling it with debt in an effort to prevent slave revolts from spreading was far more influential.

I said "larger in population", so quoting area figures does precisely nil to prove me wrong.

Neither do your population figures, because you ignored a teeny little fact. 1875 figures for Orange Free State put the population at 100000, all races, so there's zero chance that 30 years later the 400 000 figure is Boer alone. You're counting black people in your totals, which, no, I don't think the Boers have any claim to.

The Boer's cultural influence on the world is almost nonexistent. Haiti, whose very existence threatened multiple European power into strangling it with debt in an effort to prevent slave revolts from spreading was far more influential.
Jan Smuts, Boer general, was the only man to sign both the Treaty of Versailles and the UN Charter. Which Haitian statesman had a comparable impact on the global stage?
Haiti's cultural influence on the world is also almost nonexistent. The Boers beat the British Empire in 1881, during the height of the Victorian era. That's not nothing.
Keep in mind, the founding of Haiti involved committing a genocide against ethnic French.

I suppose, at best, the Boer Republics under Pretorious or Kruger could give Shaka a nemesis if the national nemesis sub-system toyed with and mentioned here and there were inserted as a mechanic. Though, as has been pointed out by the few people who had brought it up, it's an inherently contentious mechanic idea in and of itself.

Jan Smuts, Boer general, was the only man to sign both the Treaty of Versailles and the UN Charter. Which Haitian statesman had a comparable impact on the global stage?
Haiti's cultural influence on the world is also almost nonexistent. The Boers beat the British Empire in 1881, during the height of the Victorian era. That's not nothing.
Keep in mind, the founding of Haiti involved committing a genocide against ethnic French.
A General fighting under British Imperial military command and a PM of a British Dominion.

And being French-Canadian, I'm more ethnically french than you ever will be, and I still say: Haiti has had greater influence than the Boer.

Signing both document isn't proof of influence, it's proof that one guy had a long life and spent far too much of it in power,

I suppose, at best, the Boer Republics under Pretorious or Kruger could give Shaka a nemesis if the national nemesis sub-system toyed with and mentioned here and there were inserted as a mechanic. Though, as has been pointed out by the few people who had brought it up, it's an inherently contentious mechanic idea in and of itself.
I just wish that Boers would finally get a representation as a full-fledged civ, instead of just reusing Washington's leaderhead in a scenario. I mean, if the Republic of Venice (cool civ, cool leaderhead, I'm glad it was in Civ V) is important enough, than so are the Boer Republics.
A General fighting under British Imperial military command and a PM of a British Dominion.
Still, an influential figure. Probably the most influential South African ever, or the second most influential, second only to Mandela.
And being French-Canadian, I'm more ethnically french than you ever will be, and I still say: Haiti has had greater influence than the Boer.

Signing both document isn't proof of influence, it's proof that one guy had a long life and spent far too much of it in power,
Haiti has not, I think you just don't care for the Boer Republics for whatever reason.

I just wish that Boers would finally get a representation as a full-fledged civ, instead of just reusing Washington's leaderhead in a scenario. I mean, if the Republic of Venice (cool civ, cool leaderhead, I'm glad it was in Civ V) is important enough, than so are the Boer Republics.
The Venetian Republic was the longest-extant, even to date, republic in world history - 1100-1200 years in existence as such. It's mercantile power dominated the Mediterranean trade routes for centuries, it had colonies all the way down the Adriatic into the Aegean, your vaunted Crusaders often got deeply into debt with them (and debts to Venice, even by great European powers, were NOT ignored) to arrange transport to the Near and Middle East, Venice was a major player in the wars against the Ottomans, the only Mediterranean Catholic nation to defy Vatican edicts and get away with it, multiple times, and even got the privilege of their Archbishop being one of only five recognized with the title of Patriarch in the Catholic Church, they produced MANY navigators of the Age of Exploration, and were filthy rich. How do the Boer Republics inherently compare there?

Last edited:
The Venetian Republic was the longest-extant, even to date, republic in world history - 1100-1200 years in existence as such. It's mercantile power dominated the Mediterranean trade routes for centuries, it had colonies all the way down the Adriatic into the Aegean, your vaunted Crusaders often got deeply into debt with them (and debts to Venice, even by great European powers, were NOT ignored) to arrange transport to the Near and Middle East, Venice was a major player in the wars against the Ottomans, the only Mediterranean Catholic nation to defy Vatican edicts and get away with it, multiple times, and even got the privilege of their Archbishop being one of only five recognized with the title of Patriarch in the Catholic Church, they produced MANY navigators of the Age of Exploration, and were filthy rich. How do the Boer Republics inherently compare there?
Boers
- a unique culture
- brave pioneers
- beat the British Empire at the height of its power
- Western civ located in Africa

Boers
- a unique culture
- brave pioneers
Still, it pales, historiographically, compared to the Venetian Republic, whom you, of your own complete and independent volition, levied the comparison to after spending the last while comparing to Haiti.

Still, it pales, historiographically, compared to the Venetian Republic, whom you, of your own complete and independent volition, levied the comparison to after spending the last while comparing to Haiti.
The Boers and Venice are of equal historiographic importance. Haiti is somewhere between San Marino and those two.

No, not by anyone outside your local circle, I can assure you.
Venice as a city, as a tourist destination is more relevant than the Boer Republics, but Dandolo's Venetian Republic is no more relevant than Kruger's South African Republic.

Venice as a city, as a tourist destination is more relevant than the Boer Republics, but Dandolo's Venetian Republic is no more relevant than Kruger's South African Republic.
You apparently didn't read my post above describing the Venetian Republic's historic pedigree if you can only think of, "tourist destination," or if you REALLY believe the vast majority of the world views Paul Kruger as having a historical prominence even remotely nearing the same neighbourhood. Your sense of proportion is nowhere on par with the great majority of the world - and the great majority of Civ players.

Boers
- a unique culture
- brave pioneers
Haiti also fight and defeated the British. During the Haitian revolution the Haiti need to fight against the French, the Spanish and the British and won everyone to achieve the independence.

Meanwhile the Boers "beat" the British Empire but don't achieve the independence, since today there is no Boers country.

Top Bottom