Black Terrain :(

Decimatus

King
I have been playing RoM and RoM New Dawn on Gigantic and Huge maps.

Playing Civ 4 BTS vanilla seemed to work fine.

When I reinstalled RoM without New Dawn, and the problem went away(at least for now).

Worked fine for hundreds of turns on several games.

Loaded a save game recently, and the terrain was black.

Restarted the game, was still black. Restarted the computer, the terrain was fine again.

Loaded the game the next day. Terrain was black, and never went back.

New games that I have created since seem to all have black terrain.

Playing on a 2 year old laptop, Centrino 2, nvidia 9 series mobile, 4 gig of ram.

Graphic drivers are completely up to date.

I tried going into the world builder to reveal all tiles, no dice.

I tried to run some test maps in Duel size for speed, but it never helped.

Only thing that seemed to fix this issue was removing New Dawn, though New Dawn didn't have the problem at first...

Any ideas?

Which version of RoM are you playing, FULL, LITE or MEGA? Mega users report this issue commonly, I believe it has to do with a limitation in the game engine for the # of graphics the game can handle.

Mega.

I can understand that, but why would it do it to a new game on a Duel map size?

It has nothing to do with the map size. It has to do with the sheer amount of new graphics when loading the initial startup.

Try opening the MLF in the Custom Civilizations folder and disabling a few. Most people say that it goes away after turning off 5 or so Civilizations.

It isn't letting me change the MLF file, keeps giving me a wrong path error when I try and save it.

I am just going to delete the custom civilizations folder and see what happens. :)

Yeah, that worked.

Is there a way fix this in the installation?

Like when you are checking boxes to decide what mods you want, maybe have another box to let someone install only the civs, but none of the graphics that come with them?

Yeah, that worked.

Is there a way fix this in the installation?

Like when you are checking boxes to decide what mods you want, maybe have another box to let someone install only the civs, but none of the graphics that come with them?

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll include that for future releases.

I'm getting this bug now, megamod and all the default options on when installing A New Dawn. For some reason, I managed to play til 120 BC without it, saved the game and came back to it later and now the terrain doesn't show.

I've had this bug, turned off, tried, turned off... 7 civs in the end. Started a game on a gigantic map, everything worked fine. So about round 1000 game crashed. Also after reloading. Crashed always the same round. Now I started a new game, have chosen only a huge map to play. And turned off some more civs (about 10 are off now). When this game works to the end I will go to the next mapsize. When I'm back on gigantic I will turn on the civs again. Until the black terrain strikes back.

Maybe black terrain and (my) crashed game have the same reason? Main memory is used at about 35-40%, but I don't know how the graphics board is stressed.

Top Bottom