1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

'Blade Runner' wins Olympics appeal

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by BirraImperial, May 16, 2008.

1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

'Blade Runner' wins Olympics appeal

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/05/16/athletics.pistorius/index.html

I admire people like him, who never give up no matter what life throws at them. However, how does this change the Olympics? Do you think he should be allowed to participate?

2. EnlightenmentHK

EnlightenmentHK Emperor

Eh...I think part of the worry is setting a precedent for future Olympics where technology may advance to the point where 'bionic' substitutes may in fact be far superior to the implements you're born with. I don't know enough about what he's using to say whether we're at that point of technology surpassing the biological, but I'm not really a fan in principle. Yeah, double-amputee wins Olympic gold makes for a good, heart-warming story. And the 'evil bureaucrats' who would keep him out are easily villainized.

But this is an athletic competition and I think its important to keep everyone on an even playing field. Your own skill, hard work, and determination should be the factors. Technology should never be a deciding factor. (one of the reasons I'm hardpressed to call auto-racing a sport)

Whether the prosthetics are superior to real legs or not I have no idea. But they are artificial tools that noone else is able to bring to the rink, so I'd keep him out. May not be entirely fair to him, but it is the best move for continued fairness in the overall competition and for future Olympics. I disagree with the appeal rulings.

3. kalif

kalif am start

i agree with most of what you said, that it makes a heart warming story and that in an ideal surrounding, only skill, effort and so on should be deciding.

but look around, technology is everywhere in sports. it dont matter if it's a new super tight dress for swimmers, a super duper new carbon pole for pole vaulting or - the most obvious - pharmaceutical enhancements. in this regard, there never is fairness in any sport. new technologies are developed and used by those who can afford it and have access to it. there is no equal opportunities for everyone.

what is the difference between the participants of the tour de france, where 90% of them use anti-asthmatikas and are thus officially asthmatic, and the guy with prothesis?

4. Azale

Azale Deity

I would think anyone on the Olympic level can get tight-fitting suits or those anti-asthma drugs...but not everyone can just get some prosthetics that are (some scientists say) far superior to the human ankle.

5. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Sets a potentially worrying precedent IMHO, guy shouldn't be allowed to compete.

6. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Last i heard he barely made the olympic time required to get in rather than actually appearing on his own merit.

7. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Apparently, these prothesis don't actually benefit him. That's what the CAS' verdict is about:

So if it's not that easy to show it's beneficial, it might not be beneficial. Obviously it could be, it is has to be shown. While I share the sympathy that the olympics isn't the place for bionics, it's good that athletes aren't disqualified based on a hunch. Let the IAAF get all those EPO users first please.

8. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

This is him: