1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender Import Problem

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Bagdemagus, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Warlord

Hi I am trying to import a 3d unit into Blender. I have installed python 26 and all the important Nif pulg ins but I get source errors and cannot import anything!

Please can someone take a look at this and offer any insights?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. MightyToad

MightyToad Warlord

I've seen that error before when trying to import the chinese pikeman. It is a heavily modified nif based on two different nifs with two skeletons. Blender doesn't like there being two or something. IDK

I just moved on and used a regular vanilla nif.

3. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Warlord

Aah ok that makes sense. Blender is importing other nif files ok.

Cheers thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated as always.

4. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Modified units can be problematic at times for the Blender importer, depending on how "clean" the modder put together the unit. From my experience, creating units by doing nifswaps normally give good results.

But elements of vanilla units can also give you problems, for example the arrows in the Longbowman nif. In those cases, I create a work copy of the nif file in which I remove all elements except the unit model itself with NifSkope before importing that modified nif into Blender.

5. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Warlord

Aah ok, this is good information. My blender imports most files perfectly fine I think it was just frustrating that the units I made with only Nifskope previously would not open in Blender.

Thanks I've got a lot to learn I think and all help gratefully received.

6. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

No worries. I am doing this now for ten years, and still am learning new stuff each time. :)

Bagdemagus likes this.
  7. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Warlord

Cool, being a key worker I’m pretty busy especially at the moment but I would love to learn more. Practice I suppose. Your units are great btw.

SaibotLieh likes this.