blid03 - watch your borders

blid

Emperor
I remember when I was struggling through vanilla monarch that I had paricularly difficult situations with lakes map. In fact, unlike panagea, you can't expand in your quarter of the world leaving only about 2 exposed sides. You must keep thin defenses on some of your borders and be exposed to backstabbers

So I was thinking of a game where one needs to focus on the directions he needs to expand into, keeping the tightest control on defenses. That's it : "watch your borders"

Variant :

We must always be at peace with at most 2 of the civs with whom we share borders (only segments count).

Opponents :

Egypt : Hatshepsut (Creative & Spirtual)
France : Louis XIV (Creative & Industrious)
Mongolia : Kublai Khan (Creative & Aggressive)
Rome : Augustus Caesar (Creative & Organized)
Russia : Catherine (Creative & Imperialistic)
Spain : Isabella (Spiritual & Expansive)
India : Asoka (Spiritual & Organized)

Seeing a pattern ? There were not enough creative leaders in the game so I added the two most religious happy civs. We'll be playing with one more civ than the standard settings on normal maps

Settings :

I don't like how vassals work and there would be enough events out of our control already with the variant. The no razing option is there to spice it up a bit. Hope we don't end with too much crappy sites

I chose Ragnar because I wanted an agressive civ. I played 2 games with philo lately so Alex is out. blid02 was with Russia so I'm not hot about playing Stalin too. Genghis would lead to 2 mongols in the same game, quite confusing. I'm open to go with with one of the nuts though : Monty, Toku or Shaka. Ragnar would offer more flexibility and we'll be playing emperor, so financial would be a valuable asset on a lakes map

I'll go with a roster of 5 or 6. I'm looking for monarch and above players, willing to discuss between sets and give their 2 cents. This would not be a walk in the park and diplomacy would be very important

I'm also looking for a kind soul who would accept to roll a game for us. Just to be sure we start close to the center of the map. If you are not surrounded with AIs, what's the point of the variant ;)
I made some tests and a few rerolls would do, no need to move units

ROSTER :
open
open
open
open
(open)
blid

I don't have enough time right now to rejoin the blid series, but I'll offer to generate a start for you.

So if I'm reading the variant correctly: As soon as you share borders with a 3rd civ, you have to declare war on someone. When you share borders with a 4th civ you have to declare war on a second civ. Correct?

So if I'm reading the variant correctly: As soon as you share borders with a 3rd civ, you have to declare war on someone. When you share borders with a 4th civ you have to declare war on a second civ. Correct?

You get the idea. Thanks for offering to generate the start Sooooo. You can post it here to encourage some brave souls to join in :)

Me, mE! Been looking to get into a SG for a while and this one sounds like it will become deleciouly cramped :ar15:

We should use the scout to see what is north-east and settle either 1NW or 2N of the starting spot... the starting spot wastes production which we are in short supply.

Not a terribly sexy start, but will cottage up nicely. has lots of chop, and freshwater to boot.

Welcome Stuge, woeBearer :D

And thanks for the start Sooooo. Just a little thing : what's about that little tiny lake we got here, it's supposed to be a lakes map with a big L... Just kidding, glad to have that solid ground for cottaging

We need 2 to 3 more players. Come on, I'm sure there's some monarch players out there willing to dive into emperor zone. This variant is probably above my skill level but with collaborative play, we can do good

It would be quite instructive, both for the warmongerers (we'll be at war with probably 2 civs most of the time) and for diplomats (we need to check our a$$es are safe)

Lurker's coment

while i am not good enough to play at this level, i think i am getting better watching you guys. Farmer's shuttle taught SE while this one will teach warring, perhaps? anyway thank you for sharing your expertise!

Moving 2N would net us all 4 visible resources, but pull in one useless desert. But I got a feeling there might be some resource hidden in the fog 2S or 2S1W of the settler.

Hmm ... financial ... I would actually have gone with Monty, the sacrificial altar would be useful in an Emperor game. Ragnar's UB seems useless in this map (since we get a lakes map instead of a Lakes map ;)) But I am okay with it.

Variant Question:
We must always be at peace with at most 2 of the civs with whom we share borders (only segments count).

I hope nothing is stopping us from being at peace with ZERO border-sharing-civ, right? :evil: :satan: :hammer:

--

Moving 2N would net us all 4 visible resources, but pull in one useless desert. But I got a feeling there might be some resource hidden in the fog 2S or 2S1W of the settler.

There is probably something there, but with only one hill in the BFC we will be dependent on whips and chops (or working the treeline :yuck:) for production. Not bad for a commerce city, but with the captial I like to have as much flexiblity as possible. Besides, we can always found a city to the south if we miss something juicy.

1 NW gets us 3 total hills to work with, and 2N gives us 4 at the cost of waiting a turn to settle-possibly worth it if the scouts find something in those trees to the NE.

while i am not good enough to play at this level, i think i am getting better watching you guys. Farmer's shuttle taught SE while this one will teach warring, perhaps? anyway thank you for sharing your expertise!

With a Fin civ on a lakes map we will be looking at the other end of the spectrum - enough cottages to make your eyes bleed. Things kick into high gear when Printing Press and Universal Sufferage roll around-just in time for the SS push in most games.

I'd say that moving the settler 1 NW is the best option. We've got to have some production.

As for the early strategy, should we go, what with stone near us, for Stonehenge or the Great Wall to help with the land-grab?

Not a huge fan of SH, real monuments never really expire and are cheap enough to build or whip in new cities. GW on the other hand give us two relevent abilities (considering the varient) and will keep barbs off our back while we deal with more pressing concerns. Oh yeah, and Engineer GPPs with the possiblity of rushing Pyramids and Hanging Gardens in the same location for a Wonder Farm. Would be a gambit, but its always something to consider when you have Stone near your start.

Oh and boo on not being able to even build our UB!

GreyFox said:
Signing up, seeing as the farmers launched successfully minutes ago ;)
I hope nothing is stopping us from being at peace with ZERO border-sharing-civ, right?

Welcome GreyFox :D

If you don't like the way they are sharing borders, then by all means. After all, they are our borders too

I like 1NW too. Those desert hills in the north are not that attractive to go 2N

AngelEyes(Asperger) said:
Blid, if you carry through this game, you will become a unwanted person in Scandinavia.....
:lol:
I got lucky when Stuge signed up. As a local, he would be my cover ;)

Updated ROSTER

Stuge
Woebearer
GreyFox
open
(open)
blid

We still need 1 or 2 players

crossposted with LordOgre. Welcome aboard :D

Now we have enough people, we can start this one. I put myself on end of roster. Stuge, you can open it with 25 or 30 turns, the way you feel it.

Just realized that Sooooo's save is on normal game speed. Are you ok with that guys ? It would be harder but I'm willing to try it. Early nationalism can help with that
30 turns on normal speed would be a bit too much BTW

Top Bottom