1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind diplomacy?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Talar, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Talar

Talar Warlord

I started with Civ5 late, just recently after it became available for Linux. One thing bothering me is that when you get some diplomacy event on the ai turn like "join us in war against xx" you have to decide on the spot, but cannot see the map or any other info.

I would like to check things out like where the cities of xx are placed, how strong they seem to be etc. before making a decision like this. Is there any way to do that?

2. asura_

asura_ Chieftain

You should know your neighbors and the region you're in. You can also agree to fight if the other civ is far away or everyone hates them

3. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Before you click "next turn" you should be checking the diplomatic state of affairs by looking at the diplomacy overview. During the AI's turn read every message that pops up so if you are asked you can make an informed decision right there and then. The reason for all this is if you say 'no' the civ that just asked you might say 'no' too if you ask them on your turn.

All the information is there, just on your turn. Except when you use Info addict(can you use mods on Linux) as there's a button to check the information Info Addict provides.

4. Fluffball

Fluffball Warlord

The game should provide information on demand at all times on your neighbours and the region your in because that is what you do with information, you make it available for reference on demand because people are only human and liable to forget things as well as miss things.

The mod info addict will provide a lot of that information on demand in a much clearer fashion than the basic game UI including a button on diplomacy screens which the game should have so you can see lots of useful info to help you make the decision.

If you can't use that mod for some reason then just have the game autosave every turn and reload the previous save if you make an erroneous decision due to lack of information available at the time of asking. This was one of the first lesson i learnt with this game because i made/make wrong decisions due to not having had the information available to me in a proper fashion.e.g. not preparing for a war with a friend who is about to back stab me and DoW me which i would know if i saw their units massing on my borders but the game doesn't show me (previous games had the option to show other players visible moves even if you weren't at war with them) instead to be sure you have to search your borders every turn which is time consuming and boring even if you have only a small number of cities never mind when you start having a large empire.

5. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

In BNW you also need to know how your trade routes are routed, (in late game they can cover half way around the world) and likelihood of them being cut.

In addition, if people hate the target but haven't yet declared war on them you may also lose income if either party currently has a trade route with you since they'll act to cut each others routes.
    It's often the case when called up that the AI making the request doesn't feel like it has enough military by itself to declare war on the other and so agreeing is causing a war that wouldn't happen otherwise.

6. jlim201

jlim201 King

When the AI asks you something/insults you, just respond with the most peaceful possible answer except when it is a lie.

7. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

That depends on the civilization you are asked to go to war against. Establishing embassies with civilizations will give you a location of the other civilization and this is how you will know where the other civilizations are at.

8. Talar

Talar Warlord

The problem is the game is showing me this information at any time, except just at the moment I really need it. I'm starting to learn what I need to always keep in memory to play better and I even like some games where you need to keep notes on paper. But in this case it doesn't add any fun or even much challenge to the game, it just feels like a chore. Especially when a few days pass between play sessions and I'm on a huge map.

It would have been much better to have diplomatic requests like this appear in the right-side info panel like the world congress and other things that you can open but then go back to other screens before making a decision.