Blind research

Marcillac

Chieftain
What are the advantages and disadvantages when using blind research?

Edit: tech tree - kinda messy, just managed to get a full description.

Well, when "blind research" is on, you can't choose specific technologies for research. Instead you just spend your research on one of the four main tech paradigms (exploration, conquest, building, ecology), and the game determines randomly which tech from the chosen paradigm you will get.

"Blind research" is the default option, so it's how the game was meant to be played. Turning it off obviously makes the game much easier since you can beeline to crucial techs.

I also think it makes more sense to go blind though I can see the benefits and challenge of guided research.

In the real world people don't decide to invent electronics.
Ancient people didn't sit around wondering when they will get metallurgy so that they can make armor.

A national goal and emphasis on research towards a general need, like war or economic growth makes more sense.
Then, you make the best use of what you get.
Of course, if your opponents get some advance that you think is useful then you could tell your scientists and engineers to try to get that also.

What are the advantages and disadvantages when using blind research?

Edit: tech tree - kinda messy, just managed to get a full description.

The only thing I would consider advantageous is it makes the game a little more challenging, of course depending on who you are you may consider that a disadvantage. I like the game to be as challenging as possible, though the AI tends to thwart my attempts at it being challenging by doing stupid things. I also play with spoils of war off so I cannot get a tech upon capturing a base.

Note that you can switch research priorities (under blind research) without penalty. If you switch research goals (under directed research), you lose half of your accumulated tech.
Good to know.

IThen, you make the best use of what you get.
This sums up the whole thing. I've seen that playing without blind research is a little unrealistic.

Thanks to all.

In the real world people don't decide to invent electronics.
Ancient people didn't sit around wondering when they will get metallurgy so that they can make armor.

Good thing the game occurs in the 3rd millennium then. Somehow I don't think current cancer researchers were merely told by funding bodies to "make people healthy". Blind research is not realistic and it takes control away from the player. I don't find it desirable on story or gameplay grounds.

Note that you can switch research priorities (under blind research) without penalty. If you switch research goals (under directed research), you lose half of your accumulated tech.

It is true that it is free to switch research goals, but it does not change the tech you currently are reseaching.

My name is Bostock and I am here to help necro this thread.

The original answer was a little incorrect. You do not have to choose one research direction; you can choose multiple, or even all four. Also, choosing a research direction does not guarantee that you will get a tech in the given research area, even if one is available (and of course never if none are available due to prereqs). The one exception to this that I think I've seen is that I've never failed to get Centauri Ecology if I set Explore as my priority immediately. Thank goodness.

@SS-18

It doesn't work that way in the modern world either. People *don't* just choose to cure cancer. They choose to study cell biology, radiation, magnetic imaging, genetics, etc. It is through advances in those particular fields that we inch closer to understanding and developing effective cancer treatments.

If anything "Cure cancer" is simply a more specific category, more analogous to "Exploration" than "Centauri Ecology".

No, I'm quite sure they're studying focused concepts such as controlling kinase cascades and engineering targeted nanoparticles. You don't get research funding with vague proposals, much less one word descriptions of your research (if such a thing was even bloody possible).

No, you actually slant your proposal to appear to address what the funding is for, so that you can study what you're interested in.

We studied protein folding, but our grants were for prion disease (for instance).

No, I'm quite sure they're studying focused concepts such as controlling kinase cascades and engineering targeted nanoparticles. You don't get research funding with vague proposals, much less one word descriptions of your research (if such a thing was even bloody possible).

You sure make lot's excuses for taking the easy way. :lol: Blind research is the default option in this game and it's balanced for playing with it.

You sure make a complete lack of arguments that overturn my points, i.e. that blind research is unrealistic and just obscurantist as a game mechanic.

You sure make a complete lack of arguments that overturn my points, i.e. that blind research is unrealistic and just obscurantist as a game mechanic.

I made a very clear point which was that game was balanced based on blind research. Is it unrealistic, yes? Don't know what that has to do with anything though. It's a game mechanic as you yourself say, in a game based on settling an alien world in the far future no less...

I seem to recall that shortly after the game's release, the developers stated that blind research was made the default setting so that new players wouldn't be presented with so many choices. The Alpha Centauri tech tree can be bewildering, at first.

That's like Formers being fully automated just because there's so many terraforming options. And selecting Nutrients, Minerals, Energy, or Fortifications. I'm having none of that nonsense.

That's like Formers being fully automated just because there's so many terraforming options. And selecting Nutrients, Minerals, Energy, or Fortifications. I'm having none of that nonsense.

Fair enough, but you're not a new player, either to Alpha Centauri or to civilization games in general. I can see why they wanted noobs not to be overwhelmed at first.

I maintain Blind Research is the best way to play. It adds a degree of randomness, and disallows beelines, which tend to be something that the AI doesn't understand. In MP, whatever.

Dunno which way to see it make this discussion the most pointless: arguing about being realistic in a sci fi game about sentient fungi or about 'the right way to play' a computer game. Just lol...

Top Bottom