Blix: Iraqis better off under Saddam

Are most Iraqis better off now than under Hussein's regime?

• Total voters
Freedom is where the people who just shot you weren't wearing a uniform.

Voted yes accidentally.

puglover said:
No. People of different ethnic groups should learn to live together. If we divide them up, they'll just play border clash for the rest of their lives.

People of different ethnic groups should not be forced to share the same state in all cases. Many times the state is associated with one ethnic group and is basically a "possession" of that ethnicity. In some cases the state most remain whole and possibly autonomy should be given however in other cases a breakup would be fair and improve the situation. Who should decide that a given ethnic group which never got a fair chance at a state and which reasonably could gain one should not have their own state when most of the powerful ones have gained their own territories? Terrorism, atrocities and other horrid actions should not be committed by separatists however.

The border clash problem however is a legitimate point with Iraq since some of the cities would become disputed territories. That does not necessarily mean Iraq will forever remain whole though.

I think that the primarily Kurdish territories in Iraq should perhaps have been detached during the Gulf War or perhaps earlier. There is of course the Turkey problem however one can only placate Turkey so much.

Hans Blix: The guy that got angry at the US for not finding WMD while he wasn't capable of finding them himself.

Red Stranger said:
Hans Blix: The guy that got angry at the US for not finding WMD while he wasn't capable of finding them himself.

Another pretty ad hominem here!

Princeps said:
Another pretty ad hominem here!
Or weaseling or plain misstatement: The "them" in "wasn't capable of finding them himself" implies that there were WMD in Iraq, and that Blix didn't find them because he was incompetent as opposed to because they weren't there.

Also, where does it say that Blix got angry at the US for not finding WMD? Since he didn't find any and stated that there weren't any, I very much doubt that he would be angry at them for confirming his statement.

I read the question wrong! :blush: I meant to say "Yes, they are better off".

ive said it before and ill say it again: if things do improve then maybe they will be better off than they were then.

but, and its a big but, it dosent seem like things will improve any. most iraqis are against the occupation and so theyre top priority will be to get rid of the american troops first and then fix everything else later. (like democracy)

The bottom line and the moral of the story here is simple:

Think carefully and without arrogant bravado before you go do something unilaterally that everyone is telling you not to do.

rmsharpe said:
What about the 500,000,000 that have died because of Saddam?
500 million. Go on surprise me. How did you arrive at that number?

rmsharpe said:
I didn't think that France, Germany, and Russia represented "everybody" by any stretch of the imagination.

How about China? How about all the democrats right here in the USA? Our own people and that's what counts the most were deeply divided over this. It's created a lot of discord.

'Better off' is far too subjective. It needs to be better qualified.

For Kurds and Shia...generally better.
For non-Kurd Sunni...generally worse.

bathsheba666 said:
Duhhh, dat's becoz der wernt none.

That's because the UN weapons "Inspectors" were not looking hard enough.

Do not attempt to sound funny, or make fun of us, you are the only fool here.

Tycoon101 said:
That's because the UN weapons "Inspectors" were not looking hard enough.

Do not attempt to sound funny, or make fun of us, you are the only fool here.

And then the US looked and still never found the weapons. Either they never existed in the first place or they have been smuggled out of the country and hidden somewhere or they are still in the country and hidden where we still haven't found them.

And we occupy the country and we still can't find them. How can you blame blix et al for not finding them. They weren't looking hard enough. How do you know that? We looked too and we looked hard but wheretf are the weapons.

Bush lied and if it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.

Top Bottom