BLM and Protesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abolish DHS. I mean it quite quite literally.

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/30/dismantle-homeland-security/

Eighteen years later, the Department of Homeland Security has ballooned into the third largest agency in the U.S. government, employing 240,000 people, including more than 60,000 law enforcement agents — nearly half the total number of federal law enforcement agents. DHS oversees two dozen subagencies and offices and has an annual budget of $50 billion. Since its founding, in 2002, the department has run agencies as different in scope as the Transportation Security Administration and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, while also largely replicating, through dozens of regional law enforcement hubs known as fusion centers, the counterterrorism mission that premised its founding but remains the primary responsibility of other agencies.
Richard Clarke agrees.

The Washington Post, 30 July 2020 - "Opinion: Dismantle the Department of Homeland Security", by Richard A. Clarke

Richard A. Clarke said:
Blocking the creation of the DHS was one of the few things on which Vice President Dick Cheney and I agreed. We thought that such a department would be too large, too diverse in function and too difficult to integrate into a well-functioning institution.

Congressional leaders, however, wanted to “do something” after 9/11, and it became impossible for the Bush administration to maintain its opposition to the idea of a homeland security agency. Instead, the Bush administration embraced it and quickly merged a raft of agencies ripped from their home departments. The new department never really came together.

For more than a decade, reports from the Government Accountability Office, think tanks and congressional committees have documented the failures of the DHS to coalesce into an effective entity.

tl;dr the DHS once again saw the old adage that politicians' answer to a problem is to create an agency with the name of the problem come true.

https://apple.news/AWPaceQiiSv-p1scKJZp-ww

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...0200809-dxkhldw5vrbuljvovxaly5wgou-story.html

A group of Black Lives Matter demonstrators were beaten up during a pro-police Back the Blue rally in Colorado on Saturday.

The rally was held in front of the Fort Collins Police Services building where people waved “thin blue line” flags and carried signs with slogans like “defend the police.” At one point, at least two counter-protester groups, including a Black Lives Matter group that had held its own rally earlier in the day, arrived across the street from the pro-police group.

A Fort Collins detective told the Denver Post that those arrested and cited were among both the pro-police and Black Lives Matter groups.

What are the People going to do about the American Brownshirts? And how are the cops going to arrest people for being beaten up? Seems like the cops and the fascist militias are allied.

I should hope not.

Counter protests are pointless. Normies don't like pro-police demonstrations, either. If they turn violent, however, they will always side with the cops.

The fascists, yes.

Or anybody who views geopolitics in zero-sum terms. Anybody who wants a weaker geopolitical opponent will consider fomenting damage. All the trollfarms need are True Believers willing to be lead about by the nose. Sprinkle in memes that mischaracterize the opponent, encourage a lack of empathy, and bam(!) you get some delicious damage.

I guess we could talk about abstract hypotheticals or we could talk about the actual groups of brownshirts roaming the streets, attacking groups of people, and lynching folks.

I get what you’re saying. It’s a general issue. It is also a specific issue. We have a right-wing terrorism problem.

we could talk about the actual groups of brownshirts roaming the streets, attacking groups of people, and lynching folks.
That's why I said ‘vote for them’ which is a matter of probability, not possibility.

What are the People going to do about the American Brownshirts

Well I've always said the 2nd Amendment guarantees two rights: the right to own weapons and the right to form militias. If the government isn't providing necessary security services, then the people must exercise the latter of those two rights.

Aren't the militias supposed to be formed against the (tyrannical) state?
Pro-police armed crowds seem to be in favor of the status quo, thus the state, and maybe shouldn't be covered by the 2nd amendment.
Not that they need to be covered by that, given in the US virtually any citizen can openly carry, by the looks of it.

Aren't the militias supposed to be formed against the (tyrannical) state

No. At least, not legally speaking. Anti-government militias are illegal. However, militias formed to aid national or community defense are totally legal and is a right that I think is completely under utilized by the people.

No. At least, not legally speaking. Anti-government militias are illegal. However, militias formed to aid national or community defense are totally legal and is a right that I think is completely under utilized by the people.

What happened to the tree of liberty's need to be refreshed with the blood of tyrants?

What happened to the tree of liberty's need to be refreshed with the blood of tyrants?

Well that's why I said "legally speaking". Of course no government on this planet is ever going to make it legal to form an armed group for the purpose of overthrowing said government.

Morally though, the answer to the purpose of militias changes a bit.

Well that's why I said "legally speaking". Of course no government on this planet is ever going to make it legal to form an armed group for the purpose of overthrowing said government.
I'd like to invite you to study Latin American history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom