BLM and Protesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.statesman.com/news/2020...d-for-devotion-to-fianceacutee-racial-justice

Several protesters — including Foster, who was holding an assault rifle — approached the car, Manley said. He said the driver reported that Foster pointed the weapon at him. The driver then pointed his handgun outside the window, fired multiple shots and drove away, Manley said.

Someone else in the crowd opened fire on the car as it drove off, Manley said.

First responders performed CPR on Foster, but he died at Dell Seton Medical Center less than an hour after the shooting, officials said.

No other injuries were reported.

Austin police said they detained the person who fired the fatal shots and he cooperated with investigators. He has been released, along with the second shooter, Manley said.

Witnesses who attended the protest told the American-Statesman that the driver appeared to drive into the crowd and came to a stop when the vehicle hit an orange barrier. They also said Foster had his weapon pointed down.

Manley would not say why the driver was originally at the scene of the protest.

In a Facebook Live video of the hourslong march, a car’s honking is heard before two volleys of gunshots, a total of eight rounds, are unleashed. Several screaming protesters immediately take cover

Hard not to visualize someone trying to drive through an area with an ongoing protest as anything other then antagonizing and looking for a fight.

'Merca.

I suppose this is what happens when so many civilians carry weapons around in public.

Yes, but again trying to drive through a protest and basically picking a gunfight should have consequences.

Yes, but again trying to drive through a protest and basically picking a gunfight should have consequences.

Seems to me like it was the protestors that picked a fight with the driver.

Well the thing is if you are trying to drive through a protest you are already trying to pick a fight. So I get what you are saying but you should not be trying to drive through protests. This is the stupid stupid hateful rhetoric on the right about running over protesters coming to fruition. We've seen a lot of it this cycle.

Looks like the driver wanted to play Charlottesville but panicked when he saw that they were armed.

Got to be vigilant against those armed antifa gang members and their quadruple amputee girlfriends.

Last edited:
BLM recently posted this to their official Instagram:

People are pretty mystified by why they thought this would help their case (only 13% of the American population is black). The most likely explanation is that they glanced at it and assumed that it meant the percentage of the entire race that committed the crime, without it occurring to them how strange it would be for half of the population to have committed murder. High intellects leading the charge for racial justice.

The image and its messaging are unclear. I assume these are conviction statistics? “Numbers don’t lie” is true, but people lie with numbers all the time.

It counts arrests (the source is provided in the image). Latinos seem to be counted by a different measure, maybe by language or origin. Probably grouped with the whites in the racial measure.

BLM recently posted this to their official Instagram:

People are pretty mystified by why they thought this would help their case (only 13% of the American population is black). The most likely explanation is that they glanced at it and assumed that it meant the percentage of the entire race that committed the crime, without it occurring to them how strange it would be for half of the population to have committed murder. High intellects leading the charge for racial justice.

It counts arrests (the source is provided in the image). Latinos seem to be counted by a different measure, maybe by language or origin. Probably grouped with the whites in the racial measure.

I would agree this is bad way to represent the numbers, better to state we are arrested at these rates compared to whites though we are far less the population and studies show crime rates per capita is very similar. Yes people abuse numbers all the time. Here is the question you should ask yourself. Are you using the numbers to help people or to make their lives worse?

I would agree this is bad way to represent the numbers, better to state we are arrested at these rates compared to whites though we are far less the population and studies show crime rates per capita is very similar.
I’m unclear on what you are saying here; are you saying that there is evidence that (for the sake of clarity I’m going to simplify the language, and by no means intend to imply anything on my part) whites and blacks commit, per capita, crimes at similar rates?

If so, is this post then about the disparity between white and black arrests?

If you do it on purpose, yeah. If protestors blocking traffic tho not so much

Yes it does not matter actually. A vehicle is a deadly weapon and when you start pushing your way through a crowd with one you are instigating a situation that can badly quickly. For me this is a clear case of picking a fight and then it resulting in an escalation that lead to someone's death. I'm pretty certain that means charges can be brought.

I’m unclear on what you are saying here; are you saying that there is evidence that (for the sake of clarity I’m going to simplify the language, and by no means intend to imply anything on my part) whites and blacks commit, per capita, crimes at similar rates?

If so, is this post then about the disparity between white and black arrests?

Yes some studies show that crime is committed at the exact same rates per capita and that arrests are only so skewed due to over policing in urban areas and under policing in suburbs and rural areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom