1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Blockade ... or ... Embargo?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Plechazunga, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Plechazunga

Plechazunga Chieftain

I'm about to try to deny a rival some important strategic resources he is importing from another civ on another island.

My standing in the world is OK, but maybe not good enough to leverage the emargoes I would want.

So I'm looking at trying the ol' blockade, but have never tried it before. I'd be interested to hear experiences in blockading a rival ... generalities, tall tales, or specifics (including what tiles you need to be sitting on).

Gracias

2. silver 2039

silver 2039 Chieftain

Go with an embargo you need to be at war with him to blockade.

3. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

If he's already in a deal getting the resources you'll have to go to war & blockade or get the civ he's trading with to sign an embargo (I'm pretty sure that cancels the deal), but if it's an important resource he's probably paying well for it, so the guy won't easily give you the embargo.

To blockade you just need to block off access to his cities with harbors. Basically surround them with ships so that no ship can leave without running into one of yours; this will block the trade if you're at war. If they both have airports though, I don't think you can block it.

4. ProPain

ProPain Chieftain

blockading needs war afaik. You can however pillage roads that connect the target AI to his fellow AI as long as they are in neutral terrain or in your own terrain of course. If this severs all ties from target Ai capital to rest of world his deals will end and he'll take a rep hit from not honouring his deal.

Declaring war is much easier though. All ai's that surround him to sever routres to other capitals. If you're prepared to abuse a RoP you can also surround his capital with units, declare war and pillage all the roads around his capital. Takes a bit of planning but 100% effective. Dont capture the capital though, because it will jump to another city , possibly opening up new routes.

5. Plechazunga

Plechazunga Chieftain

So, let's say hypothetically, the AI has an inland capital and three coastal cities with harbors. I can break his offshore deals by disconnecting his capital from the harbors?

The airport however *is* a concern ... he is probably going to be close to that soon.

6. Zingo

Zingo Beer

Isn´t it possible to blockade with privateers?

7. Serpico

Serpico Hikikomori

I don't understand why you folks say blockading needs war... Say the AI is only connected through harbors to it's trade partner and I'm at peace with it and have a ROP maybe, why can't I block the harbors like described above? Will the game assume my ships let his traders through automatically?

8. ProPain

ProPain Chieftain

Yes, that's exactly what you can do because trade depends on capital/capital connection.

9. Plechazunga

Plechazunga Chieftain

I was thinking exactly that, but my privateers get immediately pummelled by another civ, and i mean immediately ... one or two turns out of the harbor.

10. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

You could blockade with privateers, though I think their still needs to be a war declaration, and chances are those privateers wont last long.