1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog Post: Diplomacy Gets a Major Upgrade in Civilization VI (available now)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by zwei833, Aug 16, 2016.

1. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Well at least it contains slightly new information... I mean still not worth waking up for but it's something

2. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Ed couldn't resist mentioning 'diplomatic agendas for example cleopatra and teddy' once more :p

In general, nothing new, just marketing blah blah for Steam, except short and not very detailed note about six types of CBs.

3. rastak

rastak Emperor

6 reasons for a justified war. Wish he would have listed them.

4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Protect a City State or Alliances with another Civ?
    Caught too many Spies?

5. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Yeah. Betraying a Decleration of Friendship. Attacking an ally or a City State.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

So the 6 casus belli are probably:
    Reconquest (AI took one of your cities) - already confirmed
    Denounced (AI denounced you)
    Religious (AI has a different religion or maybe AI converts one of your cities to different religion)
    Government (AI has rival government)
    Alliance (AI declares war on your ally)
    City State (AI attacks a city state that you are protecting)

7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

What about catching too many Spies?
    I think it is a good idea to gather more possibilities, for example I'm not sure if a different Government alone is a CB.
    How does that translate to the leader agendas revealed? Will they declare war without a CB if you are just too far away from what they like?

8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

My guess regarding CBs
    1) Reconquest
    2) Holy War (different religion, may require something additional)
    3) Liberation (different ideology, may require something additional)
    4) Diplomatic Insult (denouncement, sounds like the weakest CB)
    5) Border Tension (idk how would that work for human player)
    6) "Protection of another civ or city state" (may or may not require an alliance)

I think there will be some CB like 5, regarding border mess (amassing troops near the border, violating border, agressive settling, something like this).

I also think 'protection of third party player' CB will be not separate CB but simply a part of alliance, "you don't get penalty if you or your ally was attacked", but I suspect there may be another mechanism allowing you to attack warmongering power than invades another civ, even if said civ isn't your ally.

Another ideas:
    Trade War (embargos, privateering etc, although I have no idea if such features are even there :p )
    Imperialism (if target is sufficiently backwards technologically, ya know, declaring him 'uncivilized savage despots' and 'let's nobly civilize its population')
    Overseas Expansion (another version of the previous one, works the same but additionally requires target to be on a different continent)

9. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

Maybe we can blame Firaxis. But maybe, just maybe, you also could have checked to make sure the link you were posting was actually working instead of just rushing to claim the new thread for it. Just a thought.

10. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

or someone in 2K marketing could have made sure that the link they posted on twitter actually worked before they rushed it out ;)

11. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Idk in this particular instance, but Firaxis's site has been unreliable in the past, especially with new posts, also it was mentioned that Firaxis deleted the tweet. Idk if that's true or not but that would be evidence that it wasnt the op's fault

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

The fact that they moved the blog from the civilization website to the steam website, makes me think that it was a server problem on Firaxis' end.

13. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

For the longest time, especially during BERT, their site was extremely disastrous to navigate (some script kept breaking) they finally fixed it shortly after the first two Civ 6 blog posts.

14. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

random interjection --> it's 2K's marketing/site, not Firaxis's

15. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

The link never worked. It didn't stop working. I caught it when it was first tweeted. Considered posting it.

16. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

In addition to this, I hope they include when the civ you declare on has just ignored your pleas to stop (spreading their religion to your land, spying on you, settling close). In Civ V if they either lied and kept doing it or flat out told me to bug off, I would declare war.

17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Maybe there are also reasons to denounce civs without consequences of third party civs that are friendly with the denounced civ? Maybe you have to denounce first for some CBs as a kind of warning.

18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Enjoying the role-playing aspect, so now the leaders are more than just fancy artwork. Their unique bonuses will behoove you to play according to their agenda.

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I am definitely optimistic that the agenda system and the casus belli system will make civ6 diplomacy feel less random and psychotic.

20. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

They was also a mention of unstacking cities, shame they didn't tell us a bit more about this new exciting mechanic :<