Blood and Iron: The Conquests of the Chancellor

May 5, 340 AD

“Captain, the last of the troops have been loaded.”

Captain Bauman of the Wilhelm Tell looked out over the Hamburg docks. Two other galleons, the Friedrich von Schmidt and the Chancellor Johann von Bismarck, were also loading men and supplies for the invasion of England. “And our sister ships?”

“They should be ready within the hour, Captain.”

“Excellent. I will report to the Marshall, then.” Captain Bauman went below to the guest quarters for Marshall Georg Meyerbeck, the designated commander for the invasion force, and knocked on the door. “Come in!”, said a voice on the other side.

Captain Bauman entered. “Marshall, we have finished loading troops aboard the Wilhelm Tell. The rest of the fleet should be ready within the hour. We will sail when the tide permits.”

“Very well, Captain. I believe the tide will not be ready for another two hours.” Captain Bauman was surprised that the Marshall knew the tide schedules so well, but said nothing. “I have received these sealed orders from the Military Minister.” The Marshall pointed to a series of freshly printed charts of the southern English coast. “I think the best place to get close to the shore safely is here, near these woods. We have codenamed the landing site “Sherwood Forest”.

More of the Military Ministry's foolishness with names. The Captain looked closely at the recorded depths. “I am pleased that someone knows our draft requirements, Marshall. I believe this will be satisfactory.”

“We do try, Captain. To continue, there are sealed orders for you as well.” The Marshall handed over a sealed letter. Captain Bauman opened the letter, which read:

To: Captain Ernst Bauman, Wilhelm Tell
Imperial Military Ministry

RE: Assault on York

Dear Captain Bauman:

As you know, the Wilhelm Tell, along with her two sister ships, will transport the initial invasion force for Operation Overlord. You are directed, once the initial load of soldiers and war material have been transported, to return to Hamburg harbor as soon as possible.

You will then load a second load of cavalry and colonists and set sail along the English east coast, landing them near York in the north of England. We will provide the latest available charts and soundings to you at that time.

We have not spotted any additional barbarians in the North Sea for several years. You are directed to avoid naval combat if possible in the event you encounter English warships. The rules and customs of war are to be followed at all times if a naval engagement is unavoidable.

You are further directed to return to the London area once this mission of Operation Overlord has been accomplished and await further orders.

Dated this 2nd of May, 340.

(signed)
Karl von Clauswitz
Imperial Military Minister”

“Very interesting, Marshall. Do we know what the English navy consists of?”

“Not precisely, Captain. Our diplomatic contacts with the English are rather limited. We have seen small canoes, but no larger vessels.”

Captain Bauman was not reassured. “What about the eight huge pirate frigates near Gibraltar which the Chancellor himself railed about to the Reichstag? They are capable oceangoing vessels, and more than a match for any single ship we have.”

“These frigates are hundred of klicks south of here. We will have several months warning at least if they head north. Besides, I thought your predecessor defeated one of these frigates, well before the Wilhelm Tell was upgraded into a galleon.”

“Marshall, while that was true, that battle was fought against a badly damaged and crippled frigate. The battle could easily have gone the other way. I will repeat, this ship will not survive an assault from an undamaged pirate frigate.”

“I trust that the Military Ministry knows more about the English navy's abilites than we do, Captain.”

“I hope you are right about that, Marshall. The lives of everyone aboard the Wilhelm Tell and the very success of the English invasion may depend upon the outcome.”

January 3, 350 AD

Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck called the meeting of the War Council to order. “I will ask the Military Minister to brief us on the situation in Arabia and England. Karl?”

Karl von Clauswitz, the Military Minister, walked to the podium and pulled down a previously prepared chart. “A force of twelve cavalry divisions is here, just south of Mecca. They will be sent to attack the last stronghold of the Arabians at Medina shortly. We believe that the Arabians have only a total of six divisions of bowmen and spearmen defending the city. The rest of the force will be sent east, to garrison the city of Bangalore.”

“Will this be enough to conquer the Arabs?”

“We are confident that we will prevail, my Chancellor.”

The Foreign Minister raised his hand. “Karl, have we seen any reaction, either from the English pirate frigates near Gibraltar or the Berber pirates in the Meditterranean, to the war?”

“We have noticed nothing unusual with either group, Horst. The only naval news worth reporting to the Council is an indication that the Songhai have built a galley and are sending it north from the Canary Islands.”

“Have the Indians made any threatening moves?”

“They have not, my Chancellor. We have spotted three divisions of Indian swordsmen headed south, within Indian territory. They have lodged a formal protest over the war, but nothing more.”

“Very well, Karl. Please continue with the briefing.”

“Of course, my Chancellor.” The Military Minister pulled down a second chart. “We have designated this as Operation Overlord. Twenty-two cavalry divisions are now in position to attack London. Any units not needed for this purpose will be sent west to attack Nottingham.”

Again the Foreign Minister raised his hand. “I thought there was a third English city in the far north.”

“There is, Horst. A second wave of six cavalry divisions will arrive off the coast of York shortly, transported by the Wilhelm Tell. We do not know exactly what the defenses are at York, but we do not anticipate that the English will be able to hold out for very long.”

There was a silence in the War Council room for a long moment. “I suppose you are to be commended, Karl. I cannot help but feel that there should have been a better way.”

“My Chancellor, as my father said on many previous occasions, this is the only feasible way.”

“Very well. I would like to hear from the Foreign Minister. Horst?”

The Foreign Minister now took the podium. “My Chancellor, I can report that world opinion is decidedly against our invasion of Arabia. Even the Turkish Sultan has called it “unjustified.” The good news is that the Arabs have been unable to this point to obtain allies against us. I expect this point to become largely moot if our forces can overrun Medina quickly.”

“That makes sense, Horst. What about the English?”

“The English are a different matter, my Chancellor. I have fielded a few inquiries from the Turks and the Songhai, but nothing particularly substantive. Again, our military victory over the English will render the matter largely moot.”

“It sounds as though both conflicts are going relatively well. Is there anything else to report before we adjourn?”

A knock sounded at the War Council door, as if on cue. Colonel Wilhelm Tell opened the door and spoke briefly with someone on the other side. “My Chancellor, we have just received an important message from the Carthaginian consul. Shall I read it aloud?”

“Certainly, Colonel.”

“The message reads: “Effective immediately, all trade between Imperial Germany and Carthage is hereby suspended, as a protest against your unjust war in Arabia.”

The Chancellor now turned back to the Foreign Minsiter. “This is a serious development, which did not occur in the Egyptian War. I see what you mean about world opinion, Horst.”

“My Chancellor, it may not be as serious as it might appear. There is very little formal trade between Carthage and Germany. We have a consulate, but we have not even bothered to set up a formal embassy with Carthage. They have no real resources which we need, and they have no money or other goods to purchase our trade goods.”

“I shall remember this for our future dealings with the Carthaginians.” The Chancellor turned back to his Military Minister. “Karl, how quickly could we mount an attack on Carthage at need?”

“I will have to do some checking on that, my Chancellor. I could certainly divert a Corps and perhaps ten cavalry units west to El-Amarna, and from there to attack Carthage itself.”

“Very well. Karl, I want you to make preparations, but do not send any troops into Carthage without formal authorization of the War Council. You have until our next meeting to come up with an appropriate battle plan.”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.”

“Is there anything else before we adjourn?” No one spoke, so the Chancellor continued. “Very well, meeting adjourned.” All stood as the Chancellor left the War Council meeting room.

March 9, 350 AD

Field Marshall Stavros surveyed the scene in the invaded city of Medina, the last stronghold of the Arabs. The experienced German ram crew had made short work of the gates, and the primitive bowmen which were the best the Arabs could field were no match for the guns of the German cavalry. Smoke and flames were already rising from the outskirts of the city as the few remaining defenders had barricaded themselves in the city hall. German cavalry troopers were even now surrounding the building.

The Marshall was about to order an assault when an idea came to him. “Hans, has Shiek Sadim arrived yet?”

“Yes, Marshall.”

“Excellent. Send the Shiek here at once.”

The Shiek proved to be an elderly man with a limp. “You asked to see me, Marshall?”

“Yes. The remaining Arabian defenders are trapped in the City Hall. My men are surrounding the building. I could order a direct assault, but I recall what happened to the 10th Viennese when this was attempted at Mecca.”

“I see. I suppose you want me to go in there and attempt to negotiate a surrender.”

“Exactly. Their tactical position is hopeless. I wish to spare as many of my men as possible, however. This is quite dangerous, however, and no one will hold it against you if you decline.”

The Shiek drew himself up to his full height. “I am an old man now, Marshall. I shall not have it said, however, that I was too much of a coward to at least try.”

“Thank you.” The Marshall's aide rode up with a truce flag, which he handed to the Shiek. “I will expect your return in one hour. If you do not return in that time, I will order an all-out attack.”

Shiek Sadim entered the hastily reinforced City Hall doors holding a truce flag. He soon encountered a scowling Arabian bowman.

“Get lost, German scum! We shall not surrender!”

The former ruler of Arabia looked with pity on the young bowman, and replied in elegant Arabic. “Young man, it is my desire to spare your life and the lives of every Arabian in this building. I wish to at least attempt to reach a peaceful solution before this city and everyone in it is destroyed.”

“We shall not surrender!”

“Bowman, would it harm you to at least let me speak to your leader?”

The man considered for a long moment, and then shrugged. “Follow me, then.”

Shiek Bakr was in an upstairs room, looking over a plan of the city hall at their entrance. He was startled for a moment as he recognized the elderly man whom he had replaced as ruler some twenty-five years ago. “YOU! You vile, worthless traitor! I should kill you now for your betrayal of the Arabian people!”

“It was not I who provoked the Germans into this war! Our people and the Germans were allies and friends under my leadership. You threw all that away when you stole my throne with Egyptian help! Where are your Egyptian allies now!”

“You betrayed your people to the Germans! Our people will now be ruled from Berlin, not Mecca!” Shiek Bakr drew his dagger and stared at his enemy with eyes hardly less threatening.

Shiek Sadim was unmoved by his adversary's threats. “It is quite futile to attack me now, you know. The Germans are here, just outside the walls. They will attack and kill everyone here unless you surrender now.”

“You will not live to see the German victory!” With that Shiek Bakr lunged at his enemy, and the two men struggled near the window. His guards, hearing the sounds of a struggle, rushed into the room. A vicious kick and a final shove sent Shiek Sadim plummeting two stories to the hard-packed earth below with a terrible thud.

At least I will not have to see Medina destroyed was the Shiek's last thought as his vision faded entirely.

April 2, 350 AD

Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck made his way slowly to the podium in the Reichstag Chamber. He was no longer the youthful man who first announced the outbreak of the Indian war a generation ago, and yet there was a spring in his step all the same.

“Good afternoon, Councilmen. It is my joyful duty today to give you and the people of Germany happy news this day. I have received confirmation from Field Marshall Stavros that the last stronghold of the Arabian people at Medina has been destroyed. The Arabian war is now over.” The Chancellor paused as a wave of cheering passed through the Reichstag Chamber.

“There is still more work to do, however. I have directed the Domestic Ministry to begin the process of rebuilding the infrastructure of Mecca. We will also colonize the former Arabian lands as soon as practicable.” The Chancellor paused, and adjusted his monocle. He had time for one irrelevant thought before he continued. This monocle used to be a mere fashion. Now, I actually need it to read my notes for the speech.

“I am also pleased to report that the English capital of London has also been captured, with the ancient statue of the Colossus intact. Our forces will soon attack the remaining English cities of Nottingham and York, and soon the English will join the Arabs in utter defeat!” Again a wave of cheers sounded in the Reichstag Chamber.

“A few voices have been raised in protest against these actions. I have heard it said that we need not have attacked Arabia and England simply because there happen to be Arabian and English pirates in the vicinity. I have a simple response to this misguided protest. Tell that to the German fishermen and sailors who have lost their livelihoods, and in some cases, their very lives, to these evil barbarians and pirates!” Once more a wave of cheers swept through the Reichstag Chamber.”

“One of the first duties of a Chancellor, or any ruler of a civilized people for that matter, is to provide for the common defense of his nation and his people. It is not the policy of Imperial Germany to stand idly by and permit our people to be attacked with impunity by pirates and barbarians. We have already destroyed the pirates and barbarians which have infested the North Sea for generations, and we will continue to battle them until every last one has been destroyed!”

“I am not unmindful, however, of the effect this effort may have on other, peaceful civilizations. I have made it a priority to reassure the historic friends and allies of Germany that our actions in defense of our nation and our people does not herald a shift in our policies. We shall continue our vigilance, and we will be prepared to respond if an enemy chooses to attack us while our army continues the fight against the English.”

“Thank you all and God bless Germany!”

OOS: Merry Christmas, everyone! The English translation of the song in the update is:

Spoiler :
Silent night,
holy night,
All is calm,
all is bright
Round yon Virgin,
Mother and Child,
Holy Infant so
tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

December 24, 350 AD

It was Christmas Eve in the small German village of Lorinst, and yet there was little joy in the house of the Choralmeister Johann Mohr. The Weser River had flooded a good portion of the village earlier in the week, and even the village church had not been spared. The mess from the receding floodwaters was bad enough, but even worse was the damage to the church organ. Critical parts of the organ were damaged beyond repair, and there was no time to fabricate replacements even if somehow they had been available.

It will take a miracle from the Almighty now to save Christmas. His dark thoughts were interrupted by a knock upon his door. “Come in!”, was his automatic response.

A young man and woman entered. The man was carring a violin case. “Choralmeister Johann Mohr, I presume?”

“Yes. Who are you?”

“I am Franz Gruber, and this is my wife Eva. We heard of your situation here in Lorinst, and we would like to help if we can.”

The Choralmeister scowled at his visitors. “I appreciate that, but unless you have a spare organ handy, I doubt there is much you can do.”

“I am afraid I know little of the mechanics of organs, Choralmeister. I do, however, have a little experience in musical composition. I took the liberty of writing a short song on the violin that may help.” Franz took a violin from its case. “May Eva and I demonstrate it for you?”

The Choralmeister was skeptical. On the other hand, what have I to lose? “By all means.”

Franz began a basic melody on his violin. His wife took a deep breath and sang, in a clear soprano voice:

“Stille nacht,
heilige nacht,
alles schlaft,
einsam Wacht,
Nur das Traute
hochheilige Paar,
Holder Knabe,
in lockigen Haar,
Schlaft in Himmlicher Ruh,
Schlaft in Himmlicher Ruh!”

There was a brief silence, before the Choralmeister spoke. “Herr Gruber, you are wasted on a small village like Lorinst. You should be composing for the Imperial Orchestra in Berlin.”

“Thank you, Choralmeister. Eva and I hope to one day do just that.”

The Choralmeister was deep in thought. “It is a pity that you do not have sheet copies of that song. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to teach that to the choir in time without them.”

Eve Gruber smiled at this. She looked at her husband, and said. “Franz and I thought of that. We were able to have thirty copies printed yesterday, in the hopes that you would approve. Herr Kransberg was most helpful when we told him why we needed them in such a hurry.”

Gott in Himmel, the miracle I asked for! “Thank you both so much. Please come to the practice tonight at 7:00. The good people of Lorinst will be most grateful for your efforts.

“Thank you, Choralmeister. We will be there.”

January 3, 360 AD

Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck called the meeting of the War Council to order. “I will ask the Military Minister to report on the war in England. Karl?”

Karl von Clauswitz, the Military Minister, took the podium once more. “My Chancellor, the Wilhelm Tell is scheduled to land her load of five cavalry divisions here, just south of the last English stronghold at York. We are also sending reinforcements by land from London. It should not take long to crush the remaining English resistance.”

The Military Minister pulled down a second chart. “I have ordered the 2nd Corps and ten cavalry divisions west to El-Amarna. I expect them to be in position to assault Carthage in two years time. The rest of the troops will be sent east to reinforce the garrison at Bangalore. There are nine cavalry divisions there now. I am pleased to report that there is no indication of any large scale Indian troop movements at this time.”

“We have also received two other reports of interest. Our cavalry scouts have encountered a few barbarians in central Africa, near the site of former Egyptian territory. They have also reported Songhai impis in the area as well. I have no doubt that King Sunni Ali is looking to expand his lands into this unclaimed territory. We have spotted Indian settlers in near the Horn of Africa as well.”

“I see. What of our own settlers, Karl?”

“My Chancellor, we have one group headed south into the former Arabian lands. Two other groups are headed north from New Hyderabad and south from Heliopolis. A fourth group will be landed in England to rebuild York once it is captured.”

“Very well, Karl. Is there anything else to report?”

“There is, my Chancellor. The Wotan's Spear has reported discovering a large landmass well to the south of the Indian lands in southeast Asia, which they have named Australia. Their orders are to cross the Pacific and sail to Panama Canal.”

The Cultural Minister raised his hand. “Karl, do we know how large this 'Australia' is, or whether it is inhabited?”

“Those are both good questions, Ernst. The short answer to both questions is that we simply do not know. The caravel only has one or two more pigeons aboard, and so they will not be able to tell us much more unless they succeed in their voyage.”

“Thank you, Karl.”, said the Chancellor. “I would like to hear from the Foreign Minister. Horst?”

The Foreign Minister, Horst von Steinberg, now took the podium. “My Chancellor, I do have some good news to report. The conquest of the Arabs has effectively silenced our critics abroad for the moment. The continuing war with England has little effect on world opinion, since they have not made formal contact with any other existing civilizations. They did have some contacts with the Spanish just prior to the Spanish Conquest, but no one else.”

“That is good news, Horst. What about the Carthaginians?”

“We have received a request to reopen the consulates in Carthage and Berlin respectively, my Chancellor. There is no indication that the Carthaginians have access to other sources of trade goods at this time.”

The Chancellor thought for a moment. “I am concerned that they were willing to join the Arabs in a trade embargo against us. No one, even during the depths of the Egyptian War, did such a thing. I do not believe it is prudent to permit such a situation to continue unchallenged. Karl, I believe you reported that a Corps and ten cavalry divisions are on the way to El-Amarna?”

“I did, my Chancellor. If I might anticipate your next question, the Carthaginians have only one small city, and they are far behind us in technology. We can conquer them with little difficulty.”

“Excellent. I will call for a formal vote, then. All in favor of an attack upon Carthage when our forces are assembled?” Everyone raised their hands, with the notable exception of the Foreign Minister. “I am sorry, Horst. The attack on Carthage is approved. Karl, I want to see detailed plans for the invasion on my desk in one week's time.”

The Chancellor now turned to his Domestic Minister. “Otto, I would like to hear from you next. How are our people reacting to the English war?”

The Domestic Minister now took the podium. “My Chancellor, I am pleased to report that the German people are solidly behind you. Your overall approval rating is hovering around 85%. The swift defeat of the Arabs has actually helped your image here at home. I expect you to be reelected for a seventh term as Chancellor by a similar margin.”

“That is good news, Otto. At least, good for everyone but the opposition.” There was a polite chuckly at the Chancellor's witticism. “What effect will an attack on Carthage have on public opinion?”

“My Chancellor, I expect little or no change. A swift defeat of the Carthaginians will actually improve your image here at home.”

“I expected as much, Otto.” The Chancellor paused for a moment, and then turned to his Foreign Minister. “I suppose the reason you oppose the war, Franz, is due to your concern about our reputation abroad?”

“Exactly, my Chancellor. We cannot keep attacking small nations which border us without consequences, as we might have done in earlier eras.”

“We do live in an age of blood and iron, Franz. I fear our reputation abroad will simply have to suffer. I want you working on ways to minimize the damage and improve relations with our allies.”

“I shall do my best, my Chancellor.”

The Chancellor now turned back to the assembled Ministers. “Is there anything else to discuss before we adjourn?” No one spoke, and so the Chancellor continued, “Meeting adjourned, then.” All stood as the Chancellor left the War Council meeting room.

February 2, 360 AD

The official chamberlain of the Imperial Palace entered the throne room. “Pardon me, my Chancellor. The Military Minister has just arrived, and requests a brief audience.”

“Very well, Rudi. Send him in.”

Karl von Clauswitz, the Military Minister, entered the throne room carrying a box of papers. “Good morning, Karl. What news have you brought today?”

“Good morning, my Chancellor. We have just received a cache of maps and documents recovered from central Africa, near the former Egyptian lands. It seems the 7th Vanadorn defeated a group of barbarians, and recovered this from their camp. They are from a Songhai explorer impi which was apparently defeated recently by these same barbarians.”

“I see. I trust you had them translated?”

“Of course, my Chancellor. They did not add appreciably to our own maps of the area, unfortunately. Some of the documents are missing, and so we are not certain which impi unit these materials originally came from. I spoke with the Foreign Minister, who suggested that I bring them here. Horst also recommended we contact the Songhai Ambassador and return the documents to the Songhai.”

The Chancellor thought for a moment. “That makes sense. I am certain King Sunni Ali will want this back. Please contact the Songhai Ambassador at once.”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.” The Military Minister turned to do just that when the chamberlain entered the throne room. “Forgive the intrusion, my Chancellor. The Songhai Ambassador has just arrived and requests an audience.”

“Interesting.”, replied the Chancellor. “I had intended to ask him to come here in any event. Please send him in.”

The Songhai Ambassador, Mansa Musa, entered the throne room and bowed to the Chancellor in the florid Songhai style. “Greeting, O Chancellor. Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.”

“The pleasure is mine, Ambassador. I believe you know the Military Minister. What can I do for you on this winter day?”

The Ambassador looked uneasily at the Military Minister. “I trust, Chancellor, that the presence of the Military Minister does not indicate anything ominous?”

Both the Minister and the Chancellor smiled at that. “Not at all, Ambassador. As it happens, Karl was informing me upon a matter of interest to the Songhai, which I will address shortly. Again, what can I do for you today?”

“Chancellor, our esteemed leader has asked me about German intentions as a result of the recent conquest of Arabia and the continuing war with the mysterious English barbarians.”

The Chancellor was annoyed at this question, but one could not have known it from his expression or his voice. “Our policy towards the Songhai has not changed, Ambassador. The situation with the Arabs had become intolerable, even if one discounted their involvement with the pirates and barbarians infesting the Mediterranean Sea. We have had similar difficulties with the English, as you may know. I believe your esteemed leader has lost several Songhai ships to the pirates off the northern African coast as well.”

“That is quite true, Chancellor. Our leader also asks about German efforts to settle in the former Egyptian lands in central Africa.”

“The lands in question are currently unclaimed, unless one counts the numerous barbarians in the area. We intend to build a few colony cities, and to build a road linking them together, which is something the Egyptians did not bother to do. Our forces are under strict orders not to enter into Songhai territory for any reason, and to the best of my knowledge, that order has been obeyed.”

“I am glad to hear that, Chancellor. For our part, our esteemed King has given similar orders to our impi warriors. We are sending soldiers deeper into the jungles. The accursed barbarians have caused much harm to our people, and it will be necessary to wipe them out.”

“That, Ambassador, is something we can both agree upon. There is another small matter which I would like to address, now that you are here. This is also why the Military Minister happened to be here when you arrived. One of our cavalry units managed to defeat a group of barbarians in central Africa. They had apparently overrun one of your impis a year or so ago, and had these maps in their possession.” The Chancellor handed over the bundle which the Military Minister had just given him.

“The precise unit designation of the Songhai impi is missing, but I suspect you can determine which it is from the context of the surviving documents and maps. Please accept this with my compliments, and assure your people that the brave Songhai impi which gave their lives for your esteemed King have been avenged.”

The Ambassador had expected almost anything other than this from the Chancellor. “I am most pleased by this, Chancellor. I shall be certain to convey these documents to the King at once.”

“The barbarians are the enemy of both the Germans and the Songhai, Ambassador. There does not seem to be any other way to deal with them other than with force.” The Chancellor paused for a moment. “I believe that will do for now. Thank you again for coming, and please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff if your esteemed King has other concerns which I may be able to address.”

“It is my pleasure, Chancellor. The King will be most pleased with the recovery of these documents and maps.” The Ambassador bowed again, and left the throne room at once.

The Chancellor then turned to his Military Minister. “Karl, I want you to tell our cavalry units to keep an eye out for more of this sort of material.”

March 1, 360 AD

Karl von Clauswitz, the Military Minister, was preparing for the War Council meeting when his chief aide reported. “Sir, General Blucher has arrived.”

Another difficult task to perform. “Very well, Helmut. Send the General in.”

General Alberich Blucher of the 11th Hamburg entered the Minister's office and saluted. The Minister returned the salute. “At ease, General. It seems we have a good deal to discuss concerning the failed assault on York.”

“Yes, Minister.”

“Perhaps it would be best if you briefly explained the tactical situation.”

“Minister, I had five cavalry divisions readily available, but no siege equipment. I ordered an attack on the 3rd of February. The conditions were rather cold and misty. You would not credit the fogs that infest that region, Minister.”

“Enough about the weather, General. Get to the actual battle, if you please.”

“Yes, Minister. We had to close to some thirty meters to even see the defenders. We were able to pick off many of their spearmen defending the walls, but we had to get within spear throwing range to do it. The defenders were more numerous than we had expected.”

“How many defenders do they have, General?”

“We were told to expect three, perhaps four divisions of defenders. They must have had twice that many. Fortunately, they do not have many archers, or our losses would have been far worse.”

“So why did you not pull down the gates of York as we have done numerous times during the Egyptian War?”

“We tried, Minister! The gates of York were literally set in the bedrock. The city itself is on a natural hill. Most of the cities we captured during the Egyptian War were located on level ground, or on desert land.”

“A most unfortunate oversight indeed, General. When did you order the retreat?”

“We did not retreat, Minister. I ordered a tactical withdrawal after the failure to pull down the gates. We had no practical way to scale the walls without siege equipment, and we did not have the ram crew we needed to batter down the gates. We inflicted what damage we could and withdrew. I gave orders to continue the siege until the proper equipment and reinforcements could arrive from London.”

The Minister paused long enough that the General finally spoke out again. “Minister?”

“Forgive me, General. I was recalling a similar situation my father faced as Military Minister during the Indian War a generation ago. It appears that you acted properly. Brave frontal attacks in impossible situations make for exciting war stories, but they are not as effective in real life. The English have earned a temporary respite, no more.” Again the Minister paused for a moment.

“A few more questions, then. Is there any sign that the English can obtain further reinforcements?”

“No, Minister. We have conquered the rest of the English nation. They may be able to raise another division from the remaining populace, but no more. We estimate that our forces destroyed the equivalent of four divisions of English spearmen, at the cost of some 600 German casualties.”

“Have we spotted any English vessels or pirates near the battle zone?”

“No, Minister. The Wilhelm Tell is blockading the harbor, and our siege lines will spot any large vessel that tries to escape. We have seen a few primitive canoes, no more.”

“Excellent. Then we shall renew the assault next spring, when you have the proper equipment available. I have one final order. Tomorrow's meeting of the War Council will no doubt discuss the failed attempt to capture York. I want you there in the event the Chancellor or the Council wishes to question you personally.”

The General paled at this, as he had not done in battle or in the briefing of the Military Minister. “Do not be concerned, General. I shall give you the same advice as was given to me when I first addressed the War Council. The Chancellor is a reasonable man. He will expect you to do your duty, but he does not expect the impossible. Simply tell him and the War Council what you have told me.”

“Yes, Minister."

May 25, 360 AD

Karl von Clauswitz, the Military Minister, was walking the eight blocks to his office as he had done for years. The late spring air always seemed to raise his spirits in the early morning air. I will need all the help I can get, now that I am assigned to tutor the next Chancellor of Germany in the arts of the Military Ministry. I really do not need some stuck-up young twerp underfoot for the next several months.

The morning staff stood at attention as usual as he entered the Ministry headquarters. “At ease, everyone.”, said Karl in a rather bored tone as he headed for his spacious office on the ground floor. He had come in a few minutes early on this Monday morning to prepare for the Prinz's arrival.

“Good morning, Minister”, said the page as Karl entered his office. The Minister turned at the unfamiliar voice, and belatedly recognized the page as Prinz Otto von Bismarck himself, dressed in casual attire rather than the finery the Minister might have expected.

“Interesting. Welcome to the Military Ministry, Prinz Otto. I commend your promptness and your attention to your new duties.” Perhaps this will turn out to be an easier task than I had thought.

“Thank you, Minister.”

“Please have a seat, Prinz Otto. There are a few things to discuss concerning your duties.” The Minister sat down behind his massive oak desk, and motioned his newest aide to sit as well. “First, what precisely did the Chancellor tell you about your stay here at the Ministry?”

“Father was not very specific, Minister. He stated that I should spend at least the summer working here at the Ministry under your guidance. I have already spent the last six months at the Domestic Ministry to get a sense of how they function.”

“I was afraid of that, Prinz Otto. I should tell you that the Chancellor was none too specific when he discussed this with me last week. My instructions are simply to see that you get a sense of the way the Ministry actually works. I can think of no better way to do that than to duplicate the way I was taught by my father. There will be a great deal of paperwork and no glamour or public recognition.”

“That is what I had expected, Minister. Minister Otto was very strict about that sort of thing when I was at the Domestic Ministry.” The young man paused for a moment. “I know this must be awkward for you, Minister. I wish to learn what I can from my stay here, and I wish to be a help rather than a hindrance.”

“We shall see, Prinz Otto. Your first task will be to catalog the files on the former Arabian nation for the official archives. I once spent a good deal of time doing this with the files on the former Persian nation when I was your age. I will introduce you to the official custodian of the archives, and he will explain the precise specifics which you will need.”

“I gladly accept this task, Minister.”

“Very well, Prinz Otto. Any questions before we proceed?”

“A request, Minister. Would you mind simply addressing me as 'Otto'? Minister Otto insisted that everyone call me by my formal title, and I found it rather embarrassing when I was doing such mundane tasks as bringing coffee to everyone else in the office.”

“I see. As you wish...Otto. I shall have to be careful to avoid addressing the Domestic Minister as 'Prinz Otto', however.”

June 2, 360 AD

Grosbruckner Wilhelm II conducted the official oath of office for the Chancellor. “Konrad von Bismarck, do you solemnly swear, before God and country, that you will faithfully carry out the duties of Chancellor and defend the country against all her enemies, foreign and domestic?”

“I so swear.”

“Then, by the power vested in me, I hereby solemnify your reelection as Chancellor of Imperial Germany. Congratulations, Chancellor Bismarck!” The two men shook hands, to the shouts and applause of the waiting crowd. The newly reelected Chancellor turned to the podium.

“People of Germany! Once again I stand before you as your newly reelected Chancellor. I shall set forth a few points, as is customary on these occasions.”

“First, I wish to thank the vast majority of the German people who have supported the Imperial Party once more, even as our forces engage in battle against the last remnants of the English Queen. Your continuing support in these times is a tremendous help to me personally and to the nation at large.”

“Second, a priority of my administration will be the rebuilding of the former Arab nation. I am pleased to announce that a new city is planned, to be built over the ruins of Medina. I have directed the Domestic Ministry to build three other cities in the former Egyptian territory as well.

“There have been concerns raised in some quarters about the just concluded war with Arabia and the war with the English. I shall repeat what I said a year ago when the last stronghold of the Arabs was captured by our valiant cavalry troopers. Germany will not tolerate the existence of the pirates and barbarians near her shores, and she will not tolerate the despotic governments which harbor and support them. We will continue our efforts over the next six years to do battle with the pirates in the Mediterranean Sea, and we will one day wipe them out, as we wiped out the savage barbarians in the North Sea!” There was a roar of approval from the crowd at this, and it took a few moments before the Chancellor could continue his address.

“Our scholars and scientists are the envy of the world, and I intend to ensure that it will stay that way. I shall continue the policies of generous funding for the Imperial Academy of Sciences, so that their efforts may improve the quality of life for all the German people. One need only think of the German children who need no longer die of diptheria to see the value of this effort.”

“I also wish to address the very few Germans who supported opposition candidates in the recent election. I am willing to work with all those of good will who wish to improve life for all of the German people, even if they are not a part of the Imperial Party. I am always willing to listen to constructive suggestions to this end.”

“Thank you all and God bless Germany!”

January 3, 370 AD

Chancellor Bismarck called the meeting of the War Council to order. “I believe that the Science Minister has an announcement. Johann?”

The Science Minister, Johann von Neumann, took the podium. “I am pleased to announce that we at the Imperial Academy of Science have perfected the art of creating Electricity. There remain a few technical obstacles, but it is our consensus that we should focus our attention on other areas. Our specific concern is that the study of science is not sufficiently organized. We would like to see the same sort of organization in scientific matters that we have already achieved in military history and tradition, and we believe that will greatly improve our scientific research efforts.”

“That sounds like a reasonable plan, Johann. I am inclined to approve your proposal. Are there any objections among the Council?” No one objected, and so the Chancellor continued. “Very well. Pursue your plans to improve the organization of scientific research. I would now like the Military Minister to brief us on the English war. Karl?”

The Military Minister, Karl von Clauswitz, now took the podium. “We expect to renew the assault on York shortly. The first wave did not have the manpower to overwhelm the enemy. This time we have twice the cavalry troopers available. I expect the city to fall within the next month or so. Once York has fallen, we will rebuild the city as a German outpost. The remaining troops not needed for the assault on York will be sent back across the Channel to Hamburg, and then on to Bangalore.”

“What about the Carthaginians?”, asked the Chancellor.

“My Chancellor, the 2nd Corps arrived in El-Amarna two weeks ago. The remaining ten divisions of the assault force will arrive by March. I recommend that we allow at least several months to rest and refill the ranks, and ride into Carthage next spring. We should be able to get our forces to the hills overlooking Carthage before they have time to react. All other available troops are being sent to Bangalore.”

“Excellent. Let us hear now from the Foreign Minister. Horst?”

The Foreign Minister, Horst von Steinberg, took the podium. “I am not particularly comfortable with an attack on Carthage, as you all know. I recommend that we at least meet with the Songhai and the Turks, to reassure them that we have no hostile intentions towards them. I must warn you and the Council that our reputation abroad has not recovered from the days just prior to the Egyptian War, and further aggression on our part will worsen that situation. We may face great difficulties, for example, in obtaining allies if the Indians choose to break the peace treaty once more and attack us.”

“Is there anything we can do to improve our image abroad, Horst?”

We could simply refrain from attacking a tiny harmless nation on our borders. Aloud the Foreign Minister replied, “My Chancellor, we are doing what we can with our limited resources. The good news is the damage from attacking Carthage will be limited if we can prevail quickly.”

“I see. We all realize the difficulties you face, Horst. No one here blames you for our current reputation abroad. I think it is important to show other nations that one cannot engage in hostile actions against Germany, such as a trade embargo, with impunity. The Carthaginians chose to ally economically with our Arab enemies during wartime, and they shall pay for that mistake.” There was a chill in the air at the blunt words of the Chancellor.

“Very well. Is there anything else before we adjourn?” The War Council was surprised when the young Prinz Otto raised his hand. “Yes, Otto?”

“Father, may I ask a perhaps naïve question? Could we not ask the Songhai to ally with us against Carthage? Surely that would improve our reputation abroad.”

“Otto, on the surface that would be a good idea. There are a few difficulties, however. I will explain further after the meeting, so as not to detain the Ministers unnecessarily.” The Chancellor looked around for any other questions. Seeing none, he continued, “Meeting adjourned, then.” The Chancellor turned to his son as the other Ministers stood as usual.

The Chancellor belatedly realized that everyone else was standing, waiting for him to exit the meeting. “Otto, come with me to the Imperial Gardens. I shall answer your question on the way.” The Ministers remained standing as the Chancellor and Prinz Otto left the meeting room.

“Did I do wrong by asking that question, Father?”, asked Prinz Otto once they were out of earshot of the meeting room.

“No. It is a reasonable question. There are three basic problems with allying with the Songhai against Carthage. First, we would have to offer something to the Songhai to get them to declare war on Carthage, presumably a substantial sum of marks or resources. Second, we have the forces available to defeat the Carthaginians ourselves. We do not need outside help for this task, and I see no reason to prolong the war to allow the Songhai time to get their troops into position. Finally, the Songhai will no doubt be displeased if we simply crush the Carthaginians without any effort on their part. They will rightly believe that we manipulated them into fighting, and our reputation would actually get worse instead of better.”

“I am sorry, Father. I did not know that.”

“That is why you will be attending all of the Council meetings from now on. Besides, I once asked the same basic question you did long ago, during the Indian War. I thought that we could ally with the Persians while the Indians were sending thousands of troops through their territory to attack us. The short version of the story is that an alliance with Persia proved impractical, and so I reluctantly ordered our troops to attack and destroy Persia.”

“I shall have to look up our records of that incident, Father.”

“A fine idea. Call it a small homework project before the next meeting.”

“It shall be done, Father.”

February 8, 370 AD

Excerpt from Siege Warfare, Karl Strauss, p. 197, Ritter Press, Berlin, 870.

“The German Military Ministry decided to test their new siege tower against the gates of York. The tower was shipped to London across the channel aboard the Friedrich von Schmidt, and then reassembled just outside York. The tower was far too heavy to move by manpower alone from the inside, and so a system of cables and pulleys were employed to send it against the English defenses.”

General Alberich Blucher, of the 11th Hamburg and overall commander of the German assault force, surveyed the city of York once more from the German siege trench just south of the enemy city. The siege tower had finally arrived, and were being hastily reassembled after being broken down for transport. This time we will finally break the walls of York!

His adjutant came forward. “General, the reassembly of the siege tower will be complete within the hour. Shall we send a parley team, or simply attack?”

The General considered for a moment. “We will attack when the tower is ready. These English have had months to surrender, and I will not risk any more of my men than needed.”

An hour later the great tower was reassembled and ready. “For Bismarck and for Germany! Send the tower forward!”

The massive siege tower, some fifteen meters high and the same across, began to rumble up the hill to the gates of the city like some mythical monster. The front of the tower was coated with a four centimeter thick layer of overlapping iron plates riveted together. Cables half a meter across were pulled by six teams of oxen, moving the tower slowly but inexorably forward.

The English were quick to see the approaching tower moving up the hill through the morning mists. A volley of hundreds of arrows flew towards the iron plates of the tower, and simply glanced off as though they were raindrops. It took eight minutes for the tower to reach the base of the wall and the last line of the English defenses, under nearly continuous arrow fire.

A second team of oxen pulled the ram cable. A five hundred kilo ram was slowly pulled back, and then suddenly released to smash into the reinforced gates with a great hollow thud. It took only six strokes of the ram before the gates of York were battered down.

Thousands of German cavalry troopers rushed forward through the destroyed gates. At first the defenders inflicted serious damage, as the siege tower, its work complete, was pulled back to allow entrance into the city. The English spearmen defending York were also defending the last hope of their nation and their people, and fought with a savage ferocity that few of the troopers had ever seen before.

The numbers of the German cavalry turned the tide of the battle. Once more the shouts of “SABRES!” rang out, as the cavalry troopers in the vanguard drew their sabres and charged. The melee lasted for some two hours, but the outnumbered and outmatched English defenders were soon driven from the gates back into the city.

By noon the Germans had reached the new palace compound in the center of York. Fires by now were raging out of control in the southern half of the city as the population fled northwards. Few tried to resist, and those that did were quickly shot down by musket fire or killed by German iron.

The last stand of the English took place there. No attempt was made to parley by either side, and so General Blucher gave the order to attack. The last of the English defenders, armed only with farm implements and whatever weapons they could find or scavenge from their own dead, had no chance at all against the German cavalry troopers, and quickly fell to concentrated musket fire.

The city of York had fallen, and with it the last hopes of the English people.

February 22, 370 AD

The official state visit of the Sultan to Germany had so far proceeded without notable incident. The Sultan had taken the official tour of the Great Wall of Berlin, and seen the new Imperial Rail Locomotive Works just outside the city. It was only on the third day of the visit that the two leaders were finally able to speak together in private, with only four guards, two on either side, in attendance.

“I am most pleased that you have finally found the time for a state visit to Imperial Germany, now that you have succeeded to the Sultanate.”

“It is my pleasure, Chancellor. In a strange way, I almost wish I were still Crown Prince and my father were still here in my place.”

“Believe me, Sultan, I know what you mean. My father died more than thirty years ago now, and I still miss him all these years later.

The Sultan paused, and his expression hardened for a moment. “To business, then. There are many in my realm, Chancellor, who are most concerned by the recent actions of the German military.”

“I expected as much, Sultan. I will tell you what I told the Reichstag on the relevant occasions. It is not the policy of Imperial Germany to stand idly by and permit pirates and barbarians to attack our people with impunity. We discovered that some of these pirates have English and Arabic origin.

“So what effect will this actually have on the pirates, Chancellor? It is my understanding that the armada of pirates in the Mediterranean Sea are still there, making sea navigation difficult.”

“In one sense, that is still true, Sultan. The pirates have learned to stay out of catapult, and now cannon range, and so it is now possible to access fishing grounds that were once blocked. The conquest of the English and the Arabs will also deny the pirates the opportunity to repair their ships. There is another part of the matter, one that may prove of interest to your people in the future.”

“You have my attention, Chancellor. What did you have in mind?”

“It will take a little time to explain. It involves the marvelous new rail system we are developing. You see, it is quite true that sailing across the Mediterranean Sea is still quite hazardous, despite our navy's best efforts so far. We are building a rail line around the Mediterranean Sea. It is now possible to board a train here in Berlin and arrive in Memphis in a week or so. Soon we will be able to travel from Berlin to El-Amarna entirely by rail. We can also send goods and cargo along these rails, and so they need not make the hazardous journey by sea.”

“So what does all this have to do with Turkey?”

“A fair question, Sultan. I suppose I am being indiscreet by telling you this, but it has come to my attention that your scholars are working on improved gunpowder weapons.”

The Sultan was startled by the blunt way the Chancellor revealed one of the most secret programs of the Turkish military. “I...did not realize that you had heard of our efforts, Chancellor.”

“That was not intended as a reproach, Sultan. After all, it is your people who discovered Gunpowder, and you yourself traded that knowledge to my people when you were last here in Berlin as Crown Prince. I believe that your efforts in this regard are for the safety and security of the Turkish people, just as I have taken actions against those who sponsor the evil pirates and barbarians we had discussed.”

“There is more to the story, though, if I am not mistaken.”

Chancellor Bismarck smiled at that. “Quite so. I have a modest trade proposal of my own. I have been able to direct our own scientists into other fields of research, knowing that your scholars are working on improved muskets. I propose that, once your scientists have succeeded, you and I speak further on this subject. I would be willing, for example, to consider trading the knowledge of how to design and build these steam engines to you in exchange for the knowledge of improved muskets.”

The Chancellor paused for a moment. “It is a pity, though, that I can no longer offer contact with the English as an additional bonus. I can confirm that our forces crushed the last of the English resistance some two weeks ago now.”

So that is what the Chancellor is up to! “That is quite a proposal, Chancellor. I will need some time to give your statesmanlike proposal the care and study which it deserves.”

“Of course, Sultan. After all, your scientist have not yet succeeded, as far as I know, in creating these theoretical new weapons. I have to look to the future, in order to plan for the future needs of my people. It is far better for both of us that your people and mine work together, as we have done in the past.”

“I am relieved to hear that there is no cause of war between our peoples, Chancellor. That, at bottom, is why many of my people are beginning to fear the German military might.”

The Chancellor was silent for a long moment. “There is an analogy which may help you. I have heard a number of reports of the difficulties you have had with the savage Tartar barbarians in central Asia. Suppose, for a moment, that your military staff came to you and provided proof that they were connected with, say, the Mongols or the Chinese. How would you react?”

The Sultan considered the question for a moment. “I suppose that I would demand an explanation from the Mongols or the Chinese.”

“And if their reply was not satisfactory, or if they refused to explain at all?” The look on the Sultan's face told an eloquent tale. “You see then, where this is leading. I would expect that you would take appropriate and decisive action to protect your nation and your people. To be quite frank, I would be prepared to send a few cavalry divisions to assist your efforts. We have lost contact with our explorer teams in eastern Asia, and I have no doubt the barbarians are responsible.”

“You have a point, Chancellor. May I ask if you have any other such plans against other nations?”

“A difficult question to answer, Sultan. Our peoples have always been allies and friends, and so I shall give you a straight answer. You may recall that the Carthaginians chose to enter a trade embargo with Arabia against us, during the brief Arabian conflict. The embargo is of course no longer binding, since the Arabs have been conquered. I do not believe is is prudent to permit such an action against Germany to remain unchallenged. I expect that we will march into Carthage shortly, within the next year or so, and teach them the folly of allying against us.” The Sultan was chilled by the matter of fact way the Chancellor pronounced the doom of the Carthaginians.

“And the Indians?”

“The Indians are another matter entirely. Our peace treaty with them comes up for renewal in three years time. So far I have seen no particularly aggressive actions on their part, but we will monitor the situation closely. I have no plans to attack them at this time, or anyone else save the Carthaginians.”

“I appreciate your honesty and candor in this matter, Chancellor. I need not add that I will certainly keep the knowledge of your impending attack on Carthage under my turban, so to speak.” The Sultan paused for a long moment. “It seems your military is quite well informed indeed. Do you in fact have knowledge that the Tartar barbarians are connected with the Mongols or the Chinese?”

I thought he might take that bait. “No, Sultan. That was but an example, to give you an idea as to why we have taken the military actions that we have. You have my solemn word that I will immediately inform you if we discover anything of the sort. I imagine, however, that you would learn of any such connection long before I could.”

“There are many in my realm who will be pleased and relieved to hear that you have no aggressive intentions toward my people.” The Sultan sighed for a moment. “I remember when you told me that there would be a period of peace, as you recovered from the effects of the Egyptian War.”

“And so there has been, Sultan. The actions against Arabia and England, and soon Carthage, are mere skirmishes only, hardly worthy of the title of war. Our people have been able to develop our economy, in matters such as the rail system you have seen, precisely because we are no longer engaged in great wars against India or Egypt. I have no desire to see that come to an end. I would prefer to see matters settled as you and I are doing now, like civilized rulers.” The Chancellor held out his goblet, and the Sultan gently clinked goblets.

“You are right once again, Chancellor. This is a far more civilized way of doing things.”

OOS: I thought it might be a good time to post another description of the world as it exists in 370 AD. The map itself is the one from Kal-El's Test of Time (start position only).

Imperial Germany controls all of RL continental Europe. The conquered civilizations of the Celts, the Romans, the Spanish, and the Vikings are all a part of the German Empire. The small island of the English has been conquered, as well as the Persians. The city of Vanadorn occupies the site of the former capital of the Romans, and Prinz von Persien occupies the site of the the former capital of the Persians. The lands of the RL Middle East, formerly Indian, Egyptian, and Arabic, are now German. The Germans have a strip of land running east from RL Iraq through the former Persian lands to the fortress cities of Bangalore and Ahmadabad bordering India.

The Germans have conquered most of NE Africa, and are building colony cities south of Pithom in the former Egyptian lands. The Indians have one small city at New Pune, near the Horn of Africa, though not on the coast. The German territory ends at the Carthaginian frontier near El-Amarna, and they have a sizable border with the Songhai. Parts of the Sahara are explored, but not actually occupied at the moment. The Songhai control the NW section of Africa and a strip along the western coast to a point just south of the equator. The Songhai are slowly expanding southwards into the central African jungles.

The Indians still control a huge amount of territory from RL India east to southern and central RL China and southeast Asia. They are also beginning to settle the islands off the southeast Asian coast. The Chinese, and the Mongols are both one-city civilizations north of Indian territory. The Turks control the lands north of the Indians and west to the western side of the Caspian Sea, and are beginning to expand northwards into RL Russia. There is a dimly visible small civilization northeast of China, which later turns out to be the Koreans.

Most of Asia is now charted, with a few exceptions in RL Siberia. Africa still has some unknown areas to the south of the equatorial jungles. Most of western North America has been charted, though there are large areas of the Americas which remain totally unknown. Australia has recently been circumnavigated, though the interior is also totally uncharted.

The Iroquois have one city in the New World. The Germans have a total of five colony cities in the New World: Tikal, Heikles, Panama Canal, Sanka, and Amazon, and a rail line is being built with great difficulty to link all of them.

I am working on several updates to the story. I can say that the Carthaginians are in deep trouble, and a vital rail line will be completed shortly. Stay tuned! :)

March 1, 370 AD

Minister Karl von Clauswitz was working late at his office in the Military Ministry when there was a knock at his door. “Come in!”

Prinz Otto came in, carrying a box of files and papers. “This is the last of the English records, Minister.”

“Excellent. Just leave it here on the desk. I will send it down to the archives tomorrrow.”

“Yes, Minister. It seems rather strange. I have spent months working on all this, only to see it disappear into the archives, and probably never to be seen by mortal eye again.”

“I know what you mean. I spent ten years becoming an expert on the Egyptians, when my father was Miltiary Minister, before the Egyptian War broke out. Our conquest of the Egyptians was completed eight years ago, and I doubt very much that anyone has bothered to look at any of that material since it was archived. I would scarcely wish it to be any other way, but in a way I do miss those days. Think of it as an important lesson when you become Chancellor one day.”

“I shall do so, Minister. Is there anything else?”

“Yes. I will have one last project for you before you spend time interning at the Science Ministry. It occurred to me that we have little accurate information as to the strength of the Carthaginian garrison. I want you to examine our records of the Persian despotate just prior to the conquest.”

“Yes, Minister.” The young Prinz paused for a moment. “Minister, why would our Persian archives help us determine the Carthaginian's military strength?”

“A fair question. The Persians had access to dyes and incense near their borders, while the Carthaginians have no such advantages. The only resource near them is a deposit of saltpeter, which they do not know how to use properly. I think the Persians had only seven or eight light divisions in their city, and if I am right, we need only send five divisions with the 2nd Corps to conquer Carthage. I want you working on ways to confirm that.”

“I shall do my best, Minister.”

January 2, 380 AD

Chancellor Bismarck called the Ministry Council meeting to order. “I will ask the Military Minister to brief us on the impending war with the Carthaginians. Karl?”

The Military Minister, Karl von Clauswitz, took the podium once more. “My Chancellor, the 2nd Corps and five cavalry divisions will be sent into Carthage. They should arrive at the hills just southwest of the capital and only city by early summer. The rest of our available troops are being sent to Bangalore and Jaipur to reinforce our positions in India.” The Minister uncharacteristically paused for a moment. “I should perhaps state that we confirmed the relative weakness of the Carthaginians thanks in large part to the efforts of Prinz Otto while he was working at the Ministry.”

“There is another matter which I must report to the Council. We believe that the Indians, along with the Turks, are working on improved musket designs. They will be much more dangerous if they achieve this goal and war with India breaks out.”

“I see. What do you propose that we do about it?”

“My Chancellor, I recommend that we prepare for an invasion of India.” There was a sudden silence, deepened by the fact that the Foreign Minister made no protest at this recommendation.

“Horst, usually you are the one advocating caution and restraint. What is your opinion about a potential invasion of India?”

“My Chancellor, I have always been a man of peace. It is true that I argued against the wars with Arabia, England, and now Carthage in Council. The Indians are a far greater threat to Germany than all these minor civilizations put together. I can assure you that our relations with India have not improved significantly since the end of the Indian War twenty five years ago. The Indians were willing to declare war on us, which is something no other nation has ever done. I am prepared to support a war with India if it comes to that.”

“What of the state visit of the Mahatma to Germany next year? Are we supposed to invite him here to discuss peace, and then declare war once he gets to Berlin?”

Everyone looked to the Military Minister for his reply. “My Chancellor, I would normally defer to Horst in diplomatic matters. I can say that we will have to wait until the Mahatma is back in India before declaring war, barring some extraordinary occurrence while he is here.”

“You are right about that, Karl.”, said the Foreign Minister. “It may also be prudent to see what the Mahatma has to say at the peace conference before taking any irrevocable actions. We can build up our forces in the meantime, to be ready for any hostile Indian actions.”

“Karl, how quickly can we invade India if it comes to that?”

Again there was a somber silence in the Council chambers. “My Chancellor, our forces now at Bangalore are not ready for an attack now. We will need some three or four years to get our troops in position. I can get orders to Bangalore in three days time, once the rail line from Berlin to Bangalore is complete. It would take at least a week to give such orders now.”

The Chancellor turned to his Domestic Minister at that. “Otto, how long will it take to complete the rail line to Bangalore?”

“My Chancellor, I see that the Military Minister has stolen my thunder, so to speak. We expect that it will take two years to complete the rail line to Bangalore. The link between Constantinople and Prinz von Persia has just been completed. We are also working on extending the line into the former Egyptian territories, and we expect the line to El-Amarna to be completed in two years time as well.”

“I see. I think it would be prudent to focus the railroad workers on the line to Bangalore. Are there any objections among the Council?” No one objected, so the Chancellor continued. “Very well. Proceed with your efforts, then.”

“There is another question I should ask, Otto. How would we explain an invasion of India to the German people?”

“My Chancellor, our surveys suggest that India is very unpopular with the German people, even a generation after the end of the Indian War. I doubt many in the Reichstag will complain if we were to launch an attack today. I must warn you and the Council that public opinion can change quickly if the war drags on or if we suffer significant casualties.”

“How long will we have to wage war with India if it comes to that?”

“It is difficult to say, my Chancellor. The previous war lasted for thirteen years, and much of that time we fought a defensive war. We will run into greater opposition at home if we attack India than if they attack us.”

The Military Minister spoke out at this. “That is quite true, to a point. It is of course dangerous to permit the Indians to attack us in order to gain greater public support for the ensuing war.” There was yet another ominous silence in the Council chambers at this.

“We had another good reason to end the war when we did. At the time, there were no roads available to Prinz von Persian, let alone Jaipur or Bangalore. We had great difficulties even getting troops and supplies in position. The situation now is quite different. The Indians have an extensive road network, similar to our own. We are in a position to attack their heartland cities now, when we could not do so in the previous war.”

The Chancellor frowned at this. “I suppose you are right, Karl. We must consider this carefully indeed. I suggest, Karl, that you continue the troop buildup. Do not make any hostile moves into India unless they attack. We will consider this question carefully after the peace conference next year.”

“Very well. I want all of you to begin preparations in your respective fields for an Indian invasion. Hopefully it will not be necessary, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Meeting adjourned.” All stood as the Chancellor left the Ministry Council meeting room.

July 10, 380 AD

General Hannibal, the despot of the Carthaginians, was in the Palace of the Golden Lion when his military advisor came into the throne room.

“General, I must report serious news. We have spotted many German horsemen approaching Carthage from the south. They will be atop the Eola Hills soon.”

“Have we tried to contact them?”

“Not yet, General. There are few here in Carthage who can speak their barbaric tongue, and they do not seem disposed to linger or to chat.”

Three days later, the German assault force was approaching Carthage when the chief aide to Marshall Dietrich approached his leader.

“Marshall, our scouts report a Carthaginian party approaching. Shall we destroy them?”

This is it. “Not yet, Johann. Are we within the effective radius of the Carthaginian Stone of Translation?”

“Yes, sir. I do speak a little of their language if it comes to that.”

“Very well. Allow them to approach, and have a squad standing by in case of trouble.”

Four Carthaginians approached, with heavy bronze armor and spears. Their apparent leader stepped forward. “I am Hannibal, leader of all the Carthaginians. Why are you in my lands without my leave?”

Marshall Rudolph Dietrich looked closely at the leader of the Carthaginians. “I should think our purpose is obvious, General Hannibal. We are here at the direct orders of Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck of Germany. It is my serious duty to demand your surrender.”

“Surrender! To your worthless and pathetic horsemen? I think not, German.”

“I expected as much from you, General. It is then my grave duty to say that your people and mine are now at war.”

“Then this shall be the first strike of the war!” The General raised his spear, and his three companions brandished their spears at the Marshall.

“We shall see, General.” The Marshall raised his hand, and nine musket shots rang out nearly simultaneously. The three companions of the General cried out and fell lifelessly to the ground.

“General, if you move your spear, you will suffer the same fate as your companions. It is the ancient custom of the German people to permit the safe return of an enemy leader after peace negotiations, even if they fail. That is the only reason why you still live. Now go back to your puny city and prepare to be destroyed!”

January 2, 390 AD

Chancellor Bismarck called the Ministry Council meeting to order. “I believe the Domestic Minister has an announcement, and then I would like to hear about the impending invasion of Carthage. Otto?”

The Domestic Minister, Otto von Spee, took the podium. “I am pleased to announce, my Chancellor, that the rail line between Berlin and Bangalore is scheduled to be completed on March 1st. The line to El-Amarna and Thebes should be finished by next summer.” The normally stolid Ministers broke out into smiles at this news.

“I am glad to hear that, Otto. I suppose there will be a ceremony when the line is completed.”

“Exactly, my Chancellor. We at the Domestic Ministry are working on that even now. I hope to have a draft plan for the final ceremony within the week.”

“Very well. I should like to hear from the Military Minister now. Karl?”

The Military Minister took the podium, and once again pulled down a previously prepared chart. “The 2nd Corps and five cavalry divisions are in place just south of Carthage. The assault is scheduled to begin on the 15th. Any units not needed for the assault will be sent east towards Bangalore. A team of settlers are headed north towards Carthage to rebuild the city.”

“Another question, Karl. What is the situation at Bangalore?”

“Units are arriving at a rapid pace, my Chancellor. At the moment we have some forty cavalry divisions, and 1st and 3rd Corps, in position. The new 4th Corps should arrive within the next ten days. I expect that number to grow rapidly as the veterans from the English and the Carthaginian wars arrive.”

“Have we seen any significant Indian troop movements?”

“My Chancellor, we continue to monitor small numbers of troops moving south within Indian territory. The Indians have established a colony city in Africa, just west of New Hamburg. We have not seen any ground soldiers from this city, though we do have patrols in the general area.”

“I see. Are there any questions before we discuss the potential state visit of the Indians?” The Cultural Minister, to the Chancellor's surprise raised his hand. “I am troubled by the reports that Marshall Dietrich's men fired on Hannibal's aides during the peace parley. Karl, would you mind explaining why this happened?”

“Certainly. Marshall Dietrich reported that the Carthaginians raised their spears threateningly, and so his men fired on them.” At the look of shock on the Cultural Minister's face, Karl continued, “I should point out that throwing spears are just as lethal as musket fire at close range. Hannibal himself was permitted to leave unharmed.”

The Foreign Minister spoke up at this. “Karl, I doubt that fine distinction will be appreciated by our enemies, or by other nations. This incident may do more harm to our reputation abroad than the actual invasion of Carthage.”

There was a somber silence at this, which was finally broken by the Chancellor. “I believe that the Marshall acted properly under the circumstances. We can point out that Hannibal himself was not killed, as he surely could have been had we been so inclined. I was about to ask you to report on the upcoming peace conference with the Indians in any event.”

“Of course, my Chancellor. We expect to host the state visit of the Mahatma sometime in late spring or early summer. The treaty is set to expire next July.”

“Do we know what the Indians proposal might be?”

“Not precisely, my Chancellor. We believe they are interested in continuing the peace, but we cannot absolutely confirm that. We do have one advantage, since we are hosting the conference. Germany will be expected to make the initial peace proposal.”

“What is the Foreign Ministry's recommendation?”

“My Chancellor, we recommend an indefinite peace treaty without a specific expiration date.”

“What happens if the Indians decline?”

“I suspect, my Chancellor, that the Indians will agree. The current Mahatma was not in power when the Indians attacked before. Yes, they did attack us, but that was nearly forty years ago now. I agree that the situation is potentially dangerous, but I do not believe it is likely that the Indians want war. However, I must warn you and the Council that if the Indians do not accept a peace treaty, a very tense situation will develop, which could quite easily deteriorate into open war.” The room seemed to chill as the import of the Foreign Minister's words sunk in.

Again the Chancellor was the first to break the silence. “That is precisely what I am concerned about. I remember that the Indians once chose to attack and invade Germany with little warning. I have no desire to see that repeated.”

This time the ominous silence was finally broken by the Military Minister. “My Chancellor, that is why we are building up our troops at Bangalore. We have contingency plans in the event the Indians choose to betray us again. It is dangerous for us to assume that the Mahatma is incapable of betrayal, given our previous history with India.”

The Chancellor stepped in. “I must agree with Karl about this. We will not launch an attack on India for now, but I do not trust the Indians as far as I can throw them. We must be prepared for war if the Indians are not willing to agree to a treaty or if they betray us again.”

This time the silence was broken by the Science Minister. “Horst, did you have anything else to report to the Council at this time?”

“No, Johann. Do you have something to add?”

“A small point. As you know, we at the Imperial Science Academy are working on improving the way in which we research scientific issues. We expect to hold a conference on Physics shortly, where we can gather scientists from all over the Empire to discuss recent advances. I wanted to bring this to your attention, so that you can monitor any foreign agents who may wish to attend and learn of Germany's scientific secrets.”

“I did not know of that, Johann. Perhaps you and I can discuss this further after the Council meeting is over.” The Science Minister nodded.

“Very well. Is there anything else before we adjourn?” No one spoke, and so the Chancellor continued, “Meeting adjourned, then.” Everyone stood as the Chancellor left the Ministry Council meeting room.

January 10, 390 AD

German Ambassador Hermann Erdhoven walked into the ornate throne room of the Great Palace in Samarkhand and bowed to the Sultan. “Good morning, Sultan Timur-Lenk. What can I do for you today?

“Thank you for coming so quickly, Ambassador. I have two brief matters to discuss with you. First, we must express our concerns about Germany's aggressive actions towards Carthage. It appears to me that Chancellor Bismarck is overreacting to the slight the Carthaginians gave Germany during the recent war against the Arabs.”

The second matter is, fortunately, a matter of lesser controversy. Our scouts have been diligently mapping the cold regions of Siberia for many years now. The good news, from Germany's perspective, is that we can now give you word of the fate of the 2nd Ironton knights, who were engaged in similar work on behalf of Germany.” The Sultan gave a nod to an aide, who handed the Ambassador a parcel of books and maps, clearly marked in the German language.

“Our forces recovered this after we successfully overran one of the barbarian camps which still infest the area. The logs and journals make no mention of the final fate of these valiant knights. It does not appear, unfortunately, that any of the knights survived the last battle. Our scholars have made little progress in deciphering the language of the barbarians, and so we must use force.”

“Sultan, that is something both our nations can agree upon. Germany has had similar difficulties with the pirates and barbarians in the North Sea. We have tried on numerous occasions to talk with the barbarians, but it has always been in vain. On behalf of Chancellor Bismarck, I gratefully accept your generous gift. It will be a comfort for our people to know the fate of the 2nd Ironton knights, who served the Empire with honor against the common foe of all civilized people.”

“As for your first point, Germany's actions against Carthage stem from her economic alliance with Arabia against Germany during wartime. The Chancellor believes, and the German people agree, that such actions are not acceptable. Please accept our assurances that none of this applies to our relations with Turkey. I am certain that the return of the logs and charts of the 2nd Ironton will only increase the goodwill the Chancellor and the German people have always had towards you and the Turkish people.”

“I am gratified to hear that, Ambassador.” Whatever the Sultan might have said was lost to history as the throne room doors opened and Vizier Jaffar came in. “Forgive the intrusion, O benevolent Sultan. The Military Advisor is just outside with news.”

The Ambassador bowed once more to the Sultan. “I suppose I should go. Thank you again for returning these logs to us.”

“It is my pleasure, Ambassador.” The Military Advisor came in as the Ambassador departed.

“So what news have you brought me?”

“O benevolent Sultan, our forces have overrun another barbarian camp, at the cost of two of our horsemen divisions in central Siberia. We have learned that this particular tribe of barbarians have also defeated three Indian divisions, judging from the materials we have recovered.”

“I should have asked the Ambassador to stay.”, mused the Sultan. “I am concerned by the sheer number of troops the Indians have sent into these unclaimed lands.”

“We think that the total number is leveling off, O Sultan. The Mahatma is concerned about a potential German attack. The relations between Germany and India have not improved significantly since the end of the Indo-German War nearly thirty years ago.”

The Sultan sighed in his throne. “That is all too true. That is the other reason the recent actions of the Chancellor concern me. He is removing smaller threats which surround his empire. What will happen once the Carthaginians fall and he is free to concentrate on India?”

“A very good question, O Sultan. We do have a recent report from an agent in Berlin. The Germans are very efficient at keeping their current military plans secret, but they are not so vigilant towards earlier efforts. They maintain archives and records of now vanished lands, such as the Arabs and the Persians. A careful study of these may give us vital clues as to the true capabilities of the Germans in battle. I should like to request, O prudent Sultan, that we attempt to obtain a copy of the German records of Carthage, once their military defeats them.”

The Sultan considered this. “That is a quite dangerous attempt, Vizier. The Germans will be furious if they discover our efforts to covertly obtain their records. I can easily forecast that the Chancellor would use the same logic against us as he has done against Arabia and Persia and lead his people into war.”

“I understand, O prudent Sultan. There is still much of the hidden knowledge of Espionage which we do not yet know. I believe the effort is worth the risk, however.”

“This will require further thought, Vizier. I am now glad that I did not ask the German Ambassador to stay.” The Sultan paused for a moment. “Do you have anything further to report?”

“Not at this time, O prudent Sultan.”

“The request you have made is difficult enough, Vizier. That will be all, then.”

“As you wish, O prudent Sultan.” The Vizier bowed in the courtly manner, and left the throne room.

February 1, 390 AD

Consul Hamilcar of the Carthaginian Despotate had finally been given an audience with the new Songhai leader, King Sunni Ali II. He walked through the massive doors of the Great Hall of the Songhai. Our only chance for survival is aid from the Songhai.

He bowed to the new Songhai leader. “Thank you, O gracious King, for permitting me audience this day. I have come a great distance from Carthage to seek your assistance against the hordes of German invaders who threaten the very existence of our small land.”

“In another time and place, I might well be disposed to assist the Carthaginians. I am concerned about the reaction of the Germans to such aid. We have no horses, and so it will take me quite some time to even send troops to assist you.”

“Your Majesty, even the announcement of such aid may be enough to convince the Germans not to continue their invasion of our peaceful people. There will soon be nothing left of Carthage unless you aid us!”

“Consul, this is what I was alluding to earlier. Your General Hannibal foolishly announced a trade embargo with Arabia against Germany, at a time when the Germans were at war with Arabia and had captured the Arabian capital in battle. Did you not consider that the German Chancellor would react poorly to such an action?”

The Consul struggled with his emotions. “I see now, Your Majesty, that the great Hannibal made a serious mistake in the past. We tried to reestablish proper relations with the Germans, but they refused to listen to us.”

“This is precisely what I was speaking of, Consul. Even if I were to announce today that the Songhai would assist you, either by a trade embargo or by military action, the Germans are already at the gates of Carthage. We cannot possibly get troops to you in time. Even worse, the Germans have already made their intentions in such matters clear. The same forces which threaten the Carthaginians would be turned against the innocent Songhai people if we were to go to war or engage in a trade embargo against the Germans.”

“All the more reason for our peoples to stand together, Your Majesty. The Germans have already conquered the Arabs and the Egyptians. There will soon be nothing to stop them from attacking the Songhai once Carthage is no more.”

“I have heard similar claims before, Consul. Queen Cleopatra herself said much the same thing to my father in this very room. I am not willing to plunge my people into a desperate war against the Germans at this time. I will tell you the same thing that my father told Queen Cleopatra. I can help you, but I cannot challenge the Germans directly at this time.”

For the first time Consul Hamilcar saw a ray of hope. “What did you have in mind, Your Majesty?”

“Two logical courses of action suggest themselves to me, Consul. First, has your General Hannibal contacted the Mahatma about this? The Mahatma will surely be sympathetic to your cause.”

“I am certain that he has tried, Your Majesty. I myself only heard yesterday of the German invasion, and the aviary pigeon which brought the message to me here in Timbuktu died this morning of its wounds.”

The King paused for a moment. “Then it appears the Germans are prepared for your leader's attempts to call for help. There is one other approach which I can attempt.” The King turned to his aide and said, “Send a runner to the German Embassy and ask the Ambassador to come to the Great Hall at once.”

“I hear and obey, O King.”, said the aide, as he quickly left the throne room. Seconds later the aide returned. “O King, the runner has been dispatched.” The King acknowledged the message with barely a nod.

“Consul Hamilcar, I will have a proposal of my own for the German Ambassador when he arrives. I will offer the aid of the Songhai in negotiating a peaceful resolution of the differences between Germany and Carthage. I will ask you to wait for the arrival of the Ambassador. It should not take very long.”

“That will not be enough, Your Majesty. However, we of the Carthaginians have nothing to lose by such an attempt. I will gladly wait as long as required in an attempt to aid my people.”

The German Ambassador Johann Schmidt arrived just over an hour later. The elderly Ambassador looked with some surprise at Consul Hamilcar before he bowed to the King in a polite fashion. “Good afternoon, Your Majesty. Your request for a meeting was rather timely. I would have requested a meeting in any event, due to an important message I have recently received.”

“I see. I had a proposal to make, but I think it would be prudent to hear your news first, Ambassador.”

“Of course, Your Majesty. I received a message from Marshall Dietrich, the commander of the German forces in Carthage. He reports that the...invasion of Carthage was successful. I regret very much to report to you that the city itself was destroyed by fire by its inhabitants to prevent its capture by Germany.”

The King was as agitated as the Ambassador had ever seen him. “Are you telling me that the Chancellor's men burned down Carthage?”

“No, Your Majesty. It appears the citizens of Carthage did so, as the citizens of Perseopolis did some thirty years ago in similar circumstances. To continue, I have also been informed that a new city will be built on the ruins of the old. It will be the policy of Imperial Germany to permit the remnants of the Carthaginian people to return there if they wish, providing they take an oath of loyalty to Imperial Germany.”

Consul Hamilcar stood in horrified silence as the Ambassador turned to him. “Consul Hamilcar, we have known each other for some dozen years. Please believe me when I tell you that I regret the destruction of Carthage.”

“I know, Johann. I appreciate your honesty in this difficult situation.” Consul Hamilcar then turned to the King and said with quiet dignity, “It seems my cause is lost, Your Majesty. I must tell the staff at the Consulate the sad news.”

“I understand, Consul.” The King paused for a moment. “You and the Consul staff are welcome to remain here in Timbuktu if you wish.”

“That is a most gracious offer, Your Majesty.” The Consul bowed to the King, and gave his German colleague a polite nod as he left the Great Hall.

“Your Majesty, may I ask what proposal you wished to make at this time?”

The King did not respond for several long seconds. “Forgive me, Ambassador. I suppose I may as well say that I had hoped to broker a peace agreement between Germany and Carthage. It seems that will not be required at this time.”

“I understand, Your Majesty. I am also instructed to tell you that relations between Germany and the Songhai have not changed at all from our point of view. Our forces remain under strict orders not to enter your territory without permission, and those orders have been obeyed, to the best of my knowledge.”

“A little time to consider will be in order, Ambassador. Thank you for coming in so quickly.”

“It is my pleasure, Your Majesty.”

Top Bottom