Blood and Iron: The Conquests of the Chancellor

March 1, 390 AD

A large crowd had gathered at the rail line at Promontory Hill near Prinz von Persien to witness the completion of the great Trans-Germanic Railroad. There had already been several lengthy speeches by various dignitaries before Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck himself turned to address the waiting crowd to conclude the day's ceremonies.

“You have already heard a good many speeches today, so I shall keep my remarks brief. " There was a wave of polite laughter through the crowd at the Chancellor's witticism. "Today is a day which will live in the hearts and minds of all of the German people! For too long we have been dependent upon horse and cart to get from place to place. Now, it is possible to take a train from Berlin and arrive in Bangalore a week later!”

“There is another purpose to this new rail line. The former lands of the Persians and the land we captured from the Indians are now joined forever to Imperial Germany by great bands of iron. The toil of many thousands of workers will yield a rich harvest, to the benefit of the entire German people!”

The Chancellor pulled at a previously prepared silken cord, which revealed a granite monument to the crowd. A plaque had already been installed, which read:

“On this 1st day of March, 390, the last rail was laid and the last spike was driven home. The driving of the golden spike completed the Trans-Germanic Railroad. This event symbolized the attainment of a long sought goal-a direct transportation route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Turkish trade. It also achieved the great political objective of binding together by iron bonds the extremities of the continental German Empire-a rail link from ocean to the Indian frontier.”

The Chancellor took the specially made golden spike and held it aloft, to the cheers and shouts of the crowd. He then handed the spike to the waiting Prinz Otto, who then carefully placed it in the partially drilled hole, took the waiting hammer and swung it against the spike. It took only two swings of the hammer for the Prinz to drive the spike home.

“It is done! The rail line is complete!”

April 14, 390 AD

Mahatma Rajiv Gandhi and his party approached the special train at the German frontier north of Bangalore. There had been an hour's delay while the train was readied for the long trip to Berlin and the upcoming peace conference with the German Chancellor.

Finally, the Mahatma heard the words he had been waiting for from his protocol officer. “O Mahatma, the special train is now ready.”

The Mahatma walked to the first of three wagons behind the gleaming German steam engine. The engine had been painted Imperial blue, with white trim and the outline of a stylized eagle on the coal car. A liveried porter saluted him and opened the door to the car.

“These will be your quarters, O Mahatma.”, said the porter in Hindi. “There will be two guardsmen at the other end of the car, and a small workspace.” He bowed politely to the Mahatma as he entered the car.

The Mahatma then turned to his Foreign Advisor once he and the Military Advisor were seated and the porter had left.. “Can we speak freely now?”

“Yes, O Mahatma. We are safe from interruption here. The only Germans aboard the train are in the engine and the rear car.”

“Excellent. What about the rest of the staff?”

“They will be in the second car, O Mahatma. We will stop in Jaipur to take on coal and water, and again at Prinz von Persien, Dacca, Antioch, and Constantinople, among other places.”

“So we travel nonstop to Berlin for the next week, other than these places you mentioned?” There was a loud whistle, startling the Mahatma, and the train slowly began to accelerate westward.

“By and large, yes. There may be brief stops along the way to clear the line, but we will not stop overnight until we arrive in Berlin. We are scheduled to arrive in eight days time.”

“So why did we leave so early? I thought the first official meeting of the conference would not take place until May 1st?”

“That is so, O Mahatma. We will have additional time to rest once we arrive in Berlin, and we can consult with Ambassador Kattas concerning the likely German peace proposals.”

“Indeed. It is a dangerous mission we undertake now. I am concerned about the Chancellor's continued appetite for conquest. The Germans are stronger now than they have ever been. My father was right about this a generation ago, just before the German War.”

The Military Advisor spoke for the first time. “We were able, O Mahatma, to stop the German advance without any outside help some twenty-six years ago. Our contacts in Turkey suggest they would be willing to consider an alliance with us in the event the Germans launch an unprovoked attack. We can stop the Germans again if need be.”

“What about your proposal to examine the German archives for clues as to their military strategy?”

“That is the other reason, O Mahatma, why I suggested we take the train to Berlin, rather than the traditional carriages. Ambassador Kattas may have additional information on that very point.”

The Foreign Advisor stepped in. “O Mahatma, I am less concerned with an immediate German attack than I am about this dangerous and foolish mission. The Germans will be furious if they learn of our efforts. The Turks may not be willing to help us in the ensuing war if we provoke the Germans into an attack.”

“Doing nothing is equally dangerous! It is true that we do not know all of the art of Espionage, but we do know enough to make a few inquiries. We have reliable reports that German security of their archived documents is far weaker than their current war plans.”

“Enough of this, both of you! We are stuck here in this car for the next week, and I do not want to hear this discussion for that entire time!”

“O Mahatma, all around you is the evidence proving the seriousness of the situation.” There was a sudden lurch as the train moved slightly to the left, and a second set of tracks were now visible to the right. “We are traveling through lands that were once Indian and are becoming more German every day.” The Military Advisor pointed out the window at the huge new barracks and quarters visible to the south as they approached Bangalore.

“The Germans are assembling a massive force here in Bangalore. We believe they have at least thirty to forty cavalry divisions here, and more are arriving rapidly. These troops will be a grave threat if the peace conference is not successful.”

The Mahatma was silent as he stared out the window, seeing not the well-kept military grounds but a vision of these same troops attacking and rampaging in his own cities. Will the Chancellor agree to peace, or will there be another great war?

April 20, 390 AD

Captain Franz Keikel, master of the German caravel Wotan's Spear, looked over the foredeck on his morning inspection tour. The ship and her crew had been sailing in these warm tropical seas for some time now, mapping the north coast of the great landmass they had named Australia.

“Captain! Barbarian ship off our starboard bow!”

So much for the peaceful exploration cruise I wanted. Captain Keikel took out his spyglass and considered his options. The enemy vessel stood between the caravel and open water to the east. He could turn tail and retreat west, and try to find a way to evade the enemy.

No. There may be more barbarians in the inshore waters. We will have to fight our way through. “Helm! Ten points to starboard! Load the cannons! All archers to the forecastle!”

The crew of the Wotan's Spear sprang to life to ready the ship for the impending battle. Soon all aboard the German exploration ship could see the infamous black flag of the barbarians. No quarter given, none to be expected. This will be a battle to the death.

The lookout sang out again as the German caravel closed the distance to the enemy galley. “Captain! Two more barbarian ships, portside aft!”

I knew those worthless barbarians were up to something. “Keep watch on the ships aft. Helm, stand by for full port rudder!”

“Standing by, Captain!”

The enemy galley forward had approached to within 400 meters when Captain Keikel made his move. “Helm! Full port rudder! Stand by on starboard cannons!”

“Full port rudder, aye!” The helmsman spun the great wheel as the German caravel began to turn.

“Fire starboard cannons!”

Six cannons newly installed along the starboard side fired at nearly the same moment. Clouds of smoke formed, accompanied by the thunder of the German caravel's broadside. The smoke slowly cleared, revealing the damage to the other galley.

The yardarm at the bottom of the galley's mast had broken, and the mainsail hung loosely on that side. Two more cannon shots had struck near the waterline, and the captain could see the crew scrambling to stem the flooding as the Wotan's Spear passed by her just out of arrow range.

“Helm! Reverse rudder! Return to base course!”

“Aye, Captain!”

“What now, Captain?”, asked Gunter, the first mate.

Captain Keikel did not reply for a moment. “Our mission is to explore these seas, not to battle and sink every barbarian we can. I see no reason to risk this ship and her crew to fight three barbarian galleys at once if we do not have to.”

The first mate did not seem convinced, but wisely held his peace for the moment. “Besides, Gunter, it is not likely that we will have much commerce in these remote seas for many years to come. The Indians are in a better position to settle them than we are.”

“So?”

“So, that is why the Navy Department ordered us to chart and report, rather than sending an armada of galleons to wipe out these barbarians. We will proceed east and establish a navigational route to the New World colonies.” The captain took a final look aft through his spyglass, and realized the pursuing pair of galleys had stopped to aid their damaged sister ship. “We will let the Indians lose men and ships in these waters, if they want these remote islands so badly.”

April 27, 390 AD

Chancellor Konrad von Bismarck and his Indian counterpart, Mahatma Rajiv Gandhi had met in the Memorial Plaza in Berlin. The sun was just beginning to set over the western horizon as two half-squads of soldiers, one German, one Indian, watched over their respective leaders and deterred any curious onlookers from approaching.

“Thank you for agreeing to this informal meeting, Mahatma.”

“The pleasure is mine, Chancellor. We are always ready to learn from the mistakes of the past and speak of peace for the future.”

I wonder how you would react if you knew that the Military Minister has said much the same thing about planning for the next war. Aloud the Chancellor replied, “Imperial Germany is equally ready to discuss peace seriously. One reason is preserved in stone and marble all about us.”

The Mahatma frowned, suspecting some veiled German insult. “I fear I do not follow you, Chancellor.”

“I asked for a meeting here in the Memorial Plaza for a reason. Each of the various statues you see is a reminder of a previous war waged by Germany. That one, for example, is the monument to the fallen in the Spanish Conquest. The statute on the other side of the Plaza is the memorial to the fallen knights of the Egyptian War. Finally, this is the monument to the casualties of the Indian War.”

The Mahatma looked up at the indicated statue. He saw a double-life size statute of a mounted German knight, with a scale-sized lance held in battle position before him. “I still do not quite understand, Chancellor. It looks like this is a reminder of German might in its numerous wars.”

“That is true to a point, Mahatma. For me the Memorial Plaza is also a reminder of something else. As leaders of great nations, our actions have consequences. Ten entire divisions of German knights never returned home after the Indian War. Our overall casualties were even higher. I would prefer not to be remembered as the Chancellor who led our people into another war with the Indians without good reason.”

“My people are not anxious for a return to the terrible conditions of the German War. Many in the Reichstag have expressed other views publicly, Chancellor. There remains much bad blood and ill will between our nations.”

“It is all too true. It is easy for hotheads in the Reichstag to suggest alternative courses of action when they bear no responsibility for its success or failure. We must either attempt to work on easing tensions or sooner or later another war will occur.”

The Mahtma was startled to hear his own unspoken thoughts echoed in the Chancellor's words. “This is all well and good, Chancellor. What of the forces massing at Bangalore? Assembling a potential invasion force is not what I would call a friendly action.”

“These forces are in place to prevent additional problems, Mahatma. There are many in Germany who recall that your father once declared war on Germany. We must make certain that we are prepared if that should occur again.”

“My father had an unfortunate policy of sending ground troops through your lands in order to attack the northern barbaians. I hope your generals have accurately reported that no such ground troops have entered German lands in a very long time.”

“That is also quite true, to a point. I recall that two of your caravels entered German waters some years ago, and landed settlers in Africa.”

“So? The former lands of the Egyptians are unoccupied, and we have as much right to settle them peaceably as any other nation.”

“A sentiment which is not shared by the German people, Mahatma. They view a new Indian city in Africa as a dangerous development. That has prevented any real easing of tensions.”

“I have no intention of giving up our city in Africa, Chancellor, any more than you intend to free the Indian cities captured during the previous war. I am willing to discuss a permanent peace treaty, but I will not agree to unreasonable restrictions on the expansion of our nations.”

The Chancellor held back his initial thoughts with an effort. “I do have a plan for the peace treaty. This is the second reason why I asked for a meeting now, before the formal sessions begin on Monday. I propose that we set up a treaty with an indefinite duration, so that we do not have to go through these negotiations every seven or ten years.”

There was a long pause while the Mahatma considered his reply. “There are a number of details which must be considered. I believe the basic concept is sound, however, and a permanent peace treaty will be acceptable to me and the Indian people.”

“I am pleased to hear that, Mahatma. I am certain our respective staffs can work out the appropriate details by the beginning of the session.” The Chancellor extended his hand, and the Mahatma took it.

“Then there shall be peace between our peoples, Chancellor.”

January 3, 400 AD

Chancellor Bismarck called the meeting of the Ministry Council to order. “I believe the Military Minister has a report to make. Karl?”

The Military Minister took the podium once again. “My Chancellor, we continue to build up our forces at Bangalore. We expect the 2nd Corps to arrive within the next two months, despite the lack of proper roads, let alone rails, between El-Amarna and the former city of Carthage. We currently have some sixty cavalry divisions in place in Bangalore, together with the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Corps.”

The Foreign Minister stepped in at this. “What do you expect to do with all these troops now, Karl? The peace treaty has been signed with the Indians.”

“So it has, Horst. There is an Indian proverb which is appropriate to this situation. 'The leopard does not change its spots.' I find it difficult to believe that the Indians are trustworthy given our past history with them.”

“Karl, Germany's reputation abroad might never truly recover if we simply charge into India now, even if we had a hundred divisions available for the attack.”

The Chancellor stepped in. “Enough. Horst, you have made your point. I have another question, however. Karl, assuming for the moment that we elect not to attack India, what do you propose we do with this huge assembly of troops?”

“My Chancellor, I believe that war with India will one day be inevitable. I would prefer to see Germany strike when we are strong before the Indians gain the knowledge of improved muskets. However, to answer your question, we may wish to consider an attack upon the Songhai instead.”

The Foreign Minister recovered first from the shocked silence in the Council chamber. “What?!? Karl, are you seriously suggesting that we attack the Songhai? What on earth for?”

The Military Minister did not back down. “Horst, it is true that the Songhai have a large empire. However, their science lags behind the other great powers of the world. Our cavalry troops would face impi warriors with sharpened spears only. We should be able to conquer their country within three or four years, if we make the proper preparations.”

The Chancellor, to the Foreign Minister's surprise, seemed to seriously consider the idea. “Exactly how would you go about preparing such an assault, Karl?”

“My Chancellor, the road system of the Songhai is rather primitive. I propose that we send a few teams of workers into Songhai territory to improve them. Essentially, we can then build an invasion route, and quickly expand our rail network as our troops advance.”

“Karl, we cannot simply sign a right of passage with the Songhai, only to charge in with cavalry troops a few years later. The rest of the world would unite in outrage against us after such a betrayal.”

“That is no doubt true, Horst. I suggest that we send in one or two teams in alone, without a right of passage in place.”

“And when King Sunni Ali II asks us to get our troops out of his country?”

“We simply have the Songhai Ambassador point out that these are workers, not troops. We further have the troops build a rail line connecting some of their border cities to the heartland of the Songhai kingdom. We point out that these workers are building roads and rails to improve trade within the kingdom, at no cost to the Songhai.”

The Foreign Minister stopped for a moment. “In a strange way, Karl, I almost admire such a daring strategy. It might deceive the Songhai long enough to succeed. However, even if this idea succeeds in deceiving the Songhai about our motives, what possible justification could we use to launch an attack?”

“The Songhai are increasingly unhappy with our previous efforts against Arabia and Carthage. There are reports of rising tensions along the borders with the former Egyptian territories as well. It will take years to build the proper roads. Now that we have a rail line to Bangalore, we can send the troops there to the Songhai border within two years time.”

“What do we gain by war with the Songhai, Karl? We have all the coal, iron, horses, and saltpeter that we require for the Empire. The Songhai are not sponsoring the barbarian armada in the Mediterranean Sea or off the Atlantic coast. This will be a major war against a large and well-armed foe.”

“With due respect, Horst, I am familiar with the relative capabilities of our forces and the potential Songhai defenders. The Indians are a more dangerous foe, and I am confident that we can defeat them in war if we choose to attack. The Songhai are not prepared to defend against fast-moving cavalry units. We were able to conquer the Egyptians with knights, since we had no cavalry available, and we have twice the numbers now than we did at the start of the Egyptian War.”

“That still leaves my original question, Karl. What does the German Empire gain, even if we conquer the Songhai completely?”

“We remove a potential future threat. We may also be able to get access to the gold mines of the Songhai.”

“Karl, we could simply trade other resources to the Songhai, such as wines or incense, if we need gold that badly. We need not risk the life of a single soldier in the process, and we need not damage our reputation with the rest of the world.”

The Chancellor finally stepped in. “Enough, both of you! Karl, I think it is premature to attack the Songhai now. However, I think it is prudent to make preparations for a future attack. You may continue your contingency planning, and build rail lines on our side of the border. I do not want any German units to stray into Songhai territory without the express permission of the Council.”

“I understand, my Chancellor. I agree that we are not yet ready for an attack on the Songhai. I believe the Indians are a greater threat in any event. We shall build the necessary rail lines on our side of the border and continue with the contingency planning.”

“Very well. I would like to hear from the Domestic Minister now. Otto?”

The Domestic Minister, Otto von Spee, now took the platform. “My Chancellor, I am pleased to report that the Imperial Railways track crews continue to make rapid progress. We should complete the rail line to Thebes by late fall, and the line to El-Amarna will be complete by early next year. I have received the reports from the surveyors in the former Carthaginian lands, and the grading of the new line is well underway.”

“Excellent. I wanted to inqure about another point. How are our people reacting to the peace agreement with the Indians?”

“The people are very supportive of you, my Chancellor. The public opinion of India remains at very low levels, however. I expect that it will take generations to restore relations to anything like the level that once existed before the Indian War. It would not take much to provoke a new war with India.”

“And the Songhai?”

“My Chancellor, the people have no real quarrel with the Songhai at this time. An attack on the Songhai will not be well received at this time. I would prefer to do some additional polling to obtain more precise figures for you and the Council.”

“That is what I had expected, Otto. Please continue with your research efforts.”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.”

“Is there anything else before we adjourn?" The Science Minister raised his hand. "My Chancellor, I am pleased to report that we at the Imperial Science Academy are making progress towards developing a systematic method of research. We expect to reach a proper level within the next year or so."

"That is good news, Johann. Please continue your efforts."

"It shall be done, my Chancellor."

The Chancellor looked around the room for any further inquiries. Seeing none, he added, "Meeting adjourned." All stood as the Chancellor left the Ministry meeting room.

January 19, 400 AD

Military Minister Karl von Clauswitz was working late in his office at the Military Ministry when his chief aide knocked on his door. “Come in!”

“Minister, the Domestic and Foreign Ministers are here. They say they have an important message for you.”

Now what? “All right, Franz. Show them in, and then call it a day. I will see you in the morning.”

“Yes, Minister.” Franz left at once as the two Ministers entered.

“Good evening, gentlemen. What can I do for you?”

The Domestic Minister spoke first. “I am sorry to disturb you, Karl, but I saw the light in your office window and thought you must still be here. I have completed the preliminary survey of our people's attitudes towards the Songhai as the Chancellor requested.”

I think I see where this is headed. “Let me guess, Otto. Our people are somewhat distrusting of the Songhai, but see no basis for an active quarrel, let alone war.”

“I would have put that in more elegant terms, Karl, but you have the essentials. Our people are simply not prepared for war with the Songhai. You are the expert on waging war, but I can tell you that we do not have the popular support for a sustained war against the Songhai that we did against Egypt.”

“That is actually not particularly surprising. I think one day we will have to wage war against the Songhai, but that day is not today. I am here at this hour to evaluate how we would go about such an attack. We can get troops to a staging point at El-Amarna quickly once the rail line there is finished next year, but the roads in the northern deserts of Songhai range from primitive to nonexistent. It will take us years to build proper roads and rails.”

The Foreign Minister looked relieved at this. “I am very glad to hear that, Karl. World opinion might not be affected that badly by an attack on India, but an attack on the Songhai is quite another matter.”

“So you said in Council, Horst. I do not expect that an attack upon the Songhai will happen for at least several years. I intended to brief the Chancellor to that effect tomorrow.”

“That is the other reason why we came here tonight. We would like to brief the Chancellor on Otto's findings at the same time.”

Whatever the Military Minister might have said was interrupted by a knock on the door. This had better be good! “Come in!”

The newest intern at the Ministry came in, and was startled to realize that the Domestic and Foreign Ministers were already there. “Uh, err, forgive me, Minister, I mean Ministers.”

“Yes, Alberich. What is it?”

“You asked me to put the rest of the Carthaginian materials in the archive room and then go on home. It looks like some of these files are missing.”

“Missing? I expect that they were simply misfiled. I will come with you and see for myself.”

“May we come with you?”, asked the Foreign Minister.

“By all means, Horst.” The group headed downstairs, through an iron door to the basement, and descended a set of steep stairs, with a second iron door at the bottom, which was already open. “Alberich, you are supposed to keep this door locked.”

“Yes, Minister.”

Karl walked to the third shelf on the right. “Here it is, Alberich. You had me rather concerned for a moment there.”

“I..am sorry, Minister. I thought it was the third shelf on the left.”

“All right. It is late. I will see you tomorrow. I will lock up the archive room myself.”

“Thank you, Minister.” Alberich quickly left the archive room.

“I believe you mentioned, Horst, that you wished to brief the Chancellor tomorrow morning, and you wanted all three of us there. Is there anything else you wished to discuss?”

The Foreign Minister was looking at Karl with a puzzled expression. “Karl, your aide said he thought the Carthaginian materials were on the left?”

“He did. So?”

“It looks like someone has been examining the Arabian archives recently. Look at the dust at the surrounding materials, and compare it with the dust on this box.”

Karl felt an ominous chill as he examined the box in question. The rest of the files had a good deal of dust on them, showing that they had not been touched in years. The first of the Arabian files had clearly been opened recently.

“How odd. There is very little of immediate value in these boxes. I will have to check into the matter tomorrow.”

“That is the other reason why I accompanied Otto to meet you tonight. I have just received a report that the Turks are attempting to obtain access to our archived material.”

“I see. Do we have any specifics about this?”

“Not yet, Karl. I wanted to inform you at once, so you can take proper precautions.”

“I think I had best question Alberich myself, before our meeting to brief the Chancellor tomorrow. We will speak further of this tomorrow.”

June 1, 400 AD

A large crowd had gathered at the town square of Imperial Germany's newest city for the formal dedication ceremonies. There had been several dignitaries who had given lengthy speeches, and an address from the new governor, but most in the crowd were waiting to hear from their great leader.

Chancellor Bismarck walked out to the new podium, to the cheers and shouts of the waiting crowd. “Today it is my great privilege to perform one of the most pleasant duties of the Chancellorship. We dedicate the newest city in the German Empire after one of its adopted heroes, Shiek Abu el-Sadim.”

“Others have spoken in detail of his heroism and his final end as he tried to negotiate a settlement in the Arabian War. I will instead speak of the man as I knew him. I first met him long ago, during the dark days of the Indian War, when he came to Berlin at my invitation as the leader of the Arabian people. We spoke of many things of benefit to both our peoples, and it was at the conclusion of the initial agreement that he provided me with these.” The Chancellor waved two old and fraying logbooks before the crowd.

“It was then that I learned that the Wotan's Spear, the exploration galley my father had commissioned to chart the mysterious continent of Africa, had survived its journey and was now nearing civilized territory once more. Shiek Sadim was subsequently overthrown in a coup with the help and connivance of Queen Cleopatra of Egypt, and I did not see him again for quite some time.”

“I next met him when he and the gallant crew of the Wotan's Spear returned in triumph to Berlin. It is in no small part due to the Shiek's wisdom and courage that the ship and her crew made it back to Germany at all. He and his aide Hassan earned their pensions due to their exemplary conduct.”

“Some years later, I had occasion to consider Germany's options towards Arabia. We knew that the usurper Sheik Abu Bakr had grown hostile to Germany, and I sought Shiek Sadim's counsel. I even offered him the chance to become governor of Mecca once our forces had captured it. I am proud to say that Shiek Sadim was more concerned about the fate of his former countrymen than for his own personal power and glory.”

“Shiek Sadim by then was an old man. No one would have blamed him for wanting to settle down and live out his final years in peace and comfort. Instead, he willingly chose to accompany our forces in the liberation of Arabia from the usurper Shiek Abu Bakr. His last actions and his ultimate sacrifice were made in an attempt to save the lives of others.

“It is thus my happy privilege to formally dedicate this city in his memory.” A wave of cheers and shouts surged through the crowd as the Chancellor formally took an oversized pair of scissors handed him by an aide and cut the ribbon, signaling the completion of the formal dedication ceremony.

Not everyone would be as pleased, however...

December 9, 400 AD

Two men approached the front desk of the Imperial Military Ministry headquarters in Berlin. Both men were dressed as maintenance workers. One was carrying a toolbox, and the other a leather satchel.

“Can I help you?”, asked the desk clerk.

The first man spoke. “Yes. We are from Building Maintenance.” He handed over a somewhat grimy work order.

“All right.” The clerk at the desk stamped the work order. “Do you know the way?”

“Yes.” Both men took up their respective burdens and headed deeper into the building. They glanced back only once, to make certain they were now out of earshot and unobserved, and then made their downstairs way to the archives.

“That went more easily than I had expected.”

“Naturally. I told you that contacting the Embassy was a smart move. We may not have much time. You stay here by the door while I go inside.”

The first worker nodded, and took out his toolbox as if he was repairing or adjusting the door to the archive room as his partner went inside. There were numerous racks of dusty and decaying files, and it took some time to find the Carthaginian files. Satisfied, he opened the first box and stuffed them into his satchel, and then made his way outside.

“Did you get the files?”

“All I can carry. We will come back next Monday to return these and go back for more.”

“Why on Monday?”

“The archivists have a staff meeting on Monday mornings. This is the only time we can come down here without anyone noticing.”

“That makes sense.”, said his companion as they both walked out of the building without drawing so much as a second look from anyone else. I will have my revenge on those who destroyed Medina and enslaved my people!

“So we meet at the same time next week.”

“Yes. Here is your advance.” A small bag of gold coins changed hands.

“A pleasure doing business with you, Herr Baker.”

December 16, 400 AD

Herr Baker and his associate approached the front desk of the Military Ministry headquarters in Berlin just before nine a.m. Both men were once again dressed as maintenance workers.

“Can I help you?”, asked the desk clerk. It was a different clerk than the man on duty last week.

Herr Baker spoke in a bored tone. “Yes. We are from Building Maintenance.” He handed over a somewhat grimy work order.

“All right.” The clerk at the desk stamped the work order. “Do you know the way?”

“Yes.” Both men took up their respective burdens and made their way downstairs to the archives vault one more. Herr Baker stopped for a moment when he heard a muffled cough from behind the archive vault door. Someone is there, waiting for us!

The two men began to retreat back up the stairs as the vault door opened from the other side. “Halt!” cried a commanding voice from downstairs. They ran through the upper door and back out through the lobby, with the Imperial Guardsmen waiting in the archive room in hot pursuit.

Prinz Otto arrived at the GrosGunter bell tower some thirty minutes ahead of schedule. He felt the chill of the early winter morning even through his expensive fur-lined coat. The electrification project for the massive GrosGunter bell tower had finished slightly ahead of schedule, and so Prinz Otto had been asked to lead the rededication ceremony. I suppose this is why Father did not want to come here himself to officially rededicate the tower. It must be ten degrees out here.

Colonel Wilhelm Tell was already there. “Good morning, Prinz Otto.”

“Good morning, Colonel.” The Prinz's attention was diverted by two men running rapidly towards the tower. He realized something was wrong when he saw three Imperial Guardsmen, muskets at the ready, chasing them. “What is that?”

Colonel Tell turned around to see what was happening. He saw two men with muskets drawn being chased by three Imperial Guardsmen. One of the two men stopped for a moment, and brought his gun to bear on the Prinz. The Colonel gave no thought to his own safety as he physically pushed the Prinz to the ground as the would-be assassin fired.

“#$!” Three more shots followed as the initial gunman crumpled to the pavement from the shots of the pursuing Guardsmen. The second man rushed into the open door of the clock tower.

Colonel Tell leaped to his feet and raced to the fallen gunman as the pursuers arrived. “Report!”

“This is one of the two spies who tried to steal documents from the Military Ministry.”

The Colonel realized the gunman was already dead. “Come with me.” By now the chief architect of the restoration project had arrived at the door to the clock tower. “Is there another entrance to the tower itself?”

“No, sir!”

Colonel Tell took stock of the situation. “I want two men on this door. No one else gets through that door.” He took the other Guardsman and entered the tower building, hearing the guards he had posted slam the door shut.

There was a spiraling staircase that wound its way around the inside walls of the clock tower. The footsteps of the last gunman could be heard running from far above.

“There is no way out of here! You have no chance at all to escape.”

A shouted curse and a musket shot was the Colonel's only reply. “Run! He will need time to reload!” They heard their quarry slam a door upstairs as the two Guardsmen rushed upwards. The halted at the upper door.

Muskets in hand, the two Guardsmen cautiously opened the door and looked inside. The room was filled with massive gears and counterweights for the intricate mechanism of the GrosGunter clock. They could see a single ladder at the far end, with a trap door above. There was an small open space in the roof for the main guide rods of the bell to pass through.

The other Guardsman whispered, “Sir, the clock! It is almost nine!” Colonel Tell saw a huge cog, as large as a good sized desk, fall into place.

“Cover your ears and hit the deck!”

The nine thousand kilogram GrosGunter bell, which could easily be heard from ten klicks away, sounded the first peal. WHOONNGGG! WHOONNGGG! The whole structure of the tower shook as the bell continued to sound. The Guardsmen dared not stand until the bell was silenced.

Colonel Tell leaped to his feet as the last peal sounded, shaking his head to clear the ringing noise. He cautiously climbed the ladder, ready to move the door aside to confront the spy. “Sir! The spy must have dropped this!” The other Guardsman held up a battered musket.

At least the @#$ will not shoot me thought the Colonel as he climbed through the opening. Four huge clock faces formed the sides of the bell chamber, with the massive bell itself in the center. A series of smaller bells hung in the roof above. A throwing knife whistled past him, missing his head by centimeters. The Colonel heard scrambling on the other side of the bell chamber as he hauled himself through the trap door and went around the side of the bell to corner the spy.

“Stop! Put your hands up, spy!”

The spy, knife in hand, looked at the Colonel, now holding him at musket point. “Die, you @#!” The throwing knife flew through the air as the Colonel fired from four meters away. The spy clutched his chest, and then fell against the north face of the clock. The lead glass held for a moment, and then gave way as the body crashed through to fall nearly a hundred meters to the stone pavement far below.

Colonel Tell held his injured shoulder where the spy's knife had nicked him as he looked out through the gaping hole in the clock face. Now we may never know who this @#$ was working for!

December 17, 400 AD

The Military Minister arrived at the meeting room a few minutes early for the special meeting of the Military Council. Most of the Ministers were already there. Colonel Tell, with his bandaged shoulder, was in his usual place guarding the door. “May I have a word, Colonel?”

“Certainly, Minister.”

“Colonel, I want you to give a brief report to the Chancellor and the assembled Ministers about what happened yesterday morning.”

A brief look of alarm flashed over the Colonel's features. “Minister, I have already given a full report to the Chancellor himself.”

“I know, Colonel. However, the Ministers will want to hear from you directly.” The Minister decided the direct approach was the best. “Do you have a problem with that?”

“No, Minister. It shall be done.”

“Thank you, Colonel. I should perhaps mention that you will likely be promoted to General and receive another Iron Cross shortly.”

“I am proud to have done my duty for the Chancellor and the Empire.”

A gong sounded from just outside as Chancellor Bismarck entered. He quickly called the meeting to order. “I will ask the Military Minister to report on the assassination attempt on the Prinz and the incident in the clock tower. Karl?”

The Military Minister took the podium. “My Chancellor, it might be simplest for Colonel Tell to explain his actions yesterday morning.” The Colonel stood at attention at his guard post at the door to the Council meeting room, and walked nervously to the podium at the Chancellor's nod.

I would rather chase an armed spy into the GrosGunter clock tower again thought the Colonel as the Military Minister stepped aside for a moment. It took only a few minutes to repeat the story of the attempted assassination and the chase through the GrosGunter clock tower.

“You have done very well indeed, Colonel. It is a pity that the second spy could not be captured alive.” The Chancellor paused for a moment. “You will receive a proper reward for your heroism shortly. Let us hear from the Military Minister now."

Karl von Clauswitz took the podium once more as the Colonel returned to his usual guard post with relief. “My Chancellor, it appears that the would-assassin was one Abdul Bakr. He was an Arabian national and apparently a relative of Sheik Bakr. His partner, whom we have not yet identified, had archived documents in his possession relating to the recent conquest of the Carthaginians. I believe that he was in fact an Indian agent, but we cannot conclusively prove that at this time.”

The Chancellor was as angry as the Council Ministers had ever seen him. “So what do the Indians have to say for themselves on this subject?”

“My Chancellor, we are still investigating, and have not yet demanded a formal explanation from the Indians. Again, we have no definitive evidence that the Indians were behind this.”

The Chancellor spoke in a quiet tone. “Minister, let me put this another way. Do we have any proof that this is NOT an Indian plot?”

“My Chancellor, it is proverbially impossible to prove a negative. We are of course working on the matter. Investigators have gone through the deceased spy's apartment quite thoroughly. He hid his secret well, if he indeed was an Indian agent.”

“Another question, then. What do the German people think about this?”

The nervous Domestic Minister hesitated a moment for replying. “My Chancellor, the anger of the common German man on the street has set new records in our preliminary polling. The German people would support almost anything, even war with India.”

“I am pleased to see that the German people still retain a sense of honor, despite this evil action of the Mahatma.” The Chancellor now turned back to the Military Minister. “How soon could our forces be ready for an attack into India?”

The Council meeting room was eerily silent as the Military Minister replied. “My Chancellor, we have a very large force of more than eighty divisions stationed at Bangalore. We could attack India within ten days, now that the rail line to Bangalore is complete.”

“We may do just that, Karl. I call for a formal vote of the Council authorizing an attack on India.”

The Cultural Minister raised his hand. “My Chancellor, it would be better to have definitive proof of India's actions before we start a war. I believe I am correct that a telegraphed order could be sent from here to Bangalore in a matter of a few hours.”

“That is so, Minister”, replied the Domestic Minister.

“Then may I suggest that we make preparations for the attack, but do not actually invade Indian territory until January 2nd. That gives us time to complete our investigation, and to obtain a response from the Indians about this.”

The Military Minister spoke up at this. “My Chancellor and fellow Ministers, there is another matter. The Indians have been continuously hostile to Germany for decades. We had difficulties during the first Indian War due to lack of proper roads and supply lines to the advancing battle front, and we had only a small fraction of the forces then than we have now. The new rail line to Bangalore means that we can send reinforcements in a matter of days instead of months or even years.”

“Karl, that is exactly the point.”, said the Chancellor. “The German people are angered at the Indians now, more than ever before. We will not get a better opportunity to attack India. That is why I am serious about preparing for a German invasion of India. I suppose it does no real harm to make our preparations, and to discuss the situation with the Indian Ambassador.”

“A wise precaution, my Chancellor. I shall send orders to our forces to prepare to attack India, but to take no offensive actions until a telegraphed order to invade is received.”

“Very well. I will now call for a formal vote of the Council. All in favor of an attack on India?” Everyone raised their hands, though the Domestic Minister and the Foreign Minister did so with obvious reluctance. “Motion approved. Karl, issue orders to prepare for the attack. Make certain that no offensive action is taken without a final telegraphed order.”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.” There was a sudden knock at the Council door, startling many of the assembled Ministers. Colonel Wilhelm Tell, standing guard as if nothing was amiss, opened the door and spoke briefly with someone on the other side.

“My Chancellor, the Indian Ambassador has arrived. He appears agitated, and requests an immediate audience.”

“Then he shall have one. Have the Ambassador meet us here.”

“My Chancellor?”

“You heard me, Colonel. Send the Ambassador down here at once.”

“It shall be done, my Chancellor.”

December 17, 400

Colonel Wilhelm Tell quickly returned with Indian Ambassador Rajiv Kattas. “My Chancellor, the Ambassador to India.”

The Indian Ambassador was surprised to see not only the Chancellor, but the assembled Ministers in session. “My apologies, Chancellor. I did not know you were otherwise engaged.”

The Chancellor replied, “Ambassador, I asked you here for a reason. The Council has been discussing the assassination attempt yesterday morning.”

“I was most disheartened to hear that a deranged man attempted to murder Prinz Otto yesterday. I came here as soon as I heard the news to express the Mahatma's sympathies in this matter.”

“Indeed.” The Chancellor's voice was cold and grave, even for him. “Perhaps you can explain why one of the would-be assassins was caught with documents from the Imperial Military Ministry in his possession?”

The surprise and shock on the Ambassador's face did little to lessen the tension in the room. “I had not heard of this, Chancellor. The Indian Republic gains nothing by such foolishness, or by attempting the life of the Prinz.”

“Ambassador, I am not the only one you must convince of India's innocence. The German people are most displeased and distressed at this time. It would take very little additional provocation to create a most...unfortunate situation.”

“Surely, Chancellor, you do not believe that the Mahatma is behind this evil action?” An impartial observer looking around the Ministry Council table would certainly conclude that the Council believed precisely that.

“We are continuing to investigate this matter thoroughly, Ambassador. I can assure you that we will respond forcefully when we determine who is responsible.” The room grew colder still at the Chancellor's blunt words.

“Our people had nothing to do with this!”

“So you say. It is difficult enough for me to believe that someone attempted to assassinate the Prinz. I find it impossible to believe that these men stole documents from the Military Ministry as well without outside assistance. Who, if not India, is behind such a plot?”

“I swear, Chancellor, I do not know. I know nothing about any of this other than what I have said.”

“Then I suggest, Ambassador, that you help us discover who is behind this plot. I shall detain you no further.”

“Thank you, Chancellor, for receiving me on such short notice. Please, accept my assurance on the Mahatma's behalf that the Republic is not responsible for this terrible act.”

“We shall take it under advisement, Ambassador. Good day.” The Ambassador bowed politely, and then left the Council meeting room.

“Before we adjourn, may I ask if anyone here at this table actually believes the Ambassador that the Indians are innocent.” There was a long silence, finally broken by the Foreign Minister.

“My Chancellor, it is possible that the Indians are in fact innocent. The issue of the stolen documents is troubling, but we certainly have no proof that the spies intended at the outset to assassinate the Prinz or that they received Indian support.”

“Horst, who else would do such a thing? I cannot believe that Sultan Timur-Lenk would cast aside the historic friendship between Turkey and Germany to attempt something like this. King Sunni Ali II has other things to do than needlessly provoke us into war.”

“My Chancellor, someone is responsible for this. We will have an easier time waging war if we can definitely prove it to the German people.” Even the Military Minister nodded at this logic.

“Horst is right, my Chancellor. I personally have no doubt the Indians are responsible, even if we cannot prove it to everyone's satisfaction.”

“Very well. You will have two weeks to investigate. I want the warning orders for our troops sent out immediately, and I want preparations made for an invasion of India.” The Chancellor paused for a moment. “I want to see the Prinz and the Military Minister in my office in one hour. Meeting adjourned.” Everyone stood as the Chancellor left the meeting room.

December 23, 400 AD

A gentle rain was falling in Berlin as Prinz Otto von Bismarck and Foreign Minister Horst von Steinberg approached the Turkish Embassy. The turbaned guards opened the gate, since both men were expected by the new Ambassador. They were quickly ushered into an office piled high with crates and boxes

Ambassador Tarkaan stood to greet his important visitors. “Good morning, gentlemen. I am still unpacking, as you can see. What can I do for you this day?”

“Thank you for receiving us so quickly, Ambassador”, said the Foreign Minister. “A small issue of credentials has arisen. The Imperial Guards in Prinz von Persien have detained a man from the Orient Express train, who claims the protection of the Turkish Embassy.”

“How unusual, Minister. Who is this man?”

Prinz Otto replied, much to the new Ambassador's surprise. “It might be best, Ambassador, if I explain that this man was found with an archive document from the Imperial Military Ministry in his possession. That is why he is currently in custody.”

A look of shock crossed the Ambassador's face, though he recovered quickly. “Indeed. This tale sounds like something one might read in an adventure story. It might help if I ask the obvious question. Who is this man?”

“That, Ambassador, is why we are here. To be more specific, it is why Chancellor Bismarck asked me to accompany the Foreign Minister. You see, the advantage of being a Prinz in this situation is that I am not a formal official of the German government. The Foreign Minister is to some degree constrained by his very position.”

“You speak in riddles, Prinz Otto.”

“Then I shall endeavor to speak more clearly. The current situation is most troubling. I have no doubt that you have been informed of the attempt on my life and the culpable actions of the spies responsible. Germany is on the very brink of war with India as a result.”

“So I have been informed. I regret very much that matters have come to such a pass. What does this have to do with me or the Embassy?”

“The vast majority of the German people believe that the Mahatma is behind the attempt on my life and the theft of archive documents from the Military Ministry. There will almost certainly be a war with India shortly. If, however, it were to be publicly revealed that a Turkish national had stolen Imperial Ministry documents in his possession, a sudden and drastic shift in public opinion would occur virtually overnight.”

The Ambassador grew pale as the Prinz continued. “And so, we have a dilemma here. If this man is given the formal protection of the Embassy, we will be required by treaty to identify him publicly and permit him to return to Turkey. The German people will then believe that the Sultan, not the Mahatma, is truly behind this barbarous act.”

“I know nothing of this!” The Ambassador was sweating as though he was in the Sahara desert in midsummer.

“We believe you, Ambassador. There is an alternative. I suggest that you do not grant this man the Embassy's protection. He will then be returned to Berlin and interned for awhile.”

The Ambassador looked carefully at his visitors. “You will not put this man on trial?”

“No. It would be a distraction for our people at best and a grave embarrassment to the Sultan. It is in our interest as well as yours to keep this matter confidential.” The Prinz paused for a few moments. “Ambassador, there has always been peace between your people and mine, ever since Count Benz led the exploration team which first met your people generations ago. I have no desire to see that crumble to dust now. You see, I think I know what actually happened.”

The Ambassador had regained most of his composure. “I would be most curious as to your interpretation of these events, Prinz Otto.”

“Of course. Please bear in mind, however, that this my private opinion, and not the official position of the Imperial German government. I think that the spies in question were in fact Indian agents, who were commissioned to steal archived documents in a misguided effort to determine German military capabilities in the event of war. Our history with India is such that few in Germany would conceive that other explanations are possible. That could change literally overnight if the facts behind our detainment of a Turkish national are made public.”

“The Sultan, despite the depictions of him one sees in comic opera, is no fool. I think it is possible that an earlier attempt was made to covertly obtain these documents, such as in January of this year.” The look on the Ambassador's face confirmed for the Germans that the Prinz was on the right track. “I think the recent regrettable incident convinced your predecessor of the dangerous nature of this attempt, and that it could easily backfire. He tried to quietly send the man responsible out of Germany and back to Turkey. That is why he did not leave with the other Embassy staff who were rotated back home on December 1st.”

“An interesting theory, Prinz Otto. I see little proof for it however.”

Perhaps the Ambassador is made of sterner stuff than one might give him credit for. “There are two pieces of proof which may interest you.” The Prinz then took an envelope from his coat pocket and handed it to the Ambassador. “This is a copy of the original telegraph message from Governor Reinhart, which we received yesterday.”

The Ambassador examined the telegraph form, which certainly appeared genuine enough. The form was dated December 22rd, and was addressed to the Foreign Minister personally from Governor Reinhart of Prinz von Persien. The message itself read: “HAVE DETAINED TURKISH NATIONAL ON ORIENT EXPRESS STOP SUBJECT HAD MILITARY DOCUMENTS WHEN DETAINED STOP SUBJECT ALSO HAD TURKISH MESSAGE CASE 97 STOP SUBJECT CLAIMS PROTECTION TURKISH EMBASSY STOP SUBJECT NOT LISTED TURKISH EMBASSY COURIERS STOP REQUEST INSTRUCTIONS STOP”.

“There is no need to continue, Prinz Otto. You have made your point. What is it you propose to do?”

“I am not in a position to formally propose anything at this time, Ambassador. However, I think what will happen is something like this. We will have this man returned to Berlin, where he will spend quite some time as a guest of the Empire. This will be done as quietly and with as little public notice as possible. That is also why I shall not ask you if the Embassy sent a courier with message case 97 aboard the Orient Express at the relevant time.”

Neither the Prinz nor the Foreign Minister doubted that the new Ambassador recognized the significance of the message case number. “To continue, all we ask of you and the Sultan in return is that you remain neutral while we pursue this matter with the Mahatma. The alternative will harm both our countries, Ambassador.”

The Ambassador was clearly struggling with his emotions. Several tense seconds passed while the Germans waited for his response. “This is an an interesting, if not unique proposal, Prinz Otto. I believe the Sultan will agree. I can assure you that he has no wish to see our historic friendship with Germany fail. We shall not grant this man the formal protection of the Embassy. I should state for the record that the Sultan would never approve of any such unethical attempt to covertly obtain German military documents.”

The Foreign Minister finally spoke up, to the Ambassador's relief. “Thank you, Ambassador. Please accept my assurances that the Turkish national in question will be treated well. It may even be possible for him to be pardoned at some future date.”

“Your word is your bond with the Sultan and the Turkish people, Minister von Steinberg. I am pleased that the historic friendship between Germany and Turkey can be maintained.”

“That is all, then, until the formal installation ceremony on Friday.” The two German visitors stood up. “Thank you again for receiving us so quickly, and for your gracious help in successfully resolving this unfortunate matter.”

"I am glad to be of help to our historic allies and friends, the German people." The two Germans quickly took their leave. It was not until they were safely aboard their carriage that the Foreign Minister spoke.

"It was a good idea, Prinz Otto, for you to accompany me today. It is still difficult for me to believe that the Sultan authorized an attempt to steal archived military documents."

"There is certainly some complicity of the previous Turkish Ambassador, if not the Sultan himself. Ambassador Tarkaan did not even ask how we knew the Turkish spy was aboard the Orient Express."

"So much the better for Germany. The Chancellor can reveal that at the proper time if the Sultan chooses to ally with the evil Mahatma." The carriage stopped for a moment as the gates of the Imperial Palace were opened for them. "The Chancellor will be pleased at the success of our mission."

January 2, 410 AD

Ambassador Kattas of the Indian Republic was a nervous man at the moment. He was in the antechamber of the Imperial Palace in Berlin, waiting for his audience with the German Chancellor. How can I convince the Germans not to go to war?

The inner doors of the throne room opened, and an Imperial Guardsmen walked out and said a few words to the new Imperial chamberlain who nodded. “The Chancellor will see you now, Ambassador.”

He entered the throne room of the Chancellor, dismayed to see a half-squad of Imperial Guardsmen already present and ready. The aged Chancellor Bismarck himself was in his throne at the far end, with his usual grave expression on his face. The newly promoted General Wilhelm Tell stood by his side. “Good morning, Ambassador Kattas.”

The Ambassador bowed in the Indian fashion. “Good morning, Chancellor. I trust the presence of these fine Imperial Guardsmen does not indicate anything untoward.”

The Chancellor's face did not soften at all. “That depends upon you, Ambassador. I hope you have better evidence of the innocence of India in the attempted assassination of the Prinz than you did two weeks ago.”

“Chancellor, it is proverbially impossible to prove a negative. I assure you that India had nothing to do with either the attempted assassination or the theft of documents from the Military Ministry. I spoke to your Foreign Advisor on this subject just over a week ago. Personally, I suspect the Turks may be behind this regrettable matter.”

“So Minister von Steinberg reported. He and Prinz Otto spoke at some length with the Turkish Ambassador. They believe that the Turks are not to blame.”

The already nervous Ambassador's heart sank at this. “Is it merely a coincidence that a Turkish embassy official was on the Orient Express with stolen German documents?”

“Ambassador Tarkaan did not claim the protection of the Turkish Embassy for the man in question. We will of course investigate that matter further, but it appears that our course of action is clear.”

“Chancellor, there is no need to do anything rash at this time.”

“There is a need to do something. The German people are rightly outraged. They blame India, and it will take a considerable amount of evidence to convince them otherwise. It seems you cannot provide no specific evidence whatever.” The Chancellor nodded once to General Tell as the Guardsmen closed in.

“It is now my grave duty to inform you, Ambassador, that your people and mine are now at war. I will address the Reichstag this afternoon, but that will be a mere formality.”

The Ambassador struggled in the iron grip of the Guardsmen. “This is an unjust war, Chancellor! History will hold you responsible for the resulting deaths!”

General Tell and the Guardsmen were surprised when the Chancellor responded. “I have heard similar sentiments before in this very room. I will tell you what I told the Egyptian Ambassador at the outbreak of the Egyptian Conquest. History is written by the victors, not the vanquished.” The Guardsmen quickly ushered the Ambassador out of the throne room.

January 2, 410 AD

Newly promoted General Wilhelm Tell rode up on his charger to the gates of the Indian Embassy in Berlin. There were the usual two Republican Indian Guardsmen at the gate, but no other obvious signs of life or activity. The 1st regiment, some 200 strong, was assembled in the square just outside the Embassy.

Colonel Gunter Brandt saw his commanding officer and saluted. “Report, Colonel.”

“Everything is quiet for now, General.”

“Excellent. I have new orders from Chancellor Bismarck himself. There will be war with India. We have been ordered to secure the Indian Embassy, with as little loss of life as possible.”

The Colonel's expression did not change. “I am not surprised, sir. What are your orders?”

“I want musketmen on each of the surrounding buildings. I suppose I will have to go in and speak to whoever is now in charge.”

“It shall be done, sir.” Colonel Brandt signaled to an aide, who had apparently been expecting such an order. Colonel Brandt then turned back to his senior officer. “Sir, request permission to speak with the Indians in your stead. It is the duty of junior officers, not senior generals, to personally undertake such a dangerous mission.”

The General considered the request. “All right, Gunter. You may go in once the musketmen are in position. You will have thirty minutes to negotiate the Indian surrender.”

“And if they do not surrender?”

“Then we will secure the Embassy by whatever force is necessary.”

A few minutes later Colonel Brandt walked to the gates of the Embassy. “Guard, I wish to speak to whoever is in charge here at the Embassy.” The scowling guard reluctantly let the Colonel inside. “Follow me, German.” The two men walked past the inner door guard, who opened the door.

Colonel Brandt had expected a more chaotic scene inside. There was a roaring fire, but little obvious signs of activity. “Wait here, German, and I shall announce you to the military attache.” The guard disappeared into the inner office. It seemed an age before the guard returned. “The military attache will see you now.”

The military attache looked at the Colonel in surprise. Perhaps this is not the start of the war after all. “I had expected to see General Tell himself. What can I do for you, Colonel Brandt?”

“I am here on official business, Colonel Mehta. I regret to inform you that the meeting between your Ambassador and Chancellor Bismarck did not go well. Chancellor Bismarck...has declared war upon India as of this morning. He will speak to the Reichstag at noon, but that will be a mere formality.”

A look of shock and surprise passed over the other man's face at this. “The Ambassador feared as much, Colonel Brandt. We are prepared to peaceably surrender the Embassy upon one condition.”

“And that would be?”

“I request permission to send a final message to Delhi confirming the Chancellor's action.”

The Colonel considered for a long moment. “I suggest you write the message now, and take the aviary pigeon with you outside. Our marksmen will open fire if you simply open the window and release the pigeon.”

“A logical precaution, Colonel.” The military attache opened the desk, and took out a prepared message form. “Perhaps you and I could go outside and reassure your troops that violence will not be required at this time.”

“As you wish.” Colonel Brandt stood up from his chair. “I appreciate your statesmanlike action under the circumstances.”

The military attache stood as well. “The Ambassador gave specific instructions in the event the Chancellor declared war. A heroic last stand under these circumstances is futile.” He carefully picked up the birdcage with an aviary pigeon inside.

“Let us go, then.” This was easier than I had ever imagined.

January 2, 410 AD

Chancellor Bismarck was waiting just outside the side door of the main hall of the Reichstag Chamber. There was an air of expectancy, as if the assembled Councilmen and diplomatic guests knew that there would indeed be war with India.

“Everything is ready, Father.”, said Prinz Otto. “We have just received word that the Indian Embassy has been secured. General Tell reports that this was done without loss of life on either side.”

“Excellent. Have General Tell report to my office in one hour.”

“It shall be done, Father.” The Chancellor nodded, and the Prinz himself opened the door for his father. The assembled Councilmen stood at his entrance as the Chancellor walked slowly to the main podium.

“People of Germany! It is my duty as Chancellor to bring you grave news this day. You all know of the recent outrage which took place some two weeks ago, here in the very heart of the Empire! Two assassins, who had stolen military documents in their possession, attempted to murder Prinz Otto in cold blood. The Prinz survived only through the heroism of General Wilhelm Tell and the marksmanship of the Imperial Guards.”

“The news of this brazen act of treachery was as great a shock to me as it was to any other citizen of the Empire. I had dared to hope, along with the rest of the German people, that the peace treaty signed with India less than two years ago would lead to a lessening of tensions and perhaps even a lasting peace. It appears that the Mahatma had other plans. The Mahatma was not content with attempting to steal military documents, but added to this base treachery the crime of attempted murder. The German people will not stand for this!”

“I spoke with the Indian Ambassador this very morning, in the hopes that he could provide convincing evidence of India's innocence. I regret to report that no such evidence was produced, save the assurance of the Ambassador that the Mahatma 'had nothing to do with this outrage.” The muttered curses, even from the stolid and serious Councilmen, testified to the hostility to India in the Reichstag Chamber.

“It is thus my grave duty to request from this body a formal declaration of war against India. The Mahatma and his evil minions shall feel the wrath of the German people!” There was a brief silence in the Reichstag Chamber, broken by someone from the back benches shouting “Victory or Death!” It took only a few seconds for the cry to be taken up by the assembled Councilmen and visitors.

“VICTORY OR DEATH! VICTORY OR DEATH! VICTORY OR DEATH!”

January 10, 410 AD

Captain Rajiv Mehta took a final look from the deck of the frigate Rajput, currently docked in the port of Ganges. Most of the crew was on shore leave until tomorrow, when the Rajput had been scheduled to escort the caravel Agra to the still largely unknown continent of Africa and found a new settlement.

Satisfied, Captain Mehta went aft to his cabin. The few maps of the eastern African coast he had, most dating from the time of the now vanished Egyptian Republic, were spread out on the chart table. He had pored over them for some time when there was a knock at his door.

“Come in!”

The first mate entered. “I checked with the postmaster, Captain. There is still no sign of the final orders for Rajput from the Republican Guard.”

“That is odd. It is not like the Guard to omit such an important matter.” Captain Mehta paused for a moment. “Did you check with the Governor's office?”

“Not yet, sir. I wanted to inform you first.”

“All right, Sanjay. Have Captain Kattas join me once he arrives.” He paused as he realized that Sanjay was looking intently out of the starboard cabin porthole.

“Captain, why are there cavalry troopers on the outer docks?”

Captain Mehta looked through his spyglass at the troopers. There were a dozen riders or so, who quickly fanned out over the outer docks. His blood ran cold as he realised that these cavalry riders were not wearing Republican Guard purple, but blue with white trim on their field uniforms. “Those are German soldiers!” The two men stared at the cavalry for a few moments, and then scrambled out of the cabin onto the quarterdeck of the Rajput.

Outside was a scene of chaos. There were columns of smoke rising from the northern sections of Ganges, and the Captain and his first mate could see a steady stream of terrified civilians running southward as quickly as possible.

“What does this mean, Captain?”

Captain Mehta did not reply for several long seconds. “It means a second German War, Sanjay.” He could now see more blue-clad cavalry troopers headed towards the docks through his spyglass. A single shot rang out to seaward, as the Captain turned around.

The German advance team had reached the harbormaster's shack. Two Indians were being held at musket point, while a third lay motionless on the dock. The Captain saw the reinforced iron gates of the harbor being closed. We are trapped here in the harbor!

“Sanjay, help me with this grease barrel.”

“Captain..you can't...” The first mate looked at his commanding officer with a shocked and beseeching expression, realizing what Captain Mehta intended.

“It is better that we scuttle the ship ourselves than let it fall into German hands!”

The first mate had turned to argue when both saw flames shooting up from the next berth, where the caravel Agra was anchored. “It will not matter now. The Germans will not have this ship!” The first mate spilled the barrel, while Captain Mehta himself set it alight. Both men jumped to the dock as the flames roared to life.

“We must save ourselves, Sanjay.” The Captain looked back only once, to see the flames enveloping the aft cabins of their warship. Someday, I will pay back the Germans for this! By Vishnu, I swear it!

January 21, 410 AD

Chancellor Bismarck called the meeting of the War Council to order. “I will ask the Science Minister to give a brief report, and then we must get to the Military Minister's report on the war. Johann?”

The elderly Science Minister took the podium. His hair had turned white over the years, but his enthusiasm was undiminished. “My Chancellor, I am pleased to report in this time of war that we have significantly improved the ways in which we investigate scientific matters. The annual conferences in Physics alone are worth the investment in time and effort. The Imperial Science Academy believes it is time to work on other priorities.”

“Very well, Johann. What is it you propose to look into next?”

“We at the Imperial Science Academy are nearing completion of a great scientific work. It will be called the Theory of Evolution. Our scholars believe that the Empire will gain a great deal of knowledge once this is completed.”

“Excellent. How long will this take?”

“I expect to have results by this time next year. We have suspected that such a thing was possible for some time now, and, in conjunction with the Domestic Ministry, we have been stockpiling resources in Leipzig for the last ten years.”

The new Cultural Minister, Ludwig von Salierich, raised his hand. “Johann, do we know what fields of science we may learn as a result of this theory?”

“A good question indeed, Ludwig. The short answer is that we do not know precisely, but we expect to learn more details about the structure of matter and additional uses for the recently discovered science of Electricity.”

“It sounds like Christmas on a grand scale. Keep up the good work, Johann.” The Chancellor paused for a moment. “Now we must get back to the war. Karl?”

The Military Minister took the podium. “My Chancellor, our forces have secured the city of Ganges. The city has well over a million inhabitants. I regret to report that the Indians scuttled the two capital ships in the harbor to prevent their capture by the Empire. We were able to achieve this victory largely through speed and surprise.”

The Minister then pulled down a large map of the Indian subcontinent. “Our labor crews are hard at work even now grading and laying down a rail line south from Bangalore. We will attack the cities of Kabul and Hyderabad once the rail line has been properly extended. I expect that will take place within the next two or three months. Our goal will be to extend our territory south to cover the entire Indian subcontinent. I will caution that the southernmost cities of Badami and New Bombay will take some time to reach even under ideal circumstances, due to the extensive jungles.”

“Will the loss of the iron mines of Ganges affect the iron supplies of the Indians?”

“We do not believe so, my Chancellor. The Indians have access to iron mines near Karachi and Puri, and so they will be able to supply their own needs at least. It may affect their ability to export iron, but then the Indians currently have no such export program in place to the best of our knowledge.” The Chancellor nodded at this, as the Minister pulled down a second chart.

“A second assault group will be sent east, towards the city of Bombay. Our latest intelligence reports suggest the city is well defended with at least six divisions of musketmen and pikemen. We will send an attack group of fifteen cavalry units, led by the 2nd Corps, and that assault should take place within the next two or three months. This may also have the effect of isolating Delhi from further reinforcements and resupplies.”

“The remaining forces will be sent north, to besiege and ultimately capture Delhi itself. There are at least twenty Indian divisions defending the city, with at least fifteen musketmen and two cannon batteries. The 3rd and 4th Corps will lead our assault with forty cavalry divisions “ A somber silence followed as everyone contemplated what such a battle might mean.

“Will that be enough to take the capital city, Karl?”

“We think so, my Chancellor. I will warn you and the Council that the Indians have had a generation to prepare their defenses. It is most naïve and foolish to believe that this can be done without serious losses on our part.”

“I understand, Karl. I would like to hear from the Foreign Minister to get a sense of world reactions. Horst?”

The Foreign Minister now took over the podium. “My Chancellor, the very speed of our advance means that aviary messages have not had time to arrive from the other major powers. The Turkish and Songhai Ambassadors have privately expressed concerns to me.”

“Very well. Please keep a close eye on this. I expect that the Mahatma will attempt to gain allies whenever and wherever he can.” The Chancellor paused for a moment. “Is there anything else before we adjourn?” No one spoke, and so the Chancellor continued, “Meeting adjourned.” Everyone stood as the Chancellor left the War Council meeting room.

January 26, 410 AD

Sanjay Hari walked to their rug and textile shop in the marketplace of Dacca in the early winter morning to open it for business. He and his sister Mata had inherited the shop from their widowed mother just two years ago. It is a good thing Mother did not live to see a second war with Germany.

The markets were still open, but the newly declared war with India was proving to be a disaster for business. The German authorities had doubled their presence in the city, and the large Indian population of what was once an eastern province of the Indian Republic was restless. German immigration had actually led to a slight German majority in the city of nearly a million people, which had grated endlessly on their mother while she lived.

His sister was already there, to his surprise. “Sanjay, you will never believe who came by the shop this morning!”

“Try me.”

“A secret agent! He gave the correct sign and everything!”

Sanjay looked at his sister with surprise. His mother had given veiled hints that she was somehow involved with the Indian resistance during the German War, though he had never seen direct evidence of it. “Indeed. Did he give you some sort of secret message, then?”

“Even better. He said he was instructed to speak to 'the lady rug merchant of Dacca' and gave me this!” She pointed to a medium-sized envelope, lying on the office desk.

Sanjay looked inside the envelope. Inside were several sheets of paper, written in German. The top sheet had a blue wax seal. He realized with a start that the seal certainly appeared to be that of the German Imperial Guard.

“So now what? I do not want this stuff in the shop. We will be arrested and jailed if the authorities find it here.”

“I thought of that. This claims to be a report from Prinz von Persien detailing the capture of a Turkish spy. Sanjay, do you realize what this means? It was not the Mahatma who was spying on the Germans after all. It was the Turkish Sultan!”

“Mata, this is some sort of trap! The Germans would have made this public if it were genuine. We will be in a lot of trouble if we get caught with it.”

“We have to do something! Don't you see! We might be able to stop this war!”

“All right, Mata. Let us assume for a moment that this is not some sort of German trap, and that this letter is genuine. How do we get these papers out of our shop and into the hands of someone who can actually do something about it?”

“I don't know. Perhaps I could go to Berlin and talk to one of the newspapers there.”

“That is impossible, Mata. There are all sorts of travel restrictions on Indian nationals headed west past Constantinople. You would never get there, and if you tried, the Germans would find this when you were stopped and searched.”

“There must be some way!”

Sanjay thought for a few moments. “There is one way. There are restrictions on traveling to Bangalore or Ahmadabad, but not Prinz von Persien. We could go there, and try to speak with Klaus Kentlich.”

“The Deutsche Welte reporter?”

“Exactly. We will give him this envelope, and tell him it is the story of the century. He can take it from there.”

His sister's eyes glowed with excitement. “I knew you would think of something, Sanjay!”

Top Bottom