1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood in deathfiles

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by alireza1354, Jul 3, 2003.

1. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

Dont you all think its cool to add blood to the deathfiles of certain units? Maybe even chopped off limbs or heads?

I think this would really make the gameplay more serious and cool :)

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

2. Junzi Nicuzn

Junzi Nicuzn Gaijin Samurai

:cry: Won't anyone please think of the children!?! :cry:

Actually, I kinda like this morbid idea :die:

3. barron of ideas

barron of ideas Barron

Please, Firaxis wants to sell this game to everyone, including the squeamish, like teachers and librarians on the basis that it is educational. Textbooks don't show blood and gore, it doesn't sell to part of the target market.

Think about the kinds of movies that get made to appeal to general audiences. The blood and violence is mostly in the one for teenage males. So I am not surprised it appeals to a lot of the people on the forum, who are, tada, teenaged males.

4. cookie_monster

cookie_monster Chieftain

The celts swordsmans head rolls away when he dies.

Gave me sleepless nights for weeks!!

5. RX2000

RX2000 Prince

I personally would like this, but I am almost certain Firaxis would NEVER include this idea. It just wouldnt appeal to everyone they are trying to market the game to.

6. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

That's not true. At age 13 I was given a history textbook with pictures of decapitated people in it having just been being executed. :ack:

7. nalves

nalves sailing in a NAU

:rotfl:

8. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

Really? I never noticed it, must look more closely.

9. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

Ditto. :hmm:

10. piedude

piedude Chieftain

Its highly unlikely Firaxis will release the game or any expansion with Blood/gore simply because it would then mean the game would have to be classified M or even MA and therefore "APPARENTLY" ;) not available to the younger gamers!

BUT, that does not mean that the unit making members of this community cant add blood to their units! :)

11. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

How about the option to ritualistically torture the enemy leaders when you wipe out their civ? Sometimes grinding their entire civ into the dust isn't enough revenge for me :)

I've never understood why its considered dangerous for young minds to see blood/gore, but not to adopt the persona of a vicious meglamaniac and kill millions of people on a whim.

12. bippukt

bippukt Prince

Are you serious, MadScot. I hope (and think) that you are not.

IMO this is a very valid question. But perhaps that will require a psychiatrist to explain. ;)

But personally, I am not in favour of blood and gore unless it is accompanied by drastic improvements in the Graphics.

13. Ivan the Kulak

Ivan the Kulak King

I think the anim files are too small for you to do a realistic rendition of blood spurting from a decapitated foot unit. The best you could hope for is a hard to see blob of red or a faint red mist.

14. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

I think you are clearly one of the "teenaged males" that was mentioned previously. "more serious and cool"? Get real.

15. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Civilization III/PTW are both rated ‘E for everyone’. That was done so all age groups can enjoy the game without parents worrying what their 8-year-old child is seeing. If you notice, they even described the smallest fighting animation on the back. Ironically, even though Civ was designed for all age groups, more older people play it than 10-15 year old people.

If you add the blood and guts graphics then it will obviously be ‘T for teens’. That's why most other strategy games are ‘T’ ex: Empire Earth. Like some of you said, even if they added it the graphics are to small to see so it will not be ‘M’.

16. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

Moderators should grow up and try to be tolerant for different views on this forum.

Moderator Action: Bashing of moderators will not be tolerated. Consider yourself banned.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Try not to be firaxis's tail, modding is made to enhance the gameplay and even improve it in many ways.

Many games show blood, games that are even more popular among young children instead of this complex strategic and historical based game.

So get a life u :crazyeye: .

As for the rest, yes blood is cool. It should be possible to add it to the deathfiles, I am going to start right away and post them on the forum!

Bye

See 'ya in 3 days.

17. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

How does blood equal more serious??? :confused:

If you want blood go play some first person shooter, or something like that... Civ3 doesn't need blood and I don't think Firaxis will ever include it in the game....

18. Civrules

Civrules We the People

You are right, Darkness. How can blood make game play more serious? Game play is game play therefore you cannot change how you play unless the AI was more smart then I guess game play would be serious, but not with blood.

19. Crowpocalyptic1

Crowpocalyptic1 Warlord

If you want it, change the files and add it. I doubt Firaxis would touch it.

20. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

To get a more "serious" feel in combat, I'd suggest returning to the good ol' trusty practices of strategy games; remove animated units and replace them with the sort of flags or icons a commander would see on his map of the theatre of war. Having pairs of little toy soldiers the size of cities duelling does drive home the non-reality of civ combat very well, blood or not.

However, I'm childish enough (at 21) that I rather like current cartoonish combat animations. Plenty of blood might be cool, in a unserious way, if done in a impressionistic, clean fashion. If someone makes a "blood'n'gore" graphics mod, I might at least look at it.