Blood on the Field of Lilies

@jackelgull
Dear Galahad du Lac, Duc of Pentherve,

My family and I wish to travel through your lands to attend the funeral of the Hero Emperor and the Grand Council. Under the Imperial laws, I am entitled to travel with a small group of military personnel (1 Retinue of Pikemen) to act as bodyguards. I also wish to travel with my personal cohort of Ritual Mages (1 Retinue) for the purposes of continuing my magical research while travelling. However, according to my legal expert, they would technically count as military personnel and therefore I would be in violations of the laws of the land if I do not first ask you for permission! What nonsensical bureaucratic poppycock!

I am writing to ask for your permission for and my family and I to travel through the lands of Pentherve with 1 Retinue of Pikemen and 1 Retinue of Ritual Mages. Obviously I wish none of you, your family or your subjects any harm and simply wish to bring protection from bandits while having access to my magical research. I am truly sorry for wasting your time with this bureaucratic busywork during these trying times.

Yours Sincerely,

Maximilen de Maxilmilen, Comte of Nerlandais.

House Name: House Lefrebvre
Coats of arms: a hammer striking an anvil, on a yellow background.
Words: There are no mistakes in metal or men/Strike truly.

Magic: Alchemy
Background: Agent
Starting location: The House Lefrebve is a noble house seated at Montcastel.

Horace Lefrebvre (m, 37)
Master blacksmith (+3)
Amoral (+0)
Lucky (+1)
Distant (-1)
and his beloved wife, Georgine Lefrebvre (f, 20)
Beloved (+4)
Rebellious (-2)
Vain (-1)
Attractive (+2)
Wise (+2)

Last edited:
A Ode to the Hero
by Achille L'Écuyer

Standing up here, I weep ever so,
Remembering a hero we knew so long ago:
Blazing sun shining on a gallant knight,
Fighting for all with his fearsome might,
Ending tyranny with a flick of his sword,
Uniting us all with the goodness of his word,
Sheathing his sword with the sunset overhead,
Giving to us all peace, land, and bread.
Guiding him through it all was heaven up above,
Serving by his side we were all proud of,
Wounding him though was a gash from the scourge,
Gathering here now we listen to his funeral dirge.
Everything he fought for doesn't have to become undone,
Succeeding him will be a new hero, loved by everyone.​

-----

OOC: Yes this poem is bad, but then again so is Achille at anything requiring him to use his meager brain.

Siege

Six months ago:

Galahad sighed. The Baron Phillippe was surrounding the abbey of Pentherve with sixty chevaliers, with every intent of sacking the place and quite possibly butchering those inside (or worse). One of those people being his sister. The situation had escalated because when the Baron heard there was a beautiful peasant being married, he arrived to claim his right of the first night. The abbess has promptly barricaded the doors proclaiming that no bride will be made a whore in her presence and carried on with the ceremony. Phillippe became intent on claiming his due and the abbess’ head to boot. By now, the siege had gone on for a week. And Galahad had sent his men to interfere.

Phillippe walked in with powerful, confident steps. He dominates the room, as always.

“I assume you know why I am here,” Phillippe said dispensing with pleasantries.

“Since you see fit to get to the point, I will too. My sister is in the abbey and the abbess is a family friend.”

“Your sister was given a chance to leave and refused to do so. She has made her bed and she will lie on it. And the abbess has clearly gone mad, overstepping her bounds. She cannot be allowed to think this is acceptable.”

“Nevertheless I cannot allow you to do this.”

“You think you can tell me what to do? ” Phillippe is on the edge of rage, Galahad can feel it. One wrong move and there would be blood. If Galahad were a proper chevalier and not just a mage pretending to be one he might say something like “I am not telling you what to do I am telling you what I will do” there would be blood. It’d be a fight Galahad could win and most of his vassals would be behind him, but fighting with one’s vassals was always a messy business regardless of casus belli.

Galahad decides to take a different tack.

“Let us review the facts. One, the abbey of Pentherve is not your land, it is mine. By stationing troops there, you have in effect declared war on me, your Liege lord. Two, your actions threaten my sister’s life and her virtue, and by all the laws and customs of Pentherve, I would be well within my rights to run you through and seize your property for that. Three, the married couple’s first night has passed, you have in effect lost all claim. In light of these facts, you are standing on very thin ice,” Galahad speaks very clearly, keeping his anger corralled deep in his core, only letting a little show through his facade to make the baron realize how much trouble he was in.

“That matters not” Phillippe says but Galahad can hear the tremble in the man’s voice. Phillippe is a chevalier through and through. He wanted the woman because she was beautiful and the legal justification was an after the fact excuse for the fact that he wanted her and could take her. Phillippe has no real desire for a fight, but as a chevalier he could not back down from a challenge such as this; however, Phillippe was not stupid either. He knows Galahad can destroy him. He knows Galahad has ample ground to do so. Not for the last time Galahad cursed the irrationality of a chevalier. Phillippe would choose suicide over looking weak and his whole damned kind would make the choice from the least hedge knight to Gaston.

Why couldn’t this be easy, between the murderous forest and the damn privateers his problems were mounting and now this. He just wished ruling the ducdom of Pentherve would feel less like eternally putting out fires for once.

Galahad takes a deep breath, and offers his vassal a tiny fig leaf.

“I have written to the Archbishop of Pentherve. He is coming to mediate this” Galahad finally said.

“The Archbishop? He has no authority in this matter!” Phillippe snaps immediately.

Galahad merely smiles, a polite chilly smile reminding Phillippe that he was speaking to Galahad Du Luc, descendent of Lancelot, and a force to be reckoned with in his own right. Phillippe could either take his fig leaf or go to hell.

“Very well,” Phillippe says, defeated, knowing he would be lucky to get anything from the Archbishop but realizing every alternative was worse.

“You will also no longer harass those entering and leaving the abbey for any reason, if I hear one word of your men accosting visitors, I will throw them in jail.”

“Very well, sir,” the Baron said through gritted teeth, and he leaves the room.

Galahad collapses on his chair in boneless exhaustion, and groaned thinking about the next steps. This solution while the most diplomatic would also cause the rivalry between the Archbishop of Pentherve and the Abbey to flare up. He rubbed his temples as he filed this under “Not my problem” a list that was distressingly short, and one he was only happy to add too.

House Name: d'Argent
Magic: Elemental
Background: Chevalier
Preferred Starting Location: Pentherve

House Crest:
mnda_coa_clipped.png
Sable a pale Argent in dexter three unicorns couchant Or in senester three roses barbed Or.

The three unicorns represent protection, bravery, and purity. The three barbed roses represent love, sacrifice, and hope. Together with an argent stripe representing peace, these indicate the House d'Argent's concept of the ideal chevalerie. The green vines of the mantle represent agriculture and harvest. The helm atop the shield is unadorned with any decoration, indicating a humble knight. The wyverns supporting the shield represent strength and magic, indicating the necessary duties of the ideal noble as a powerful warrior and a skilled warlock.

House d'Argent's motto is "Prepared for War." Their battle standards bear the colors silver, green, and gold.

Members:

Comtesse Céleste Lumiére Angeline d'Argent
Traits: Dignified, Wise, Just, Patient, Moral, Pious, Distant
Description: The Comtesse rules her fiefs from the ancestral home of House d'Argent, a castle called Clair de Lune. Céleste is an intelligent woman, attractive but with the weary countenance of one who had suffered much and more. Her late husband perished in the war against the tyrant, and though she keeps a stiff upper lip and tends to the duties of her realm responsibly, those duties weigh on her yet. A skilled elementalist (as all of House d'Argent are learned in martial magicks), she specializes in the use of lightning magic and the lance.

Lady Estelle Clára Lumiére d'Argent
Traits: Heroic, Just, Diligent, Moral, Proactive, Idealistic, Pious, Temperamental, Arrogant, Rebellious, Homosexual
Description: Lady Estelle is the eldest daughter of the Comtesse, and although in many ways her mother's complete opposite, shares her keen sense of justice and right. Estelle is bold, insouciant, and reckless, but driven by a powerful force of personality and an uncompromisable commitment to improving the world. Devoted in her training and her duties, Estelle is still eager to prove herself and become a champion for the cause of goodness. Estelle is an avid learner of tactics and strategy and specializes in the longsword and fire magic.

Last edited:
Very happy to see some new joins! Stats will be updated accordingly. I will be allowing for an extension on these orders so that our new players can be up and running, but it would be highly appreciated if others can get orders in by Wednesday.

I am amending the rules regarding travel. Prior, all travel actions required 1 AP. Now, travel actions are free, if you are only doing actions in one duchy. Travel is NOT free if you are doing actions in multiple duchies.

For example, let's say Roland de Tours is currently in Franchpais. He can travel to Montcastel for free if he's only interested in doing a quest in Montcastel. But if he wants to do an action in Franchpais AND Montcastel, then he'll have to burn an Action point.

Also: single character houses will not have the three action point limit that other families are limited to. Hopefully, they don't die.

@jackelgull
Dear Galahad du Lac, Duc of Pentherve,

My family and I wish to travel through your lands to attend the funeral of the Hero Emperor and the Grand Council. Under the Imperial laws, I am entitled to travel with a small group of military personnel (1 Retinue of Pikemen) to act as bodyguards. I also wish to travel with my personal cohort of Ritual Mages (1 Retinue) for the purposes of continuing my magical research while travelling. However, according to my legal expert, they would technically count as military personnel and therefore I would be in violations of the laws of the land if I do not first ask you for permission! What nonsensical bureaucratic poppycock!

I am writing to ask for your permission for and my family and I to travel through the lands of Pentherve with 1 Retinue of Pikemen and 1 Retinue of Ritual Mages. Obviously I wish none of you, your family or your subjects any harm and simply wish to bring protection from bandits while having access to my magical research. I am truly sorry for wasting your time with this bureaucratic busywork during these trying times.

Yours Sincerely,

Maximilen de Maxilmilen, Comte of Nerlandais.

Dear Maximilen de Maxilmilen, Comte of Nerlandais,

Very well, you shall be allowed 2 retinues, but I warn you against abusing my hospitality to cause trouble. I have heard the stories about you ritual mages.

From,

Galahad du Lac, Duc of Pentherve

Roland enjoyed the long rides, the weeks out in the wilds, the wind on his face. He enjoyed the chill, and the rain, and the cold dips in mountain creeks and the warmth of the fire at night. He enjoyed the solitude, the knowledge that he was the only man for leagues and leagues. He enjoyed the occasional meetings with strangers on the road, the shared meal, shared fire, and shared stores. He enjoyed the occasional thrill of the blood-lust when some fools or unfortunate creatures thought him an easy prey.

But, most of all, he enjoyed being free, free of the heavy cloud of guilt and judgement and expectation and obligation that hung heavy over Chateauguay.

Everytime he rode off on one of these adventures (and he hated himself for thinking of them as adventures) he felt freer than he had at home in years. Since, at least, the accident.

But, soon enough, all too soon, the blue spires of Chateauguay rose up into the grey skies of the horizon. Roland sighed and patted the pouch at his side. A dozen scrolls and three tablets, all with the characteristic inked pictograms of the ancient ones, sat carefully protected, wrapped a waxed pouch.

As he drew nearer to the bridge, he grasped the crystal that hung in a pendant at his neck. His shield and armor, which was weathered, beaten, and colorless, rippled with a myriad of rainbow colors, shimmering brightly before settling into a new appearance. The black cat rampant on it’s golden field adorned the shield, unblemished, and his armor shimmered with a deep, untarnished gold. Illusion, but one upon which his mother insisted.

High above, the same black cat reared majestically on gold pendants, flapping in the wind.

Bayard, beneath his legs, whinnied softly and tossed his head, as the packed dirt turned to the stone of the bridge. The guards saluted, and, from the tower above, a series of horn blasts echoed, announcing his return.

Roland sighed again, and with a practice movement of his hips urged Bayard into a light trot. The clatter of the hooves against the bridge echoed back and forth off the high ramparts that surrounded the island in the middle of the river. Beyond them peaked the gabled roof of the tower’s keep.

Roland spotted some movement on the roof, though when he looked at it directly, it had vanished.

The drawbridge slowly creaked down. The guards prefered to keep the castle inaccessible this early in the morning, though later in the day, the bridge would be down and tradesmen and merchants and farmers would cross in a steady stream. Normally, Roland would have waited in a nearby inn, broken his fast, but he had ridden hard, all night, to make it home as quickly as possible.

“My Lord. Welcome home!” one of the stable-boys hurried to take Bayard’s lead. Roland nodded, and asked “Are my parents up, yet?” as dismounted.

The boy bowed, an awkward movement while holding the horse’s bridle. “I think so, my lord. I heard cook about an hour ago getting food ready.”

“Thank you,” Roland smiled at the boy, though it didn’t quite reach his eyes. Slowly, he made his way through the corridors of the castle towards the Great Hall, clutching the pouch with his findings. He stopped before it’s great oaken doors, closed his eyes for a moment, sighed, straightened his shoulders, and carefully affixed a smile on his face, before pushing one open and striding in.

The Great Hall was a long room with arched stonework, illuminated by a series of armilleries that gathered sunlight, starlight, or, in a pinch, firelight, refracted it, and, with a bit of magic, multiplied it’s dazzling brightness into a dappled mosaic of color and light that coated the walls, ceiling, and floor, as well as everything within. Roland, frankly, found it to be headache inducing. He suspected his father agreed, since the armilleries were only ever lit when his mother was dining, or when events of state called for the display.

Tapestries hung, embroideries showing all manners of mythic tales. Old tapestries showing dragon slayings and demon banishings and unicorn tamings, and, in a prominent position, a much more recent tapestry. It showed the Hero’s victory over the Tyrant, with, in a prominent position, Roland’s own father, standing at the Hero’s side with hand raised and brilliant magic dissolving the purple swirl of the Tyrant’s own magic.

Fabrication, of course. His father had served against the Tyrant, of course, but according to his own account, he had not been anywhere near the throne room during the final confrontation, tending, instead, to the survivors of the last, desperate magical spasms of the Tyrant’s Battlemages. Roland remembered the tense days in belle-neige, his father’s absence, brother standing proud at the door, sword in hand, a brilliant gleam, keeping the Tyrant’s corpses from storming the manor. Still, the tapestry was a gift from the Remillard, and, though it was tacky in a typically Remillard fashion, his mother enjoyed the gift from her family.

His parents sat on a table on a raised step at the end of the room. It was breakfast, so they dined alone,with only a small retinue of servants bringing out dishes.

“Roland!” His father called out, booming voice echoing. His mother looked up from her plate, and smiled, a strained expression, but no less genuine. “Welcome back, boy! How was your trip?”

“Well enough, father.” Roland answered, giving a light bow towards his parents.

His father gestured at the table, as the servants hurried to set another place. “Sit. Eat, tell us about it. What did you find?”

Roland stepped up, and placed the waxed pouch on the table. His father gently opened it, delicately removing the scrolls, the tablets, and the small effigy. “Where?” He asked, tersely.

“Montcastel. Four days hard ride west of Brives.”

His father looked up, curious. “I thought you were heading further north? Palatine The Elder wrote of the broken stone circles of Kolpchek as a possible site for the ancient’s defeat of darkness.”

Roland Shrugged, though he struggled to hide the feeling of annoyance at the questioning. “I heard rumors.”

His father grunted. “Completely different time period, but you’re the one out there. What did you find? Obviously something, I don’t think there’s copies of these scrolls at Besangeaux. I don’t recognize them at a glance, at least. The tablets are copies of the ”Wings of Flame” I think. I’d have to translate. Originals, worth something, I think, but won’t help our quest.”

“A tomb. Some kind of priest.”

“Defences?” His father asked, curtly, focused on the items infront of him.

“Still working. A crystal array, hiding a trapped devil.”

“Light and Dark working in harmony? Intriguing.” His father looked up at that, holding one of the tablets lightly.

“Not really harmony. More like.... Working despite each other.”

“Are you alright?” His mother interjected.

Roland unconsciously rubbed at a scab on his cheek where one of the Devil’s claws had ripped at him before he’d dispelled it with copious light. “‘M fine.” He turned his attention back to his father, and to the Idol in front of them. “I think it was the tomb of an acolyte of the Demon Princes. Not one of the Synod, but someone important. One of Melkir’s Get, I think, or one of the Sybarite Sanctum. It was looted long ago, but there were still marks of decoration.”

His father, Jerome, picked up the idol, turning it delicately and inspecting it closely. “I think so. Looks like Melkir’s maggot, worn with age.”

“There was a preservative rune on the chest with the scrolls, hidden under a rockfall, the rest of the tomb was more.” he paused. “There was a tree growing through the sarcophagus and into the ceiling.”

“Well, I’m happy you are home, though it won’t be for too long.” His mother added.

“Yes, the Emperor, May his soul rise in peace, is dead. We’re all leaving for Belle-neige today.” Roland’s father took a bite of bread in front of him. “We were waiting for you.”

Roland frowned. “I’d hoped to head back out tomorrow. Get to the broken circles.”

Jerome shook his head. “Sorry, son. Obligations.”

Roland tamped down the irritation he felt. “Is everyone coming?”

They all knew what he meant. There was a heavy pause, before Jerome sat back, Juliette clasping his hand. She looked at him, and when he didn’t speak, she did. “We can’t keep your brother in good care if we’re not with him. He’ll be going. Belle-Neige has been prepared, and your father has lined the carriage with facets to keep him alive. I’ve prepared a series of potions. He’ll be fine.”

There was a pregnant silence.

“There’s something else we must discuss.” His mother added, looking at her plate, at the walls, anywhere not at Roland.

“Yes.” His father agreed, looking Roland in the eyes. “Your education.”

“WHAT?” Roland bellowed, after a moment of silence where the words sunk in, all the irritation and frustration welling up at once.

“You will be attending Champileme this coming semester, and every semester hence until you graduate.”

“No, I won’t.”

“Yes. You will.”

“I need to be back out there! I need to...” He struggled for words, his brother’s vacant face looming in his mind. “I need to be out there. Hunting.”

His father shook his head. “No, you need to get an education. You will be your brother’s Seneschal, or you will found your own holdfast, and you will need the knowledge the College will provide you.”

“I need to be out there!” Roland repeated, more softly.

“This is final. We will travel to Clermont, and, after that, you will take the entrance exams. And you will PASS them, or else.” His father glared at him sternly, but then relented. “Think of it this way: You will be learning skills and knowledges useful for your delves, and it’ll give you access to tomes and texts we don’t have here.”

Roland spun around, mind already racing for ways to leave, to avoid this burden.

But, the next morning, he was riding alongside the carriage as it left for Clermont. He turned, one last time, to look upon the battlements of Chateauguay. They reared proudly, crenelated towers clawing at the grey sky in defiance.

For a moment, he thought he saw a flicker of movement on the rooftops.

House Name: Lectulo

Magic: Alchemy

Background:Governor

Duchy: Orlandy, (maybe be a Comte, of said duchy)

Coperta Lectulo (82 years old)

Crazed(-3), Beloved (+4), Friendly (+1)

Coperta was only 17 when she took charge as the Matriarch of her house, at that time Faustus was known for the rough heel they used to keep their people in check, but through the decades she gradually lessened the grip on the common worker, while also contributing to the culture of extravagance for her house. Even after her stroke at 78, she still makes regular appearances and, with an attendant pushing her chair, she visits the market to chat with the lower merchant class and buy her favorite bread.

Cuscino Lectulo (53 years old)

Distant(-1), Dignified (+3), Diligent (+1), Wise (+2)

Cuscino became acting house Patriarch after Coperta’s stroke, in the aftermath he displayed his skill of alchemy to stabilize his mother and reassure the masses. He seems to be more interested in his duties than entertaining dignitaries, which he leaves to his son, Stibadium.

Stibadium Lectulo (23 years old)

Musical(+1), Attractive(+2), Depraved(-1)

At first, Stibadium was helpful to Cuscino, he would be able to entertain and distract even the most troublesome dignitary. In time Stibadium learned to like the balls and parties, then love them, then the parties that took place after the balls, then his father was all too happy to finance his own parties for Stibadium. But then Stibadium continued to go to private parties on top of that. He has occasionally been seen with slightly different colored lips in the evenings.

Testata Lectulo(12 years old)

Hardy +2 Cruel -2

Testana has fallen from trees onto rough rock piles and dusted herself off without much thought, her guards watched in surprise when she wrestled and subdued a rabid dog, and then had to tear her off when she continued well after it went limp. Testata, being a child is easy enough occupied by being sent on trips to the wood when company is over, her father Cuscino would prefer if not quite so many returned as hunting trips.

Last edited:
Welcome all! You can find your new quests edited in the update

I am expecting orders ideally this Wednesday evening; if you have joined since the update though I can give you a bit more time so that you can get properly situated.

Please be sure to designate an attendee for the funeral and for whom you wish to vote for. Remember, an Emperor or Empress cannot be selected until they have a majority vote :)

House Name: House d’Irène
Magic:
Alchemy
Background:
Patrician

Members:

Nicodème d’Irène
Traits: Hardy (+2), Dilligent (+1), Pious (+0), Vain (-1)
Description: Deeply committed to the prestige of House d’Irène, Nicodème has endured much to build his family name.

Marie d’Irène
Traits: Attractive (+2), Clever (+2), Patient (+0), Dishonest (-1)
Description: Marie has long been the darling of the Bourtaigne social scene. Fueled by genuine adoration for her husband, Marie presents a pristine image of her precious children to lords and ladies while challenging her children to greatness.

Diane d’Irène
Traits: Brilliant (+5), Innovative (+3), Proactive (+0), Homosexual (-1)
Description: Diane is a young woman with great potential; many have heard the delightful anecdotes, the stupefying stories of a precocious child. Unfortunately, few have seen her recently, though Marie is quick to assure any inquiring mind that she’s simply very studious.

Elaine d’Irène
Traits: Shy (-1)
Description: Elaine is very quiet, and few have much of an impression of her at all.

History: Extremely proud and very distinguished, the House d’Irène has an illustrious history of knights, able, honest weavers of the finest gowns, diplomats and desirable party guests… assuming you ignore the past century. So let’s not dwell on that. Following Darien d’Irène’s untimely death from infection after falling off his carriage into ‘mud’ while drunk, his young son Nicodème took control of the House. Nicodème, unwilling to bequeath his children the same legacy of humiliation, was ready to lift his family name from disrepute; he and his new bride Marie have worked towards this singular goal every since.

Monterino Rouge.

-

Monterino Rouge is a variety of wine grape produced in the vineyards that surround Monterino. As the name suggests, the wine is a deep red, sometimes appearing purple and is known for its sweetness and fruity notes that regretfully degrade under excessive sun exposure. It is extremely popular amongst the Orlandian nobility and making headway amongst connoisseurs in Clermont due to its popular usage in that province in the production of liturgical wine, indubitably as a result of its colour. The vine is typically less vigorous than more rustic varieties known from Bourtaigne, with smaller leaves than these northern varieties. The grape cluster is small and conico-cylindrical and due to its tightly packed fruits is prone to rot in excessively damp locales. Monterino Rouge is also sensitive to mundane wind and frost, cropping levels (it must be low yielding for production of quality wines), soil types, pruning methods, aetheric winds and the geomantic auspices. In the winery it is sensitive to fermentation methods, yeast strains, alchemic reagents and is highly reflective of its terroir with different regions producing very different wines. For these reasons it is mainly produced in Orlandy and around Monterino in particular whose lands are particularly favourable for this variety both in terms of climate and in the configuration of ley-lines.

With regards to pairings, Monterino Rouge is a very bold and assertive red wine that has potential to overwhelm light and delicate dishes. The wine's high tannin content as well as the oak influences and high alcohol levels associated with this vintage play important roles in influencing how well the wine matches with different foods. When young, all those elements are at their peak, but as the wine ages these influence mellow and possibilities for different food pairings open up. Monterino Rouge with high alcohol levels do not pair well with spicy foods due to hotness levels of spices being enhanced by the alcohol with the heat accentuating the bitterness of the tannins. Milder spices, such as black pepper from the east, pair better due to their ability to minimize the perception of tannins—such as in the classic pairing of the wine with steak au poivre.

Fats and proteins reduce the perception of tannins on the palate. When Monterino Rouge is paired with steak or dishes with a heavy cream based sauces, the tannins are neutralized, allowing the fruits of the wine to be more noticeable. In contrast pasta based dishes in the Ezian style or risottos will have a minimal effect. The bitterness of the tannins can also be counterbalanced by the use of bitter foods or with cooking methods that involve charring, such as grilling meat. As the wine ages and the tannins lessen, more subtle and less bitter dishes will pair better with this wine. The oak influences of the wine can be matched with cooking methods that have similar influences on the food-such as grilling, smoking or plank roasting. Dishes that include oak-influenced flavors and aromas normally found in Monterino Rouge—such as dill weed are also acceptable.

This story happened a long time ago in the land that is now known as Francpais which was once known as Chechers and Chern but back then was known as something else entirely. This other name is so long dead and forgotten that it can only be known by its absence.

In any case, in those long ago days, there was a bear the size of a mountain. This bear would with his every move set the land to shaking, the trees to quaking, the bells to ringing... and before long the towns would fall down, the rivers would change course and new hills would form in the bears wake. The people cursed the bear and wished it dead. So they prayed and prayed to anyone who would listen to end their troubles.

Someone did. That woman was the first de Medvedev. She had heard the people's prayers on the night. This children is how we know that dark magic has always run through our veins.

You might ask what was her name? We do not know that too is lost to the night. But we call her the First for she was the first of us and to this day she is the first among us. None of us over these long years have ever bested her achievements. What might you ask do we know? Well we know one thing for certain... we know how she defeated the bear!

It must be said, that the First was not the first on the scene! Oh no, others had come in their hundreds and their thousands year after year, century after century. They had all failed. For what can a sword do to a mountain? What can a spear do? What can an arrow? Nothing. These others all failed. Most died. Those who didn't had nothing to do but drink and tell tales. Well the First she listened to these tales and she heard of their failures. These she would not repeat. She also asked questions of the bear.

Did the great bear sleep? Yes, they said. But only at night. He has no need to hibernate for he is so warm under his fur thick as a forest.

Why did the great bear move? Nobody knew.

Did it eat? Yes, they said. What she asked? The great black fish that arrived in the summer and left in the winter. That was no help for it was winter when she arrived. But someone said the bear does eat in winter. He raids the hives for their honey!

At this the First laughed. She had a plan.

That night she began to steal all the honey she could under cover of magic. She hid the honey in great earthen jugs in the deepest cave she could find. The bears nose was keen but even he could not smell honey hidden so well. Once she had stolen all the honey she added a magic powder to each of the earthen jugs. This magic powder turned the jugs into alcohol. Taking a drop to her lips the First let out a satisfied sound. Taking another drop she let out a belch. And after the third such drop she settled into sleep. She woke two weeks later and knowing her brew to be good she set about finishing her plan.

First she dragged the earthen jugs to an uninhabited place. Then she opened their lids. She now waited with a jug of water in front of her. She watched the water to monitor the bears approach. With each step closer, the water rippled more. Until as the bear appeared into view, the jug was empty. The mead meanwhile thick as treacle did not move at all. The First watched as the bear drunk and drunk and drunk until there was nothing left. Then she watched as the bear started to sway on its feet. For even a bear the size of a mountain would have been affected by so much mead. Soon the bear quietened and stretched out. It lay its great head down, licked its muzzle for the last drop and with a wrinkle of its nose fell asleep at the feet of the First.

The First could have killed it. The bear was asleep. It could not have resisted. But she took pity on the bear and took as a proof she had killed the bear only one of its claws. This sounds a small task, I know, but it took her three weeks to cut through it with a saw. When she had finished, she used magical to conceal the bear. The land around the bear and the bear itself were shrouded in darkness. With time, the enchantment faded but the bear, which had no moved on muscle, was soon covered by the forests.

The bear is still there today. Still sleeping. You sound surprised? You shouldn't be. You know exactly which mountain is actually a bear. It's the one mountain in Francpais where the snow doesn't sit in winter. Why, you ask? Because the bear is still alive and his body warmth melts the snow. If you look hard enough you will even be able to see his head.

That is the story of the bear the size of a mountain.

Last edited:
Siege

Six months ago:

Galahad sighed. The Baron Phillippe was surrounding the abbey of Pentherve with sixty chevaliers, with every intent of sacking the place and quite possibly butchering those inside (or worse). One of those people being his sister. The situation had escalated because when the Baron heard there was a beautiful peasant being married, he arrived to claim his right of the first night. The abbess has promptly barricaded the doors proclaiming that no bride will be made a whore in her presence and carried on with the ceremony. Phillippe became intent on claiming his due and the abbess’ head to boot. By now, the siege had gone on for a week. And Galahad had sent his men to interfere.

Phillippe walked in with powerful, confident steps. He dominates the room, as always.

“I assume you know why I am here,” Phillippe said dispensing with pleasantries.

“Since you see fit to get to the point, I will too. My sister is in the abbey and the abbess is a family friend.”

“Your sister was given a chance to leave and refused to do so. She has made her bed and she will lie on it. And the abbess has clearly gone mad, overstepping her bounds. She cannot be allowed to think this is acceptable.”

“Nevertheless I cannot allow you to do this.”

“You think you can tell me what to do? ” Phillippe is on the edge of rage, Galahad can feel it. One wrong move and there would be blood. If Galahad were a proper chevalier and not just a mage pretending to be one he might say something like “I am not telling you what to do I am telling you what I will do” there would be blood. It’d be a fight Galahad could win and most of his vassals would be behind him, but fighting with one’s vassals was always a messy business regardless of casus belli.

Galahad decides to take a different tack.

“Let us review the facts. One, the abbey of Pentherve is not your land, it is mine. By stationing troops there, you have in effect declared war on me, your Liege lord. Two, your actions threaten my sister’s life and her virtue, and by all the laws and customs of Pentherve, I would be well within my rights to run you through and seize your property for that. Three, the married couple’s first night has passed, you have in effect lost all claim. In light of these facts, you are standing on very thin ice,” Galahad speaks very clearly, keeping his anger corralled deep in his core, only letting a little show through his facade to make the baron realize how much trouble he was in.

“That matters not” Phillippe says but Galahad can hear the tremble in the man’s voice. Phillippe is a chevalier through and through. He wanted the woman because she was beautiful and the legal justification was an after the fact excuse for the fact that he wanted her and could take her. Phillippe has no real desire for a fight, but as a chevalier he could not back down from a challenge such as this; however, Phillippe was not stupid either. He knows Galahad can destroy him. He knows Galahad has ample ground to do so. Not for the last time Galahad cursed the irrationality of a chevalier. Phillippe would choose suicide over looking weak and his whole damned kind would make the choice from the least hedge knight to Gaston.

Why couldn’t this be easy, between the murderous forest and the damn privateers his problems were mounting and now this. He just wished ruling the ducdom of Pentherve would feel less like eternally putting out fires for once.

Galahad takes a deep breath, and offers his vassal a tiny fig leaf.

“I have written to the Archbishop of Pentherve. He is coming to mediate this” Galahad finally said.

“The Archbishop? He has no authority in this matter!” Phillippe snaps immediately.

Galahad merely smiles, a polite chilly smile reminding Phillippe that he was speaking to Galahad Du Luc, descendent of Lancelot, and a force to be reckoned with in his own right. Phillippe could either take his fig leaf or go to hell.

“Very well,” Phillippe says, defeated, knowing he would be lucky to get anything from the Archbishop but realizing every alternative was worse.

“You will also no longer harass those entering and leaving the abbey for any reason, if I hear one word of your men accosting visitors, I will throw them in jail.”

“Very well, sir,” the Baron said through gritted teeth, and he leaves the room.

Galahad collapses on his chair in boneless exhaustion, and groaned thinking about the next steps. This solution while the most diplomatic would also cause the rivalry between the Archbishop of Pentherve and the Abbey to flare up. He rubbed his temples as he filed this under “Not my problem” a list that was distressingly short, and one he was only happy to add too.

Siege Part 2

Eleanor had been kneeling in front of the altar for hours making prayers in penance to God.

The Archbishop entered the abbey as if to answer her pleas. The sisters gathered to hear the outcome of the Archbishop’s judgment on the matter with bated breath. The conditions Galahad had placed on the baron meant that supplies came in and out regularly but the sisters were still fearful of leaving the protection of the abbey when surrounded by hostile armed men.

The Archbishop brought out a piece of paper and said, “After many days of deliberation, here are my thoughts on the matter: First, the husband and wife disobeyed their feudal contract by marrying off of their Lord’s property. Second, that the Baron’s siege of the Abbey was not a proportionate response and disrespected his liege lord and the Church, further compounded by the fact that the lord’s sister was in the Abbey. Whatever his intention with his subjects, he overstepped his boundaries in a grievous manner. Therefore, I render this judgement; In order to reparate the harm to the Abbey and to the Duc, Baron Phillippe shall pay two thousand florins. As to the Abbey, the power to perform the Ceremony of Marriage was never one acknowledged to it by the Church, and it is clear from this trespass on the Baron’s prerogative, that it is a power the Church should not tolerate for this Abbey to claim.”

The Archbishop spoke, careful to avoid the thorny question of droit de cuissage. The Church’s official position on the matter was utter silence. Most of the lay clergy were peasants - there were simply not enough nobles willing to join the Church for there to be one in each parish, and they despised the practice. The Church simply could not afford to reconcile it with their official doctrine on the sanctity of marriage without utterly destroying the Church’s spiritual and moral legitimacy. However, taking a position against the practice would put the Church at odds with powerful men.

A quiet murmur went through the crowd. Losing the right to wed was a serious blow and while the money was not unwelcome, this fight had not been about the money. It had been about what was right, according to every article of faith these nuns believed in. It was Eleanor who spoke, “But what about the husband and wife we wed?”

“In exchange for the Duc’s leniency on the payment, the Baron has agreed to transfer the feudal contract of the couple in question to him. Furthermore, the peasants on the Baron’s land now have the right to wed in the Church in the duc’s land.”

At this news, the abbey cheered. It was not a complete victory, but it was without qualification, a victory.

Blood on the Field of Lilies

The Great Council

Spoiler :

A Hero's Goodbye
Spoiler :
The funeral of the Hero Emperor is the first event that the imperial nobility has been assembled for since his coronation, and it is expected that at least one member of each noble family attends. This will be a good first place to figure out what the mood of the nobility is regarding the current situation. (This is considered a free action. Medium, Appeal, Guile)

Summer 6: The Emperor's funeral was a somber affair, as was to be expected. Despite all the great division within the empire, despite the chaos that existed just outside the church’s walls, the moment reminded everyone just how incredible the Emperor was in bringing together such a motley coalition. Reinhard and Gaston were both openly crying; one had lost a brother, the other a son. Cardinal Fleury’s voice was shaky as he delivered the sermon, thankful that the Savior had sent someone to deliver Taliese from the Tyrant’s evil. Achille L'Écuyer’s poem reduced many in the audience to tears. Princess Riliane stared at the coffin with a look of longing and sadness; her entire childhood, she thought she had no father, but when she finally met him he was incapacitated...so many questions she wanted to ask that would have to wait until she too passed through the Gates. Julianna had an empty look in her eyes, as if her soul had been taken from her body and even Morgana seemed at a loss for what to do. Though he had been nearly comatose for the better part of five years, the fact that he now was well and truly dead shook many to their very core. Prayers were said, and the Emperor was entombed in the Imperial Crypt, with an honor guard standing watch.

At the wake, the mood improved significantly. Old friendships were rekindled with allies that had not been seen since the Emperor’s coronation. Whispered rumors, secrets, and discussion about all things related to the succession ensued; who was voting for whom? Did they really believe that girl was Roland’s daughter? How gauche was it that Gaston put himself forward for the throne? Each attempted to pry news out of others and guarded their own jealousy. Some more successfully than others.

(Quest Completed; results will be PM'd)

The Tournament at Clermont
Spoiler :
What would be a gathering of Taliesean nobility be without a tournament? There will be a joust and a melee to participate in, with a large purse going to the winner of each. Any noble is welcome to participate, and if one wished to make a political statement, they might decide to wear a symbol of their political allegiance. (Martial, Guile, Tournament)

Summer 6: Perhaps the most anticipated event in Clermont was the tournament. Nobles and smallfolk alike looked forward to the event, of fighting, drinking, and politicking. Of course, with the brackets set, many decided to skip the first part of the day; after all, Reinhard and Gaston would not fight until the finale. A fitting end, yes, but many considered the fights leading up to that merely to be unnecessary noise.

The start of the tournament was a melee, to whittle down the field. Many Comtes and Ducs did quite well in the melee, enough to earn a spot in the main tournament. And once the field reached sixteen, that was when the jousts began.

It seemed the first round would go without incident. Gaston and his eldest, Un, defeated two brothers from Clermont, and Guilhèm d’Canard, wearing his own colors, crushed a young chevalier from Orlandy. Achille L'Écuyer, wearing Riliane’s black and gold, surprised many when he was able to unhorse the skilled but elderly, Chevalier Francis de Toursailles (whom, to his credit, took it in good stride).

Many anticipated the match between Reinhard von Ascania, wearing Riliane’s colors, and Deux Ribeau, wearing his father’s; many predicting that Reinhard would humiliate Gaston’s son, and set up a finale where Gaston might get his revenge. But on the first tilt, Reinhard’s horse was unsteady and bucked wildly, and Deux easily knocked off the red haired knight. Many cried foul, that Reinhard’s horse must have been poisoned, but nothing could be proven; the round went to Deux, with Gaston laughing amongst his compatriots.

It significantly put a dampener on the crowd, who had hoped to see Reinhard and Gaston clash in the final round. Tristian Du Luc, wearing Gaston’s color of green, knocked off Lord Montrell of Franchpais, and Ulysse Séverin, wearing the red and black of the Church, defeated the chevalier Robert d’Brune of Bourtaigne. Finally, Gabriel Lumiere, perhaps enraged at what he perceived to be foul play, rode against Gaston’s third son, Trois. With the first tilt, Gabriel’s lance slammed into the boy’s shield, sending him tumbling off his horse. Honoring Riliane by wearing gold and black, the crowd’s interest was piqued once more.

The second round first saw Gaston against Ulysse Séverin, whom he defeated in short order. Ulysse did well-enough, but a master of the lance and a veteran jouster like Gaston was too much to overcome. He did earn a nod and slight smile from Cardinal Fleury, which perhaps was enough for the young lord. Guilhèm then rode against Gaston’s son Un, and, after a few tilts, was able to unhorse Un, who took it in stride.

Next was Tristan against Achille: another joust between partisans of Riliane and Gaston. Both rode with passion, but Tristan was a trained chevalier by birth, and the man he considered a second father was watching. It took two tilts, but Tristan unhorsed the ‘play chevalier’ as he called him. The crowd cheered Tristan’s victory but gave Achille generous applause for his noble effort. The last match of the round was Gabriel and Deux. With hundreds of eyes watching for any sort of cheating, they rode. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary occurred, and Gabriel defeated Deux with one tilt, with a cold look in his eyes.

By the time of the semi-final, the tournament’s crowd had swelled. Many had assumed that Reinhard and Gaston would fight in the finale and that the prior matches would be nothing but filler, fluff to make lesser men feel prideful in themselves. But instead, they were watching new men attempting to make names for themselves. The first semi-final was Gaston against Guilhèm, evenly matched in the first six tilts. Gaston joked after the sixth of the two old men getting tired after six, to which Guilhèm chuckled at; Gaston assured him one way or another, this next one would be the last, and so it was, with Gaston at last unhorsing Guilhèm, who earned thunderous cheers from the crowd.

Next was Tristan and Gabriel. They confronted one another, the former with a courageous roar, the latter with ice in his eyes. Twelve tilts it took, the clashing of the lances going against one another, but in the end, the Dreadknight had defeated the Lion, to great cheer from the Princess’ box, where Gabriel’s daughter Alice cheered and he earned a nod of appreciation from Reinhard.

While the crowd waited for the finale, the third place joust went ahead between Tristan and Guilhèm, which was won by the latter in five tilts. The nobles of Nerlandais cheered their Duc on, and the partisans of Gaston gave applause to the young knight who had worn their master’s colors with distinction.

The finale came down to Gaston and Gabriel; the latter considered perhaps the greatest knight outside of the Hero’s four companions, and the former considered perhaps the greatest within them. Gaston sat in colorful armor accented with jewels and trimmed with gold, waving to the crowd, while Gabriel sat silently, in armor as black as the night sky, the only color coming from a single golden lily attached to his helm to show support to Riliane. The trumpets sounded and they rode, tilt after tilt, neither seeming to have the upper-hand. Gabriel caught Gaston’s shoulder on one tilt, which very nearly unhorsed the Chevalier, were his strike but a hair lower. On the fourteenth tilt, Gaston, at last, knocked down Gabriel, to groans of many in the crowd. Granting his wife the Flowered Crown, as he passed by the booth of the Princess Riliane and Reinhard, he tossed a black funeral lily at her feet, causing an uneasy silence to fall over the crowd.

(Quest Completed. Results: +8 Support for Gaston; Gabriel Lumiere: +6 Renown; Guilhèm Canard: +4 Renown, +Prestige; Tristan Du Luc: +3 Renown; Achille L'Écuyer: +1 Renown; Ulysse Séverin: +1 Renown, +2 Piety)

A Game of Skill
Spoiler :
Aside from the tournament, both Maréchals Reinhard and Gaston have decided they will play a game of Tourmort. Participation is open to all nobles, though joining one side or the other will clearly be a political statement. While it is a bit ah, dangerous, it would be an excellent way to gain their favor. (Hard, Martial)

Summer 6: With Reinhard injured in the tournament, and Gaston pleading exhaustion, it fell to Gabriel Lumiere to lead Riliane’s team and Gaston’s sons to lead their father’s team. The game was close and rather violent, but Gabriel led the black and gold to victory, to the delight of Reinhard. (+3 Support for Riliane, Gabriel Lumiere: +2 Renown)

The Vote
Spoiler :
The Great Council is a gathering of the lords of Taliese, from the Ducs down to the Barons. Nominally, the rules are simple. In the Council, all men are equal in terms of their vote’s worth, and one is not bound to vote with their leige lord: ballots are counted in secret. In addition, all are sworn to obey the results of the Council, whose decisions will become laws of the land. It is intended that the council will officially declare an Emperor or Empress and, if necessary, a regent. The leading candidates are currently Princess Riliane and Maréchal Gaston, but most nobles have not yet decided their vote, perhaps hoping they might receive generous offers for their support. Aside from Riliane or Gaston, a third candidate, such as Laskia or a particularly popular Taliesean noble, could very well emerge as a compromise candidate. The Great Council must approve the new Emperor or Empress with a majority vote, and a vote will be held once per week until a decision is made. A vote for “Undecided” is perfectly valid. (Each family is allowed to send one representative to the Great Council, to vote on the crowning a new monarch for Taliese. This is considered a free action)

Summer 6: After the various events of the Summer, it was at last time for the Great Council to assemble for its nominal purpose; the selection of a new Emperor or Empress. Lords and Ladies shuffled forward, paper in hand, to the ballot box, overseen by Cardinal Fleury and two of his personal guards. It was a silent, dreadful affair lasting nearly an hour before the final vote was cast. In full view of the chamber, one of Cardinal Fleury’s guards began to count each vote aloud.

The final count of the vote was a strong showing for Riliane, who received seventy-five votes; only fourteen shy of total victory. Despite Gaston’s showing in the tournament, he found himself with only twenty-nine votes. Laskia of Pontria did not emerge with any votes; what game was Morgana playing? A new dark horse emerged though: Alduin Montesqieu. Favored perhaps as a more ‘neutral’ option than either Riliane and Gaston, he received twenty-two votes; not a particularly bad showing, all things considered for a man whose name had not even been considered for the throne a few months ago. Meanwhile, fifty-one ballots remained blank or put ‘undecided’.

Many were surprised by the results, anticipating a closer election. And indeed, the outcome of the selection is still up in the air; as the great houses battle for influence, the minor lords shift allegiances to whom they feel will better advance and protect their interests, and with those allegiances comes their votes, their taxes, their support. There is plenty of room for the race to shift, but for now, it seems that Riliane is comfortably in the lead; it would require the anti-Riliane factions to coalesce unto one candidate, and for the undecided votes to break decisively in their favor.

In any case, the future remains undetermined, but for now, there is but one important piece of information: no one sits the Lily Throne.

(Quest continues)

The Council Continues
Spoiler :

A Lord's Lord
Spoiler :
The Camp of Maréchal Gaston has been rather loud in its proclamations and promises; of a new era of chivalry, conquest, and, a new era of no taxation. He has also even proposed greater equality among noble ranks and the expansion of the droit de cuissage It sounds exciting to many, but with the Empire’s debt situation on the verge of collapse, many wonder what it might mean for their own fortunes. It may take some convincing for them to see the wisdom of Gaston’s plan. (Hard, Appeal, Intendance)

A Princess or a Pauper
Spoiler :
The supporters of Gaston have loudly denied Princess Riliane’s heritage, but to many, Reinhard’s word is worth its weight in gold. If there was proof, one way or another, it could decisively be used to settle the question of succession...or it could be manipulated for personal and political gain. There may be clues to be gathered among Reinhard’s documents, but to find the truth, one may have to venture far beyond Clermont… (Hard, Guile)

At a tip of the Sword
Spoiler :
For his part, Gaston feels that sometimes the best way to make a point is with a sword...point. Gaston’s battle prowess is legendary, but it wouldn’t do to have the future Emperor threaten his vassals directly. But if another, suitably intimidating lord were to take his place…(Medium, Martial)

Summer 6: Despite a strong performance in the tournament of Roland’s funeral, Tristan Du Luc was not satisfied with himself and was determined to work on behalf of Gaston’s candidacy. To that end, he found himself intimidating many of Clermont’s minor nobles into meekly agreeing to vote for Gaston. It may not have been the most honorable way to go about things, but one cannot deny it achieved results.

(+5 Support for Gaston; -1 Piety for Tristan)

The Daughter's Birthright
Spoiler :
The Camp of Riliane (some mockingly call it the Camp of Reinhard) has meanwhile focused on the Princess’ descendance from the Hero. It’s a compelling argument to make, but to some, it is falling on deaf ears, unconvinced that a nine year old girl, even with a regent, can rule the Empire. Still if enough major lords throw their weight behind her, and convey that to the host of minor lords, it may swing the difference. (Hard, Appeal, Renown)

Summer 6: After the funeral, Achille was found in nearly every social gathering of nobles in Clermont. He made friends quickly, regaling them with the heroics of Roland and, when the moment was right, implied that Riliane would follow in his footsteps. He painted a picture with words of a golden age of Taliese and found many that were willing to listen and openly promise support for her.

(+4 Support for Riliane)

For Whom the Debt Must be Collected
Spoiler :
Some note that while it is thought Gaston is in debt, it is unclear to what extent and to whom. If it was revealed that he was in debt to some shadier figures or, worse, foreigners, it could see defections from his cause. (Hard, Guile, Intendance)

A Cold and Quiet Dissatisfaction
Spoiler :
Maréchal Juliana’s camp has been unusually quiet about the succession, in contrast to her active involvement in most other imperial affairs. To many it seems almost far-fetched. Getting a straight answer out of her might be impossible, but there must be something, a document, a loose-lipped servant, anything that might give some idea of what she’s doing. But then again, does anyone want to try prying into the affairs of Juliana d'Gournay? (Extreme, Guile)

The Witch's Game
Spoiler :
Maréchal Morgana has, instead of advocating for the woman she had seen fit to crown Empress, has instead spent most of her days in her tower, ruminating on the mysteries of magic. She means well, and when she bothers to talk, speaks about the great world of magic she is working towards. Unfortunately, the Duchies of Montcastel and Franchpais suffer from her neglect. A conversation with her might bear some fruit about her strange position, about her studies, about asking for assistance...or it may be the most socially painful fifteen minutes in one’s entire like (Hard, Appeal, Intendance, Knowledge)

Summer 6: The Witch in the Tower, the Sleeping Witch, the Lazy Sorceress, whatever one wanted to call her was had plenty of callers over the summer. What was discussed, unfortunately, did not leave the cold stone walls of her tower, but it was bound to be of great interest...

The Ambassador
Spoiler :
Meanwhile, the Pontrian ambassador has seen himself accosted and interrogated so much, to the point that he too has taken to locking himself in his rooms for large portions of the day. If he is here to advance the claim of Laskia, he is doing it rather poorly. A friendly chat, or a look into his correspondence, might reveal something about this strange “also-ran” Queen. (Medium, Appeal, Guile)

Summer 6: The Pontrian ambassador too had plenty of visitors. No doubt some interesting conversations were had, but alas, the wider world was not quite privy to such discussions.

A Write-In Candidate
Spoiler :
By nature of the Great Council, it is possible that a completely different solution might be able to emerge, perhaps as a part of a compromise candidate. Perhaps one might even see a regional Duc or a Comte elevated to the imperial throne! But for that to happen, one would need a critical mass of supporters, a good amount of prestige, and perhaps gold to entice the electors. (Very Hard, Gold, Renown, Prestige, Martial, Appeal, Guile)

The Cardinal's Silence

Spoiler :
Despite calling for the Great Council, Cardinal Fleury has not taken a clear side in the matter. As the man holding much of the Empire’s debt though, his support for a candidate could tip the scales. A conversation with him could reveal some of his thoughts on the matter, and if not, it’s said he always at least sets a good table. (Hard, Piety, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

Summer 6: The Cardinal’s visitors were, surprisingly, few. Perhaps that is what he prefers though...

Imperial
Spoiler :

Wines of Taliese
Spoiler :
Wine was once a prized export of Taliese, bringing wealth and prestige to its growers and sellers. Unfortunately, the Hero’s rebellion destroyed many prominent vineyards, and as a result, Taliesean wines have lost out to wines from Ezia. Now, a powerful merchant by the name of Pierre Brejoux desires to reverse this unfortunate trend. He has declared he will host a wine tasting in Clermont in three years time, where Taliesean wines will be pitted against those from Ezia. He has invited figures from all across Magnolia so that they might participate in 'The Judgement of Clermont' and has offered a significant prize to the winning vintage. He has asked the lords of Orlandy, Bourtaigne, and Pentherve to rebuild their vineyards, so that the true superiority of Taliese can once again be recognized. In wine, at least.

Wine and Cheese

As the wine festival continues on, Brejoux has now decided that, along with wine, there must be cheese as well. He has invited families from all duchies that are interested in sustaining a dairy to send their finest cheeses to pair with Taliesean wine. (Medium, Intendance, Alchemy)

The Examinations Begin

The Colleges of Besangueux and Champilême are conducting examinations this winter! They have sent proctors throughout the Empire and will be using scores to determine who is admitted to their institutions. Students are advised to be generally knowledgeable about the broad study of magic, and of their magical field in particular. Students attempting to apply to Champilême will require several tests, multiple written essays, a practical exam, and, most importantly, a dinner with the headmistress (who will be traveling to each duchy as well). For those applying to Besangueux, less prep-work is needed; examinations will purely be practical in nature, though many will appear nonsensical.

(Candidates of school age are encouraged to apply to one, or both, schools (both will require 1 AP each). Recommended attributes: Knowledge. Appeal for Champilême; Magic style’s base attribute for both)

Ruins of Taliese
Spoiler :
Ruins can be found all throughout Taliese, dating back all the way to the First Era. Exploring them might be dangerous, but can result in great treasure...and the more dangerous the ruin, the greater the treasure (Ranging from Easy to Extreme, all traits may be used in exploration)

Last edited:

Update One
Summer, Storm 6
Clermont
Spoiler :

The Lords of Clermont
Spoiler :
The ancient families of Clermont are, in some respects, equal to the Ducs and Comtes of the provinces. Though they lack retuines to call upon, their fortunes are vast, and their prestige is unquestioned. They will have great influence on the selection of the next holder of the Throne of Lilies, so it may be a good idea to build up ties with them. (Medium, Appeal)

Summer 6: As of late, due to his performance at the Tournament, Clermont’s opinion has shifted primarily towards Gaston though, as with many things in Clermont, it could change in a moment’s notice.

The Imperial Chevaliers
Spoiler :
The Imperial Chevaliers are perhaps the greatest warriors in all of Magnolia. Trained in sword, spell, and lance, they are always looking to further hone their skills. They’re more than happy to train with lords and ladies, and if one were to prove themselves to them, their respect could be earned. (Medium, Martial. Results and rewards may vary).

The Imperial Chancellerie
Spoiler :
The Imperial Chancellerie is a massive, sprawling institution in Clermont filled with all sorts of mages dedicated to running all aspects of the Empire. Although its mages are technically noble, they are of the lowest rank and dream of patronage from the wealthier lords and ladies. They could be useful allies to have. (Medium, Appeal, Guile)

The Bards of Clermont
Spoiler :
The bards of Clermont are excellent musicians, yes, but they are also trained spies, assassins, and seducers. During the reign of Emperor Valerian, the bards experienced a golden age with “The Game” being played at the Tyrant’s court, but saw a slowdown during Emperor Roland’s reign. Now though with his death, the bards are preparing for a new era that will make Valerian’s rule look calm in comparison. One should move quickly to ensure that they can secure the service of the best of the best. (Medium, Guile, Gold)

Montcastel
Spoiler :

The roads have eyes, ears, blades, and tolls
Spoiler :
Montcastel is filled with veterans of raids and wars, which makes them a hardy people used to violence. It is useful when the Duc of Montcastel needs soldiers to fight; less so when he no longer needs them, for too often they turn to banditry. The roads are now unsafe, with powerful bandit clans controlling key sections of the roads that connect Montcastel to the riverlands. Destroying these bandits would be an excellent start to revitalizing the region. (Medium, Martial)

Summer 6: The forces of House Lumiere quickly went to work against the bandits. Led by Victor Lumiere, the first order of business was ensuring the roads were clear and that basing near them became untenable. Most of the bandits were unprepared for the magical firepower arrayed against them, fleeing in terror from the ice and flames. By the end of summer, Montcastellan roads were (relatively) safe from organized bandit raids, with merchant caravans now dealing more with stray highwaymen and beasts that lurk nearby.

(Quest Completed: Victor +1 Renown, +5 Prosperity for Montcastel, House Lumiere: -10 Gold)

The Bandit King
Summer 6: With the small bandit clans no longer being viable, their former members have had two choices: turn to small time crime, or band together in a force that couldn’t be mopped up without serious effort. And there’s a growing trend towards the latter option, rallying around the twin blade warrior, Axel La Flamme. A powerful elemental mage who had found favor in the time of the tyrant, he is allegedly helped by a powerful seeress, who is said to be able to use ritual magic to see futures play out. He has attracted a large following due to his rather impressive power, and invites anyone to fight him if they wish to take leadership of the Clan. None have succeeded so far, and many are hailing him as ‘The Bandit King’. So far, they have not made any aggressive moves towards Montcastel, but are instead building up defenses at an ancient fortress, but these bandits could very well be a force far greater than the small clans. An expedition against the bandits would be costly, particularly if one were to attempt to campaign in Winter. A brave man might attempt to fight La Flamme one on one, but he was once a member of the Tyrant’s elite chevaliers: even Reinhard and Gaston would struggle to defeat him. Perhaps though, it might be easier to let La Flamme live in peace, and perhaps give him his fortress (along with lands and tribute) in hopes that he turns his strength against Pontria or Guadix.

(Quest Difficulty: Very Hard to Extreme, Martial; Alternative Quest Difficulty: Very Easy, Appeal)

Of Gourlois and Men
Spoiler :
Much more dangerous than your average bandit though are the Gourlois. Fiercely independent, these hill tribes have taken over many of the peripheral settlements of Montcastel and have conducted raids deep within the duchy. While they were always known to be powerful warriors, as of late it seems that they have become a much more dangerous opponent. Their weapons and armor have improved, as have their tactics and magic. The Gourlois barbarians are surely too primitive to have come up with this on their own. It might be wise to ascertain where this help is coming from before attempting to attack them. (Hard, Guile)

Summer 6: While the Lumiere dealt with the bandits, it fell to House Cumilt and Lefrebvre to confront the Gourlois. From Clermont, Cecilia Cumilt and a contingent of Ritual Mages were responsible for scrying out Gourlois camps, but it proved to be difficult; magic she was unfamiliar with countered her spells and shrouded many areas of the mountain; she was able to approximate roughly where the camps were based on the locations of the magical fog, but could not discover their exact location, nor their numbers. With his wife’s information, Marquis Naevus led a force of Lefrebvrean Shadows along with his own battle mages and infantry to scout out the areas where the Gourlois camps were believed to be. Unfortunately, the Gourlois were prepared with an ambush, killing several Montcastellan soldiers. It was here where some of the success of the Gourlois had become clear: in their ranks was a hagraven with significant magical abilities. She disposed of several of the Shadows and the battle mages, and even wounded Marquis Naevus. Still, Montcastellan discipline held, and Naevus had the numbers to force the Gourlois to retreat. Carried by his men, Naevus was able to personally inspect the remains of a Gourlois camp that had been burned during their flight from the mountain but found little in the way of how the Gourlois came into possession of steel weapons and armor. Careful investigation (or capturing an intact camp) will be needed to solve the matter.

(Quest Progress: 60% Naevus +Trait Wounded, House Cuimilt -20 gold, House Lefrebvre -10 gold)

Defending Montcastel

Summer 6: Now that we know the Gourlois have the assistance of Hagravens, it is time to consider the threat on par with the Pontrians and the Kolpchekians. The remote villages of Montcastel, miles from any lord’s castle, are particularly exposed, and there are three realistic options. The first is moving the people closer to fortified towns and castles, as Hagraven magic, while strong, is not particularly suited to castles. However, abandoning the villages could hamper trade and taxation, plus put undue burdens on Montcastel’s towns. The second option is that we fortify the towns, building up walls and increasing patrols in the region; it would likely benefit the region in the long-term, but there’s no doubt it’d be difficult to manage and quite expensive to boot. The final option is that a series of punitive expeditions be lead against the Gourlous, in hopes of convincing them that the towns are not worth attacking. While straightforward, it runs the risk of severe casualties and if it goes poorly, the Gourlois may feel emboldened to raid even further. (Very Hard, Gold, Martial, Intendance)

Riches of Montcastel
Spoiler :
At one time, the mines of Montcastel brought incredible wealth to the duchy, filling the treasury with gold and precious gems. If Montcastel could reopen the mines, it would go a long way to revitalizing the region. Unfortunately, the bandits are the least of their worries; in the mines they say lurks beasts of great and terrible power. They will need to be dealt with before any revitalization of Montcastel can begin. (Very Hard, Martial)

A Loving Home
Spoiler :
Montcastel’s orphanages are, unfortunately, rather crowded. And, so long as the bandits have free reign over the duchy, the numbers of orphans will only increase. Unfortunately, their resources are already strained to their breaking point; if a wealthy benefactor does not step in soon, many Montcastelian children will need to grow up quicker than they should... (Very Easy, Appeal, Guile, Intendance)

Summer 6: Though things seemed dire, the orphans of Montcastel were thankfully saved by the generosity of one of Montcastel’s leading families, the House of Cuimilt. It is expected that soon these orphans will have incredible lives with loving homes, caring guardians, and nothing bad will ever, ever, ever happen to them again.

(Quest completed).

Franchpais
Spoiler :

Raids from the North
Spoiler :
The Knyazhestvo of Kolpchek has never had good relations with Taliese, especially with the imperial conquest of Franchpais. But as of late, the raids have grown in both number and audacity, abducting women and children as slaves while burning the towns and killing the men-folk. Something must be done, or the entire region will fall into chaos! (Hard, Martial)

Summer 6: House Séverin eagerly set to the task of securing the borders. Duchesse Zénaïde’s plan was to build a series of defenses to deter Kolpchekian aggression. Donatain was chosen to oversee the construction due to his talent for construction and architecture. His obsessive nature was, thankfully, an asset, as he planned out an entire series of small defensive posts that covered nearly every inch of the Kolpchekian border. While it was expensive, as Donatain did not leave a single stretch unwatched, it became a useful early warning system for the towns on the border. However, if the raids are to subside completely, troops will need to be committed and the watchposts will need to be built up into proper castles and forts, and troops will need to be committed to watch those forts. (Quest ongoing: Hard, Martial, Intendance)

(House Séverin: -20 Gold, +3 prosperity for Franchpais)

While his brother worked on securing the fortifications, Ulysse Séverin had the task of rallying knights and other warriors to the cause of Franchpais, but to little success. The Chevaliers and other great warriors of the realm are far more interested in the matters of the succession. House Séverin recruited some light infantry, but little else (+2 Light Infantry added to levies)

Spy Games
Spoiler :
One thing that has been noticed about the Kolpchekian raids is how...easily they are performed. The villages they hit are always unguarded; raids on imperial outposts are done when they are at their weakest; the carts carrying Franchpais’ taxes are, without fail, plundered. It’s as if they have eyes and ears everywhere...and they probably do, considering how the land used to be a part of Kolpchek. It might be impossible to root out every Kolpchekian spy, but it’s possible that those at the top can be tracked down and eliminated...or put to other use (Medium, Guile)

Summer 6: It was perhaps ill-fate that Kolpchek’s espionage target was the home of House Verniseul, considered the finest agents of the Empire. Constance Verniseul, with some assistance from Romaine Séverin quickly went to work in identifying the top Kolpchekian spies. They were often embedded as low and mid-level bureaucrats who had access to some sensitive information and, once a few public ‘examples’ were made, most were willing to cooperate. Lady Verniseul learned that the Kolpchekian spy network was rather decentralized, so it would be near impossible to root out completely, and the public execution of some of the spies prevented Lady Verniseul from using them against the Kolpchekians, with the Kynaz washing his hands of them. Raids are still happening yes, but at a lower scale and with less effectiveness; not ideal, but a situation that Franchpais might be able to live with for the time being.

(Quest completed with mixed results; Kolpchekian Threat set to 25; Constance Verniseul (25% to next level of Guile); Romaine Séverin: +1 Guile)

The Purge

Summer 6: Chekians do not have an easy life under Taliesian rul by any means. But there are some few that have made a living, a good living, by being the ‘dogs’ of the empire; tax collectors, sheriffs (or their deputies), minor bureaucrats. That it was among these Chekians that the Kolpchekian Kynaz found his spies is rather...discomforting. Now there is a question of what to do with the Chekians embedded in the duchy’s bureaucracy. There are some who feel that just because a few Chekians among them were found to be spies does not mean they all will be, and that due diligence must be performed before accusing anyone of being a spy. But others say that it’s better to be safe than sorry, and hardlines say that dead men tell no tales…(Very Hard, Guile OR Easy, Martial)

The Chekian Rite
Spoiler :
As part of concessions to the Cheks of Franchpais, it was agreed that the Chekian rite would be respected in Franchpais, allowing a communion with the Church in Kolpchek. This is not something that pleases Cardinal Fleury, who is determined to regain control of the region’s dioceses. However, greater imperial control could upset the fragile, hard won peace. A compromise seems unlikely at this point in time. (Hard, Appeal, Knowledge)

The Frog Princess
Spoiler :
There has been a disturbing rumor in the villages of Franchpais as of late. If one listens to peasants, they say that deep in the bogs there is a frog that can talk. That in itself is not necessarily strange; talking animals, though not rare per say, are certainly uncommon. But what the frog claims is. The frog claims that she is a powerful sorceress, who finds herself in this unfortunate state due to an experiment gone terribly wrong. If one could reverse the terrible state she is in, she would be forever in their debt, though only a powerful wizard would be suitable for the tasks needed to free her. (Hard, multiple attributes required, multiple part quest)

Bourtaigne
Spoiler :

Men of Glory and Men of Gold
Spoiler :
Bourtaigne has long prided itself on its chivalric tradition, rivaling even Pentherve. But the cities of Bourtaigne have grown significantly in the past ten years, and though they are not at the level of Clermont or even Orlandy, bourgeois culture has flourished in the region. It has brought some prestige to the region, but also tension between the magical aristocracy and the non-magical bourgeois. Which culture will define the future of Bourtaigne? (Medium, Renown, Prestige, Appeal)

The Fourth Bridge
Spoiler :
The fourth bridge of the town of Pitre is said to host all manners of secrets, avoided by both man and child in fear of what lies beneath: a troll. No one has ever seen it, but it has been rumored to be living beneath that bridge ever since Pitre was founded. If true, the troll may have all sorts of secrets and knowledge to trade...though they are notoriously unhelpful towards humans. Alternatively, slaying the troll could bring one great fame. (Hard, Martial, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

A Dalliance with Danger
Spoiler :
Experiments at the Académie de Besangueux have always been...strange, bordering on dangerous. But the recent ones have been pushing boundaries beyond what many think is safe. Recently, the Academy has been attempting to contact river nymphs in the Sornel, in hopes they might reveal a magic completely different from humans. While nymphs are not known to be particularly malicious, and indeed, they’ve been known to be helpful on occasion, tampering with such forces can be...rather dangerous. Still, if you listen to those at Besangueux, they will tell you the reward far outweighs the risk…and they may be right. (Very Hard, Appeal, Knowledge)

Wines of Bourtaigne
Spoiler :
Bourtaigne was once home to some of Magnolia’s most innovative vineyards, who were constantly pushing new ideas and flavors. Unfortunately, the war and neglect of the past few years have put many of them to ruin. If one were to take the time to reconstruct the vineyards to take part in ‘The Judgement of Clermont’, it could bring great wealth to the duchy and the family who sponsored a winning vintage. (Medium, Alchemy, Intendance, Knowledge)

Coaxed from her wanderings, Diane D’Irene became fascinated by her new project, the restoration of Chateaux Antoine. With a firm hand and a familial gold at her disposal, Diane used a variety of new farming techniques from Ezia and the north to improve yields and the richness of the soil. She also experimented with infusions of fruit preserves within the wine, bringing back Bourtaigne’s time honored tradition of unique wine flavors; she was particularly proud of a plum wine. Many of her test subjects have praised the wine, and are confident that the Irene family’s fortunes will soon be improved by its future mistress.

(Diane D’Irene: +1 Intendancy. Vineyard Level set to 12. -20 Gold. Bourtaigne: +5 Prosperity Bourtaigne. +2 Stability)

The D’Antan family was also invested in the resurrection of their vineyards, particularly in their formerly legendary ‘noble rot’ wines. However, they did not choose to spend nearly as many resources nor direct overseeing of the vineyards, instead relegating the task to a steward. Juliette left some instructions for them though, and by the end of summer were able to set up the vineyard and plant a crop, though improvements will require direct oversight.

(D’Antan vineyard level set to 2)

Orlandy
Spoiler :

Hide and Seek
Spoiler :
Disappearances in Orlandy are rather common for the most part. Unlike much of the Empire, laws in Orlandy that tie the peasantry to the land or their masters are minimal. It has mostly been a boon, but oftentimes these migrants lose contact with their families. Most of the time, it’s a miscommunication and they are able to reunite come winter time. But as of late, there have been numerous disappearances, particularly of young men. Some suspect they have been captured and sold into slavery, others wonder if they may have been pressed into banditry, or worse. Investigating could please the peasantry, especially if these young men can be returned home. But at the same time, do you really, really want to really investigate that? (Hard, Guile)

A Purple Bloodline
Spoiler :
Orlandy has always been known for being a trendsetter in culture, even if they might be more bourgeois than the other duchies. But between the parties, the fashions, and patronage, many Orlandian nobles find themselves deep in debt. Some have taken the audacious step of marrying particularly wealthy commoners to deal with their financial issues. While some families argue it’s no one's business but their own on who they marry (and they’ll thank you kindly to stay out of the matter), it is becoming an embarrassment for the duchy: there are now no less than three baronesses now of common blood! Particularly harsh actions might alienate the powerful mercantile families in Orlandy, but at this rate, an entire generation of Orlandian mages might become weaker due to the dilution in their blood. (Hard, Appeal, Intendance)

Summer 6: With news of the Emperor’s death coming to Orlandy, Alduin saw it both as a tragic event, and an opportunity to deal with the long-simmering problem of noble debt. The decree discouraged displays of celebration, ruling that the lavish parties of Orlandy were inappropriate so soon after the Emperor’s death. It was hoped that the Orlandian nobles would become less spend-happy. Instead as this decree came, many Orlandian nobles silently fumed. Some felt that this was a rather strong overreach, with wealthy commoners particularly fuming. Still, Alduin was well-liked among the nobles and they were initially willing to follow along with his decree. But the marriage of Valerian de Montesqieu eroded the benefit of the doubt for the decree, with many feeling that the exception carved out for weddings was specifically made for this occasion. Many seethed at the ‘arrogant’ attitude displayed by House Montesqieu, and vowed that they would not be cowed.

In this climate of austerity and anger, a flower emerged: Estelle DeCroy. She arrived in Orlandy, preceded by bards who spoke of her virtues, and when she arrived at her first social event (a sermon at the Cathedral of Monterino), she was found to be charming and cultured (even for a Marcher). There were some scruples among the more ancient houses, namely the prestige of the Croy family, the fact that Estelle wanted a husband to take her own name, and of course the fact that she was a Marcher. But in the end, Estelle was a noble of standing, and with a rich dowry, she was able to marry the scion of a prominent Orlandian house. They gave the happy couple a few minor estates to run, and helped introduce Estelle to some important connections among the barons of the region who felt alienated by Alduin. They, in turn, shifted their support from the Duc to her, and by proxy, her brother. Meanwhile, the festivals being held by House Abbandonato, with plenty of wine, art, and partying going on, have blatantly flown in the face of Alduin’s decree, causing a loss of face among his nobles. All things considered, the decree has been a disaster for House Montesqieu, with nobles and commoners feeling some resentment. The only consolation coming from the Church, who mostly approved of Duc Alduin’s decree. In any case, House Montesqieu will need to do a good amount of diplomatic legwork if they are to retain their position in Orlandy.

(Regional Quest completed with mixed results. Orlandy: +5 Prosperity. House Croy +5% influence, -10% Prestige, -50 gold; House Abbandonato: +2% influence; House Montesqieu: -6% influence; House Lectulo: -1% influence; Alduin Montesqieu: +3 Piety,)

Uninvited Guests
Spoiler :
Orlandy is, for the most part, safe, particularly in the south. However, in the north, Orlandy shares a border with Montcastel, and the native Gourlois have been encroaching on Orlandian territory. If the situation is not dealt with quickly and decisively, the Gourlois may begin raiding into the Orlandian plains. It may be beneficial to either lead an expedition into the mountains, or to reconstruct some of the forts that have fallen into disuse. (Medium, Martial, Intendance)

Summer 6: Upon the request of Duc Alduin, the Abbandonato family agreed to take on the defense of the duchy against the Gourlois raiders. And among them, Giovanni Abbandonato was the most capable member of the family (he would say only member) to take on the task. Due to the small number of soldiers at his command, he decided his best course of action would be to lure the Gourlois into a trap and deliver them a decisive blow. He put together what seemed to be a well-provisioned but poorly protected merchant caravan in full view of suspected Gourlois mountain camps. Sure enough, they took the bait; that very evening, they advanced upon the caravan, prepared to loot the wagons and kill any of the merchants. But instead, the caravan was strangely abandoned. Before they knew it, Abbandonato pikemen, hidden by dark magic used by the shadow walkers, emerged and attacked the Gourlois. The Gourlois were completely surprised and were slaughtered, with a few being taken prisoner (whom, in captivity, bit their own tongues off and died choking on their blood). The victory over one raiding party was not enough of course to end the problem, but it gave Giovanni enough breathing room to begin construction of several fort in the hills; he even had the aid of additional Montesqieu infantry and battle mages to defend them. As summer ended, Giovanni was mostly confident that the Gourlois had been checked; they might sneak in a tiny raiding party, and they would surely overwhelm his defenses if they came as an army, but the issue of the large raids of some two dozen were likely at an end, so long as the forts would be maintained. A decisive blow to the Gourlois would require an expedition into the mountains, but Giovanni regarded that idea, particularly with the forces he had under his command, as suicidal.

(Quest completed with mixed results: Abbandanato: +2% influence in Orlandy, -30 gold, +5 stability. Gourlois threat set to 5; House Lectulo: -2% influence in Orlandy)

The Most Noble House of Albizzi

The Albizzi family was once one of the most powerful families in Ezia, owning banks, fleets of ships, and vast estates. Their family counted among their ranks some of the highest church officials: even Primarchs have come from the Albizzi family! But now, they are on the downswing, defeated at home by their rivals and forced into exile. Their assets are mostly gone, aside from what they could carry, but they still have their magic, their knowledge, and their pride. They have arrived in Orlandy and are paying visits to the courts of Lectulo, Abbandonato, Estelle Croy, and Montesqieu asking for land to purchase and opportunity to help make their new protector’s domains prosper. They have promised they are not targets of the Uccidere, and that their enemies in Ezia will not be causing trouble so long as they stay in Orlandy. The Albizzi will likely be a boon to any family willing to work with them, but will likely be far more dangerous than a run of the mill baron. (Easy, Appeal)

The Anguish of Lady Fiammetta

Maria Fiammetta is the bastard daughter of an Ezian Prince, living in comfortable exile in Orlandy. She has everything she might ever want; a fortune beyond compare, powerful elemental magic, and a passionate and faithful lover. But as of late, the last bit has increasingly been tested. The man she loves is a merchant who often spends months abroad. She has heard terrible rumors that he is not being faithful to her, that he has another woman in each city that he visits. The very thought makes her blood boil, and so she has sent out a request for someone to expose him for the cheat that he is and to then ensure he receives his just desserts. (Hard, Guile)

The Vineyards of Orlandy

Spoiler :
Orlandy was once home to some of Magnolia’s richest vineyards, with its rich soil and moderate climate. Unfortunately, war and neglect have put many of them to ruin. If one were to take the time to reconstruct the vineyards to take part in ‘The Judgement of Clermont’, it could bring great wealth to the duchy and the family who sponsored a winning vintage. (Medium, Alchemy, Intendance, Knowledge)

Summer 6: The Montesqieu family could not be accused of neglecting the prestige of Orlandy by any means. Though not an alchemist himself, before he left for Clermont, Alduin and a cohort of mages cast a ritual designed to improve the quality of the soil, the effects of which could not be immediately determined. After the ritual, it was left to his wife, Serana to oversee the continued construction of the vineyards but alas, it was a task ill-suited for her. By the end of summer, the grape crop had improved slightly, but it was not ready to face ‘the Judgement of Clermont’. (Quest in Progress: Vineyard Quality set to 3)

Meanwhile, Cuscino Lectulo took a different approach, deciding he wanted to focus on a wine that had the benefit of helping one’s health. He was rather adept at the establishment of the vineyard, ensuring the plants had enough room to grow and that the soil was nutritious, and from there he began his experiments. As a trained alchemist, he was used to experimenting with different ingredients in hopes of creating the right mix, but when he invited his battle mages in, they were more than a little lost. Untrained in potion making, they attempted to use their magic to help, but often with disastrous results. But one experiment became successful, after setting the wine cellar on fire, namely, setting the wine on fire. While generally, wine on fire is not a particularly pleasant drink, Cuscino’s particular blend tasted slightly sweet (unlike what Orlandian wines are known for) and several of the mages reportedly felt much stronger after they drank it. As a side effect though, those mages were incredibly drunk. It might take some time until the wine is perfected, but the Lectulo family is quite proud of their fire wine. (Quest in Progress: Vineyard Quality set to 8)

Nerlandais
Spoiler :

Levees of Nerlandais
Spoiler :
In Nerlandais, legal obligations to stay on the land are rather weak, allowing many to leave for towns all across the duchy or even across the empire. The benefits have been rather positive for the most part, creating a wealthier duchy as a whole, but there have been some significant drawbacks: it is quite difficult for the lords to ensure they have a properly trained levy for service in war. While this might be fine in Orlandy, it is unacceptable in Nerlandais due to the hostile Marchers across the border. But what to do about the situation has eluded its rulers since its conquest. Do they take away free movement and create an angry, impoverished populace? Or do they rely on mercenaries and chevaliers, and simply pray the Marchers never march as one? (Hard, Martial, Intendance)

Summer 6: The Croys, Thurian in origin, seemed not the least bit frightened of the Marcher incursions. Using trade contacts to gain an introduction, the Croys offered Marcher lords a proposal: why fight the Croys when you could fight for them, and get paid just the same? Gustave Croy would negotiate directly with the Marcher lords, primarily from the western region known as Grenzia, and, once the contract was signed, the raids began to cease. At least, the raids on Croy lands. It has been a drain on the Croy treasury, but all in all, it has helped ensure a semblance of security for their subjects and their levies.

(Quest Completed: House Croy: +2 Stability, +3 Grenzers, -10 gold; Region Nerlandais: +5 Prosperity)

Note: Quest remains active for Houses Canard, Maximilien

Wars of Silver and Gold
Spoiler :
Freihandlers from the Marches are doing a thriving business in Nerlandais. Luxuries from the Eastern continent, sturdier goods from the Free Marches, and even services like financing and loans are all coming to Nerlandais. Local merchants are complaining, and demanding privileges, protections, monopolies, even expelling the Freihandlers! Meanwhile, the Freihandlers simply point out that they pay all the necessary taxes, and that the taxes they pay are quite significant. Whatever is decided, it can be certain that not everyone will be happy. (Medium, Appeal, Guile, Intendance)

Summer 6: As Thurians themselves, the Croy had no issues with doing business with the Free Marchers, particularly among the princely states they had contracted mercenaries from. The merchants from Marches with mercenary contracts in place were given special privileges, including tariff and duty free access into Croy holdings which, in turn, gave them access to the entire empire. However, there was some significant blowback against the Croys. The ports controlled by the Canard and de Maximilien families suffered a significant drop-off in trade, which in turn put their local economies into a recession. Further, guild members in Croy controlled cities protested against their lord’s policies, noting a significant drop off in prices for linen and metal goods. Last, several jealous Marches became frustrated with the system that Croy set up, with his powerful Ledger of Trade, that penalized them to the benefit of their political rivals. Croy power within Nerlandais has increased, yes, but at some significant costs.

(Quest completed with mixed results; Region Nerlandais -10 prosperity, Croy gains +4% influence, Canard -2.5% influence, Maximilien -1.5% influence. Croy -5 stability, Canard -3 stability, Maximilien -3 stability)

The Freikorps Raids
Spoiler :
Freikorps, on the other hand are making the safest of the marcher duchies into a growing problem area. The border fortresses are not well-maintained, and it has allowed for probing raids into Nerlandais, much to the Duc’s embarrassment. Each border Marcher has denied responsibility, and refuse to do anything about those who are not their subjects. Action needs to be taken of course, though anything too harsh may cause tensions to flare with the Marchers. (Medium, Martial, Appeal, Intendance)

Summer 6: Adeltrude d’Canard was left responsible for the Duchy’s defense and went to work on fixing the porous border. One problem that immediately became apparent was that on the Taliesean side, the villages near the borders were practically empty, making the regional supply situation tenuous at best. This, along with the border forts in disrepair, seemed to be what was allowing the deep, penetrating raids by the Freikorps. Adeltrude set to work on addressing the more ‘solvable’ issues in both the north and south, where the region was a bit more populated, but there is a major gap between Kelberg and Cinosalme, as well as between Cinosalme and Engen that is mostly unprotected still.

(Quest progress 40%, -20 gold)

The Pied Piper
Spoiler :
In the small towns in the interior of Nerlandais, nestled near the forests and the hills, there have been strange rumors as of late. With most imperial soldiers needed at the border, the interior towns are often forced to turn to mercenaries to deal with the problems of the town, particularly those of a magical nature. One such town, that of Hamelin, recently hired a man to deal with a horde of rats that had overrun the town. Using a strange magic with his music, he was able to dispel the rats and return the town to a grateful populace. However, the people of Hamelin were unable to pay him, and as punishment the wizard decided to kidnap the children of the town, threatening to sell them into slavery unless the village can come up with the agreed upon payment ten times over. The Mayor of Hamelin is begging for help, in hopes that someone, anyone, might be able to save the children. (Hard, Gold, Martial, Appeal, Guile)

Gaston de Maximilien was not one to stay sitting when there was a crisis. Without delay, he and a group of battle mages were able to track down the man known as the Pied Piper to a nearby cave of Hamelin. Gaston was well-known for his focus on “disruption” spells, and decided that he would break the Pied Piper’s hold over the children before charging in. Unfortunately, without the support of fellow ritual mages, his magic was less effective and the spell was rather taxing on his body. However, he briefly disrupted the charm the Piper had placed on the children, who quickly became terrified at their unfamiliar surroundings. They began to cry, which caused the Pied Piper some confusion until Maximilien battle mages advanced on his position. He quickly retreated into caverns, allowing one of the battle mages to escort the children to safety, while Gaston and the others descended into the caverns, attempting to find the Piper. Using his magic and music, the Piper was able to distort their minds, causing a near hypnotic trance in some of the mages. But they, unlike the children, were much more difficult to subdue and most were able to continue their search in the caverns. Eventually, the Piper was cornered by Gaston and four battle mages, and, the Piper played another song, and from his flute, a powerful shadow beast emerged that quickly killed two of the battle mages, and wounded a third. The chase went on for another two hours, and eventually, when he ran out of magical energy, he was caught and killed by another Maximilien battlemage. The people of Hamelin were quite grateful, giving Gaston an assortment of jams, assurances of their eternal service, and, upon learning of their hero’s interest in magical research, one of the dead rats that had overran the town. But the true prize of the day was the Piper’s flute, through which he had performed a magic previously unseen throughout Taliese.

(Quest Completed. De Maximilien: -15 gold, +Pied Piper’s Flute. +1% Influence in Nerlandais. Croy: -1% influence in Nerlandais)

The Hounds of Toggenburg

Summer 6: Toggenburg has been well-known for its tradition of hounds, stretching back to the Age of Glories, possibly even earlier. Hounds in the town were celebrated each year in a festival as thanks for their friendship and the prosperity they brought the town, for the raising and selling of the dogs brought great wealth to the village. War hounds, pack dogs, sheep-herders...if there was a job for a hound, you could count that Toggenburg had trained one to do it. But recently there has been some disturbing news that the town has seen itself overrun by the very hounds they raised and loved. A few of the villagers were able to escape and have painted a tale of horror; of giant, monstrous hounds tearing people limb from limb. Of the lord who led some of the village folk to safety in the castle, but who are currently besieged by the hounds. They beg for someone to help save their friends and family still trapped. The most straightforward way would be to march through with soldiers and slay the hounds, but the villagers have asked that the dogs not be attacked. The only alternative would be to attempt to sneak out the villagers from the castle; however, if one failed to escape undetected, they would make for easy prey to what has been described as an all-devouring pack. (Very Hard, Martial, Guile)

A Bad Beginning

Summer 6: In the land of the Free Marches, life, even for nobles, is often nasty, brutal, and short. It is a constant struggle to keep one’s power, and life, with the jockeying of rivals always willing to tear another down. As of late, a powerful Marcher by the name of Olaf the Black has been gaining strength with his cunning tactics, his ruthlessness, and his impressive fire magic. He has taken over several marches and has put his defeated enemies to the sword or the stake. But recently, three children of a recently slain Marcher escaped that fate for another; exile. They arrived in Nerlandais, determined to find help in avenging their parents. To this end, they have offered a portion of a significant fortune, held in a bank in the Marcher city of Frohnd to anyone who is willing to help take their lands back. It would be difficult though, and even if the cause were just, the Marcher lords would not take kindly to a Taliesean backed invasion. Meanwhile Olaf has put out word of how powerful his army has become, and offered a counter-proposal; whomever delivers him the three children (one of them alive, the other two preferably dead) will be granted a great boon by the Marcher, and the fortune of the orphans can be split between he and the deliverer. A dishonorable route to be sure, but a profitable one, and much less risky. (Very Hard, Martial, Guie; Recommended 8-12 units)

Pentherve

Spoiler :
The Lord’s First Night
Spoiler :
Pentherve prides itself on its traditions, even when they stand in contrast to the rest of the empire; in fact, they prefer when they do. One such tradition in Pentherve is droit de cuissage; a lord’s right to any woman in his domain on their wedding night. Illegal in the rest of Taliese, through a mix of oversight and some legal precedent, it remains technically legal in Pentherve and has become a cherished right and tradition for many lords, including Maréchal Gaston, though it is hated by the common folk. Taking a side in this debate could earn the love of one, and the enmity of the other. (Medium, Appeal, Intendance)

The City of Thieves
Spoiler :
Santomal has long had a reputation throughout the Empire as a haven of privateers or pirates, depending on how accommodating Clermont was at the time. Recently, Maréchal Gaston has been quite supportive of the privateers, so long as they line his pocket, though it has contributed to a state of near anarchy in the city. Though gold from privateers is surely welcome, the fact that Pentherve’s only port of note is in such a state has ensured the city has never been a major trading port. Action could be taken to improve the rule of law in the city, though it could incur the wrath of the Maréchal. On the other hand, such connections could be useful and lead to some interesting opportunities...but one must always be wary when dealing with criminals (Medium, Martial, Guile, Intendance)

Summer 6: The idea that Santomal was the one place that piracy was allowed in the Empire did not sit well with Lady Estelle d’Argent and, with Gaston’s attention turned fully to the matter of the imperial succession, there was no one to stop her. With her soldiers in tow, she marched into the city and began kicking down doors to the taverns the pirates called home when not aboard their ships. The pirates were taken by surprise; after all, they had operated with impunity for centuries, and were supposedly under the Maréchal’s protection. there had not been a particular crisis and many were arrested and killed in the initial fighting.

One pirate was able to slip past the d’Argent soldiers though, and ran through the streets alerting the town to the soldier’s presence. The captains of the different pirate crews began shouting orders and attempting to take control of the situation. Their foremost concern was escaping with as much of their treasure as they could; to delay Lady Estelle, they put the torch to several buildings in hopes they might prove to be an obstacle to her. Lady Estelle was not deterred but forced to proceed alone, on foot, while her soldiers attempted to douse the flames.

As she went forth, she was confronted not by a group of men, but rather, one. A powerful looking man, he was some seven, no, eight feet tall. Wearing plate armor and walking as if it were nothing, carrying a greatsword in one hand and a massive shield in the other. He took off his helmet, revealing an unsightly, asymmetrical face with a haughty smirk. He gave Estelle a mocking laugh, beckoning for her to make the first move. As Estelle drew her sword, she called upon him to surrender. But just as soon as the words left her mouth, he leaped forward with impressive speed, closing the gap of some fifteen feet between them and delivered a powerful blow with his shield. Even wearing armor, Estelle shouted in pain as she was sent crashing into a nearby burning building. Thankfully, she regained consciousness, and was able to pull herself out of the building, seeing the docks burning and several ships sail away into the South Sea.

After the battle, the reports were mostly good. The docks would need to be rebuilt, as would much of the harbor district, but that was nothing that could not be repaired with skilled craftsmen, time, and gold. Civilian casualties were relatively light, since few lived in the harbor district, and the garrison forces of Lady D’Argent were keeping the city calm and orderly. The only real negatives were the escape of some of the crews. Even though over eight hundred pirates were arrested or killed, several leading Santomal pirates escaped, chief among them Grutte Pier, known as the Giant Swordsman. A powerful man from Nerlandais, he is said to be half-giant, and to have been able to best even Gaston in combat! He would have to be found in due time, but for now, Estelle could content herself that she had brought justice to the city, and that it was now decisively under her family’s control, even if Gaston fumed. Now, one must wait and wonder if the pirates will one day return to terrorize the shores they once ruled.

(Quest Completed with Mixed Results: House D’Argent: +5% influence Pentherve. -20 gold. -5 Stability; Estelle D’Argent: +2 Renown; House Du Luc: -3% influence Pentherve. House Remillard: -2% influence Pentherve. Pentherve: -15 Prosperity)

The Great Horse Bayard
Spoiler :
Pentherve’s knightly traditions have made horse breeders into very wealthy men, and the duchy’s warhorses are regarded as the best in the world. Every year, there is a Festivale Equestria where the horse breeders show off their best, and where chevaliers spend vast sums securing the best mount. This year has plenty of great horses, but far and away the star of the show is a horse called Bayard. It is far and away the largest horse and could easily fit four riders: if they could stay on that is! Not only that, but the breeder claims that the horse has magic in its blood, and can even understand human speech! The breeder has offered the horse to any rider who can tame it. Many have tried, but all have failed. It would take a particularly good rider or an unorthodox method to tame this horse (Hard, Martial, Appeal)

The Challenge of the Green Knight

Summer 6: A great knight of Pentherve, Bertilak de Hautdesert, was greatly disappointed that he was unable to attend to the tournament at Clermont; the death of his own father forcing him to remain at home. It has left him with a sense of deep sense of dissatisfaction, and has left him desiring to challenge the knights of Pentherve to contests of skill. He has put out the word throughout the duchy that he is willing to challenge any true knight to a hunt in the Forest of Silence; whomever comes back with the greatest kill wins. Of course, going through the forest is dangerous, and outhunting the knight may prove to be far more difficult than it looks. (Very Hard, Martial)

Wines of Pentherve
Spoiler :
Pentherve was once home to some of Magnolia’s most prestigious vineyards, with methods and techniques dating back to the First Age. Unfortunately, war and neglect have put many of them to ruin. If one were to take the time to reconstruct the vineyards to take part in ‘The Judgement of Clermont’, it could bring great wealth to the duchy and the family who sponsored a winning vintage. (Medium, Alchemy, Intendance, Knowledge)

Last edited:
Family Quests

Lumiere

Spoiler :

Dangerous Beasts and Where to Find Them
Spoiler :
A strange man from the Academy of Besangueux has been found traveling within Montcastel. Outsiders, even fellow Talieseans, are considered suspicious, and he was thoroughly questioned. Apparently, he is writing a book, called “Dangerous Beasts and Where to Find Them”. And though he is apparently an idiot for coming up here, he’s also apparently the foremost expert on magical beasts. It might be useful to figure out what he knows, and potentially offer to aid in his quest. (Hard, Martial, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

Summer 6: The Intrepid Researcher was approached by Victor Lumiere, and made an offer too tempting to pass up, in form of patronage, protection, and good company. The Intrepid Researcher took a liking to Victor, and together they set forward on researching the most dangerous beast of Montcastel: the dragon. With an escort of Lumiere retuines, they were able to pass through Gourlois territory with only light casualties. They crossed into Pontria to find their mark, and found themselves in the midst of a battle between a Great Red Dragon and none other than Queen Laskia of Pontria. Infiltrating the Queen’s army posing as common mercenaries, Victor and the Intrepid Researcher found themselves on a mountaintop, battling a dragon but its flames quickly removed both from the battle. Thankfully, their identities remained secret and though they were able to recover in a hospital bed in Pontria, though both wounded significantly. (Victor: Trait +Burned, Trait +Wounded, +6 Lessons of the Dragon, +Companion Intrepid Researcher)

A Father’s Lessons

Summer 6: Watching the chevaliers fight, the treachery suffered by Reinhard, and the vengeance that her father took against the man who cheated, to Alice it seemed as if the stories she was told had come to life. And though she saw her father eventually defeated, she was confident that this was but the first part of the hero’s journey.

(Alice: Trait +Idealist, Just, +1 Martial)

Life in Clermont

Summer 6: “I will train you” said the red-haired man “to be a lady and a knight. For you must become both to embody what it means to be a chevalier of honor” For Alice Lumiere, life at court has been a dizzying affair. She serves as a companion to Princess Riliane, along with Reinhard’s sisters, as he (or a tutor) instructs the four of them in proper court etiquette and lessons needed by ladies of standing. Chess, dancing, serving tea...aside from tea drinking though, Riliane would prefer playing with swords and stealing sweets from the castle baker, and getting into all sorts of mischief. She has demanded that Alice, along with Theresa and Louise, come with her to ‘have fun’, but Reinhard has forbidden many of the activities Riliane nejoys. Alice is at a cross-road of whom she should obey; her lady, or her teacher? (Quest Difficulty: ???; Appeal, Guile)0

Adventures in Tiviers

Summer 6: Though in no shape to fight, both Victor and the Intrepid Researcher have, after weeks of healing, recovered enough to the point where they can at least leave their sick beds, and have taken to strolling about the city, if one was being generous with the term. It’s smaller than Chammung, but people are lively and friendly, much happier than the dour Montcastellans. It might be worthwhile investigating or simply asking around to see what might be found out, about the city, its people, its Queen. Of course, there’s nothing stopping either Victor or the Intrepid Researcher from simply leaving.. (Easy, Appeal, Guile)

Cuimilt
Spoiler :

A Deadly Curse
Spoiler :
Iseult Cuimilt is an unfortunate young girl, suffering gravely from the curse placed upon her by the tyrant. As she grows weaker by the day, it is important to understand the curse the Tyrant placed upon her so that one day, she might be freed from it. Lady Cecilia may desire to keep the affairs of the family under wraps, and can continue to study it on her own, but there is another way. The headmaster of Besangueux, Antoin Darcy, is not known to be a compassionate man, but he is the world’s foremost expert on Dark magic and the experiments of the Tyrant. If anyone can help understand what is happening, and what can be done with her condition. (Hard, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

Summer 6: Clermont was once known as the capital of dark magic during the reign of Emperor Valerian. And though thankfully for its residents that is no longer the case, for Cecilia it was rather unfortunate. Many of the tyrant’s writings were at Besangueux, or spirited away by the tyrant’s scattered followers. Still Cecilia did what she could in uncovering the secrets of the curse, though much still eludes her. She could perhaps talk with the Imperial Treasurer to see where some of the Emperor’s notes are, those that did not end up with Darcy at least. (Quest Progress: 20%) (Medium, Intendance)

Summer 6: Things are just absolutely peachy for those delightful orphans. Don’t worry about those orphans. What orphans? Who said orphans? I didn’t.

Lefrebvre
Spoiler :

Legendary Forgers
Spoiler :
The Lefrebvre family has been known for its smithing techniques for centuries, and Horace is but the latest in a long line of master metal workers, combining the powers of alchemy with steady, unrelenting craftsmanship. Unfortunately, like most magical families, the Lefrebvre family’s smithing magic has seen better days, its best work lying in ages past. It would be a shame though if Taliese’s finest metalworking lay in centuries past! In order to recover the lost arts of Lerebvrean smithing, first thing is first: Horace will need the proper tools; specifically, tools that have been around since the Age of Glories, imbued with powerful magic. Simply buying these tools is possible, but prohibitively expensive. Some nobles have been known to collect these tools, and if one does not wish to part with their livres, one could try “other” means. And if that is too unethical, tools might be found in the ruins; some research could help ease the path. (Medium, Gold, Guile, Knowledge)

Administring the lands of Lefebvre
Summer 6: The Lefebvre family took the reigning of its domains quite seriously. Though not a soldier himself, Horace appointed sheriffs and lawmen to better protect his lands and set them to work ensuring law and order returned to the region. Due to Lumiere efforts in culling the bandits, it was quite effective, and Lefebvre domains became safe and secure...at least, by Montcastelan standards… (Montcastel: +5 Prosperity; House Lefebvre: +5 Stability, Horace Lefebvre: +1 Intendance)

Séverin
Spoiler :

Queen's men or Church's?
Spoiler :
The calling of the Great Council has put a divide in the House of Séverin over who is to attend. Zénaïde is rather sick, and the healers warn that such a journey might kill her, so someone ought to take her place. The question is should Sarah attend, as the regent of Franchpais? Or should Romane, as the heiress? Only one can speak for the Duchesse, and whomever is chosen will signify much for the future of the duchy. (Medium, Appeal)

Summer 6: The decision to send Sarah over Romane to the capital caused a murmur throughout Franchpais, and what it migth mean for ducal politics. Some of the more pious and hardline lords have approved of Sarah’s unrelenting support for the Cardinal, seeing him as an invaluable ally towards Kolpchek and the potential Chekian fifth column priests. Meanwhile, moderates have coalesced around Romane in hopes that the fragile peace might be maintained. In any case, so long as Zénaïde still lives, tensions remain beneath the surface, but Sarah’s growing influence and her rebellious nature makes many wonder if she will respect her sister’s will. (Quest completed with mixed results: Sarah +3 Renown, Romane: -1 Renown)

The Knights of the Faith

Summer 6: Cardinal Fleury has come forward to Sarah with an interesting proposal. A Crusade against Kolpchek is...ambitious, to say the least, but he is sympathetic to House Séverin’s struggles and has a solution. The Church has long been barred from having levies, aside from but a handful of personal guards. But an order of knights, devoted to the ideals of the Savior just so happened to fall under vassalage of the Duchesse..well, there would be nothing particularly illegal about that. The Cardinal has offered to finance the creation of the Order, provide funds for the construction of a castle and even appoint a Séverin commander of the order should they wish to join. Accepting would greatly enhance our defenses, but it would place a powerful military force in Franchpais whose true loyalty would not lie with the Duchesse. Declining gracefully might still be an option, but then further support from the Church would not be forthcoming in the future. (Easy, Appeal, Intendance)

Verniseul
Spoiler :

The Familial Legacy
Spoiler :
The House of Verniseul was a powerful force to be reckoned with during the days of the Tyrant, terrifying his enemies and delivering his ‘justice’ through a network of agents, powerful dark magic, and other “assets”. Now though, the Verniseul network lies in ruins...or does it? There are scores of documents here, written in a coded language, that could spell out what the family’s empire was...and what might still remain. (Medium, Guile, Intendance)

Summer 6: Though technically not a member by blood of the Verniseul family, Constance set to work on the family’s documents. The former Lord Verniseul had plenty of codes to crack, but Constance steadily worked her way through to the point and was eventually able to create a cipher to help read through the familial documents, which revealed a treasure trove of familial gold, agents, and, most importantly, secrets. (Quest completed with success: Constance: +1 Intrigue)

Chats at the Chancellerie
Underappreciated and overworked, mages of the Chancellerie have plenty of stories to tell, though rarely for gold. They’re far more pragmatic than that. Constance Vernisuel knew how to play the game, who to treat for lunch, who to purchase a bottle of Ezian wine for, who to promise patronage; of course, she know that each of these mages knew how to play the game. How to manipulate, how to create the situation they wanted to see. Favors were earned, but, if they are to be used, favors will need to be given. (+5 Favors from the Chancellerie)

Patrons of the Bards
The Bards smiles were wide as the House Verniseul had re-entered the Game. While some Bards delighted in running their own schemes and taking advantage of other patrons, others took pride in working for the greatest minds of the empire, and helping their plots come to fruition. The latter have offered their service to House Verniseul, and it is up to us whom we wish to patron.

Reactivating the Old Networks
Summer 6: House Vernisuel once had agents and hideouts in every province of the Empire, providing influence and a steady stream of influence. Since the tyrant’s fall, agents have laid inactive and hideouts have been abandoned. But the old networks can be rebuilt, and even strengthened. And while they were once subjegted to the tyrant’s whims, now House Vernisuel can control its own destiny...

Medvedev
Spoiler :

The Birthright of the Bear
Spoiler :
Though Catherine has been the head of the Medvedev family for a decade now, due to her age she was never required to take part in her coming of age ceremony. Well before the time of the Taliesean conquest, Medvedev’s Boyars were expected to receive the blessings of the bears, creatures with an incredible wealth of knowledge and power. Many bears were killed or driven into hiding during the era of the tyrant, disguising themselves as hills, slowly moving in the night. If one was to find a bear and provide a gift to the bear (they prefer honey based alcohol), they may be willing to impart their gifts in turn. (Hard, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

Summer 6: Before leaving for Clermont, Catherine de Medvedev was determined to pass her coming of age ritual. The first thing she did was to hire a well-regarded bear tracker. Trackers in Franchpais were considered second only to their brethren in Pentherve, but no man in Pentherve had ever seen a bear; this tracker, a burly Chekian with claims of being a former bogatyr, claimed to have saved six bears single-handedly from the tyrant’s men. It took weeks to find a bear, but eventually one of the western hills was found to be a slow moving bear. The Medvedev camp brewed its honey mead and then at night gave great shouts and lit a large fire, chanting in the Chekian language for the bear to come down. After three nights of this, a large bear face emerged from the dark night, though the rest of its body was unseen. Catherine snapped her fingers and her servants immediately went to work pouring barrel after barrel of mead into the bear’s mouth. After around the eighth barrel of mead, the bear became friendlier and invited Catherine to touch its nose. As she laid her hand upon it, a strange magic occured taking her to a plane that was white as snow; she awoke the next morning surrounded fifty empty barrels of mead, a tome in an ancient language, and a necklace with a bear claw.

(Quest completed with success: Catherine de Medvedev: +1 Knowledge, +1 Renown, +Tome in the Bear Language, +Bear Claw necklace)

The Gifts of the Bear

Summer 6: On the carriage ride to Clermont, Catherine had plenty of time to think on the strange conversation she had with the bear on the White Plane. He had plenty of tales to tell of the Kingdom of Bears, of times long forgotten to history, and of magic that he said predated even the dragons. He lamented the state of House Medvedev, but with a kind smile, he assured Catherine that she would be the one to restore its former glory. “And to do that, I will grant you a gift that will grant you strength beyond compare.” The tome she awoke with the day after was in a language she had never seen before; the only guess she had was that it was in the ancient Bear language. No Taliesean would know this language; finding something in the ancient Bear language would likely require the help of a Chekian. (Very Hard, Appeal, Knowledge)

The Studies of Lady Catherine

Summer 6: “No, not that way! This way” The tutor Catherine hired to help her prepare to sit for exams was supposedly talented but evidently annoying. He did help her prepare somewhat for the exams, but his teaching style left much to be desired. (-10 gold, +1 Knowledge)

The Clique

Summer 6: Clermont was quite different from home. Used to being surrounded by none other than servants, Catherine was eager to make friends, or at least, allies, that were of similar disposition. During one of the smaller parties, she met Catherine de Maximilien and Isolde Du Luc and found them to be perfect companions. With each of them having a talent for intrigue, a desire to advance their own fortunes, a willingness to get their hands dirty, they became rather close in manipulating lords foolish enough to believe their charms. Of particular note was at a small party attended by the three of them where no less than six minor lords, attempting to impress the women, got engaged in a brawl for their affections. The fight left all six of them bloody and bruised, and the girls became the talk of the court: a beautiful start to their friendship. (Catherine: +1 Appeal, +1 Guile; +4 Renown, +25% Prestige)

L'Écuyer

Spoiler :

Trials of the Young Lady
Spoiler :
Winter 5: Achille L’Écuyer is well-liked by his nobles, with his effortless charm and friendly disposition. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of his cousin, Élodie. While many in Bourtaigne are rather open-minded, taking orders from a seventeen year old girl on the ducal throne can be...chafing at times. It may take a tour de force of some sort for Élodie to earn their respect or, at least, their obedience. (Medium, Martial, Appeal, Guile)

Rule by the Lady Élodie

Summer 6: Élodie L’Écuyer did her best to tune out the noise of the grumbling barons, and instead focused her efforts on the administration of Bourtaigne. Roads were cleared, investments made, cities policed. While she is still young, she has proven herself to be rather adept at ruling the familial lands. (Élodie: +2 Intendance; +5 Prosperity Bourtaigne; +5 Stability)

The Imperial Chevaliers

“Careful now, the point’s sharp. What you want to do when you thrust is aim right for…” After the tournament, Achille, feeling giddy after the tournament, took time to train with the Imperial Chevaliers, in hopes that he might win the next great tournament. Though he was not the Empire’s greatest warrior, he took the blows of training with good spirit, impressing the Chevaliers. He made several new friends, and learned some new tricks that he might use at the next joust. (Achille: +1 Martial, +1 Favor of the Chevaliers, +Foundations of the Joust)

A Bard in the making

Summer 6: Achille L’Écuyer’s poem was considered rather touching among the people of Clermont, knowing how well the young man loved his friend and Emperor (but maybe not quite knowing exactly how well loved…). However, one person was unimpressed; a bard by the name of Georges. He critiqued nearly everything from the rhyming to the word choice to the delivery, even the very outfit Achille wore to the funeral! But one thing that he could not criticize was his passion. “That” he said “is the reason I want to help you.” For a small bit of patronage, Georges is willing to teach Achille the skills he’ll need to become a poet and perhaps even make a proper bard out of him. “Just say the word, and we can begin….tomorrow” (Hard, Appeal)

D’Antan

Spoiler :
Finding a Cure
Spoiler :
A letter arrived from a contact at Besangueux, a professor who is involved in cutting edge magical research. The letter is terse, befitting a scholar, but its contents are promising: he believes there may be a way to cure Valerian from his incapacitation. He warns you though, this will not be an easy nor straightforward task. He asks that when ready, a D’Antan meets him so that they might discuss things in person. (Easy, Knowledge, May require multiple steps)

Summer 6: Jerome’s previous attempts at finding aid at Besangueux had not previously found results, but their aid was appreciated nonetheless; it was certainly better than Champilême’s constant answer of “The First Magic will reveal all secrets to us” (nevermind that they and others had been trying to find the First Magic for over a millenia). A former classmate of Jerome’s, now a professor at the college and an expert in Light magic, greeted him, with multiple tomes of Fairy writings spread across his desk. A strange sight at Besangueux yes, what with their disdain for ancient ‘primitive’ magic, but the school always placed results above ideology. And it seemed the professor had results. “Bear with me now” he said, in an excited voice “My theory is that Light Magic was introduced to humans by Fairies. Powerful creatures, they are guarded with their secrets. But the tomes that we have, the ones we can read, they speak of magic so powerful that they could heal mind, body, and soul from any sort of damage. Remarkable creatures, these fairies! Imagine though what we could do if we used their magic with our own...the possibilities are endless!” He warns you that it will be dangerous, but that . As for finding Fairies, he recommends a few places; there is an ancient ruin, thought to be originally constructed by Fairies hidden beneath a lake in remote Bourtaigne; the Forest of Silence in Pentherve is also considered a home of the Fairies too. He also recommends that he might attempt to join the Besangueux researches in attempting to summon a Nymph (a type of Fairy) from the river. He warns that in each scenario, the Fairies will attempt to trick Jerome, to give him nothing, but he must be wise to their ways and to ensure he gives them nothing until they spill their secrets.

(Jerome: +5 Understanding of the Fairies; Quest Requires 100 Secrets of the Fairies to advance)

Into the Forest of Silence

Summer 6: Pentherve’s legendary Forest of Silence is an ancient grove where the wilds of magic still roam free, unconquered by human hand. It is in this forest that they say the world of Fairies and the world of humans overlaps the most..that the two species can see one another on the same plane of reality. It would be dangerous of course to go into the Forest, and it would be meeting the Fairies on terrain more familiar to them. But it would be the most straightforward way to attempt to make contact. (Very Hard; Multiple Attributes Required: Martial, Appeal, Guile)

Beneath the Lake La Lueur

Summer 6: Lake La Lueur in Bourtaigne is famous for its lights. Every summer night, dozens of lights appear throughout the lake, making for a fascinating sight. Little did anyone know that a hundred and fifty feet beneath the surface, the grotto beneath its waters had a Fairy ruin sitting undisturbed. It would date well before the First Age, before humans roamed the earth. For the D’Antan family (or any researcher for that matter), this would be an impossible opportunity to pass up...if there was any way of reaching it! This would likely require the assistance of someone outside the family; a powerful elemental mage with a potion to allow breathing beneath the water, or perhaps a submersible boat? Or, if one was feeling ambitious, a ritual, or a dam, to drain the lake? Of course that might anger the Fairies... (Extreme; Elemental, Alchemy, Ritual; Intendance, Knowledge)

Studies of the Young Lord

Summer 6: Roland took some time to study for his examinations, though admittedly he got less done than he would have liked; after all, the catacombs of Clermont beckoned...

(Quest 25% progress to next level)

Patronage of the Imperial Mages

The Chancellerie used to be such a lively place back in the age of Lilies; now, a shadow of its former self. Still, there’s plenty of work to be done, forms to file, spells to cast, rituals to maintain, all a very expensive process for not as much pay nor recognition as one might expect. In such an environment, Juliette D’Antan was able to make some connections, a lunch here, a dinner there. They were too proud to accept payment of course, but offered a few interesting tales, some intriguing snippets, and a wink and a nod of appreciation.

(+5 Favors from the Chancellerie)

Into the Catacombs

Summer 6: Far more interesting to Roland than his studies were his adventures, specifically, the catacombs beneath Clermont. Dating back to the city’s founding as a small village in the Age of Heroes, the catacombs are said to be a labyrinth that is difficult (and dangerous) to explore. Roland was not deterred though, and spent several days and evenings diving deeper and deeper. While he (un)fortunately did not run into any creatures or undead, he did come away with some valuable trinkets; if he continues exploring, who knows what else he might find...

(+15 Gold, +2 Secrets of the Crypts)

The Disappearing Act

Summer 6: Aurelie D’Antan, shy as always, continued to attempt to disappear. It was strange, a magic that had often been used to draw attention to one’s self being used to make one disappear...it went against all practical applications, but the theory behind it was...possible. And there is something special in the magic of a child. Not that Aurelie knew, nor cared, about theory or what was possible: she was ten, after all. She simply tried. Bakeries were her favorite place, with good hiding spots, plenty of sweets to snack on and no one to stop her. One day though, as she snuck through her favorite bakery, she felt a powerful yet disturbing aura, right where her usual hiding spot was. Scared, but curious, she looked inside and found herself face to face with none other than Princess Riliane, eating a plum pastry.

(Aurelie: +2 Guile, +1 Knowledge, -1 Appeal)

Making Mischief

Summer 6: Like Aurelie, Riliane too has a talent for disappearing. Using her dark magic, she is able to sneak away from her overprotective guardian to explore Clermont, play with swords, steal pastries, and get into all sorts of trouble. Excited to see another girl her age, and one who has a talent of disappearing, Riliane invites Aurelie to meet her in the bakery once again, and they can go have all sorts of fun in the city. Of course, there are plenty of other kitchens and bakeries to hide in. And a disappearing girl does not need any friends. (Very Easy, Guile)

D'Irene
Spoiler :

Reclaiming the West
Spoiler :
The Irène family was once known for its powerful alchemical magic and its influence in western Bourtaigne. Unfortunately, with the family’s fall from grace, these mines have fallen into disrepair over the past century. But with a new age comes a new hope that the family can reclaim its once glorious history, and it starts with reasserting control over the mines. Laborers will need to be organized and moved to mining villages once more, repairs will need to be made, and, unfortunately, it’s more than likely that monsters will need to be cleared out. (Medium, Gold, Martial, Intendance)

Summer 6: Nicodème was determined, after generations of weakness, to rebuild his family’s power. And the first step came with reclaiming their old lands in the west. First, before anything could be done, the mines had to be secured. Tunnelers, large snakes that had the ability to shift the earth as they moved, had overran many of the mines and had to be dealt with. Nicodème ordered his light infantry to engage and though casualties were heavier than expected, the snakes were eventually brought down. Next, laborers were moved into the region, initially just young men in tents who were responsible to clear debris from the villages, repair the damage in the mines from the tunnel snakes, and rebuilding homes. By the end of summer, a few new mining villages were established, promising a new age of prosperity for both the Irene family and their subjects.

(Quest completed. +3 Prosperity Bourtaigne; House d’Irene: -5 gold, +3 stability)

Filling the Mines

Summer 6: Now that we have re-established villages and mines in the west, things have started off well enough, but it is clear that in order for the mines to return to their former glory, they will need plenty of workers. We have enough workers to open the mines, but returning the mines to peak production, we will need many, many more. The easiest way forward would be to move our peasants from farming to mining, but the fertile soil in the river valley provide our house a great amount of wealth. We could try luring free laborers from Orlany and Nerlandais with offers of high wages, but that would make the mines much less profitable. There is also the thought that we might try a less ‘free’ labor source such as prisoners and slaves. While they would certainly be a source of discontent, and could be costly to start, would ensure that the mines become, and remain, quite profitable. (Very Hard, Gold, Intendance)

Tutoring for the Young Mistress

Summer 6: In between her busy schedule of recreating the familial vineyards, Diane also took the time to study intensively for the upcoming entrance exams for the colleges. A private tutor was hired, and though Diane believed she was more intelligent than he, he did at least have a good few tricks to teach her about how to do well on the exams.

(Diane d’Irene: +1 Knowledge; House d’Irene: -10 gold)

Carnard
Spoiler :

The Castle of Sîvrit
Spoiler :
The Thurian Legends tell of a man named Sîvrit, a great and mighty king during the Age of Heroes. According to the legend, he was able to fight and kill a dragon that had terrorized what is now Nerlandais and, if the record is to be believed, his ancient home could be nearby. It will take some digging, but with enough research, logic, or brute force, his castle could be found, and his secrets uncovered. (Medium, Martial, Intendance, Knowledge)

Tutoring for the Children

Summer 6: Both Raymond and Mesaline were intended by their father to attend college, and spent the Summer studying. Their father even purchased the services of a tutor for each of them to better prepare them! Mesaline was rather diligent in her studies and by the end of summer felt confident to take the examinations. Whereas for Raymond...he had gotten quite good at doodling dragons on his parchment. Still, his tutor thinks he’ll at the very least pass the formal interview process...though the examinations are anyone’s guess.

(House Canard: -20 gold; Mesaline: +1 Appeal, +3 Knowledge; Raymond: +1 Knowledge)

Dragons Afoot

Philip Canard knew that while his father was gone in the capital, and his mother in the countryside, it was up to him to defend home against the dragons that constantly threatened their home. Already he has marshaled some of the children of his father’s soldiers and servants, and has led them on adventures into the forests to find dragons. They have tracked down what they believe to be the dragon, and it seems the monster is hiding in the part of the forest where the light does not shine. Nurse says not to go to that part of the forest, but it may be necessary to do so if House Canard is to be protected. His loyal knights have said they should charge in, but one of his soldiers, a daughter of a cook, has said that they should train first with weapons they would need to fight the dragon, and perhaps recruit more into their army.

(Quest Difficulty: ????) (Philip Canard: +1 Appeal, +1 Martial)

Croy
Spoiler :

Friends in Low Places
Spoiler :
Guy DeCroy’s background is rather...unique for a noble. It has tarnished the familial name, but having friends in low places can be rather useful. With the Great Council about to be convened, with both high class courtesans and lower class “girls” hoping to make a fortune heading to Clermont. Having a few girls on the ‘inside’ could get the DeCroy family some interesting insights… (Medium, Intrigue)

Summer 6: With the ‘girls’ of Nerlandais heading to Clermont, Guy De Croy decided to follow. No stranger to brothels, Guy DeCroy was able to use past ‘connections’, as well as his good looks, to enter into some of the brothel’s private rooms. There are plenty of rumors to be found here, careless whispers by a guardsmen, a squire, even a noble lord himself, that can change fortunes. (House Croy: +Connections at the Brothels of Clermont, +5 Whispered Rumors)

Patronizing the Bards

The Croy family was not known to be a major player in ‘The Game’ during the time of the Tyrant, but Guy DeCroy made sure to let the bards know that the Croys would not be uninterested bystanders. For now, Guy was looking for help with his ‘auntie’ and her search for a suitor. He found a rather poetic bard that was willing to help, and soon “The Beautiful Belle, the Magnificent Estelle” became quite common in the lord’s halls of Orlandy.

(House DeCroy: -5 gold. Estelle DeCroy: +4 Renown)

The Corvee

While House Croy has solved its recruitment issues, for now, there comes a new problem; their decree on the corvee. While it is not a particularly burdensome requirement, the fact that it exists at all is seen as an attack on the rights of the peasants, particularly since Houses Maximilien and Canard do not have such a law. Some peasants have already begun leaving Croy lands, putting the house in an awkward situation; do they back out of their decree, and lose face? Do they allow them to leave and risk a labor shortage? Or do they force the peasants to stay on their land? (Very Hard, Intendance)

The Pleasure Houses of Clermont

Spending time in Clermont’s brothels has already given Guy a peek of how important a role they play, and how he might win an edge for House Croy. Plus, with the opportunities for...fun, Guy is quite interested in becoming a player in the brothel business. He sees two potential options. One is investing in multiple brothels, giving the brothel keepers a bit of gold and respectability, and they a few secrets every now and then.. This would give him the advantage of having eyes and ears throughout the city at a relatively low cost. Of course, since he would not be the full owner of any of these establishments, any of the darkest and most valuable secrets uncovered within their walls would be unavailable to him...unless he paid a premium. The alternative is opening his own brothel, where he would control the girls, the building, and the profits, both in livres and in secrets. It would be a larger gold investment upfront, and he would have a smaller network of patrons to probe, but he would have unfettered access to anything that happened within its walls. (Medium, Gold, Appeal, Intendance)

Making a Manor

There is an enormous opportunity in Orlandy for the Croy family. While the minor Latirean nobility have gravitated to the Abbandonato family, and the upper-crust Taliesean families have stayed true to House Montesqieu, there exists a large number of nobles who straddle the two worlds. Often scions of families with both Latirean and Taliesean heritage, they are loyal to the Empire and its customs, but have adopted aspects of Latirean culture. The arrival of House Croy in Orlandy has been welcomed by many who have sought a counterweight to both Montesqieu and Abbandonato, but it will take serious commitments to Orlandy if House Croy is to become a major player on the scene. (Hard, Gold, Appeal, Guile)

De Maximilien
Spoiler :

The Please Seekers
Spoiler :
The Pleasure Seekers are a group with...interesting abilities. Nominally, they are a performing troupe, performing incredible acrobatic stunts. But they also engage in other activities. Through scents, light magic, and potions, they are able to create a certain...appealing atmosphere, that defies what is possible. Unavailable to the public, they are willing to entertain members of the nobility for the right price. And while that price might be expensive, among them is Hélène d’Aeneid, said to be the most beautiful woman in the world... (Difficulty: Easy, Recommended Attributes: Appeal, Gold)

Summer 6: With much of her family heading to Clermont, Isabella intended to find her own fun. Hélène d’Aeneid and the Pleasure Seekers had intended to go to Clermont, but the request by the daughter of a Marquis was enough for them to stay just one more night. As the show ended, Hélène smiled to a tantalized Isabella and whispered softly into her ear “Now, let me show you a new sort of ritual magic…” as she holds a collar in one hand and a riding crop in the other…

(Quest Completed. House de Maximilien: -10 gold, Isabella de Maximilien: -3 piety, +‘A Hint of Blackmail’, +’A Fond Memory’ +’Experienced the Love Ritual Magic’)

An Invitation to the Capital

Summer 6: A few weeks after Hélène left Nerlandais, a letter from Clermont arrived bearing her seal. “My dearest Isabella” it begins, and it is filled with praise, lurid details, and at the end, a strange offer. “There is a...small favor I might ask of you. An act of extraordinary skill that only a magician such as yourself could help pull off. Might I have the pleasure of seeing you this winter? I promise you will gain the pleasure you seek...and then some”. It is a rather tempting offer; a night with Hélène, and her incredible magic, and the opportunity to learn more about both...but it also is a dangerous offer. If word were to get out that a member of the de Maximilien family was doing, it could tarnish the family name. Of course, refusing might be just as dangerous, considering what Hélène knows...(Hard, Guile. Can only be done by Isabella)

Governing the Familial Lands

Summer 6: Peter de Maximilien did not travel to the funeral, instead of staying at home and managing the familial estate. Though he had some formal training in statesmanship, he did not have the natural aptitude nor temperament for it like the Croys. To his credit, he attempted some improvements in the familial demesne that he read about in a few of the books he had on the subject and if he keeps at it, he might be able to improve his skills. (Quest Progress 40%)

The Study of a Rat

Summer 6: Rats are an essential tool for many magicians, particularly Alchemists and Dark wizards. For such small bodies, they can deal with a surprising amount of magical interference, making them perfect test subjects for new spells. The rat from Hamelin was supposedly a part of a horde that overran the city; odd behavior for a rat in nature, but as an effect of a spell? Believable. It might be worth studying the rat to see if there are lingering traces of magic, and seeing if there are secrets to uncover…(Difficulty: Very Hard, Knowledge)

A Study of the Flute

Summer 6: While rats might be common in magical study, flutes certainly are not. There is almost no research on the possibility of the magical manipulation of sound and yet, the Piper not only hypnotized a score of children, he was also able to bring out a shadow beast that killed some experienced battle mages. The flute that was captured clearly has some significant magic energy in it, and unlocking the secrets behind this new magic could greatly benefit the Maximilien family. One retainer suggested that they try playing the flute, but that suggestion was dismissed out of hand; it could be quite dangerous, after all. Besides, no one in the Maximilien family is a particularly good musician…(Difficulty: Extreme, Musical, Knowledge)

The Clique

During her time in Clermont, Catherine de Maximilien was approached by the noble lady Catherine Medvedev. Bonding over their love for intrigue, Catherine was invited to a party where some very silly boys were willing to fight over their affections; never mind that Catherine was married! (Though, to be fair, if they had impressed her....) The Medvedev woman has been great fun, and has helped Catherine’s own standing in Clermont. It may be to the Maximilien family’s benefit to add Isabella to the clique, as these ladies of standing take the capital by storm… (Catherine de Maximilien: +1 Renown, 20% to next level of Espionage, +2 Whispered Rumors)

Montesqieu
Spoiler :

The Archbishop of Monterino
Spoiler :
The Archbishop of Monterino is, at the ripe old age of a hundred and seventeen, on his deathbed, with perhaps days to live. And with his death comes the issue of his successor. The Duc of Orlandy has the right to appoint any Church official to the position of archbishop and due to Taliese’s immense power, the Primarch has stayed away from trying to influence appointments. But with Alduin Montesqieu, he has seen a potential opening to bring Taliese closer with the Holy City. He has dispatched a Legate, asking that Duc Alduin consider the appointment of one of his own favored candidates and has promised that if he were to do so, the Church would look upon the act with “great favor”. Of course, the last thing that Cardinal Fleury, head of the Taliesean Church, wants is interference from the Primarch. He has noted to Duc Alduin that the Primarch’s candidate would be “too foreign to our ways in Taliese” and has suggested another candidate, one of his own proteges, for the position. Fleury noted that were he to appoint his candidate, he would be in Duc Alduin’s debt. Both men would have powerful favors to give but would make for dangerous enemies. And unfortunately, there is little room for compromise that would leave both parties satisfied. (Medium, Appeal, Knowledge)

Summer 6: With Taliese seeming to be on the brink of civil war, it made sense that the Primarch might try to nip away at Cardinal Fleury’s influence. And if the Primarch did indeed dream of a united church ruled from Cerga, then Orlandy would be the natural first place to start. But the Montesqieu had other plans. Duc Alduin was keenly aware of the political ramifications and the image issues his house would face if he were to side with the Primarch on this matter. He offered an eloquent defense of his decision to the Primarch, but what mattered most to all parties as that Monterino laid with the Cardinal, not the Primarch, frustrating the latter’s ambition of centralizing the Church. For his part, a duly grateful Fleury sent Duc Alduin a note of gratitude and with a more temporal reward, sent along several notes forgiving a portion of the house’s debt.

(Quest completed with mixed results. +30 gold to debt repayment; Alduin: +2 Renown, +1 Piety). Primarch Strength set to 0)

When in Orlandy, do as the Orlandians do. When in Taliese…

The recent festival of Latirean culture by House Abbandonato was an embarrassment to the Duc, and also a dangerous move that undermines the Duc’s authority and position. Though today it might be an art festival, in time it could lead to full blown secessionist sentiment! Clearly the Duc needs to respond, but how is the question. The Duc’s hardliners prefer blatant measures; a crackdown on Latirean writings and plays, revoking of privileges for Latireans, and ensuring mass is only done in the Taliesean language. The Duc’s moderate advisors warn that such an approach could lead to a further loss of influence to both House Croy and House Abbandonato in the best case, and in the worst scenario could even prompt a rebellion! With the Emperor’s death and the selection of a new sovereign still hanging in the balance, it could be best to simply do nothing, even if it means the loss of influence (and perhaps the loss of the Duc’s Taliesean nobles). If something must be done, they recommend an influence campaign, both in the light...and in the dark. (Hard, Appeal, Guile)

A Noble Marriage

Summer 6: For all right-thinking Taliesean nobles in Orlandy, the event of the summer was the marriage of Valerian Montesqieu and Josephine Remillard. An attractive young woman, she has caught the eye of many suitors before she was committed to Valerian. Though shy, she will be a great asset to her husband’s family due to her alchemical knowledge and her knowledge of combat and war.

(+Character: Josephine; +25% to next Prestige level)

Administering the Duchy

Summer 6: Before he left for the capital, Duc Alduin put several plans in motion to help bolster his demesne. Though some, such as the decree of mourning, went over poorly, overall his efforts were mostly positive in improving the safety and prosperity of Orlandy. (Orlandy: +2 Prosperity; House Montesqieu: +1 Stability)

The Prodigal Son

Summer 6: The Sage of the West took pride in his young heir, and was determined to raise him to be just as talented as he. Focusing on magic and statecraft, young Louis is showing promising signs of growth. He did well during his time at the great council, remembering each lord and lady’s name, and many are confident that the son will follow in his father’s footsteps. (Louis: +1 Appeal, +1 Knowledge)

Abbandonato
Spoiler :

A Noble Latirean
Spoiler :
As the highest ranking Latirean family in Orlandy, the Abbandonato family is uniquely situated in the Duchy. Though they are not the most prestigious family, many Latirean artists, scholars, financiers, and even minor nobles would prefer a mistress of their own culture, for the right price of course. If they’re careful about who will have the privilege of serving, it could ensure the Abbandonato family will have the greatest minds working for their glory. (Medium, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

Summer 6: Ignoring, deliberately or not, of Duc Alduin’s decree of mourning and banning of celebrations, House Abbandonato decided to host a festival of Latirean art. Embodying the duchy’s ethos, the festival was extravagant beyond reason. Wine, gambling, and licentious men and women flowed freely throughout the festival. But aside from the partying, the works of art were incredible to behold. Poets and musicians put their best foot forward, while sculptors and artists, novice and master alike, put out their most recent works. Though ironically it was hosted in part by the Taliesean Viviane, she did well to ingratiate herself to the Latireans, even wearing an old Cergan style toga! She did not make as many connections as her lady might have hoped (in part due to her shyness) but there were by the end several prominent artists offering their services to the house. The presence of Durante, his glib mood improved by the wine and the response to his ‘masterpiece’ (polite appreciation of their host’s work being interpreted as thunderous applause), was a spectacle, but Vivianne was glad to have someone do the hard work of actually talking with the artists. The house will have their pick of Orlandy’s finest, but the Church was not pleased at the blatant disobedience to Duc Alduin’s decree of mourning.

(House Abbandonato: -30 gold, Prestige improved to Ambiguous; Vivianne: -3 piety; Duarte: -3 piety; influence gains noted in the Orlandy section)

The Church’s Laws

Summer 6: Orlandy is easily the most open-minded of the imperial duchies, and is rather lax in the enforcement of most laws, particularly when it relates to culture. Writings and works of art that would be banned in Pentherve and scandalous in Bourtagne is commonplace in Orlandy. However, Orlandy is also known for its strong ties to the Church, and there is one law, due to the Church’s influence, that is considered the ultimate taboo: Blasphemy. A group of writers, artists, and even an astronomer have come forward to House Abbandonato, asking for both patronage and protection from the long arm of the Church. Though it might be dangerous to defy the Church’s power, it could enhance Orlandy’s status even further as a cultural icon. (Quest Difficulty: ???, Recommended Attributes: ???)

Lectulo
Spoiler :

Of Nightmares and Men
Spoiler :
A strange phenomenon is happening in one of the towns under Lectulo control. Over the past few weeks, increasing reports of nightmares have been coming from the peasantry. What might have been mocked if it came from one peasant has become a serious issue as the entire town is now reporting horrifically realistic nightmares, where some people are determined not to fall asleep again at any cost. Dreams with magical properties are not uncommon, but are usually limited to those of wizarding background; usually, peasants die during nightmares of a magical nature. Figuring out how to deal with this strange phenomenon will be challenging. Studying tomes might give a better clue as to the nature of these nightmares, while talking with the peasants directly might give a better sense of what they are afflicted with. (Medium, Appeal, Knowledge)

Summer 6: Coperta Lectulo, ever interested in the welfare of her people, inquired throughout the markets of the strange afflictions that are affecting the townspeople. From her questioning, she found that around some twenty people have been affected. None have died so far; despite their pleas to remain sleepless, they were forced to drink sleeping draughts. Sometimes the nightmares returned, sometimes they stayed away, only to find a new victim a few weeks later. From the nature of the problems being discussed, it is highly likely that a demon is responsible for their maladies; in order to force the demon out, it would require the demon to be confronted in the realm of dreams. A minor baron sworn to the Lectulo family, a ritual mage, has offered to help a Lectulo into the dream realm so they might confront the demon, but it may be wise to do research prior to such a confrontation. In the meantime, there is some reassurance in Lectulo domains that their rulers are taking such concerns very seriously.

(Quest Progress: 33%; Coperta Lectulo: +1 Piety; House Lectulo: +2 stability) (Quest Difficulty: Hard, Martial, Appeal, Guile, Knowledge)

Letters to Kings and Princesses

Summer 6: Members of House Lectulo sent letters to two prominent members of countries neighboring Orlandy. The first to the King of Ezia, inviting him to visit House Lectulo, surprisingly received a response. However, it was politely declined, the King citing his health, but more realistically perhaps that he did not wish to travel to Taliese while it was in the midst of a succession crisis. He did though offer that if Coperta found herself in Cerga, he would happily grant her an audience and a meal together. Meanwhile, a letter was sent from Stibadium to a Princess of Zarazoga, attempting to strike up a correspondence. It went unanswered, perhaps for the best; with his current rank, Stibadium would make for a poor match with a princess.

(Quest Failed)

Du Luc
Spoiler :

Finding the Familial Sword
Spoiler :
The Last Charge of Leonard Du Luc saw the family’s ancient sword, Arondite, lost to the Tyrant. He stowed it somewhere in the Imperial Treasury, but after the Hero’s rebellion and the destruction of Clermont, the treasury was looted and Arondite was lost to history...or was it? It may be useful to go to Clermont, and find out more from the Imperial Treasurer, though that would likely be the start, not the end, of the quest. (Easy, Appeal, Guile)

Summer 6: While they were both in the capital, Isolde and Galahad decided to pay a visit to the Imperial Treasurer in hopes of finding their familial sword. Their plan was simple enough; Galahad would try to appeal to the man’s better nature or, failing that, distract him while Isolde went through his files. Unfortunately, Isolde failed in her task; she snuck through the Treasury’s office but found herself unable to access most of the back offices when her lockpick broke and she was not about to attempt to burn a door handle off. As she returned to Galahad’s side, she found the Treasurer and Galahad’s in a state of awkward silence, with Galahad struggling to connect with the Treasurer. After fifteen more minutes of Galahad trying to explain the situation, the exasperated man pulled out a dusty looking piece of parchment. Apparently, the old treasurer had moved the Emperor’s wealth to a secret location, and mapped them out so he might steal the treasure after the war. Unfortunately, he disappeared during the battle of Clermont, but luckily the new treasurer was able to secure the map that was left behind. The Tyrant’s treasure was locked it in a ruin in Montcastel, set up with multiple defense mechanisms that most wizards would have a tough time with; the Treasurer joked he wouldn’t survive even a trip to Montcastel. He offered Galahad and Isolde the map for a price, namely 10% of the treasure. Isolde agreed (most likely fully intending to break the promise) (Quest Completed)

Tristan and the Chevaliers

Impressed with Tristan’s performance in the joust, when he arrived to train with his fellow chevaliers they were only too happy to train with him. They taught one another tactics, traded tips, and fought several mock battles. Tiring perhaps, but rewarding. (Tristan: +20% to next Martial level; +1 Renown, +3 Favors of the Chevaliers)

The Clique

Summer 6: During her time in Clermont, Isolde Du Luc was approached by the noble lady Catherine Medvedev. Rarely interested in friends, she was intrigued by Catherine’s promise for some ‘fun and games’ they could play to improve their standings. Isolde was invited to a party along with Catherine de Maximilien where some very silly boys were willing to fight over their affections. The Medvedev woman has has also let slip some interesting rumors over what is happening in both Clermont and Franchpais; it could be useful to keep her as an ally.

(Isolde Du Luc: +1 Renown, 20% to next level of Guile, +2 Whispered Rumors)

Reclaiming the birthright

According to the map, the imperial treasure is located deep within Montcastel, in a mountain apparently long forsaken b4y humans. It will likely be a dangerous mission to not only reach the mountain, but also traversing the ruins. The Tyrant was known to command great and terrible shadow beasts and they may very well be lurking...of course, knowing the Tyrant, it’s also possible something far more dangerous will lie within. (Extreme, multiple attributes required)

Finishing the Academy

With many letters being sent to the Collège du Champilême, at last, Galahad has received good news. Since his final examinations were interrupted due to the war with the tyrant, the College agreed that such extraneous circumstances should not stand in the way of allowing a man to finish his education. They have invited Galahad to sit the final examinations whenever he feels prepared. Alas, it has been some time since he has focused on such theoretical magic, greatly preferring the practical. It would take some time for him to study in order for him to be assured a passing grade (Hard, Knowledge).

Remillard
Spoiler :

Return to Belle Neige
Spoiler :
The village atop Montagne Belle Neige was once the Penthervean ideal. Productive villagers would make mulled wine and cider in the winter for festivals, the abbey sat atop a natural hot spring, and there was a large festival each winter, making it the perfect winter court for the Remillard family to relax and enjoy time in the snow. But ever since the Hero’s Rebellion, Bella Neige has fallen into disarray, and dangerous beasts stalk the land, forcing many to abandon their mountaintop home. Direwolves are chief among them, but rumors say they say that they pale in comparison to ‘The Beast’, a powerful, white furred creature with a terrifying roar. It would take a master chevalier to clear the mountain so that the village might return to its glory days. (Hard, Marial)

Summer 6: Even in the midst of summer, Belle Neige still presented dangers to climbers. Though the weather was not a challenge, the beasts of the mountain were, with many emerging from a long hibernation eager to find prey. Remi Remillard attempted to liberate his beloved village, but found himself fighting off many more beasts than he had anticipated. Direwolves were a constant danger in the night, and eventually, Remi was forced to turn back. He might do well to return with a force of soldiers, but it may be best for him to wait until winter. (Quest Progress: 10%)

A Noble Obliges

The Remillard family is well-known for its perceived duty to theircommon folkk. True Penthervean chevaliers to their core, Remillard knights could be found protecting the people, providing alms to the poor, and aiding the Church. Truly, say the people of Pentherve, no kinder lord exists than Remi Remillard, and they are in good hands with his sons.

(House Remillard: +5 Stability; Remi Remillard: +1 Renown, Luc: +2 Renown, Guillaume: +2 Renown)

A Noble’s Obligation?

In Pentherve, much is made of the ideal of courtly love, of proper romance, of wooing, and eventually, marriage. Unfortunately, when it comes to the marriage of nobles, emotions such as love are sometimes ignored in favor of a cold political calculus. Two barons, sworn into the service of House Remillard, have agreed to end their decades long animosity towards one another with the marriage of their children. However, the daughter of one of the barons is said to be in love with another man, a mercenary from Orlandy. Not only is the man not of proper social stature, but it would also destroy the truce that the two barons have agreed to. Rescuing the noble damsel so she can be with her true love might be the proper thing to do, but it could destroy relations with Remillard vassals. On the other hand, convincing the woman that her duty lies to her family, and therefore she is obligated to go through with the marriage, would be looked upon quite favorably by Penthervean barons. (Medium Martial, Appeal, Guile)

The Marriage of Guillaume

Summer 6: As a part of the marriage alliance with House Montesqieu, Guillaume entered into marriage with the Duc’s younger sister, Lucie. The young woman, twenty years of age, is a user of ritual magic and is bound to help round out the rough edges of her husband when it comes to influencing others. (+Character: Lucie; +25% to next Prestige level)

d’Argent
Spoiler :

The Merry Men
Spoiler :
Though Pentherve has good, fertile lands, many have often decided to live in the shadows of the forests, in hidden villages nestled between the trees. Nominally these lands, and the peasants on them, are property of one feudal lord or another but de facto these communities have been mostly independent, selling wild red honey, herbs, and other bounties of the forests to nearby communities. In the time of the Tyrant, these communities hosted the Merry Men, bandits who attacked his wicked soldiers, but the group disbanded after Roland was crowned...or so it seemed. Lately, there have been rumors of attacks originating from these forests, robbing tax collectors, officials, merchants, and nobles blind, though there have been no reported attacks against the peasants themselves; in fact, after their robberies, nearby villages are often given a share of the gold! Whatever the Merry Men’s reputation, d’Argent domains have long been considered pristine for their lack of crime, and it’d be a shame for that to change. A force might need to be lead into the forest, but that might only increase tensions. More cautious voices have suggested that an emissary might be sent to see if relations with the forest villages might be repaired, but many of the Comtessa’s chevaliers have dismissed that as a weak option; why should we negotiate, they ask, when we’re the ones being attacked? (Hard, Martial, Appeal)

Summer 6: When Celeste d’Argent reached out to the Merry Men, in hopes of parley, they agreed rather quickly. They knew Celeste to be a just, pious ruler, and did not believe she would lure them into a trap. Celeste arrived flanked by two faithful chevaliers, Ser Artoria of Wensleydale, and Ser William Bouffalant de Pentherve, seeing a large camp of refugees. The Merry Men’s legendary leader, Robin, along with two guards, rode forward to parley.

In his telling, the villages that had long lived in harmony with the forest have recently been pushed off, as if the trees and animals themselves were forcing them out. The villagers had attempted to ask nearby lords and passing merchant caravans for aid but, without gold, they were rebuffed; they decided to then raid said lords (usually through their tax collectors) and the merchants, taking their gold and purchasing food and supplies for their camp. It was a matter not of enrichment, they said, but of survival. Robin has promised to do what he can to stop the raiding but warns that he cannot control his men if they and their children are hungry. And if Celeste were to be able to ensure their survival or, better yet, return them to their homes, they would happily be her allies in the fight against tyranny.

(Quest completed: +3 Favors of the Merry Men, +2 Stability)

Feeding the Mery Men

Summer 6: Expelled by their forest home, the Merry Men . When not raiding, they have taken to doing odd jobs around villages they once traded with. The question is now how to sustain such a folk. The barons on the edge of the forest have asked Lady Celeste to remove the Merry Men from their lands, in fear that they might spread dangerous ideas amongst their serfs. The most straightforward solution would be to invite them to the Comtesse’s lands, but that could lead the Comtesse’s serfs learning some dangerous ideas… (Hard, Intendance)

The Forest of Silence

Summer 6: The Forest of Silence is a place of wild magic, untamed by humans. Perhaps it was only a matter of time until the forest would rebel against even the lightest of human settlement. The Merry Men desperately want to return to their home among the trees, but if they stay in the forest for too long, the flora and fauna become quite dangerous. If the Merry Men are ever to return to their homes, we will need to fight, or figure out, whatever is causing the forest to turn hostile. Some chevaliers believe we should simply march into the forest and fight whatever it might throw at us, while others believe we may want to turn to some of the Empire’s top minds, perhaps at one of the colleges, to help determine what might be happening, if there is precedent, and how might it be solved. (Hard, Martial, Knowledge)

Rebuilding Santomal

Summer 6: Santomal now flies the banner of the Argent family, and while it is a great boon for the family, it comes with a cost. The city’s waterfront and harbor district was damaged badly by the pirate’s retreat; both will need to be repaired if Santomal is to realize success as Pentherve’s major port. There is also the matter of the people of Santomal and what is to be done with them. There are barkeepers, smiths, millers, tanners, cooks, and all sorts of folks that, while not directly engaged in piracy, provided aid to them while they were ashore. Should they be allowed to remain free, or must they be punished for their aid to known criminals? Can anyone in this forsaken town truly claim innocence? (Hard, Intendance)

Last edited:
Rule update:

Taking multiple actions with a single character (not counting traveling) will have a scaling penalty for each extra action if there are other characters who could have used the action.

On the other hand, using multiple actions on a single quest will have higher likelihoods of success and higher rewards

Last edited:
Statement from Duc Alduin upon the conclusion of the First Vote.

-

To our very great surprise a not insubstantial number of you, my fellow Lords, have voted for me to ascend to the Lilly Throne. While I did not look to take up the mantle of Emperor upon the demise of the crown or expect the support that has been forthcoming, nonetheless it is my obligation to those who saw fit to place their trust in me to make clear my position on the state of our glorious Empire, and what policies I would institute should you, our brother Lords, see fit to impose the burden of the imperial crown upon my unworthy head.

Firstly it is important brothers to recognise the dire straits our Empire is in, thanks to tyranny of one best not remembered and the incapacitation of his late majesty. At the outset of this great council the crown, to our knowledge, was at the very least two thousand eight hundred florins in debt, and we are certain that each and every one of you, some more than others to the public knowledge of all here gathered, and we do not exclude ourselves from this, is severely indebted. Yet it seems to us that far from addressing this problem, which threatens the very capacity of the imperial government to function and respond to crises many continue to live as if all is well with Taleise. This even as our very capital, if one cares to walk beyond the confines of this palace and the dwellings of us lords. is little better than a tumbling ruin.

Concordant with this financial crisis our enemies both within and without, smelling as wild animals are wont to do blood in the water so to speak threaten us both overtly and covertly and everywhere seek to undermine imperial sovereignty, and the dignity of us Lords of Taleise. In the north Gurlois savages and Kolpchekian raiders blatantly pillage our lands, assisted by spies and rampant lawlessness. It is said that a hag, a Hag! of all things even now threatens Montcastel. While the efforts of Lords Severin, Cuimilt and Lefebvre are to be commended and praised, it is nonetheless clear that if not for their efforts this last year the northern provinces would be overrun while the Imperial government for lack of funds and political paralysis is incapable of responding to it. Meanwhile in the east, Freikorps audaciously conduct incursions into Nerlendais, while in the west in our Duchy of Orlandy, Gurlois raids and less overt forms of interference in our affairs are clearly evident. Banditry throughout the Empire is also clearly evident, along with material and moral corruption of every sort in the wake of many years of the tyrants influence.

These two disorders of the Empire in mind, it is clear that the Empire needs general peace and serenity, or more accurately a foreign policy that does not entertain expensive foreign wars, in order to rebuild its past splendour, while also engaging in a fierce defence of its borders to expel the enemies that plague it lest we be overrun by them. With such dire portents as Saskia of Pontria and the Kolpchekan hordes baying at our borders we cannot, after all, afford to remain idle.

To begin, ( for we dare not say we can resolve all these problems as if by magic ) to solve these problems. We propose the following.

-

1) The abolishment of the current Marechal system. Each Duc is ultimately responsible for their duchy with oversight of the fiefdoms within, and should be responsible for order and security in their territory and the general duties presently assumed to the Marechals. If dire need necessitates help from beyond a duchy, a Duc should rightly appeal to the crown, their undoubted liege-lord, rather than through an appointed intermediary.

2) Reform of the Taxation system. The present taxes imposed on the Lords of Taleise and directed to the Marechals should instead be, for the time being, directed to the relieving of the exorbitant imperial debt. Upon the repayment of the Empires debts then these funds, rather than continuing to be directed to the crown should rightly remain with the various noble lords on whom they are currently imposed, that they might be used locally for the betterment of the very same peasants who toiled to produce them, and to enable said lords to both live in the manner expected of ones of their high status and also pay off their own not insubstantial debts.

3)The Crown should appoint a Grand Marshal to oversee the general military organisation of the Empire in times of war and assist in suppressing various conflicts, of the kind which presently plague our borderlands, when necessary. We propose that just such marshal would find immediate purpose in assisting the ducs of Franchpais and Montcastel against the dire menace that afflicts the north.

4)The crown should appoint a Grand Steward to oversee the Imperial Chancellery and the management of the Empires funds and executive policies. This is necessary to prevent a repeat of wasteful and exorbitant expenditures characteristic of recent times and ensure the solvency of the crown. For should the crown be unable to fund the Empires defence or general measures for its health than the Empire would be at that moment near to collapse.

-

Again, I did not seek the throne at the outset of this council, nor do I particularly desire the burden the crown entails. But if the Saviour wills it by His inscrutable providence and you, my brother lords, see fit to elect me so, I will drink of the chalice of sovereignty and take up the burden for the sake of Taleise, our motherland, and endeavour to rule as a serene and virtuous prince who reigns justly not as a tyrant, meddling in the jurisdiction of his vassals, but as a steady arbiter who ensures the house in which we all live is constructed of steady walls. If it is not ordained to be so, then we express that we would wholeheartedly pledge loyalty and service to any Emperor, or Empress be it as it may, who rules with rectitude and wisdom, supports the Holy Church, and who executes policies which serve the Empires good and the good of its people, and the just interests of the thrones vassals.

~ Lord Alduin de Montesqieu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom