Blood Pressure

CaptainF

The Professional Poster
I had my blood pressure taken yesterday (considering the circumstances that it was in the ER and that it was after I sustained an injury) and it was 152 over 73. Last time that I took it before that it was about 140-145 over 70-75.

I'd like to know exactly what this means, if anyone does know.

Feel free to discuss blood pressure issues you may have.

My pulse is usually about around 45-50 BPM's, i'm a pretty active dude.

But what the hell does this mean? My older brother took it recently too and he was in the same range. The strange thing is that we both have completely different builds.

I can feel the heartbeat in my ear right now. That is how bad it has gotten.

I can feel the heartbeat in my ear right now. That is how bad it has gotten.

Holy wowness. When was the last time you took it?

Holy wowness. When was the last time you took it?

Maybe two years ago. Just recently (like over labour day weekend) I've been stressed beyond belief, so I grind my teeth, my eyes are bloodshot, etc.

Last time I took it, though it was maybe two years back, it was around 125/80 (I think, maybe I fudged up my memory). It's probably higher, though not insanely so. Still, I'll have to watch out for hypertension as I age.

Last time I took it, though it was maybe two years back, it was around 125/80 (I think, maybe I fudged up my memory). It's probably higher, though not insanely so. Still, I'll have to watch out for hypertension as I age.

What I wanna know is why there is such a disparity between my numbers. I mean, what the hell?:confused:

What I wanna know is why there is such a disparity between my numbers. I mean, what the hell?:confused:

I know one number is blood flowing out of the heart, and the other is flowing inward.

Not a clue, wiki that.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to indicate what such numbers say about my overall health, or what my heart is doing. What do such numbers say about someone as opposed to 120/80?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=2112

High blood pressure directly increases the risk of coronary heart disease (which leads to heart attack) and stroke, especially when it's present with other risk factors
It says it better than that wiki page.

Though I find it strange that you'd have a reading that's high on one and normal on the other. You'd probably have to ask your doctor just what the heck is going on with that.

There's also this to read: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003398.htm

One of these explanations may click with different people, but they all seem to lead to the same place.

Top Bottom