1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bloody Chinese

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by theone_mj2001, Sep 18, 2007.

1. theone_mj2001

theone_mj2001 Chieftain

I am playing the world map (18 players) as Arabia. The year is 1920 I got the whole of Africa under my empire and am playing a bloody defensive war against the Chinese.

The Chinese got 7 civilizations as their vassals and all of them seem to have hundreds and hundreds of units. (Why are those morons still licking chinese ass when they got so many men?)

And damn espionage. I have my Espionage slider at 30% and have 1-2 spies in all my major cities but still the top 5 cities of mine all have poisoned water. How can I stop the water from being poisoned again and again and again and again and again.

The Chinese have just boughts in a minimum of 6 stacks of more units than I have ever seen in my life. And to top that 'Mongols, Persia, India, Japan, Greeks, Germans, Russia' all have stacks and stacks of units. I lost two major cities. So please help me what on earth do I do?. Is there any way I can position myself and become his vassal.

And for peace Quin chin . .. .. .. .ing hiun is asking for my 3 of my best cities with wonders in them. So if I give them the cities with wonders and then reconquer them will i get back the wonders?

2. Thalatta

Thalatta Imperialistic

Wonders don't go away as long as you don't raze the cities. As for becoming an AI's vassal...well, then you lose. :p

3. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

It's about land and population size - not military strength.

It's a real pain. Aside from having higher EP's.... having all security centres etc and placing a spy in each city and some liberally sat around your territory - there's very little you can do.... personally, I just modified the game to remove this ridiculous element.

The only way you can force this is by taking some chinese cities - raze them if you have to.... otherwise he isn't going to stop before he gets what he wants.

You would get the wonders back, but I doubt that giving 3 cities is really going to help you to recover.... especially if they are your best ones. You just need to keep the defensive fight going as long as possible until you get a momentary edge. That edge needs to be used to go and seriously disabuse the Chinese capacity to wage war on you - you need to strike and strike hard. If you can't achieve it, I'm afraid your doom is sealed!! :D

4. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I was in the same position until, yesterday. Playing as Cyrus, on Noble, Earth18. My Empire stretched from SE Asia, India, Iran, Arabia, turkey, the Caucasus, Moscow, St Petersburg, and all mainland Europe and Britain (I rename the cities as appropriate to real life when I capture them), but china was Furious with me for capturing SE Asia, and attacked with some stack that, while not big enough to conquer me, could have taken a good few of my Asian cities as the majority of my army was still in Europe after finally destroying Elizabeth.

the solution: Nukes ;-)

now the chinese have virtually no army

5. krasny

krasny Prince

espionarge is broken :cry:

largely becuase spies cost as much in 2000BC as they do in 2000AD

this means that the AI goes spamtastic with spies

i corrected this (crudely) by raising the cost of a spy to that of an infantry unit

offer peace and a tech or two :)

AIs are tech whores!

6. theone_mj2001

theone_mj2001 Chieftain

Me just tore the entire invading army :D :lol:

Had to destroy 147 cavalry at one point all in two massive stack. And have just taken down one Indian city and Chinese city. Was about to invade China but damn there is one huge huge huge stack filled with only.....guess what.

Tanks and anti-tanks. My 50 odd tanks dont stand a chance. How do I counter this stack. Now I am wishing i had not played on this difficulty level Price. I cant sleep, i cant work. All I am always thinking is how to counter the Chinese. These buggers have taken over my life.

PS: plz tell me how do i get rid of espionage.

7. krasny

krasny Prince

stacks of doom are easy to destroy: soften them up with arty, then attack!

i created a (very) small mod to increase the cost of spies, if you want this mod just PM me with your email addy and i will send it to you :goodjob:

8. Halt

Halt Warlord

I am fairly certain that a post was made by one of the "Firaxis" guys, that a Spies ability to detect other spies was NOT implemented in the game so having spies in your cities have no effect. The buildings that make it harder to spy have effect but the units themselves are offensive only and not defensive.

Hope that helps

9. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

I saw someone post code to exactly the opposite effect. But they stated that the number of spies didnt increase, it was simply having one on a given tile when an enemy spy finished their turn increased the chance of that enemy spy being caught. Thus, you put one in every city.

10. snipafist

snipafist Prince

China in the Earth map is insanely good. Take a look at all the resources they get, and compare it to the Mongols or the Japanese. It's even worse if you start off in ridiculously overcrowded Europe.

11. Draknith

Draknith King

Well one way to defeat them is to use your godly powers and... CHEAT... hahaha

12. theone_mj2001

theone_mj2001 Chieftain

Ok I give up....Plz tell me how can I get a million gold right now and turn my empire into a war machine.

help me cheat and kick Chinese ass

13. Leader_H

Leader_H Chieftain

try nationhood and drafting :) in your globe theater city this could be very powerful.