Bloody Ruskies

simon.hurst

Chieftain
Playing on monarch, standard map, civs etc and yet again found myself without saltpeter (surprise surprise!). Uncanny how the AI builds ****ty cities in the middle of you empire (i.e. all desert) and low and behold where does the saltpeter appear. Anyway decided to grab some for myself by building a few cities and hoping the borders would expand. Found a nice piece right on the border with russia built a city and grabbed it straight away. Next trun without warning the ruskies attacked. The question is were they going to do this anyway or were they pissed about the saltpeter? Any comments.

In a game where I was Roman in a large continent, the Chinese, a powerful civ, were on the north beyond and at the mountains. I was in the grasslands. There was a small yet long mountain range desert to the west and then a gigantic jungle and a U-mountain range. (continuation of the Chinese mountain range.)

In the Jungle and a bit near it in some grasslands and plains next to the desert lived the Indians. I destroyed or captured most of their cities.

Then Peace enveloped the region. The Indians set up many cities in the desert, and I was doing the same thing, even though most of the desert was unproductive. During the next War with the Indians, I was able to take the desert cities.

Did the Indians know there would be Saltpeter in the desert? Perhaps. It almost looks like they're trying to get the saltpeter.

It seems like a really intelligent AI, but maybe they were just trying to get more land, just like Russia in your game?

Maybe the Russians thought you were weak? Maybe they had many more units than you? Strength is also a factor.

Usually civs don't attack you unless they're (A) trying to get land just for the heck of it, or (B) militaristic. If they are Furious with you or if you, in the units that they see (remember they don't know your strength unless you show it) are weaker than them, this aggravates the situation.

Agamemnus of course i was weak i didn't have any effing saltpeter! The point is not that they wholesale grab land (although they obviously do) its that they seem to know which tiny little bit of the desert to put their city in. I'm convinced that the resources are not spread either randomly or evenly. With the same land area i consistently get less than anyone else. Oh well enough whinning lets have some more winning. Death to the Russians and anyone else who gets in the way of my meglomania.

When the Ruskies *didn't* have any saltpeter and you *didn't* have any saltpeter, were you weak?

These resources *are* spread randomly. I'm pretty sure that the map generator doesn't conspire to help the AI cheat. I have tried several maps and it seems that the resources in all games are spread our randomly, even though you may not have access to them. AI has enough cheats as it is! :(

Anyways, to test this cheat, set up a map, all desert, and then set up a bunch of AI cities and cities of your own, evenly arranged. Then research yer gunpowder (or wait for them to research it) and count how much saltpeter you have and how much they have. Yes, I think this would be a good test.. :crazyeyes

Yes, death to the Russians I say, (I happen to be one) and <B> death </B> to the AI! :nuke:

The AI just builds cities everywhere. If you're like me you only build on favourable sites. It stands to reason they're more likely to find the saltpeter. I have had games where the AI builds a few squares away from saltpeter, I discover gunpowder 1st and rush a settler to the saltepeter square.

Top Bottom