Bloom & Vitalize

Mknn

Prince
Not sure where to ask this--searches didn't yield answers, and it seemed too specific for the FAQ thread. Here's the deal: my Ljosafar have conquered some land from the evil Ilians. Some of the land is desert. My Priests of Leaves cannot cast Bloom on the desert tiles. No problem, I think, since my arch mages can cast Vitalize. However, even after doing so multiple times, so the tiles are now grassland, I still can't cast Bloom.

Is this by design, a bug, or a clear case of operator error?

You cant cast bloom on a plot if it is a city, if the plot cant have a new forest (ie: deserts and water tiles), if it already has a feature or if it has an improvement and you arent playing as a civ which can have improvements in the forest (which the ljosalfar can).

You can post a save game if you want us to check it out. I would guess from your description that the plot already has a feature. Maybe an oasis or a flood plains.

Code:
bool CvUnit::canCreateFeature(int spell)
{
    if (plot()->isCity())
    {
        return false;
    }
    if (!plot()->canHaveFeature((FeatureTypes)GC.getSpellInfo((SpellTypes)spell).getCreateFeatureType()))
    {
        return false;
    }
    if (plot()->getFeatureType() != NO_FEATURE)
    {
        return false;
    }
    if (plot()->getImprovementType() != NO_IMPROVEMENT)
    {
        if (!GC.getCivilizationInfo(getCivilizationType()).isMaintainFeatures(GC.getSpellInfo((SpellTypes)spell).getCreateFeatureType()))
        {
            return false;
        }
    }
    return true;
}

Tiles that have improvements can't get Bloom'd. That's to keep other races from becoming mini-elves by adopting Fellowship of Leaves.

I'd like to see the Elves be able to Bloom already improved tiles, but I'm guessing that would have to be an entirely new spell and that would be way too much to do for Elves Only.

popejubal said:
I'd like to see the Elves be able to Bloom already improved tiles, but I'm guessing that would have to be an entirely new spell and that would be way too much to do for Elves Only.
They are able to do that for quite some time now.

That being said I remember playing an early version of FfH a while back and I loved the way your lands looked covered in forests. Now I can't tell what I have forests on or don't without hovering over the square and reading wether or not it says there is a forest there. Before you would just see your lands covered in trees, it looked really good.

That being said I remember playing an early version of FfH a while back and I loved the way your lands looked covered in forests. Now I can't tell what I have forests on or don't without hovering over the square and reading wether or not it says there is a forest there. Before you would just see your lands covered in trees, it looked really good.

There's a way to change it back to that which I used a few months back, but I can't remember the procedure or where it was posted.

If you are trying to cast Bloom on Floodplains, it will not work. The Floodplains and the Forests are both terrain features that are mutually exclusive. Other Desert tiles that have been upgraded by Vitalize should be able to get forests.

If you are upgrading Floodplains, you may want to stop one short of Floodplains/Grassland. Having a Floodplains/Plains tile (after one casting of Vitalize from the desert) with a Town nets you 4 :food:, 1 :hammers:, and 5+ :commerce: per turn! Upgrading from the Plains to Grasslands will trade the :hammers: for an additional :food:. In some cases you may want this instead...most of the time I prefer the :hammers:.

The Elven civs have been able to cast Bloom on top of improvements for quite a while.

I still wish that all civs were able to cast Bloom on improvements that can be built without clearing forests. I find it annoying to have to pillage Camps or wait to build them until after I can cast bloom there.

It was the floodplains issue. I had thought other tiles that I "Bloom'd" had been floodplains, but I was wrong--these were the first the empire had acquired.

@Mesix, thanks for the strategy advice--you are right that usually the hammer is worth more. Now if only I could de-bloom the tiles before I thought of that/read your post!

It was the floodplains issue. I had thought other tiles that I "Bloom'd" had been floodplains, but I was wrong--these were the first the empire had acquired.

@Mesix, thanks for the strategy advice--you are right that usually the hammer is worth more. Now if only I could de-bloom the tiles before I thought of that/read your post!

You can always cast scorch on the tile. That way, the grassland will become a plain.

Scorch doesn't do that. It turns plains into deserts and snow into tundra. If I could scorch my grassland hill mines you better believe I would.

Well you could change scorch to affect grassland...

Top Bottom