BLP files?

NeverMind

Proud to be Russian
In Civ6 all textures and models are stored in .BLP files. Any ideas on how to deal with these files?

I'm currently experimenting with Photoshop plugins for the format, although whether anything will come of this endeavour is yet to be determined.

Nor any of the WoW editors/converters.

I guess the waiting game begins for tools to be released from Firaxis...

[sound of tumble weed rolling in the distance]

I suspect this format is some kind of compression, so won't open in something like photoshop or Gimp.
Absolutely. It's a new Firaxis compression format, not a graphic format. Something like .fpk in Civ5.

Experimenting as well, haven't come up with anything. certainly challenging.

BLP seems to be a new Firaxis library format not limited to textures - all of the 3D unit art for example appears to be in a single file units.blp. It seems to have the same role as .fpk packages used in Civ 4 and Civ 5. I think we'll need the Civ 6 SDK before we can unpack and pack these.

NeverMind, what makes you say that? If they use that library, then it shouldn't be too bad to write our own converter.

I also tried a bunch of tools from WoW and none of them are working -- changing the file header to different BLP versions also doesn't work (won't even spit out garbage).

NeverMind, what makes you say that?

1) .blp files mentioned here as a format of one of the blocs compressors
2) Blosc, an extremely fast, multi-threaded, meta-compressor library - that seems suitable for what developers want from compression

Nothing else)

I looked at a blocs file and a Civ6 blp file in a hex editor and it doesn't look like the game's blp files are blocs.
The blocs file has a short header then a chunk of FF bytes, then the file data, whereas the Civ6 file has a lot of 00 bytes, and has a lot of strings like "BLP::BLPVector<...>", which I'm assuming refer to C++ classes in the game code?

1) .blp files mentioned here as a format of one of the blocs compressors
2) Blosc, an extremely fast, multi-threaded, meta-compressor library - that seems suitable for what developers want from compression

Nothing else)

I installed and ran bloscpack decompress and it doesn't work on the Civ 6 .blps.

I looked at a blocs file and a Civ6 blp file in a hex editor and it doesn't look like the game's blp files are blocs.
The blocs file has a short header then a chunk of FF bytes, then the file data, whereas the Civ6 file has a lot of 00 bytes, and has a lot of strings like "BLP::BLPVector<...>", which I'm assuming refer to C++ classes in the game code?

The .blps have different types too. The units.blp etc seems to be an package of all 3D units (Granny files) whereas the textures blps are individual texture files - probably a second layer of compression around DDS.

It looks like Firaxis' mod tools will include an Asset Cooker that outputs blps, but it will be disappointing if there isn't also a way of unpacking the game blps. Civ 4 and 5 both used .fpk and Firaxis released the tools Pakbuild and Nexus which both allowed the game libraries to be unpacked so it would be surprising if their Civ 6 mod tools didn't allow the same for blps.

Too bad Elbereth hasn't issued any updates to his generic "Dragon/Unpacker" tool for nearly six months.. because, *IT* would have been a temporary solution to inspect these BLP -- until the official Firaxis SDK gets released.

For now, i'm stuck at the "Ideas/Concepts" phase only without authentic gameplay resources to push development(s) further.

Oh -- well -- patience! :scan:

I have programs called "ninja ripper" and "noesis" for stealing models and textures from the game. You can see Gilgamesh's amulet here. And it's normal "yellow" texture. It seems normal textures are inverted in this game. The ripper creates a new model file for each mesh and doesn't create weights or sceleton files. So you can't make a leader yet.

Tried too all the WoW converters, in vain. I think Deliverator is right.

The units.blp etc seems to be an package of all 3D units (Granny files) whereas the textures blps are individual texture files - probably a second layer of compression around DDS.

Launched an analysis of the file TerrainAssetSet_Base.blp which seems to be at 60.5% the Lumena CEL bitmap format, primarily associated with the CEL file extension, other possible file formats include Corel Photo Paint CPT (39.4%), Unknown (0.1%) ...

Fore sure it should be a second layer of compression around dds !

About a half of a week I found a decoded blp header. Decoding headers isn't very easy so I want to say thanks to that people.
Here :
http://civ6.gamepedia.com/BLP

Last edited:
Top Bottom