Bnp

nonconformist

Miserable
Can we, you know actually be allowed to talk about a legal UK political party which is on our electoral list and which is legitimate under British law?

No, no. BNP is not just your usual xenophobic party, it's eeevil. It's more evil then the Nazis. Talking about such a devilish, vile and evil organization will cast a curse on the whole forum and corrupt it eternally. The dark spirit of BNP will make the forum a destroyed temple, with dire wolves and evil spirits walking around the empty halls. We can't allow it.

Second. It has been banned as a topic a long time, and the prominent British posters of that era are not around a whole lot now. If it does get out of hand, it could always just be re-banned as a topic. I'd be very surprised if BNP threads get particularly heated in comparison with some of the other threads that grace OT daily.

If BNP threads are banned, why does CFC not go ahead and ban all threads that could degenerate into flaming/trolling. I mean, look at every Israel vs. Palestine, Islam, or Kosovo thread in Off-Topic. They produce just as much meaningful discussion as any BNP thread could.

Can we, you know actually be allowed to talk about a legal UK political party which is on our electoral list and which is legitimate under British law?

No of course not, why would you expect reasonable and consistent moderation to allow that?

Well as much as think we should be able to talk about the BNP, it's easy to see why talking about them is disallowed: the opinions of them on this site are understandably and nearly universally disdainful; BNP threads would have the tendency to be non-productive because most everyone would just be carrying on about what flavor of jackass they are, and that wouldn't be much of a high quality thread.

If anyone did come to defend the BNP (not their right to speech, but their policies and sentiments specifically) that would nearly certainly imply posting racist or inflammatory content; so they wouldn't really be allowed to post anything in their "defense."

So discussions about Hitler/nazis is allowed, but not about the BNP ?

Consistent moderation :goodjob:

You people who are screaming about inconsistent moderation don't appear to understand the issues, or the history of this. The BNP threads were banned, because we had people who were active BNP members activists using the forum as a soapbox to push some pretty offensive views, and people couldn't contain themselves in responding with flaming and trolling. Yes; you can discuss Hitler/nazis, but I think you'd find that if Himmler and Goebbels wanted to use the forum to advocate for the nazi agenda, then we'd probably ban those discussions as well.

Now: I am prepared to reconsider this position (i.e. we'll revisit it in staff), given that the circumstances have changed.

But the moderators simply do not deserve some of the comments in this thread. They are unfair, and uninformed.

Okay, but considering the UK has a law against inciting racial hatred, as does this forum, doesn't that mean that the BNP on this site would be required to keep tot he same standard as, you know, in real life?

I think the point was that it is quite often not the BNP members/ pro-BNP forum members who break the rules but rather those disagreeing with them. So the point that the UK has laws against inciting racial hatred is irrelevant in this case as. The Moderators, rightly so, did not want to have to ban people who were expressing insulting and personal, though arguably morally correct, views to the contrary of the pro-BNP posters but would be forced to do so due to the forum rules.

I don't see the problem in the threads returning, I doubt i'd get involved because there isn't that much to say on the subject.

This is under discussion now in staff, but I'm wondering just what there is to discuss about the BNP. What kinds of topics do you all feel need to be brought up and talked about?

Stuff that comes up in the news?

Threads I can remember getting closed:

The one about Nick Griffin being barred from the Royal Garden Party.
The one about the BNP candidate who had a fight in the street with some asian kids (maybe this was part of the election thread and didn't get closed).
Whether the BBC was right to allow Nick Griffin on Question Time.

The BNP, like it or not, feature more and more heavily in our political system. They've got 2 MEPs, they actually received a quite sizeable amount (1.9%) of the vote in the last election for a smaller party, they won a seat in the London assembly a couple of years ago.

I don't think the topic should be banned just because it can lead to flaming and trolling of its supporters.

This is under discussion now in staff, but I'm wondering just what there is to discuss about the BNP. What kinds of topics do you all feel need to be brought up and talked about?

I dunno, how about the fac they're Britains 5th biggest party (or 6th?) and are a force in local, general and European elections?

If the problem is that in BNP threads some people can't refrain from posting hateful comments, wouldn't the best solution be to ban such people from BNP threads, rather than banning everyone from them? Or alternatively, simply being very strict (I.e. Instant ban strict) on those people?

The problem with it is that for the 2010 parliamentary elections, we were banned from any reference to candidates in our own political wards

Chillax, we get it. Ainy gave a very good reason why it was banned, hopefully they will overturn that now as the situation has changed.

I probably shouldn't say this, but some moderators are leaning towards allowing the discussion. We haven't reached a consensus yet, but we are actively discussing it.

Top Bottom