1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Best CIV for making $$$ ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Blue Emu, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Blue Emu

Blue Emu GroFAZ

Just as an experiment, I would like to try being filthy rich. At least, in Civ-5, since I can't seem to manage it in real life.

Which combination BNW CIV (no DLC) and strategy would you suggest?

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Venice, since they get 2x of trade routes and if you happen to be lucky enough to make them all coastal you are in luck.

Portgual however gets 2x from Resource Diversity also increasing the income.

3. GoStu

GoStu King

Venice is great for trade routes, provided you can get them all up and running. Another strong contender is Portugal: her trade routes are just straight-up worth more, and she has no limit on settling/expanding and making extra gold in City connections.

4. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

5. werothegreat

werothegreat Warlord

Celts (or Ethiopia). Found the first religion, pick Tithe as your Founder belief, and spread it to every corner of the world. Can also be done with Arabia and picking Desert Folklore as your Pantheon.

6. GoStu

GoStu King

I'd also say Arabia can do pretty well with the Bazaar and extended Caravan range. Caveat: not all maps are ideal for Caravans.

7. Arcaian

Arcaian Warlord

Don't forget the desert start bias for the desert folklore + tithe combo :)

8. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

If you talk about that do not forget Morocco, thought it is just fixed amount of added gold, making trade routes more efficient only early on. But Morocco can use desert folklore/tithe/Petra combo better.

9. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

Venice, Portugal, Morocco, Carthage

10. HelloGoodbye123

HelloGoodbye123 Warlord

Lets not forget persia's bank gives more gold than it replacement :p lolll

11. jzoker

jzoker Chieftain

portugal for sure. i always get 150+gpt

12. GoStu

GoStu King

Desert folklore & tithe doesn't impress me that much. I don't think I've ever broken 100 GPT from it. It's too hard IMO to spam out there and keep the world converted when something like half the other AI will stop at nothing to convert everything back. It's not that I don't like Tithe's extra income, it's that I don't think it's on the same level as Portugal or Venice's bonuses.

I can see some merit in using Initiation Rites to do a quick sweep of the map and rake in a fat stack of early cash though. Not as much of a long term income as the above but it's got its own special merit.

13. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I agree with this. Venice and Portugal are top tier, followed closely by Morocco and Arabia (Bazaar is godly provided you don't get the whole world to hate you).

An economic focus using Celts' and Ethiopians' religious prowess is good but not any more than an economic focus using Poland's extra social policies.

14. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Prince

1. Play Venice (double the Trade Routes)

2. Strategically and globally position your Puppeted City States (for maximum Sea Trade Range).

3. Coastal Cities wherever possible (Greatest Trade Income)

4. Go Tall in Venice (Because you cannot go Wide right?)

5. Avoid purchasing most Mercantile City States (Ally Them for their Unique Resources).

6. Use Liberty Social Policy Tree to get an early Great Merchant of Venice (self-explanatory).

7. Complete Commerce Social Policy Tree asap (self explanatory).

8. Build Harbors ((for maximum Sea Trade Range).

9. Spam any Early-Mid Game Wonder in Venice that gives +Gold or +Great Merchant of Venice points. (but don't forget to stop doing this once you are in Late Game)

10. Use excess Great Merchant's of Venice to construct Custom Houses near Venice.

11. Build lots of Trading Posts.

12. Use Rationalism Tree to make your Trading Posts (especially in Jungles w/Universities)also Science resources.

13. Create a Religion like this:

Pantheon (based on Luxuries near Venice or God-King)
    1st Founder Belief: Tithe or Church Property (if you intend to Spread Religion)
    1st Follower Belief: Monasteries (if you have those Luxuries or Religious Community if not)
    2nd Follower Belief: Religious Community or Pagodas (only if you already Monasteries)
    Enhancer Belief: Religious Texts (you must intend to Spread Religion if you are Enhancing)
    Reformation Belief : Charitable Missions (buy the Allies you need after this at a discount)

Above all, don't be a Warmonger and keep AI trade flowing.

15. jlim201

jlim201 King

Venice. You can't beat Venice. Last game: 1000 GPT, during Golden Age. My capital is at 43 pop, dont need to keep sending food trade routes. Running trade routes everywhere, have little bases everywhere so AI's can trade me stuff, have 3 battleships (thats it for military)., Archipelago map.

16. Loucypher

Loucypher King

The Netherlands are pretty decent as well. While they're not as much as a monetary power as Venice is, they do rank up there and have the best early-game-gold game due to the easier trading they can do. In the longer run Arabia, Portugal, Morocco and certainly Venice will catch up, but it's a good option.
    If you prefer a more proactive money-game, Songhai works. They are however dependant on sacking cities and barbarians, so they're not nearly as stable as the true moneymongers, but they're there.

17. Trackmaster

Trackmaster Warlord

Morocco is an interesting choice, not just because it's UA gives you more money, but moreso because it encourages you to play to make more money to take advantage of its UA. It encourages you to beeline to Petra and to grab as many trade routes as possible.

18. MrDumpstertrash

MrDumpstertrash Chieftain

Lol, only 150? Try Venice, low end is around 500+gpt. Why is anyone saying anything about any other civ? He asked for the best, VENICE

19. OBRkenobi

OBRkenobi Chieftain

definitely venice double trade routes than usual

20. TheBoulderite

TheBoulderite Prince

Veeeeeeeeeeeeniiiiiiiiiiiiice.