BNW - FPtD 1 - Ethiopia

The Zulu are looking ominous in that demographics screen....

Don't build a caravan yet, its too early and there are other immediate priorities! You have to be patient and lay down a solid platform to eventually go tall.

Start building a library in Harar.

Build another worker in your capital.
When its border expands in 5 turns, purchase the silver tile and improve it immediately with your initial worker. If your border will naturally expand there next (and in decent time), don't purchase it and instead improve the eastern stone resource with your initial worker. Guard this worker with your archer while it does the stone, as barbarians may emerge from the fog. This worker will then move on to improve Harar's wine which unlocks in 8 turns.

With that worker off to Harar, I'd be tempted to immediately go south with your archer and spearman to take out the barb camp (earning brownie points) and try block off the English from that juicy 3rd city spot. If it is taken, return home.

When the 2nd worker is made, keep improving tiles around your capital to get your hammers up (especially the stone). Make 1 more archer, then begin a stone works. Follow it up with a library. By now Harar must be close to finishing its library and you can start the NC. The stone will help finish it quicker and help with happiness. Also chop non-tundra forest to speed things up if required. Then pump out a settler to claim that 3rd city.

If the southern city spot is taken, return your troops and don't build another archer. I mentioned to build a second archer while your troops go south, because barbs could emerge from the northern tundra and cause havoc around your capital and be a major setback. I'd even fog-bust with that archer to minimize the risk of any interruption.

Remember to get philosophy and then continue teching towards Composite Bowmen and the extra caravan route. After NC is completed, build another archer to keep your military value up, or maybe get 1 or 2 caravans going to help make cash to upgrade your archers to bowmen ASAP. The silver and wine should enable you to have that 3rd city happily (whether its down south or in the tundra). If you manage to get the southern city, send your capitals worker down there and make another one (after the caravans) to continue work at Addis Ababa.

For a religion Enhancer, I'd take Defender of the Faith coupled with Mosques. If mosques is already taken, go with Cathedrals or Asceticism. You need the initial happiness to go tall, until you can later venture forth and find some mercantile city states. :yup:

@Kiwi Tyrant - after reading that post, I want to load Civ up right now and take our next batch of turns. I'll have to wait to tomorrow though to give other people a chance to give their two cents and also because my son is in bed. Thank you so much! Very detailed!

Given Harar is 1 pop atm and not growing, I'm not sure of the added value of a library. If the sole purpose of the library is to give access to NC a bit faster - that's a pretty steep cost for a faster NC, sacrificing a lot of growth in the process (say a granary).

Given Harar is 1 pop atm and not growing, I'm not sure of the added value of a library. If the sole purpose of the library is to give access to NC a bit faster - that's a pretty steep cost for a faster NC, sacrificing a lot of growth in the process (say a granary).

They have hit their happiness cap! Granary will add nothing; best to put off til library is complete. Harar is there to secure early wine for happiness and silver for trade. Early NC is vital, allowing you to keep up with science and get to Composite Bows quickly. If they get DoW'ed for expanding too quickly (or too close to England), fighting an Archer war will bog them down and its basically all over.....

This 'king' level is a step up for these guys and the Ai bonuses dictate an early efficient play style. In my opinion, growth is nothing unless you can take advantage of it. The growth will come, but you must lay down a solid foundation first to leverage it. ;)

@MarshalN - I noticed Harar wasn't growing as well, however it's working the hill tile for extra production right now since we are at -1 happiness. Could work a food tile, but with severely stunted growth, what's the point? Harar will grow once we get the luxury tiles improved and the cow tiles. We'll also eventually get a fishing boat.

Top Bottom