1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] How much protection money to offer?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by JustinianIV, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

I'd like to know what the minimum for bribing bully AIs is. This is just so they don't DoW you.

I remember back in GnK days, it was something like 1-3 gpt which they would be happy with the rest of the game. As long as you paid them that and didn't get aggressive with them, they would not DoW you.

I've been playing it safe and giving Shaka 5 gpt, and that seems to be enough for him. Still, that can be a lot to give per turn if you have one or two more Shakas in your vicinity.

Difficulty: Deity

2. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Usually you would bribe AI civs to DOW each other rather than as "protection". The AI will DOW you if it wants, and it can come out of the blue. You're better using that 5gpt to pay some unit maintenance, having a not insignificant army is the (almost) sure fire way to prevent being DOWed(unless you do stuff that pisses the AI off).

Shaka is a unique civ in that he always DOWs his immediate neighbors.

3. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Wondermonger

As far as I know, 5 GPT is the minimum at which the AI will display a bright green we've traded recently modifier. Less than that won't help as much or long.

I'd say it's particularly useful with Shaka, since he will otherwise get hostile regardless of your army size. Probably because he's pretty much incapable of being afraid or deceptive.