1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BNW is the final expansion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kennan, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Kennan

Kennan Chieftain

It all points that in one way:

"According to producer Dennis Shirk, the Brave New World team has worked to bring the sense of wonder to the late game in what is likely the title’s final expansion."
    Source:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c...on-will-be-quintessential-civ-experience.aspx

"Brave New World is the second major expansion for Civilization 5 and Firaxis intends for it to be the last"
    Source:
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/12/civi...orld-explored/

Seems like this is it. I'm hoping for a grand final!
    I honestly thought G&K was the final and was quite satisfied with that.

...But maybe we get CiV on the iPad next year? The new Pitboss muiltiplayer features would be fantastic on iOS:
    "XCOM: Enemy Unknown lead designer Jake Solomon has confirmed that his studio is definitely thinking about an iOS version of Civilization V"
    Source:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Sid+Meier%27s+Civilization+V/news.asp?c=49984

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

One of the things I read indicated that they hadn't planned to do one after G&K until G&K did so well. So even if they aren't planning one past BNW, if it does well, they could be persuaded to keep going. And the graphics engine isn't even close to being obsolete yet. They don't really need to get Civ VI out the door.

3. aluelkdf

aluelkdf Prince

I think we will see Civ 6 in 2015.

4. Bakspatel

Bakspatel Prince

They work under the assumption of finishing the game with this expansion. There could still be a chance to further expand the game if they find extra reasons for it.
    Wouldn't count on it though, unless we manage to give them plenty of reasons for another expansion =)

5. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Not too many games go past two expansions so in that sense I wouldn't be surprised. Doesn't mean there won't be additional DLC's--scenarios and such.

6. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Warlord

I agree.

Besides from the interviews, what you can hear from the actual Firaxis suggests that they are not planning on making BNW the very last addition to the game.

Either I dreamt this or Dennis Shirt in one of the interviews said something along the lines of "we don't know what future will being, we did not make any plans yet."

Colonization! My wallet is open any time! I am pretty sure that I am not he only one. What other reason would you want?

7. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

... More seriously though, even if they worked it as a last expansion, they could suddenly be motivated for a third one hehe...

8. justinianI

justinianI Chieftain

This all comes down to us, the fans, I think. If BNW sells and is received as well as G&K then we might have a shot at future content. I don't think Civ needs a graphical update right now, so they don't need VI for graphics. I think there is so much more they could do and if they have good reason (sales and desire from fans) then they have plenty of reason to do so.

9. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

My impression of those statements was that they were entirely guesswork based on what has happened before in civ and fan site expectations. I place literally no value on these statements.

Besides, I'm ok with it either way, since once they finish with 5 it's straight onto 6. Win win situation!

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

In the Game Reactor interview, Dennis was careful not to rule out another expansion. But his comments did give the impression that one isn't planned.

11. Cromat

Cromat Warlord

I think Civ5 is only now starting to run well on low and mid-range laptops with integrated graphics right? Civ was never about cutting edge graphics so I hope they take their time before VI. I don't know if they'll make another expansion or more DLC though.

12. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

I'd only want to see CivVI start next if they were going to take the time to make a more flexible graphical and gameplay engine. Something that could do whatever you wanted (within reason) without running into limitations embedded deep in the code. Think the Source of the turn-based 4X world or something. That would be ace. Then they could make lots of games with it.

We don't need a more powerful or pretty graphics engine, but I suspect we could do with a better-engineered one.

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I would be shocked to see a third expansion. You can't just keep adding more and more things to the game without taking away from the fun of the core game itself. More isn't always better.

14. IkM

IkM King

Civ 5 is one of the best games I've ever played and I'm sure BNW will make it far better. so, thank you Firaxis for this fantastic game.

15. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    Never thought i could be in love with a button........

16. plokoon9619

plokoon9619 Warlord

Yah I can't wait to go back to a new Civ with only 14 Civilizations, and most of the concepts we had introduced in Civ 5 not being there until the next expansion.

17. vcutag

vcutag Warlord

In that case, you could, you know, keep playing Civ V.

18. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Warlord

In that case, third expansion would be most welcome. I am with plokoon9619 on this one.

19. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

In that case, you could, you know, eat caik

20. vcutag

vcutag Warlord

I laik caik.