[BNW] Multiplayer computer/AI stupid? Smart in Single Player?

grandnexus

Chieftain
So my friends and I (3 humans) allied up and plays against 5 computers allied up on Emperor mode. We slaughtered them so easily it wasn't even funny. Their tech was terrible too, they should have been out teching us and they were actually behind. Two of the computers literally did nothing, they just sat there. Only once did they declare war and they moved their troops in, barely attacked, then just ran like idiots.

I've seen this kind of behavior a lot in multiplayer games where a few human players play with the computer. Simply, the computer just mindlessly moving units around doing nothing.

Now, I know the AI is inherently stupid, but in single player games I can tell the computer is at least doing SOMETHING, is teching, is contacting me via diplomacy etc etc etc.

What's going on with the AI on multiplayer mode? Did they program a completely different algorithm for multiplayer?

Part of it's because you 3 are teaming up, meaning you have more luxuries and pop and gold, while they're stuck by themselves.

But yes, the MP AI tends to be alot more passive than usual, and no one quite knows why.

Yeah AI is dumb as in SP and even dumber in MP. If you want to play real civ join the Civilization No Quitters steam group and play a 6 player FFA. Best fun I've had in a videogame for years.

Yeah AI is dumb as in SP and even dumber in MP. If you want to play real civ join the Civilization No Quitters steam group and play a 6 player FFA. Best fun I've had in a videogame for years.

Yea but those games take FOREVER. Even with just my roomate and I, each turn (during sequential turns when in war) takes like 3-4 minutes

If you like challenges and are the patient type (an average game must last something like 6months - if you're not noob and last till then end), play GMR: it's sequential, and Emperor&above players there know their stuff.

Both the single player and multiplayer AI's are epically stupid. The computer just looks more stupid in multiplayer than single player because it's up against real thinking humans. In single player its more like 1 human up against a bunch of AI's. The AI's trade and cooperate with each other, giving them a boost.

In multiplayer the AI's do not have trade partners, only humans around who will exploit them. The AI can't think or reason so it can't figure out what to do in situations that are in the least bit unusual.

The AI is completely clueless in combat marching units in at random or single file. It will often even make wonders instead of units while being crushed. The AI never has any idea what it's doing and looks strong only through blatant cheating bonuses at higher levels.

Both the single player and multiplayer AI's are epically stupid. The computer just looks more stupid in multiplayer than single player because it's up against real thinking humans. In single player its more like 1 human up against a bunch of AI's. The AI's trade and cooperate with each other, giving them a boost.

In multiplayer the AI's do not have trade partners, only humans around who will exploit them. The AI can't think or reason so it can't figure out what to do in situations that are in the least bit unusual.

This isn't true -- it's not just an appearance. In the MP games we played with two humans vs 3 AI teams, the AIs were hapless, hopeless, helpless. In one case Hiawatha built two settlers and had them just wander around his borders for the first 100 turns. Provoking the AI into war is extremely difficult, and it's rare that they will stay at it. There's something just ... off ... about the current MP AI programming.

The ai isn't that smart in sp either so raising the difficulty can give you a more worthy challenge. A is have wiped out players in Deity before. .

Top Bottom