BNW UU and Civilization Differences Charts: All the BNW Civs info in one place

WINate

Chieftain
I don't know how many of you saw my G&K Charts, but I am back with updated charts for BNW! The Civilization DIfferences Chart is a great overview of all civs, as it depicts their UAs, start biases, UIs, and the difference between UUs and UBs and their standard counterparts. Note that some pre-BNW Civs that didn't have start biases before have gained a start bias in this expansion. The Unique Unit Differences Chart is more of a militaristic overview, as it depicts each UU, sorted by era and type of unit.

(Also note the large file size is to maintain high quality.)

Version 1.1.1 addresses the fact that the Berserker is available after researching Metal Casting instead of Steel.

Note that the Civilization Differences Chart has been updated to version 1.1.2 to address fixes with the Floating Gardens. The UU Differences Chart is currently still at v1.1.1, however.

UU Differences Chart v1.1.1
Civilization Differences Chart v1.1.2

Some more notes about version 1.0 and beyond:
The same rules that applied to the G&K Charts apply to these as well. You may distribute these as you wish. Please let me know me of any issues you find by either posting here or PMing, no matter how minute. If I don't reply, you may edit them.

If you edit them, please change the "last modified" date and the version number, upload them at a high quality (no imgur or jpeg compression), and tell me what you did. I'll see it eventually. I can provide Pixelmator and Photoshop files of the images, as well export them basically any image format if desired.

Recent updates:
Spoiler :

Version 1.1.0 addresses the fall patch. I apologize for the delay on getting this out, but here it is:

Version 1.0 is here! Version 0.9.2 was a great refinement, and I've done a little more refining to the Civ Diff chart in v1.0.0. (The UU Chart is unchanged except for the version number and last modified date.)

Great stuff. Thanks for this
No problem. Thanks for providing feedback.

1. Do some civs not have start biases?
Yes. Not all civs have start biases. Civs without a start bias listed should be assumed to have no start bias. We'll see if I can fit that in the notes. Before BNW, a little less than half did not, but after the expansion, only ten have no start bias. I extracted this information directly from the xml files (more information here).

2. Indonesia's Candi also provides a base of +2 :c5faith: regardless
Thanks. Did not see that.

This is wonderful! I'll definitely use it as a reference. Thanks so much :)

One quick correction on Poland's unique building, the Ducal Stable: your guide says that it gives 15% production for everything, but in actuality it (just like the normal stables) only gives a 15% production bonus when building mounted units.

It's an easy mistake to make, since the in-game tooltip is confusing. The official manual says: "It gives +15% production and +15 XP for Mounted units; each pasture worked by city gives +1 Production and +1 Gold."

The building is still very powerful since it costs no maintenance and gives a hammer and gold bonus to all nearby pastures.

Did you get the start biases from the software? Because I've had Indonesia start inland in my current game, and I've had Sweden start in jungles more than once.

This is wonderful! I'll definitely use it as a reference. Thanks so much :)

One quick correction on Poland's unique building, the Ducal Stable: your guide says that it gives 15% production for everything, but in actuality it (just like the normal stables) only gives a 15% production bonus when building mounted units.

It's an easy mistake to make, since the in-game tooltip is confusing. The official manual says: "It gives +15% production and +15 XP for Mounted units; each pasture worked by city gives +1 Production and +1 Gold."

The building is still very powerful since it costs no maintenance and gives a hammer and gold bonus to all nearby pastures.

Ah. Yes, I was a little unsure on that one, as the Civilopedia is a little vague, and I haven't played as Poland yet. Thanks. I've removed that from the Ducal Stable in v0.9.2.

Did you get the start biases from the software? Because I've had Indonesia start inland in my current game, and I've had Sweden start in jungles more than once.

Yes, I extracted them right from the xml files. More information here. Since that site only covers vanilla, I also went into each respective DLC directory and both of the expansion directories as well. It would be great if a modder could check my work if there is some uncertainty. However, it should be noted that a start bias is not a start guarantee. For instance, I've been playing as Brazil a lot. I've loaded four games up (one on continents, one on pangea, and two on shuffle); on the first three, I was surrounded by jungle, but on my latest game (shuffle), I am basically on an archipelago, and there is jungle not ten tiles away from me, occupied by CSes. So with a start bias, you are going to get that terrain the majority of the time, but certainly not 100% of the time.

Version 1.0.0 is here! Check the original post for details. Thank you everybody who has contributed to this!

Edit: Subscribe to this thread for updates.

Thanks for working on this. Really nicely done!

Hi Winate,

Thank you for your efforts, very nicely done! Would you mind sharing the eps file or a higher resolution png? Current one is a bit fussy when printed on A3 or larger.
thx

Hi Winate,

Thank you for your efforts, very nicely done! Would you mind sharing the eps file or a higher resolution png? Current one is a bit fussy when printed on A3 or larger.
thx

Thanks! It looks like Pixelmator 2 doesn't support EPS (apparently older versions did). File extensions I can provide: PNG, JPEG, JPEG-2000, TIFF, PXM, PSD, PDF, BMP, GIF, TGA, and WebP. I also don't believe minus compresses images (which is why I use it for the charts), but I can provide you the image in any of the formats listed above by uploading them here.

These charts have been updated to version 1.1.0 to reflect the changes in the fall patch. View the original post for links.

Haven't gone through it all, but I believe the Berserker is available at Metal Casting instead of Steel. Some UU traits carry over on upgrade but others don't - Legion road building is one that doesn't.

Haven't gone through it all, but I believe the Berserker is available at Metal Casting instead of Steel.
That's interesting; I'll have to check that out. Luckily, both techs are available in the Medieval Era, so the charts wouldn't really change either way. :)

Some UU traits carry over on upgrade but others don't - Legion road building is one that doesn't.
From the footnotes:
→ – This attribute retains through unit upgrades. (All others are specific to the unit only.)
In other words, attributes preceded by a • bullet point don't retain through unit upgrades, while attributes preceded by an → arrow do retain through unit upgrades. That was the most simplistic way I could think of including this in the chart, although it is subtle. However, if a bullet point should be an arrow or vise-versa, please let me know.

Thanks for your feedback!

Top Bottom