1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolivar Update

Discussion in 'Humankind - General Discussions' started by Saxo Grammaticus, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Saxo Grammaticus

Saxo Grammaticus Warlord

A new update is on the horizon, one that will surely liberate us from the benighted oppression of the Old World ;) Could this herald the arrival of a revolutionary persona in the manner of Manuela Sáenz? Only time will tell, as there is presently no release date.

In the meantime, Catoninetales posted "War Support and Surrender in the Bolivar Update" over on G2G, the text of which I present below:
    Work-in-progress images available in the original post. The pyrrhic changes certainly strike me as heading in the right direction.

Ay, suppose there is nothing left to say except my final wish is for the happiness of the forum!

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I really like the changes overall. The negative war score from captured territories that aren’t your culture is a nice way of making influence more important. However, I wish under your religion would also count for stopping the war score loss. Any way it‘s a much more elegant way to make you plan your wars and fight swiftly compared to the forced ending when the enemy reaches zero war support.

Saxo Grammaticus likes this.
  3. Saxo Grammaticus

Saxo Grammaticus Warlord

I am curious how it will impact the pace of war. So far, war has had an awkward tempo in my games, where it is often the case that I can quickly clear the field of hostile forces well before I can siege all hostile cities. As such, I have to "save" battles to prop up War Support if I want to take territory. Swapping out the forced surrender for ticking attrition will probably help with that. Ransacking will also provide another avenue to attack the adversary's War Support, but I can see the rationale for why ransacking would inspire resistance.

I like the idea of adding religion to influence's new role in War Support. Humankind has rather beautiful influence/religion mechanics. For example, I am not aware of a comparable game where war can break up cultural and religious hegemony. Even though the core can be further developed, it is great to see influence given more of a role in war.

Siptah likes this.
  4. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Warlord

It might be time to revisit Humankind. I played for a few months after initial release, but I felt no connection to any of the leaders because of the mix-and-match approach.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I expected that, initially. But I found that importing avatars from people I know from the forums (here and g2g) gives the otherwise random personalities a kind of familiarity. I frequently get my butt kicked by the avatars of very nice and friendly folks.

The_J, Kjimmet, Jkchart and 2 others like this.
  6. Saxo Grammaticus

Saxo Grammaticus Warlord

QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS (PART1)

After taking a look at the changes to Surrender and War Support last week, we want to focus on some quality of life improvements this week, ranging from AI and tooltips to eye candy and wonders. With such a grab bag of improvements, we’re sure there’s something for most players here!

Urban Planning Made Easy

Developing your cities is a core part of playing Humankind. But while expanding your cities with new districts would give you immediate feedback and even suggest good spots, the benefits of improving your cities with Infrastructures were less obvious. Many times, you’d act on a gut feeling about how many relevant tiles like forests or rivers the city already had. No more guessing, though: With the Bolivar update, the game will do the counting and math for you and display a preview of the yields a new infrastructure will give you. You can also check what an existing infrastructure is giving you at the moment.

Spoiler :
    BolivarInfrastructures.jpeg

(Un)Stable Beyond Measure

Speaking of city management, keeping an eye on your stability is important if you want to expand your cities instead of constantly fighting rebels. Yet when your cities were doing particularly well or badly, it could be difficult to judge how much room you had for further expansion, or how much effort it would take to fix the situation. In the Bolivar update, you can tell at a glance, as we have added a dedicated space for stability outside the 0-100 range to the tooltip.

Spoiler :
    BolivarStability.jpeg

Clean Pollution

There’s no denying that before launch, we severely underestimated the industrial powerhouses our players would create in the late game, so the pollution system was more restrictive for these players than intended. While we have already tweaked the balance to stop the game from ending too soon, some players still have problems with the local and global penalties for pollution. With the next update, you will be able to disable the penalties for pollution, so that you can build your cities without worrying about pollution limits.

A Modern Coat of Paint

Don’t you just hate it when your seat of power is literally the oldest building in your empire, while the far-flung cities have fancy, modern main plazas? Well, good news! You can now get your architects and engineers to renovate your Administrative Centers to a more modern appearance. Since some players may want to preserve the heritage of their earlier cultures at least in part, this action will be done manually from the city screen, allowing you to choose which administrative center to renovate.

Spoiler :
    BolivarRenovationBefore.jpeg BolivarRenovationAfter.jpeg

The Modding: Reloaded

Even with the modding tools still in beta, we have already seen some great mods from our community. Unfortunately, with mod support not fully integrated yet, using more than one mod at a time used to be a little inconvenient. Luckily, after the next update, the game will reload the mod configuration of your latest save automatically when you relaunch the game.

We hope you found something exciting in this varied mix of improvements. There’s even more to look forward to, so come back next week for Part 2 of our look at the Quality of Life improvements in the Bolivar Update!

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit.../blogs/815-quality-of-life-improvements-part1

Mind Elemental, Atlas627 and Gedemon like this.
  7. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Renovate city centres option is lovely and exactly what I wanted. I wonder if the AI will ever do it but either way its nice I can personalise my empire a bit more and get to see those later city centres more!

Saxo Grammaticus and grug like this.
  8. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I still haven't forgiven Antsou for some things

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Saxo Grammaticus, Siptah and Jkchart like this.
  10. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

11. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Just in case anyone missed it, the Bolivar update is currently available as public beta on Steam.