Bombard Cannon

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
EDIT: new link for updated model, made by Xenomorph.

Despite not finding a way to use EE2 anims in Civ, I have converted a probably most wanted unit from this game, by rigging it to anims of a bombard earlier created by Woodelf and C. Roland.

This is a functional bombard from EE2. Crew not included, this is a single-figure unit. It has a gloss map and teamcolor, but doesn't have damage states. It is somewhat animated - it will recoil when firing, but there is no death animation and the wheels won't roll when it moves (although this is hardly noticeable); still, I think it's quite useful as it is now.

I also took the liberty to create a simple model/texture edit, to make an Ottoman Great Cannon out of it. It features a horizontal-facing longer muzzle, and longer base, and also a non-teamcolored texture with Ottoman insignia.

Both models use the same animations, and the textures are interchangeable (so you can make non-Ottoman civ-colored great cannon, and Ottoman Bombard out of those, if you want to, simply by swapping the textures).

Most units (basically, every one that should contain moving parts, like catapult or oar-propelled galley) are, therefore, still out of my reach, but I can convert some simple units by rigging them to existing anims, and I'll probably be doing this later on.

I rigged it to the cannon animation. I'm testing out how it looks now.
[EDIT]
Ok, here's some screenies of what I've got so far.

I edited the default cannon animations to give the bombard a different dieing sound (you no longer hear a guy scream) and to give it a different fire fx. The wheels spin, but not quite as fast as they should. Still, that's a minor problem. I'll be working on the Turk bombard later.

I edited the default cannon animations to give the bombard a different dieing sound (you no longer here a guy scream) and to give it a different fire fx. The wheels spin, but not quite as fast as they should. Still, that's a minor problem. I'll be working on the Turk bombard later.

Since Turk bombard is a simple reshape, you should have no problems with it (basically, I think copy/paste should work with your working mortar); likewise, if you're adding damage states, they should be compatible with both models at once, since both use the same textures with the same UVs.

So where can I download Xeno's improved version?

Thanks a lot guys!!! After adding some beer-powered crew it works great as a dwarven mortar.

Now I keep my fingers crossed for the ballista. Elves certainly can use it ;)

Attachments

• Mortar.jpg
    Mortar.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 279
You're welcome. :)

Ballista, though, is extremely tricky, and I don't think it'll be among the units converted soon, if ever. It needs much more difficult anims work, I'm still not sure it can be done.

I posted the updated models in my models thread.
Or you can just go straight there.

I've downloaded the file but the best I can get in game is an all pink bombard. I've added other units to my mod and have not had a problem but something is amiss with what I'm doing to add this one. Anyone who has used this unit....could you please post a copy of the settings you used in the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml file?

Which file are you pointing to? cannon_fx.nif shouldn't be used. Point only to bombardb.nif (like this).
Code:
<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_BOMBARD</Type>
			<fScale>0.44</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
			<NIF>Art/Units/Siege-Artillery_units/Bombard/BombardB.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Siege-Artillery_units/Bombard/cannon.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Siege-Artillery_units/Bombard/BombardB.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
		</UnitArtInfo>

Which file are you pointing to? cannon_fx.nif shouldn't be used. Point only to bombardb.nif (like this).

I had done almost all that was in your code. I was pointing to the correct files and locations. I did change some of the graphic numbers mirroring your code and now it works correctly. So I'm still a bit confused but am very pleased that it is working now. I also wish to express my deep appreciation to you for taking the time and effort to respond and post example code.

Top Bottom