1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bombard City Defense

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by c0pr4x, Jan 17, 2013.

1. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

I would like to know why when i try to bombard a city defense.. the % doesnt goes down at all. It say it was succeed but it's stay the same %! Why?

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm still not fully sure how this happens but it does seem to be that when a city gets to a particular level of defense, it begins to require a much stronger source of bombard to have any affect at all.

I know that there is a BombardDefense factor (a percent modifier) that has always been somewhat invisible and operating behind the scenes, and I just added it's total to be expressed in the defense help popup that you get in your city when you hover over the defense symbol in the upper right of the city screen.

But I'm not really sure yet how high those levels get and if that's everything that's taking place here because it can certainly be overwhelmed whenever you upgrade your bombarding units to stronger forms. So the idea that the modifier is reaching levels over 100% and thus making the city immune to bombard doesn't seem to be the case.

I keep looking though and eventually I'll be able to explain the answer to your question with a solid answer that will be a little more than best guesses from what portions of the code I've really taken the time to understand regarding bombarding.

In general, the simple answer to this is that you've reduced the city defenses by less than 1% each time you get a success but don't see the percentage actually go down until those fractions add up to one full percentage point. And in these cases, this means you need stronger bombarding units or a lot of units to sacrifice against the walls that you can't bring down.

3. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

You have an option in BUG to set the Maximum Bombard Defence. I keep it at either 90% or 75% in any given game, depending on how fast the game speed is that I'm using. 90% on Eternity and 75% on all others.

Cheers

4. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

Thanks. I'll try that!