Bomber's Looping Animation

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Jdoug312, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Prince

Can anything be done to prevent these semi-frequest instances where bomber's attack animation bugs out and they fly around their target for 30+ seconds?

Does the game's code have an option to forcibly break a sequence if it doesn't end in a certain amount of time?

Or is it possible to chop odd frames of the animation when it takes longer than the expected amount of time to complete? In other words, say that the bomber's attack animation is 10 seconds long when it works normally. Is there a way to set a maximum amount of time allotted to that animation before a resolution event takes place to end that bomber's movement, calculate the damage and move to the next unit?

saamohod, cheezitsrice and vyyt like this.
  2. vyyt

vyyt Deity

This would be great.

But it's happening only when you attack subs, right?

3. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Prince

Nope, any land target and city attack also seems to have a chance of it happening. I need to do/see more attacks on naval ships to see if it also happens with them, but I'd imagine it does.

4. looorg

looorg Prince

Don't think I noticed that one. Is it sort of like when you use paratroopers (etc) and use their ability to drop in. It takes a bit, then you usually see the airplane fly over and then a bit later it sort of just shows up in the spot?
    Or is it more like you plant a fishing boat and then it takes a little while for it realize you used the ability and during that time it has already switched to the next unit and you started doing things and it sort of stalls out as it updates the map that now there is a fishing boat here, taking I guess 15-30seconds (total estimate and shot in the dark regarding time). As said I just got used to it and doesn't really pay it much attention anymore, it's just one of the game quirks. Not sure it can be gotten rid off.

It's more annoying in the end game I guess when the memory is starting to fill out that it sometimes forget to remove the giant red targeting arrow for more or less any ranged attack and it just sticks around there until the next turn or so.

5. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Prince

Nope with this the bomber zips around the area of the target it's supposed to attack over and over (and over) again before the game resolves the attack and goes to the next unit. I haven't timed it with a stopwatch, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that the one attack can last upwards of a full minute just by itself. And that's even with the 3x movement VP uses. Which makes me wonder whether it's a processing issue that'd take that long regardless of the plane's movement speed, or if the 3x movement turns this into a 1+min glitch instead of a 3+min one

vyyt likes this.
  6. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

It's kinda like Handaxe vs City.

Recursive and Emperorman1 like this.
  7. vyyt

vyyt Deity

I only experience this when I attack subs (100% times). Never ever when I attack anything else (sometimes they make 2 passes, but I think it's intentional for the variety of animation).

8. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

I turn off Barbarian combat for the sole purpose of avoiding this.

9. Jdoug312

Jdoug312 Prince

So I intended to record the bomber animation/glitch that I was talking about and posting the video of it here, but in the game I just finished, it didn't happen once. Odd lol. I can't pin it to a map or mod conflict because the game that made me make this thread was a small continents, large, epic, and the game I just finished was a Milae's Map large epic. And I'm using slightly more mods in the most recent game than in that one. I'm pretty perplexed but it's certainly nice that it didn't crop back up