1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bombers vs. artillery

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by rschissler, May 17, 2004.

1. rschissler

rschissler Chieftain

Does anyone know the difference between bombers and artillery, in terms of the damage they can inflict? While artillery has higher bombard, bombers have higher rate of fire and I'm not sure what that means.

2. Warwind

Warwind Chieftain

I belive rate of fire is the amount of damage that can be given

3. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Chieftain

Bombard strength is the chance of succesful bombing.
    Rate of fire is how many chances it gets to strike. RoF 3, means that it gets 3 attacks- so it can take off 0-3 hps.

4. rychan

rychan CS geek

The differences are substantial, but the biggest issue isn't really the damage the can inflict. It's comparable. Bombers do a little more. The big issues are

1) bombers can get shot down in several ways
    2) bombers will kill population and improvements in a city without first hitting the military
    3) bombers have fatal bombard
    4) bombers have much higher range

Those are all significant, but the first two are the most significant I think. If you have air domination, then it's fine to go crazy with bombers. If your enemy has lots of interceptors, though, forget it. Artillery will work more reliably. The difference between redlining a unit and killing it is not that great, in my opinion.

#2 can be a plus or a minus, depending on your situation. Sometimes you want to take a city largely intact (especially if it used to be your own), some times you don't have ground forces nearby but you'd like to take out some significant improvements.

5. DogmaDog

DogmaDog Chieftain

I don't think #2 distinguishes bombers and artillery. I've used artillery and killed population or destroyed improvements without first hurting or red-lining units in the city.

6. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

In C3C, arty will target the military improvements (Civil Defense) first, then the units.

7. dmanakho

dmanakho Chieftain

Use artillery when you want to take city intact and have large offensive ground force.
    Use bombers if you want to capture city with just few infantry units....
    Personally, I found an interesting detail...
    First, I use artillery to level defending units down to 1 or 2HP, then I use bombers to simply kill those units with bombard attacks. (Single Bomber will never kill 3 or 4 HP unit). This way you can just enter city that have no protection left with a single infantry (of course you need more than one inside to make sure it doesn't flip back in next few turns),
    You will also get city with almost all improvements left this way because you will need less number of bomber raids and often bomber raise improvements like libraries and temples which will be raised no matter what when you capture city...
    and of course bombers are superb at cutting supply lines... while i attack border cities bombers can bomb deep into the enemy defences cutting the roads, food, luxuries and resources... I usually build large number of bombers 30 to 50. AI usually has very limited number of air-defence so with such a big number you don't care about his fighthers. I even see AI fighters been shut down by my bombers (sure I would lose several bombers but it cost me less to build new one than the amount of desctruction the bring to the inner cities of my opponent).
    If you stage war accross the continents sometimes You can reach another continent with your bombers. You can use them as a prestage for your D-day.
    Bombers rule, by the time i have enough bombers i usually use artillery just for defensive counter attacks.. Artillery is to slow to catch those tanks and MI on enemy lands with its 1tile movement...

8. Binnor

Binnor High Prince

I tend to use artillery or radar artillery more than bombers. Mainly because I can upgrade my catapults and cannons, rather than build the bombers from the ground up. Also artillery has no chance of being shot down (which seems to happen frequently to my bombers)

9. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

I use them in combination.. EXCEPT when I play Germany. When I'm blitzing with those Panzers sometimes even bombers can't keep up with my tanks :)

10. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

Am I right in saying Artillery seem to hit military units more than bombers? The only let down is range, and moves. An artillery has to move once, then be protected, while you are itching to get the tanks ahead, which have two moves. Not very practical. Radar artillery are very cool for this though, although I don't normally play upto that point in the game, and win before that

11. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

That's why we invented combat settlers.

12. BassDude726

BassDude726 It's Just a Phase

I usually don't pay attention to bombers until i'm up against the last civ on the map. At that point, i don't particularly care what condition the cities are in when i get them and just bomb the daylights out of them

13. LordKestrel

LordKestrel Chieftain

I tried out artillery and bombers for the first time in Conquests last night, and I love them. Artillery is far more useful, now that it doesn't destroy buildings. Bombers have lethal bombardment, which lets a large enough force wipe out anything, and the extended range means that you don't have to relocate them every other turn.

I like artillery better, because it doesn't destroy infrastructure. I like capturing a size 18 city that already has every improvement built. If the AI is kind enough to build all of it for me, why would I want to destroy it?

Bombers are most useful for taking out things like Infantry fortified in a size 24 city on a hill with a civil defense. And they absolutely pwn ships. Use a fleet of destroyers to find the AI's stack, use the destroyers to take 1hp off of each of the covering vessels (generally 3-4 defenders per transport), and then use your bombers to take out the transport. You can then pick off the covering ships at your leisure, after you've taken out the immediate threat in the full transport.

Ranged weapons are much nicer in C3C, and make the game more fun. It's a shame the AI doesn't make more use of them though :(

14. DragonRunner

DragonRunner Certified Band Geek

You could just use subs now that they have stealth attack and can pick their targets, Jimmy.

15. DS_Legionary

DS_Legionary Chieftain

I prefer bombers, because I don't normally care about the AI territory by the time I get them. They're great for cutting the AI off from resources, luxuries, and even crippling enemy production. Then the lethal bombardment makes them so much better then before. I generally have a large enough force that I don't even have to take the enemy city, I just send in an infantry or two, and move onto the next city. Since I usually have them based on Carriers, this makes it that much easier to move the bombers and bombard 7-10 cities per turn.
    As for the AI destroying the bombers with fighters, it doesn't really matter. I can usually produce a new bomber every two turns in my core, and every three in most other cities. Being under Communism and having a decent sized empire makes this easy to accomplish.