1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Bon Cop Bad Cop (directed by : Erik Canuel)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Goonie, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

The film opens this friday in english Canada. Anyone planning to go see it? How about those of you in Quebec? Anyone there seen it all ready? Good? Bad? Worth it?

I love Colm Feore and Rick Mercer has got a role, so hell I'm game once I get back to Ontario in a few weeks!

2. Savage Discipil

Savage Discipil A-Rod for MVP

Whats a Bon cop?

3. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

Good cop, bad cop....

4. pboily

pboily fingerlickinmathematickin

I saw it and I was a bit disappointed. It would have been much better if they switched the sterotypes on us and had used a Franco-Ontarian cop and and Anglo-Quebecois cop, in my mind. Some of the jokes are just too easy. Mind you, I had huge expectations for that movie.

Some of the French jokes don't translate so well in the English subtitles.

There's a scene where Bouchard teaches Ward how to conjugate the swear words that is amazing.

And Louis-Josee Houde (who plays the morgue guy) and the actor who plays the Chef de la Surete du Quebec were hilarious.

5. Raisin Bran

Raisin Bran Cereal Killer

Nice to know. I plan to go see it next week.

I don't have high expectations, this way ill be happy if the movie is half decent

6. Goonie

I really enjoyed the movie!

It met many of the expectations that I had for it and even surpassed some.

I loved Buttman! As soon as his character appeared, I knew exactly who he was suppose to be!

7. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Everytime the commercials came on TV I would giggle at the title. Not sure if I'll see it though.

8. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Somehow, knowing what I know about Canadian film and entertainment in general I feel like I've seen it already.

I'm guessing it'll be the usual take an American film and stick a maple leaf on it approach using recycled standard Canadian stereotypes and references (how many times is Tim Horton's mentioned?). I'd be willing to bet the English Canadian cop has a New York accent too, Canadian films live in perpetual fear of using any hint of an Anglo-Canadian dialect, except for perhaps the occasional "eh" in order to qualify for the government grant.

I know, very cynical but that's how I see it.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Like the McDonald's arches with the maple leaf or the Wendy's apostrophe being a leaf? Those things still crack me up.

10. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

:lol: Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Sad but that's a symbol of how Canadians generally view their country.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Actually, I was quite pleased to see that this wasn't the case. They do some stereotypical Ontario-Quebec jokes, but they most certainly did not hide that it was Canadian. It was a rare treat to see Toronto and Montreal shown in all their glory in a feature film. The English cop had Parisian French and a clearly Canadian (though distinguished) accent.

It was pretty well done as a movie, too-- I laughed through a lot of it, though the plot was a bit weak. Colm Feore acting stoned was a highlight, as was a slow chase scene involving a manically grinning beaver mascot. And I agree with pboily and Goonie about Buttman and the vulgarity lesson being hilarious.

12. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Well, I usually respect the opinions of most of those here, and most of you seem to have liked it at least somewhat, so it's probably best I put the cynicism aside and give it a chance.

Colm Feore is a good actor anyway.

edit: just went over to IMDb, it's getting great ratings, mostly 8+

13. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

It's definitely better than standard cinema fare; even if you don't think it's brilliant or even very good, I'm certain you'll find it entertaining.

14. Goonie

Speaking of a fear of using Anglo-Canadian dialect... do any of you have subscriptions to the Economist?

If so, check out the "Think Responsibly" promotion they are aiming at "college students."