• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Booze How Old Were You.

Zardnaar

Deity
I was watching a video on youtube and a Russian child was drinking kvass age 10.

Kvass is a low alcohol drink 1 or 2% but it can be stronger or weaker afaik. It may have been non alcoholic idk.

I thought 10 was a bit young and remembered the first time I got drunk was aged 9 sneaking booze at my sister's 21st. And I was aged 12 when I got drunk at my brother's 21st and threw up in the middle of the night. Got in trouble both times.

That wasn't normal though but I was allowed to sip beer and wine at a young age not sure how young maybe 7 or 8. Getting drunk wasn't an option.

Things started to change around age 14. My uncle brought over a bottle of bourbon from Australia and I was allowed to have that with him. Same age I was allowed to drink with my older step brother. He would get a 24 pack I could drink 5 or 6 and he drunk the rest.

Looking back I suppose mum was easing me into it via older family members Culturally booze was all around us, extended family had a vineyard and when up there you could grab bottles out of a bathtub full of ice.

By the time I was 16 my mother would buy it for me in occasion although I had to pay for it myself. My friends 17th birthday party I went along with a litre of rum and a hip flask if whiskey. I've been blackout drunk twice in my life that's the first time.

To this day I avoid rum.

With rural pubs, borrowed ID's etc I could purchase it aged 16,legal age was 20.

When they lowered the drinking age to 18 it made it harder aged 20 as they got a lot stricter with ID.

Anyway I know other cultures they have different attitudes to booze, but what age do you personally think booze is acceptable?

Assuming it is acceptable if you're a non drinker for whatever reason that's great but it's not the main point of the thread.

A half New Zealand or Russian/German would be very scary. You will either have a candidate for world dictator or the world's greatest drunk.

27, turning 28 in less than a week. Never had a drink in my life.

First drink, first drunk, or first puke?

Sipping beer I can't even guess. Same seven or eight range as you, probably, but maybe even a bit younger.

First drunk and first puke were both at about eighth grade...so...twelve?

About 15 minutes after eating a steak when I was 14, my head started buzzing really bad.

My dad pointed at me and said "LOL, you're drunk."

He soaked the thing in some of the hard stuff.

My parents were teetotalers (at least that's what I was led to believe but my dad like abeer or two in secret after a shift at work) so no booze at home, ever. At 16 I had a friend who's mom would buy as long as we followed a few strict rules and had the cash. I enjoyed a lot of Friday nights over there in high school. I didn't get hard into booze unti college. That's when drinking started Thursday and ended Tuesday (needed a day to recoup). It reduced significantly as an adult for a few years. I got a job that included significant travel in 03 and it ramped up, nothing to do other than drink in motels. Gave up distilled liquor in '10 when I started homebrewing, lost the taste for it, but my frequency increased.

Now I drink a couple pints a day with about 6 of 7 binges a year. I guess I'm an alcoholic by definition but I rarely get "drunk." Every couple months give or take.

I'm regularly drinking more than ever.

About a dozen a fortnight.

No bingeing though or very very rare 1/year if that.

When I was younger I drunk to get drunk. Now I drink as I like the taste or having it with a meal.

I was... 15? Beer. It was gross. I threw up because I drank too much. The yeasty taste/aftertaste did not sit well in my stomach. To this day I've never had a beer that I liked.

Then I tried vodka. Fine. Then whiskey. Good. Then chardonnay. Gross. Then brandy. Good. Then white wine. Good. Then gin. Passable.

I mixed the vodka with energy drinks. I got most of my drinking in as a teen; last time I seriously drank was before turning 21. Since then it's made me sick after a couple sips; I tried drinking vodka again when I turned 23 and that didn't go well. Tried drinking white wine and whiskey earlier this year and it went even worse. So I guess alcohol is completely off the table now.

I am okay with that. I'm a pointless drunk -- I don't change at all. I just drink until eventually I need to go to the washroom. Then I go to sleep. But beyond not really getting anything from the experience, I am not good at stopping. When I drank I'd just keep drinking until I ran out, and I could see that very easily turn into a dependency.

:lol::lol: that reminds me of my mom.... i was a skinny kid between the ages of 6 and 9 or so, and when i wouldn't eat well or she thought i was somewhat malnutritioned or something, she would give me a little shot of "vino sanson" (a disgusting spanish dessert wine) with an egg yolk....

First time i got wasted was at 11, at my sister's (then) boyfriend's "going to Vietnam" party.

My kids are horrified by my stories of how my friends and i would drink and drive. On one occasion, i guess i was about 17, returning from a, ahem, bar, the 3 of us that had driver's licenses were so trashed we let a friend that just had his restricted license drive back home. (edit. he was drunk too, but not as bad as the rest of us)

I turned 18 when the age was dropped to 18 and 21 when it was raised to 21. Haven't really ever liked alcohol buzz though.

I gave my boys beer when they were about 11 and 13, after a long day of landscaping. They hated it :lol:.

Last edited:
That's why I drunk spirits when I was younger. Did not like beer.

Only one I really enjoy now is Canadian Club mixed with a splash of lime and ginger ale.

I play with high school and even university student during junior high school, at that time it was cool to have lots of "friends" I tried many things that time including booze. I think it was around 12. They mix vodka with greensand or with energy drink. Think about it again it was quite mess up glad I made it till now.

Didn't drink until I joined the Army. Even then, I just did it to fit in with the unit (a big thing in determining the future of your military career).

Beyond that, I don't really drink unless it's a special occasion or the social situation demands it. I'm not one to be "that guy" in a social situation.

Tried vodka when I was 15, with schoolmates.
I was watching a video on youtube and a Russian child was drinking kvass age 10.
Kvass is a low alcohol drink 1 or 2% but it can be stronger or weaker afaik. It may have been non alcoholic idk.
Kvass is typically 0.5-1% I believe and the one which is sold in grocery is often 0%. Kids drink it all the time.

When I was a kid my dad used to make elderflower "champagne", initially in 2 pint bottles and it was basically alcohol free. One time he decided to make it in a 5 gallon drum for efficiency. He always claims it is a function of the larger vessel, I am convinced he got his sums wrong with the amount of sugar to add. Anyway, while we were on a ~5 hour car journey at the start of a family holiday, me about 7, my sister about 11, and we were given this assuming it was alcohol free. We were both vomiting drunk at the side of the road. My mother is a little bit "the demon drink" and I am not sure she has forgiven him yet.

I not so much like kvass as a drink, but there is a really good cold soup made with it, called Okroshka.
(Some people make okroshka with kefir instead of kvass though. Never trust them, they are heretics.)

I might not like it but want to try it. We put a yeast byp from brewing on toast. It's disgusting IMHO. It's gotta be better than that.

Last edited:
I was twenty one. I was travelling with my father and my great aunt to my grandfather's funeral, and my great aunt bought me my first drink at Buffalo airport.

My first time getting drunk was when I used to teach Sunday School in Georgia, I had a class of fourth graders. Well I got lots of Christmas presents, and one child's parents gave me a bottle of port that was 1.5L. I'd never had port before, and I was playing a game on my computer with some friends, and I started drinking it and it didn't even taste like alcohol. I woke up next morning in my bed fully clothed, and I couldn't find my glasses, and my bathroom was all purple ... I'd drank more than half my bottle. My friends told me I had spent some time in game talking over voice chat to the boys very graphically describing the things I wanted to do with them.

I was twenty one. I was travelling with my father and my great aunt to my grandfather's funeral, and my great aunt bought me my first drink at Buffalo airport.

My first time getting drunk was when I used to teach Sunday School in Georgia, I had a class of fourth graders. Well I got lots of Christmas presents, and one child's parents gave me a bottle of port that was 1.5L. I'd never had port before, and I was playing a game on my computer with some friends, and I started drinking it and it didn't even taste like alcohol. I woke up next morning in my bed fully clothed, and I couldn't find my glasses, and my bathroom was all purple ... I'd drank more than half my bottle. My friends told me I had spent some time in game talking over voice chat to the boys very graphically describing the things I wanted to do with them.

Lol. 21 here the tradition is a yard glass or 21 shots. Or both. Drink to you puke then drink again to pass out.

Never gone to that extent I think I've got around 27 standard drinks or so is my best effort. My sister kept count she reckoned around 30 as some off the beers were stronger. Only done that two maybe three times in my life involving beer or a litre of vodka or whiskey+rum.

Now it's more like a half dozen craft beers which are 8 standard drink if it's 5%. A full dozen if I want to get sauced without disgracing myself.

Screwed up last year got drunk on Friday night, still drunk Saturday and piss crook on Monday. Waking up drunk the next day isn't fun.

Last edited:
I had a few mouthfulls in my early teens but started in my own right when I was 17 (legal age was 18) drank too much through college and my 20s.

These days (late 30s) I barely drink other than the occasional glass of red wine at the weekend. I was off it entirely for months last year and didn't miss it.

Many years ago a former HR manager of mine didn't drink ever and had a cold. Her doctor told her to drink some tonic wine and rest so she drank a bottle of buckfast (fortified wine) without realising what it was.

Had a couple of sherry glasses of wine as a teenager, very small amounts. Was offered Guinness once around the same time I was 13 / 14, I think?), hated it. Parents found that hilarious :D

Started drinking at the legal age here in the UK, 18. Couple of before-uni parties with school friends before we all went out separate ways, where I found out I could Drink. Came in handy at uni where there's a lot of social pressure to drink, especially if you're on a sports team, which I was. I didn't mind the pressure, was just good to have a body that could handle it. Came to be a bit older before I realised that people put in that situation might not be so much of a fan, hah.

Top Bottom