Border Expansion beyond 3 tiles

bernlin2000

Prince
I was just watching the video review for CiV from The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8126-Review-Civilization-V) and if you check the 1 minute mark you'll see a city that whose borders appears to expand 4-5 tiles beyond itself. I had heard previously from one of the devs that it was possible to expand your cultural (but not your workable tile) borders beyond 3 tiles, but does anyone know how this works? So far I've only seen tiles expanding to areas you can work, is there some secondary system that does non-workable-tile expansion?

I don't remember any info on this. But you surely could do this with culture bomb.

One would assume the borders continue to expand beyond workable tiles to expand what is your territory versus your neighbours or unclaimed.

Watching the video I noticed those idiot workers built the Pyramids in the ocean. Not the most pleasing place for the game to drop the wonder model.

I would think that it is possible, there is quite a few abilities that only work on friendly territory so it would make sens to be able to have some extra territory

And in addition to that, they only said the tile gain through culture is now more progressive, rather than in booming steps, nothing about your zone of influence will be smaller than before. At least that is was was said.

I had heard previously from one of the devs that it was possible to expand your cultural (but not your workable tile) borders beyond 3 tiles, but does anyone know how this works?
It works just like normal: as your cities produce culture, they keep claiming more and more tiles. Just like in Civ4.
Or you can purchase them with gold.
There is no difference in how a city expands into the fourth radius relative to the third vs the third radius relative to the second.

It works just like normal: as your cities produce culture, they keep claiming more and more tiles. Just like in Civ4.
Or you can purchase them with gold.
There is no difference in how a city expands into the fourth radius relative to the third vs the third radius relative to the second.

But it would seem against your interests to expand beyond 3 tiles, until you've acquired everything that workable first. In CivIV this wasn't something you had to consider: you got your workable tiles on the first culture pop, and everything else after that just expanded your influence. I guess we'll just have to see how quickly borders expand, but it looks like it would take a very long time to get those 36 workable tiles (assuming all of them were useful).

But it would seem against your interests to expand beyond 3 tiles, until you've acquired everything that workable first. In CivIV this wasn't something you had to consider: you got your workable tiles on the first culture pop, and everything else after that just expanded your influence. I guess we'll just have to see how quickly borders expand, but it looks like it would take a very long time to get those 36 workable tiles (assuming all of them were useful).

I haven't seen it stated, but I assume the city won't buy tiles 3 hexes away until all the tiles 2 hexes away are bought, and so forth.

Not true, it might well go for a riverside wheat tile 3 hexes away before a barren mountain 2 hexes. It prioritises based on how useful the tiles are and a few other things I think.

It was stated by greg in the livestream that it will always auto choose to expand to workable resources. So it will head towards that cattle then over towards grain etc. One would assume that it would then expand towards workable tiles before non workable tiles but eventually the radius is filled and it starts going off elsewhere.

Does it take longer to expand culturally to a tile 3 rings out vs. one right next to the city?

Disregarding the fact that there are 2 tiles in the way.

For example, say the first two expansions of a city are in a line outwards. Will it take longer to get the next tile in the line vs. one next to the city off of the line, or the same time?

Third ring 'tiles' cost more gold than second ring tiles to buy (all over things being the same); so it's probably a fair assumption that they cost more culture too.

I think I would probably go for the land tiles a ways away before I went for the ocean within the ring. I'm thinking those ocean tiles would be last ones I would obtain unless I wanted to block a nearby city-state.

Third ring 'tiles' cost more gold than second ring tiles to buy (all over things being the same); so it's probably a fair assumption that they cost more culture too.

I don't think they "cost more culture", I think they are less likely to be chosen as a tile when you gain an extra tile.

The culture boundaries for a city to get an extra tile probably depend on the number of tiles that city already has (or are a flat culture number). I don't see how the threshold culture cost for getting another tile could possibly depend on which tile you get once you reach the threshold.

IIRC, culture cost for tiles was impacted by other factors. I think the example given was that it was more expensive to spread culture across a river. I could be mistaken or misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I saw that in an official video.

Yes culture will continue to expand borders past the useable 3hex range, but not until the 3hex range is first completely filled.

I don't think they "cost more culture", I think they are less likely to be chosen as a tile when you gain an extra tile.

The culture boundaries for a city to get an extra tile probably depend on the number of tiles that city already has (or are a flat culture number). I don't see how the threshold culture cost for getting another tile could possibly depend on which tile you get once you reach the threshold.

Huh? Its very easy, each tile has a cost depending on how close it is to you and how "good" it is. The game picks a tile for your city to expand into; choosing the cheapest first. The threshold needed depends on the cost of the tile. Simple. There is no reason for the threshold to be constant.
Remember that you know which tile your culture is "working" towards before the threshold is reached - thats what that purple circle is.

IIRC, culture cost for tiles was impacted by other factors. I think the example given was that it was more expensive to spread culture across a river. I could be mistaken or misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I saw that in an official video.

Surely it must be cheaper alongside rivers...

Top Bottom