1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Border Growth texticon

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Novntis, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

Very nitpicky comment.

Was just looking at the Celts new pantheons and was a bit confused by Epona on first read-through, as I thought the blue symbols were all science. Is there a reason why we're using a blue culture icon as the text/font icon border growth symbol in Epona, the Great Mare? This symbol doesn't appear anywhere in the base game normally so it's a bit visually jarring and maybe a little misleading by reusing colors. Here's a pic for reference:

Isn't the purple hex the defacto border growth icon? Could we change it to reflect that design so the icon is visually distinct?

Here's a more or less appropriately sized replacement I made:

From this full sized source image:

I'd replace the image file of the current icon to make a mockup of what the replacement looks like in game but I admittedly can't find the source image in the game/mod files.

Edit: Just to be clear because I've used various terms to refer to this icon, the icon in question is ICON_CULTURE_LOCAL. I guess from Community Patch there exists a yieldatlas using the same symbol for border growth points to appear on tiles as well, but it doesn't seem like this is what implements the fonticon. Found the source image. Its in the community patch's compressed art folder as CultureLocal.dds.

Edit2: @Gazebo I edited CultureLocal.dds and submitted a pull request. Here's what it looks like now in game:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Does it change ALL sources of border growth yield icons? Many modmods currently use it too.

JamesNinelives and Novntis like this.
  3. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

I'm pretty sure each tile resource only has a higher resolution yieldatlas and a 22px fonticon (covered above). Anyone with knowledge to the contrary feel free to chime in. I focused on the fonticon first because that's the only icon being used in base VP to my knowledge. I actually already added a new matching yieldatlas to the branch on Github as well to accommodate the proposed Spain changes. I believe the proposed UI produces +2 local_culture. I'll post an in-game image demoing tile resource generation with the old/proposed icons using that modmod when I get a chance.

Here's the new yieldatlas for tiles:

Somewhat related, if we're going to use this resource more widely now in base VP we need to fix some broken UI logic. There is no UI handling for it being generated from pantheons (its not generated on city tiles) and contributing to border growth in the city view tooltip, so you don't get any feedback and incorrect border growth estimates.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  4. Skidizzle

Skidizzle Gameshow Host

I don't find this nitpicky, this is the kind of polishing that makes this mod stand out. I love it

tu_79 and Novntis like this.
  5. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

I'm glad you like the concept! :thanx:

To rephrase "nitpicky", I don't want to come off as complaining about someone else's free labor contribution. Someone did take the time to make the current icons, and they're perfectly usable. At the end of the day, if my set are adopted the others will disappear, so I want to be respectful of that.

Speaking of polishing I just realized there are some weird transparency artifacts around the edges of the yieldatlas icons and the edges could probably be a bit more feathered/smoothed. None of that should really be noticeable in game but I'll try to clean them up for the sake of being thorough.

Edit: just realized my icons are more smoothed than the vanilla ones. I need to harden the edge not soften it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  6. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

7. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

Very true. Forgot about that. I just played Greece not too long ago so I'm surprised I didn't remember that. I guess I've been playing more games with Celts than Greece as of late.

Here are the before/after in game picks using @pineappledan's Spain testing modmod. If you look hard enough you can see there's not quite as much of a gap between the gold icons and the local_culture. I'll make a quick edit to space these out more. I'm also not sure there's enough contrast between the background circle of the tile and the black transparent area. Feels a bit muddy atm. I'm going to make another version with more contrast in the circle areas (lighter color) and one that resembles food with no background other than the black transparency, then we can see which people prefer. I might also try to make a large icon that it is distinct from the small icons keeping with trend (even though its not implemented in anything rn).

Before (Normal View):
    Spoiler :

Before (Strategic View):
    Spoiler :

After (Normal View):
    Spoiler :

After (Strategic View):
    Spoiler :

Also @pineappledan as an aside, the Hacienda is currently missing a UI element for improvement in strategic view in the modmod, so its displaying as a red dot/transparent square. Just pointing out as something unrelated to edit I've made.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    JamesNinelives and Zuizgond like this.
  8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Noted. I’ll try to fix that.

Also, the hacienda should clear forest. It being buildable without clearing features is not intended. Something very strange is happening in your example, the wrong yields are appearing from the adjacencies.

EDIT: found the error, the modinfo file had a spelling error, so the SV icon wasn't loaded into the game.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    JamesNinelives and Novntis like this.
  9. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

I'm sure its just an IGE-facilitated edge case. I illegally plopped them after all. As a note, I LOVE the hacienda. Its such a pretty UI and it feels fresh.

10. Zuizgond

Zuizgond King

Looks pretty nice!

11. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Hmm, the purple yields could be confused with culture at first glance. Is there another colour that can be used?

12. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

I generally agree I should try to make it a bit more distinct from culture. The proposed color change (vanilla colors for border growth) is close to culture, though that’s not really avoidable if we’re trying to maintain consistency with vanilla’s tile-related assets. It’s also an extension of culture (essentially a derived resource), so it does make sense it’s similarly colored. I still think this is better than what we have currently, as the shape of the icon is at least very clearly distinct, especially in-line as a font icon.

What I’ve shown thus far uses vanilla assets and their colors for the purple hex (literally the hex in the city view UI) to maintain consistency. I’m a bit hesitant to change the base color of the hex icon as it looks fine in font icon form and I think we can tweak the yield icon to make it more distinct. If we want to make adjustments to the background of the tile (i.e. non purple color) to add contrast to yield icons, I suspect that will solve most of the problems. I don't think we should change the yield color to something under-used (like red) though unless we're also planning on changing the border growth UI element colors across the board (e.g. notifications, tile highlights, growth meter, and so on). That's a little beyond what I know how to modify.

For reference this is what it looks likes on the same tile as culture using some edited haciendas:
    Spoiler Close Up :

Spoiler Far Away :

13. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

So darker culture when far away. It works, I suppose.

14. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Cool idea!

Purple makes sense for border growth. I kind of liked the previous border growth icon, but it's true that it's confusing. This one is much clearer in terms of what it represents.

I'm not sure if this what you said already, but perhaps you could keep the central icon but make the background colour more distinct.

Skidizzle, Novntis and pineappledan like this.
  15. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

I agree. I'll make a few iterations with different backgrounds, clean up the transparency issues mentioned above, and then maybe make a poll for which one we like the best.

I'm also looking into attempting some DLL edits to fix the broken EUI and City View UI logic for border growth that I can push to the branch on github. We need to minimally update the functions for turns to border growth to add border growth points (local culture) to culture and divide by cost. Ideally, I'll also see if we can add some "border growth from x" categories to the city view tooltip to cover yields from buildings, religion, and worked tiles as these currently are completely absent.

Edit: It seems like some of this might be doable in the lua code at least for the EUI UnitPanel dependent on the existing DLL functions for handling BGPs. BGPs seem to properly contribute to border growth so I assume there's already some usable code there that just need to be reference.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  16. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

It's great to have such initiatives. Well done.

Novntis likes this.
  17. InkAxis

InkAxis King

I've got to say, when I initially heard about this I had mixed feelings but seeing them like this in game and with the amount of work you put in I like them a lot more.

I do agree however that they need to be made a bit more contrasting. I know people have suggested a different background, but none of the other icons have a background so I'm not sure how that would work (though it could look good). Currently, the icon has a small white-ish border, what if that border was made thicker and a color that contrasted more?

Novntis likes this.