1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Borgia and Civ V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Hammer Rabbi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

No this isnt a direct topic to Civ V but I was reminded of elements of Civ V by this.

For those who have netflix (a streaming option) there is this TV series that evidently they produce. It isnt a show on another channel that they license the rights to but an actual Netflix original program. It's called Borgia and is a drama about the ascension of Borgia to the papal throne. It is set in 1492 Rome and deals with their papal/City State politics.

fair warning, it isnt for children (nudity and violense). it also isnt meant to be 100% historically accurate. but after watching the first episode i think the show has potential. some of the acting was just okay but it wasnt horrible. the guy that wrote it (Tom Fontana) also wrote Oz and Homicide: Life on the Streets. Seeing the Machiavellian politics portrayed was at least entertaining as an example of what might be going through the minds of CS's when I am in a game.

Of course none of this is anything other than romanticizing the game as I dont think CS ai goes any deeper than math calculations/responses. But I thought it worth mentioning for anyone else who might like historical fictional dramas.

And no, this isnt some kind of endorsement or spam ad for any of the topics mentioned. I just found this relate-able to these forums. I'm hoping "General Discussion" can also mean tv shows and what not so long as there is at least SOME connection to the game, not just elements of gameplay only.

2. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

You shouldn't have mentioned that, now all the kids will be looking for it. :)

First when I read your post, I thought about Bjorn Borg, attack him with whatever you have, it comes back 3-fold. Like a mini Chuck Norris he was, good old Bjorn.

3. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

I believe the show's called The Borgias.

4. Kilroy Was Here

Kilroy Was Here Chieftain

And it's a Showtime series, not Netflix. Netflix is exclusively a streaming service and produces nothing of their own.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator

Not sure to which Borgias you're referring to (there's a european film, split up into 6 parts, and an american series, which is longer; I only saw the former), but I got also a sort of "Civilization feeling" while watching it.
    It's about history, politics, war and intrigues. -> It's fantastic :D.

6. Aristos

Aristos Chieftain

I didn't watch the show yet, but from what you are saying, it's more like a "Crusader Kings II" feeling...;)

7. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

more like a "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood" feeling

8. Aristos

Aristos Chieftain

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't know, because I did not watch it yet, but I took J's words as a guide: war, politics, intrigue... --> CK II (check out the initial reactions at Paradox forums)

9. Hammer Rabbi

Wrong. read the news or bury your head in the sand. either way im right.

Moderator Action: This is getting a touch testy. Warned for minor trolling.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

10. Hammer Rabbi

there are 2 different shows. The Borgias is on Showtime. Borgia is a netflix produced series (12 episodes) and is done in English but isnt an American series. Rodrigo Borgia (John Doman) is the only semi-known American in it.

11. Hammer Rabbi

i get that there is confusion but the one i am referring to is completely addressed in my post. there is only one associated with netflix.

i dont have showtime and seeing that jeremy irons is in it seems interesting as i do like him. maybe ill get to see it when comes to dvd.

12. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Yes, I have watched The Borgias recently. It is a very good series from Showtime. Excellent job by Jeremy Irons who plays the Pope. The French cannons used chain shot as grape against the Papal army, quite intimidating! I cannot wait for season 2. But, for now I turn my eyes to Spartacus and The Walking Dead. I am also getting ready for season two of Game of Thrones. "Winter is coming!" All of these shows influence my love for strategy games. CiV is very much one of those because it covers all the time periods. You can watch movies dealing from ancient times to space travel and everything in between. All can relate in some way to CiV. :)

13. Hammer Rabbi

There are 2 series. Borgia is different from The Borgias. The one i am talking about is on Netflix and nowhere else in America. It is an Italian series bought by Netflix as their sole distributor. It does not have Jeremy Irons in it.

14. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Yes I see now. I have to try to watch this. In fact we were looking for a reason to try out netflix, perhaps Borgia could be that reason. Thanks for clearing that up and I am sorry for my assumption which was incorrect.