1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Boring in later eras?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Poocho, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Poocho

Poocho Chieftain

Maybe it's just my style of play, but I usually get kind of bored with the game during the last era or so. It just seems that by that time I'm just, I don't know, trying to finish everything. By then I've already got a comfortable number of cities (maybe 15-20) that I'm just trying to cram with every last building I can fit in them, and then when I run out of things to build I start pumping out countless units to fill the map. And then I can just sit around for a while and go for a Diplomatic victory (that's usually too easy), or decide who to take on.

I guess I just like how in the earlier parts of the game every decision makes a big difference. Like where to settle your cities, or whether to build a worker or a building or a military unit. Every move is critical. Each technology makes a big difference and is something you've been wanting for a long time. Each military unit is carefully placed and upgraded, and you anxiously watch each battle knowing what a big difference a win or a loss will make.

Then, eventually, I'm just playing to play, hoping it'll be fun again. Usually the latter part of the game I'm mostly looking forward to the next game, but I don't like starting things and not finishing them.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Do you have any suggestions for optimizing how much fun I get out of the game?

Just my thoughts,
    Poocho :)

2. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer King

Sounds like you need to move up a difficulty level.

3. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I feel excactly the same way.
    After muskets the game is boring.

4. nullspace

nullspace King

If you're at the point where you can no longer lose, you might as well go for the quickest victory you can, or just call it a win and start a new game. Just save the game and put "WIN" in the title if you want it to look official. :king:

I think there are good decisions left to make in the later eras, but the don't involve individual units or techs. Choices like civics, diplomacy, land vs. naval power, nukes, strategic resources, and victory conditions are now important. But if the game isn't close anymore, then no decision really matters.

5. Diamondeye

It's not like I can't lose, it's like it doesn't matter. It's simply too boring - are there any mods around that sticks to the ancient - classical - Medieval era all game? I'd like one please :p

6. SickCycle

SickCycle Prince

Play Marathon?

You most likely just find it cooler because of the time period, I mean we live in the modern era so it's not as fun to play, but ravaging the land with greek phalanxs now thats cool..

The Modern Era and such can get boring but that's because you've been playing for hours or weeks depending if you play your games in one sitting, but they are still pretty cool, just make the most of them.

Using America and doing amphibious assaults with navy seals and having carriers in V formations with battleships and destroyers can be entertaining, while your f-15s or what not ravage the countryside from the sea before the seals go in.

You can mess around more with diplomacy too, creating vassals and colonies, creating world wars.

I find I enjoy maps with water more in the late game, big_and_small is my new favorite, try turning on aggressive ai if you want a different flavor.

7. thegreats

thegreats Cat Lord

For me it rather more laggy in later eras, but I tottally agree with you. Play Marathon thats the solution.

8. Warspite2

Warspite2 Prince

Are you playing BtS? For me its just the opposite especially with BtS. I like the later parts of the game and feel the beginning can be boring. All of the advanced techs in the later game are just awesome. I like planes, tanks, riflemen, missiles, powerful artillery and modern ships more then weak spears, axes and bows. I really like the new advanced start option in BtS because I can get to the cooler stuff faster like stealth bombers.

9. meatwad4289

meatwad4289 Prince

problem is the game ends when u study future tech. Theres no more improvements, no more racing. All thats left is a spaceship or war.

Wars fun, but with colonial costs its not., Some of the BtS features lowered replay value.. I usually play for 3 or 4 weeks of Civ before i get bored.. get BtS and... 2 weeks. and I'm looking at civ3 and thinking.. maybe i should, then im thinking, no, Civ3 gives me 2 month addiction.

10. thegreats

thegreats Cat Lord

You can play Next War as mod that will make the match a little longer (more techs)

11. Diamondeye

Nay, I'm not playing BtS (neither Warlords, for that matter)... I'll wish for it when it's my birthday in 2 weeks or so :)

12. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

For me the Game is
    Boring at the Ancient Era - Starting the Foundation is boring

Annoying at Classical - If you dont Build Millitary, the Barbs and Agressive Civs pick you off, If you dont build that infrastructure, you indirectly ruin your teching and economy. A war is a sucide race.

Challegning at Medieval - The rotting and angry cities, the wave of barbarians raping your lands, actual wars with more than 3 cities to take with better defenses. I love this era

Fun at Rienasscens - The cities are healthy and Happy, the competition thickens between surviving states. Gunpowder! More Civics are unlocked, wars are more difficult from war-harden enemies or easy as you emerge as superpower.

Slowing Down at Industrial - Either everyone is still stuck with a Musket and you invade with Infantry which is easy or everyone is equal to you which is hard. Plus the Buildings look so ugly from its better looking Rienasccens Counterparts.

Boring at Modern - Eh Skyscrapers? I should have won 300 years ago.

13. Diamondeye

If you want any chance of a real good score, make that 3000 years - another reason lategame suxx.

14. Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds The Heretic Anthem

When that happens to me, I usually just declare ar on everyone (Yes, everyone) else. Then I'm not bored anymore.

15. Poocho

Poocho Chieftain

Wow. I'm surprised I didn't reply back on this sooner--though I've read each and every post not long after they were posted. :)

I guess I just decided to take nullspace's suggestion and start over . . . again. And it worked! . . . for a while . . . as usual.

So here in more detail is my usual game experience:

Ancient: Fun and intriguing. You get to know your surroundings and think ahead of how your empire will look in thousands of years. You make the important strategic decisions of where to place your first cities in relation to both immediate defense capabilities and future progression. Big decisions on whether it'll be worth it to race for certain techs, or whether it'll be better to get copper revealed as a bonus resource as soon as possible, etc. Much of this continues through the rest of the eras, but here it's critical. It can be a bit slow just moving one unit around and hoping you don't get ambushed by too many barbarians, but usually it's pretty interesting.

Classical: You start to pick us some speed and get yourself comfortable with your surroundings. By now you've made some preliminary decisions on who to war with and who to ally with (it never really goes that way, but...). Maybe some minor planned skirmishes if you're fairly well on your feet, and besides that you just make sure you have a decent defense.

Medievel: Here we go! You've pretty much expanded to all physical and cultural boundaries, and it's time to make some enemies. And then you meet your enemies' unnexpected allies and the war doesn't go quite as you planned, but you stand your ground and then build up your momentum. You juggle trade relations with a few, and try to balance your money between as much research as possible and yet having enough to upgrade essential units.

Renaissance (sp?): Still fun. You ride your momentum and keep slowly crawling your way those last couple of spots to the top. It's still a challenge because you never know when that civ that's been annoyed at you for so long will suddenly declare war on you, so you need to keep your rear covered while continuing to pump units into the front lines and balancing your city production.

Industrial: Well, this kind of is just a place holder to make the Renaissance longer. You're pretty happy with how things are going and wondering just what to next once you're done with your current pursuit.

Modern: That stupid digital watch pops up and you realize just how few major goals you have left remaining. You've got so many cities you're not sure which is which. You keep putting in new buildings that make noticeable differences in your cities, but only give rise to more unit and building options. Lots of moving units. Most of your workers are automated except for a few that are trying to make something out of the former enemies' cities. You could finish off that enemy that ambushed and ticked you off not so terribly long ago, but you don't hate her now as much as you did when she was still a real threat. You could take on a big threat or two and then lose some cities, gain some cities, lose some battles, win some battles, move a lot of units back and forth, and eventually take the upper hand and realize you're all but won the game or realize you've bitten off more than you can chew and will be stuck in third place after settling for peace. Then spend the rest of the game getting more techs and building everything possible in your cities until you run out of things to build.

I like conquering a city when I've planned on taking that city for a long time, but not so much when it's just El-Amarna of the Egyptians and it's just the next city after the last one. I like the idea of gaining early friends and using each other to gain supremacy, but you're always mostly powerless to determine how they really feel about you. And they all seem to be pretty much without ambition. They may take a few cities from someone and then stop. They'll declare war and peace often and yet rarely get very far. They always have unreasonable senses of loyalty.

It would certainly help if the Artificial Intelligence were a bit more intelligent. Here I am with my dozens of superior troops surrounding Tokugawa's last city, and all he ofters me is 50 gold to declare peace? I know from the list that popped up not too long ago that he's the third wealthiest civ, so he must have more. Why doesn't he just give me anything I want so he can survive? Then he can either plot revenge using the combined might of all his friends or humbly submit to my superiority and continue as a civilization. In fact, I tend to have a soft spot for weak civs--even ones I've made weak--and I end up giving them a new tech every few turns just to help them out, hoping they'll see me as their best friend soon.

I guess I don't know what it is that causes me to lose interest. I don't like being in what seems like a definite losing situation, but I get bored once I have control of things.

Before I forget, I've been playing on Marathon (is that the slowest?) for a while now, and it's definitely better. I've also worked my way up from Chieftain to my current status as Noble, and I'd like to keep it there. It seems stupid and unfair to let the AI have advantages just to make it harder (and besides, I like the difficulty until about the end when it becomes gravy). I mean, if they want to beat me, I'm right here! I've had my capital guarded by two archers for thousands of years now. Why don't they just show some initiative and go for a city besides whatever's closest to their border? And if their so intent on capturing my city for their own use, why on earth are they destroying all those improvements that they'll just have to rebuild anyway--especially when their trying to take back one of their own and then pillage the improvements that they themselves spent so much energy building in the first place?!

Argh!!! This wasn't supposed to turn into a rant, but I don't like the idea of trying to start over again and hitting the same bunch of mud to slosh through at the end . . . again.

Okay, I'm gonna start repeating myself soon. I'll stop now. I promise. :)

Just my thoughts,
    Poocho :)

16. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Your problem is nice and simple...play Beyond the Sword, Agressive Ai.

Then call us. IF your survive.

17. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

I've cranked up the Marathon reasearch rate to 300% of Normal now. Its normally 140%. That should keep things interesting for longer. In my last game I was just lobbing Nukes at my neighbours until I won a cultural victory. :mischief:

18. Figaro

Figaro Tywysog

I find what tends to bore me about the later eras is the masses of cities one tends to have. Try a game where you only build 5-6 cities, put on aggressive AI and get ready to defend yourself!

19. Diamondeye

This is exactly what I am talking about! More time with each era! I'd love to have this implemented - how to do if you havent got any program to rewrite XML and havent got harddisk space for one?

20. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

You can use Notepad. Then go to GameInfo > CIV4WorldInfos in the XML files (in the Assets folder of the Program Files) and change the research multiplier for whatever speed you're going to play at.

Also, my XML editor is only 1.44MB in size and doesn't even need installing. Its a little program I keep on my desktop. Its this if you want to give it a try. There are others out there though. :)