1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BOTM 105 Final Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Apr 14, 2016.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 105 - Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go? Did you win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 105 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. nocho

nocho Deity

I got to conquest in 1545AD. Given the circumstances I'm not sure whether that'll be very competitive or not, but given the as yet meagre progress at 1AD it felt quite good.

Best decision of the game surely proved to be the Trojan city for Hatty. It took really quite a while before my own teching started to pace up, so stealing was a blessing. It got me a swath of useful techs (CS, monarchy, feudalism, construction etc) in the early ADs and later when I had adopted Hatty's confu creed and started to power up she offered herself as a friendly peace vassal, so I could even direct her research then. So she did nationalism, music and military tradition (!) for me on my directions, while I ploughed through paper and education with a bulb and finally libbed astronomy quite late as compared to a normal game, but I guess ok-ish here (1270AD).

On the other continent Hammurabi was quite the big bully with a small Arabian vassal and a small Persian neighbour cramped into a corner. Decided to take out Persia first with cuirs to have a foothold and meanwhile tech to rifling for cavs, quickly after declared on Babylon and Arabia. The latter was eliminated and Babylon finally capitulated after losing a number of cities and quite the enormous SoD of medieval junk he had used on Saladin.

Interesting game, thanks!

3. lordofcivs

lordofcivs Lord of The Civilizations

I finished the game a bit late with cultural victory. I'm not participating in GoTM, so I'm not sure about the level of standard here. Nevertheless, it was fun for me. :)

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Finished my game, with a Conquest win in 1625AD. Sounds like I went about matters pretty similarly to nocho, only a little later at every step. Libbed Astro 1350AD, and stole a lot of techs from Hatty thanks to a Trojan Horse city gifted to her early on. She also settled a city of her own over there for some reason, so I had two good spy cities.

Didn't build any military for a very, very long time, but when I finally pumped out some maces in a HE city she finally offered to peace vassal. I intended to take out Persia first. Saladin and Darius had been at each other's tits for a long time, so I guess the 3 GGs must have come between them, but only a turn or two before I was going to declare, Darius gave away a city to Saladin for peace, and then promptly peace vassaled to Hammurabi. Surprising given they were in different religions. This meant I had to change plans and attack both. Went well enough. Took a few cities from both, Hammurabi capped while Darius still had a city left and was his vassal. Took Darius' last city to kill him off, before moving in on Saladin. Took two cities from him, and then he capped as well.

Never did get MilTrad from Hatty. Just when I was ready to steal it, she must have lost trade routes with me, and EP costs went up. But I had Kremlin, Cannons, Airships and eventually Rifles too, so the warfare was easy enough, only a little slower than with horses. Fewer losses too, mind. That said, a fully healthy Rifle managed the feat of losing to a half-dead horse archer at 99.7%. Crikey!

Fun and different game, I've never played without tech trading before (except in AW), but all the boating to and fro was a pain.

Noticed I wasn't terribly far off Domination, so built loads of culture in the last turn, but ended up with only 63% land, so was still far off. Hoped to get lucky with the dice throw and maybe get Domination instead, as I didn't expect 1600s conquest to be anywhere near competitive, as it turned out it wasn't either.

Thanks for the map :)

Two small things to add. It took forever until I noticed the island to our SE. Sure would be nice with those juicy trade routes much earlier. And I was scarily close to Libbing Priesthood! :eek2:

5. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Fun game... still trying to shake loose the rust. Windows 10 is not Civ friendly.... could not alt-tab to hide the game which meant that every time my wife/kids wanted to use the computer I had to save the game. If there is a solution to this I would love to know it.

Space in 1836ad, feels like a good date, despite it feeling slow early due to the 'no tech trading'.

Oracled CS, conquered Hatty with Cuirs after stealing a few techs. She very nicely spread my religion (Confused) to nearly all of her cities. Built GLH, and spotted the island late, but it still paid big dividends. Pyramids was also a gamble that paid off, I stayed in Representation nearly the whole game except for a 10 turn spell in Police State, Vassalage, Theocracy to spam Cuirs.

Not sure if Sushi beat State Property, but when I popped an Engineer not long after getting the GM for Economics I felt I was obliged to go Sushi/Mining inc.

Saladin was a monster, he colonized the island, then set Roosevelt free before totally bossing Hammy. Having said that, he was a mile behind and I spent a lot of time/spies stealing gold as nobody had any tech I didn't have.

Oh my god, Philosophical leader just pops great people all game long. Shrined my religion, built an early Academy, 4 golden ages (10 great people) and settled 16 in my capital. I missed Music, but got Economics, Communism & Fusion, so this means I popped 25!

6. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Strange. I've just tested it, and I can alt-tab out of the game fine in Windows 10. I'm therefore guessing something in your set-up. If you can't get it to work. You should also be able to swap windows by hitting Windows+M to minimize the game. Or if that doesn't work, a more drastic solution is to run the game in Windowed (not full-screen) mode - you can set that in the civ.ini file.

And welcome back neilmeister!

7. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Hmmmm, Windows+M gives me the same result as Alt-tab... the windowed game takes up 80% of the screen and insists on being 'on top'.
    Really don't want to play in windowed mode... the mouse doesn't work properly. Crapola! will have to figure this out!

8. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

I was in a rare and strange building mooooood where I decided to keep building and building and building.... I assume I could have gone to space by 1800 if I wanted to, but in the ended delayed until a very late ~1950...Had 6 GA, and spread Sushi to about 50 cities... With Future tech ~20, heath and happy are no real problem.

Obviously, no fastest finish or medal for me, but I am hoping that ~15K base score will be enough for the cow...

9. ShiVvV

ShiVvV Warlord

Congrats, Neil. 1836 does seem like a good space date, especially compared to mine where I completed Apollo in 1844 (T292) and ship arrived in 1902 (T322). It was a bit of a shock realizing I wouldn't have access to aluminum w/o going to war.

My game was completely peaceful, never went to war. I did manage to get a level 6 Privateer. Went with Sushi/Mining. Libbed Astro 1230AD. Was hoping for one last 5GP Golden Age but didn't get the GProphet or GSpy I needed to launch it so I ended up just bulbing with the four GP I was saving towards the end. Did have the MoM this game.

I'm curious--did any of you folks going Dom/Conquest route have any issues with conquered cities flipping?

Thanks for the game.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Nope. I'm not even sure what that option is meant to do. Cities can still flip without it.

11. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Goal was fastest Diplo. I don't have that award yet in botm (I only have two botm fastest finish awards). Best chance is if no one else goes for that VC.

What is percentage of UN votes required?
    Can I have N-1 and not be disqualified?

Completely peaceful with Hatty all game. We shared her Confucianism and were friendly.

Definitely rusty. Didn't build a trojan city for stealing tech. Hatty put a city by the sheep/copper between us (on my side). So, I stole techs from there (29% distance penalty iirc). Hardly chopped forests until near end of game.

Took Steel from Liberalism. After steel, then Astronomy (D'oh, can't bulb it because Chemistry unlocked SM.) Then decided to beeline Mass Media. My tech pace really slowed down between physics and electricity due to war and colony expenses of conquering Hammy and loss of Great Library and monastery benefits. Was probably also hurt a lot by switching from Representation/Caste to Police State (to build the cannons and galleons).

Relearned that colony is whole landmass, to release what had been Persia (4 cities in SE), I would also have had to release cities I was taking from Babylon. Also relearned that building Forbidden Palace didn't negate the colony expenses.

Two Golden Ages. First to switch into war mode and second to switch out. I built the Mausoleum, so they were 12 turns each. I realized that State Property was the solution to my colonial expenses 3 turns from end of GA. Learned it in 2 turns and switched to SP on last turn of GA.
    Caught up a lot on techs while building the UN. Combination of great spies funding stealing and better economy researching a a good rate.

Had engineer waiting the whole game, learned MM, started UN, and double clicked on him (instead of single) which added him to city (could have done that centuries ago) instead of building UN. :mad:
    Missed Taj by 2 turns.

Arabia released large SW island as vassal: ottomans. Succeeded in having Arabia as UN opponent with Hatty voting for me.

1770 Saladin declares war against me. :eek: He moved his big stack to my big stack of cannons and knights in (northern) border city. (I had nothing in the south). I upgraded some knights to Cavalry (having recently learned the needed techs).
    1775 UN Victory :goodjob:

edit: first 4 great scientists: settle, academy, settle, GA; GM did trade mission to Persia (ToA); Next GS partial bulp SM, and GE waiting to build UN (see above). I captured ToA just as I was obsoleting it by SM. Second GA was GS and GE. Then I got two Great Spies
    ps. I will look them up later and edit this great person paragraph Great Persons:
    Spoiler :
    9 GS: settle, academy, settle, Educ, PP, Chem, Sci Meth, Elec, unused
    1 GA: 1st Golden Age
    2 GM: Trade Mission, 2nd Golden Age
    2 GE: saved for UN - settled by mistake; 2nd Golden Age
    2 GSpies: (near end of game) 2 Espionage Missions

12. Deckhand

Captured cities can go into revolt. And can flip to other civs. But they will not flip to the civ you captured it from, unless that option is checked.

Cities can only revolt/flip if they are in the culture of another city. My approach was to take those other cities before the first came out of revolt. I did have an 8 percent chance of revolt for a few turns. I assume it would still take two revolts for the flip?

13. Deckhand

Playing botm for first time since Win10. Solved installation by copying game files from my old computer. Just happy that I can play. But ...

I had the same problem/symptoms trying to Alt-Tab and then trying windowed mode.
    Also when in windowed mode, it would switch out of full screen to smaller and not let me resize it.

:mad:

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Much easier in Linux. I have two workspaces, so can have Firefox and whatnot in one, the game in the other, and switch between them with ease, without the common problems of Alt-Tabbing in Windows.